• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

Wollan

EyeBanner.jpg

Latest News:

• September 15th: Set 3 Expansion with Trophies to launch October 16th!
• August: 1st World Championship took place
• March 27th: Set 2 Expansion is now released!

-----------------------------
October 6th 2007:

Welcome!
Light up the candles, equip your magical capes and shuffle your decks!
Join the rest of NeoGAF discovering uncharted territory in the ever expanding video gaming frontier. At last, user interactivity between man and machine has reached such a level that we can summon heroes and monsters by our very own hand. It's an experience not to be taken lightly, deep strategy and early morning hours await. You can play it without the aid of machinery but if you opt to use the PS3 true 4D(!) gaming lies ahead. Place your cards before the PlayStation Eye (of Judgment) and watch as summonings appear on your telly. Play on your own, against people in your presence or go online and challenge the world. Unlike anything before it, The Eye of Judgment can truly be called, The Beginning.

• Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment (in partnership with Hasbro & Wizards of the Coast)
• Developer: SCEJ Studio Japan
• Platform: PlayStation 3
• Genre: 4D card game
• Price: (complete package) $69.99
• Release date: Out now worldwide. Supplies are very short however (sold out at various locations).

• http://www.eojmanager.com/
• http://www.lbshooters.com/

e1.jpg
e2.jpg

card.jpg
e3.jpg

In Europe we have to pay a bit more it seems but this may partly be down to better packaging:
2rhbced.jpg

Official PR said:
Sony Computer Entertainment introduces a new concept in trading card games with THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™ developed exclusively for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Utilizing Hasbro® and its Wizards of the Coast subsidiary’s trading card expertise, the immense power of the PS3® system, and the PLAYSTATION®Eye, Sony’s groundbreaking next-generation USB camera for PS3, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT provides a visually stunning experience that adds a third dimension to the trading card game genre.

Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, JAPAN Studio, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT presents a new style of gameplay where collectable trading cards, embedded with a CyberCode, are brought to life in the 3D game through use of the innovative PLAYSTATION Eye. Players compete by selecting a card and placing the coded card in front of the PLAYSTATION Eye for their respective creatures to come to life and battle on screen. Players take turns placing cards as they jostle for control; the winner is the first player to conquer five of the nine squares of the “9 Fields” battle mat. The gamers task is to conquer the board by deploying their cards more skillfully than their opponent.

Players have four ways to play THE EYE OF JUDGMENT, single player against their PS3, against an opponent in two-player mode, against an opponent online, or letting the PS3 play out a round with the cards the player owns. THE EYE OF JUDGMENT comes with a starter deck of 30 character and spell cards manufactured by Hasbro. Pre-constructed decks and booster packs, sold separately in stores, can be purchased to strategically build the perfect deck using the 110 cards unique cards available.

KEY FEATURES
A revolutionary new way to use the PS3 system, based on traditional trading card games and given a new dimension in 3D by next-generation technology.
Developed in collaboration with Hasbro and its Wizards of the Coast subsidiary that produces MAGIC: THE GATHERING.
Four ways to play - player vs. PS3, player vs. player offline, player vs. player online, PS3 vs. PS3 using players own deck.
High Definition 3D animated characters and vehicles come to life seamlessly into the on camera view of your tabletop.
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT will be bundled with PLAYSTATION Eye, 9 Fields mat, stand, a starter deck of 30 cards, and a booster pack of 8 cards. More than 100 different characters and spells will be offered via additional booster packs and pre-constructed decks, available at major retail chains.
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT is a socially engaging title that will appeal to gamers of all ages and abilities.

Official FAQ said:
1. There is only one “E” in JUDGMENT
First off, not to sound like a middle school teacher, but I wanted to clarify the proper spelling of the word “JUDGMENT”. Notice that there is no “E” after “JUDG”. With apologies to our UK gamers, this is the correct spelling - according to Wikipedia (and no this definition wasn’t doctored by me or other SCE employee’s…figured I’d beat some of you to that snipe).

2. Pricing = $69.99
Yep, you’ve heard it here first. The SRP for THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software bundle in the US is $69.99. The bundle includes the following:
• THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software (disc case, manual, Blu-ray disc)
• PLAYSTATION Eye camera ($39.99 standalone price)
• Judgment (camera) stand
• 9 Fields Battle Mat
• (1) Starter deck (includes 30 Summoning Cards + 4 Function Cards)
• (1) Booster pack (includes 8 randomly inserted Summoning Cards with one guaranteed to be rare or ultra rare)
Additionally, Summoning Cards will be sold separately in the form of Booster Packs and pre-constructed Theme Decks, available by Wizards of the Coast.
• Booster Pack: SRP = $3.75
• Pre-constructed Theme Deck: SRP = $14.99 (Five different Theme Decks available. Each fully playable and include a bonus Summoner’s Companion book with background, play tips and card lists)

3. Availability
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT will ship to North American stores on 10/23 to sync with a global launch by the end of October. With a global rollout, gamers on the PLAYSTATION Network will be able to battle against fellow EOJ players from around the world.

