• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

Kariido

Banned
Helzown said:
Not that I care, but I heard that it absolutely doesn't.

Oh really? I heard a while ago about how its much better than the Eyetoy and that it works fine in dark settings and it runs at like a constant 60 fps and has a great resolution and all this other stuff.

Tideas

Banned
Kariido said:
Oh really? I heard a while ago about how its much better than the Eyetoy and that it works fine in dark settings and it runs at like a constant 60 fps and has a great resolution and all this other stuff.

wanna link where you heard all thi from?

Helzown

Kariido said:

I can't remember where I originally heard it, but I did just find this;

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/822/822743p1.html

But I was never into the whole EyeToy thing, so it doesn't really bother me.

Kariido

Banned
Anyways, this game is going to be sweet. Once the game arrives we should make a list of people who own it so we can play together.

dfyb

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Picture24-1.jpg
yeah i just checked mine too. still $59.99 (though it's now listed at $69.99 on the product page) and i still have free shipping too :D

it did ask me to approve my order though because of a delay. expected to ship october 27th =/

Kariido

Banned
Chromax said:
I wish I got it when it was 59.99 on Amazon...=(

Why did I chose to wait a few more days that time!!!
Yeah but its only 10 bucks more. And it comes with so much stuff, its a amazing deal.

Chromax

Kariido said:
Yeah but its only 10 bucks more. And it comes with so much stuff, its a amazing deal.

I'm still getting it of course, along with one of those booster box on eBay right now. :D

Tideas

Banned
Isn't this official thread a week early? I thought official thread can only be started a week before release?

Chromax

Kariido said:
Wait the like 102.00 dollar booster boxes?

Yeah, but there's 36 packs so it's a pretty decent deal. I have some money to spare since I don't have too many games to pick up for the rest of the year. (Prob only Bladestorm and Smash Bro)

Kinan

Does EU price is known already?

EDIT: damn, its 99Euro on Amazon.de. Probably would be cheaper to import from http://www.videogamesplus.ca, 58Euro there before shipping. I'm bit cautious though because I'm not 100% sure that US Eye will be fully PAL compatible, being non-HD.

EDIT2: not really cheaper anyway, shipping is 27Euro, so I guess I have to settle for EU version anyway.

Wollan

The game is listed as 59.99 British pounds on Amazon.co.uk but I doubt that's final.
Anyways..

People seem confused about the PS Eye. It's a huge advancement over the Eyetoy:
Camera

PlayStation Eye is capable of capturing standard video with high frame rates of 60 hertz at a 640x480 pixel resolution, and 120 hertz at 320x240 pixels,[1] which is "four times the resolution" and "two times the frame-rate" of the EyeToy, according to Sony.[7]

The PlayStation Eye also has "two times the sensitivity" of the EyeToy,[7] with Sony collaborating with sensor chip partner OmniVision Technologies on a sensor chip design using larger sensor pixels, allowing for more effective low-light operation.[4] Sony states that the PlayStation Eye can produce "reasonable quality video" under the illumination provided by a television set.[7]

The camera features a two-setting adjustable fixed focus zoom lens, with a 56-degree field of view setting similar to that of the EyeToy,[7], suited for close-up framing in chat applications; and 75-degree field of view setting suited for long shot framing in interactive physical gaming applications.[1]

The PlayStation Eye is capable of outputting video to the console uncompressed,[1] with "no compression artefacts"[7]; or with optional JPEG compression.[1]

[edit]
Microphone

The PlayStation Eye features a built-in four-capsule[1] microphone array, with which the PlayStation 3 can employ[7] technologies for multi-directional voice location tracking, echo cancellation, and background noise suppression; allowing the peripheral to be used for speech recognition and audio chat in noisy environments without the use of a headset.[1] The PlayStation Eye microphone array operates with each channel processing 16-bit samples at a sampling rate of 48 kilohertz, and a signal-to-noise ratio of 90 decibels.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Eye

Playstationeye.jpg

Kariido

Banned
Chromax said:
Yeah, but there's 36 packs so it's a pretty decent deal. I have some money to spare since I don't have too many games to pick up for the rest of the year. (Prob only Bladestorm and Smash Bro)
Hmm yeah, maybe all pick one up before the end of christmas.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
yah the pseye truly is a big step over the original, people seem to have that mixed up, if anything get it for a nice mic:D . This game appears to be a sleeper hit, lack of hype makes me nervous, I'm looking forward to reviews, this could be HUGE for sony if it can take off. Maybe konami would make a yugioh game?

Kariido

Banned
msdstc said:
yah the pseye truly is a big step over the original, people seem to have that mixed up, if anything get it for a nice mic:D . This game appears to be a sleeper hit, lack of hype makes me nervous, I'm looking forward to reviews, this could be HUGE for sony if it can take off. Maybe konami would make a yugioh game?
Maybe Sony could advertise this a lot! Some commericals would work.

Steroyd

Kariido said:
Maybe Sony could advertise this a lot! Some commericals would work.

It's definately something Sony needs to advertise to distinguish themselves from Nintendo and MS this Christmas.

Wollan

While we have a good grasp on technology and yet still find this to be pretty rad, I think it could really capture the imagination for a lot of people out there if marketed correctly.

F-Pina

This is very interesting.
I was into card games (Magic the Gathering) in the 90s but then got fed up with the constant "launches" of new cards so me and my brother built a solid