4. Expansion Packs
The October launch of THE EYE OF JUDGMENT and its Summoning Cards introduces the first in a long series of card sets available for play. Stay tuned for further announcements on upcoming expansion packs and new Summoning Cards. Each new set will consist of more powerful creatures and spells to introduce new strategies and gameplay mechanics to refresh the EOJ gaming experience.

5. Online cheating
The most popular question we’ve heard revolves around online cheating. Mainly, “What’s going to prevent players from ‘stacking the deck’ when playing online?” – meaning, cheating your card draw so you get your best cards from the start. Fortunately, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT introduces a new paradigm in drawing cards when playing against your opponents online. First, you’ll have to register and save your Summoning Deck, offline. Then, when logged on, you select the Summoning Deck you wish to play. Once paired up with your opponent, the PS3 will automatically shuffle and randomly pull your cards for you. Once these cards are selected, you must pull these cards from your ‘physical’ deck and draw them to your hand and play the Summoning Cards on the Battle Mat, as normal.

Take a peek at a new video that we created to help outline this completely unique gaming experience merging the best of two worlds – video games and trading card battles. Enjoy!

Future of EOJ said:
Expansion schedule
Two years of expansion content is currently planned. The first 100-card expansion is due out four months after release (February). http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=485

Expansion distribution
You will be able to acquire expansions--which will introduce both new game mechanics as well as 100 new cards--either from retailers or through PlayStation Network. Sony also plans to release new updated editions of the main game as expansions are released. http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=538

Source - Chris Remo - Shacknews

Stuff:

PennyEOJ.jpg

• Penny Arcade falls in love with EOJ and provides a thorough guide on how to play the game

• The Online Features detailed by our very own TTP, Good stuff

• Booster packs & Elemental Starter Decks

• Right Click and Save - Complete card list .PDF

• Official EOJ website (a lot of lore and info)

• Official EOJ forum

• Wollan photos of EU/AU EOJ package

neogaf1.gif

• NeoGAF EOJ Online thread: The Round Table, hook up with gaffers for online matches!

Reviews:

• Gametrailers.com - 8.3
• GameZone - 8.3
• IGN - 8.0
• Famitsu - 8/8/8/9
• Spielspass - 80%
[URL="http://www.ps3only.nl/nieuwsitem.php?nid=7464"]• Dutch OPM - 80%
[/URL]
• PC World - 80%
• GamingTrend - 8.0
• Ars Technica - 8
• EGM - 8/8/8
• Game Revolution - 75%
• Gamespot - 7.5
• Edge - Conan > EOJ lol

Videos & Trailers:

• 53min Gameplay Video (Player vs CPU) @ Gametrailers.com
• Tutorial Trailer HD @ Gametrailers.com
• Overview Video HD @ Gametrailers.com
• Intro HD @ Gametrailers.com
• TGS 07 Trailer HD @ Gametrailers.com
• E3 07 Trailer HD @ Gametrailers.com

Screens:

ej2.jpg

ej1.jpg

ej3.jpg

ej4.jpg

ej5.jpg

ej6.jpg

i799w6.jpg

ej7.png

art1.jpg

Wollan

I think they react just in one standard way when touched. The actual tech demo where you can lift and roll the card around with your hand is included with the full game.

Perfect thread, Wollan.

I am here to pick up my Eye of Judgment robe and +5 Staff of Awesome.

$59.99 locked in at Amazon.com, bitches!

I have a real concern over cheating on this game, I know they've mentioned they are making every effort but the lengths some people will go to...

Opus Angelorum said:
I have a real concern over cheating on this game, I know they've mentioned they are making every effort but the lengths some people will go to...

Play with your friends. It solves all of xbox lives issues for me.

Wollan

You have to register your deck for the camera (only once, stores it on the HDD). The game automatically chooses what cards you should use.

Belfast

Seriously one of my most anticipated games of the season.

I'm hoping it'll win over a lot of people not normally interested in playing CCGs.

Opus Angelorum said:
I do, shame you have to though.

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully the deck registration will help. Not sure it will stop people from reg'ing 4-5 copies of cool cards though.

Plus if the cards can be scanned and distributed on the net, that kinda kills the collectable part of it. =(

I have high hopes for this game, esp. after going a few rounds at Wizard World Chicago.

Belfast

Opus Angelorum said:
I never knew what CCG meant until I read about this game, so I guess it's working :)

I don't think a lot of people really understand them in general, to be frank. It's not all about arguing over Yu-Gi-Oh! cards.

Wollan

krypt0nian said:
Plus if the cards can be scanned and distributed on the net, that kinda kills the collectable part of it. =(

Not sure how easy that is to do as it has reflective surfaces and stuff.

card.jpg

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Hate to admit it but i was reallly into yu-gi-oh card games (the video game kind), and i miss the whole building a deck thing. Don't know much about this but i will look at the vids and see if it tickles my fancy :x

dfyb

Banned
if you have a ps3, you might as well get it. $69.99 for a game, some cards, and the playstation eye. excellent deal.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Kaz did deliver! Welcome to the 4D Era!!

(Seriously, I don't know why, but this game looks cool and revolutionary to me).

Speevy

Banned
I just hope Sony supports the Playstation Eye with lots of free software and inexpensive downloadable games.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
You have to register your deck for the camera (only once, stores it on the HDD). The game automatically chooses what cards you should use.

And you can only have a 30 cards deck. So assuming you have like 100 cards, you can only bring 30 of them online. There are various registered deck slots you can save your cards onto and name as you wish (see the Deck Builder option in one of the screens in the OP). So you can like create a deck rich of Fire Element creatures and call it "Firestorm" or another one with lots of Summons and call it "Megaton" or a more balanced one named er... "Balanced". You then select which one of these decks you want to use online (or offline) and so the PS3 knows what's in there. During the game it asks you to draw the cards IT says from the deck, cos it's a bit like Poker: you cant choose your hand :)

Therefore no, there is no chance in hell you can cheat online.

You can land your dick on the grid tho.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cjelly said:
They missed out the 'e' in the title.

Not really...

The spelling judgment is found in the Authorized Version of the Bible. However, the spelling judgement (with e added) largely replaced judgment in the United Kingdom in a non-legal context, possibly because writing dg without a following e for the /dʒ/ was seen as an incorrect spelling. In the context of the law, however, judgment is preferred. In the U.S. judgment strongly prevails. As with many such spelling differences, both forms are equally acceptable in Canada and Australia, although judgment is more common in Canada and judgement in Australia.[1] In New Zealand the form judgment is the preferred spelling in dictionaries, newspapers and legislation, although the variant judgement can also be found in all three categories. In South Africa, judgement is the more common form. See further at American and British English spelling differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment#Spelling

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TTP said:
I live in the UK and do not know anyone that would spell judgement without the 'e'.

It's also confusing for the game, because some retailers have it down with the 'e' (the UK spelling), and some have it with the games' title spelling, so searching for it is slightly annoying.

(Example: Play.com have the booster packs listed as 'Eye of Judgement Booster Pack', while the game is down as 'Eye of Judgment'. So searching for one will not bring up the other.)

Wollan

TTP said:
There are various registered deck slots you can save your cards onto and name as you wish (see the Deck Builder option in one of the screens in the OP). So you can like create a deck rich of Fire Element creatures and call it "Firestorm"

That is great. Multiple strategies ready to go as you create them.
I'm guessing you're reviewing it, what do you think about the game so far?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cjelly said:
I live in the UK and do not know anyone that would spell judgement without the 'e'.

It's also confusing for the game, because some retailers have it down with the 'e' (the UK spelling), and some have it with the games' title spelling, so searching for it is slightly annoying.

(Example: Play.com have the booster packs listed as 'Eye of Judgement Booster Pack', while the game is down as 'Eye of Judgment'. So searching for one will not bring up the other.)

Guess it's gonna sell more in US then :p

IzumiK

Banned
Wollan said:
The same pretty much:

36741.jpg

Good... cuz this site... http://www.choicesuk.com/Product.aspx/!826518 has that banner you put up as box art... >_>;;

826518_lp.jpg

umm not to diss your banner XD

Does anyone know a better place to import EU Eye of Judgment?

I really want a BOX instead of PLASTIC rape. And I doubt anyone knows if cards are region protected... like Japanese cards working on NA region Eye of Judgment.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Man... I really, REALLY want Eye of Judgment.... but I don't want to get sucked into buying booster packs, etc. I wish you could earn all the cards in the game itself.

VonGak!

Banned
Wollan said:
I think they react just in one standard way when touched. The actual tech demo where you can lift and roll the card around with your hand is included with the full game.

Neat, that alone is a selling point to me may it be a gimmic or not.

Top Bottom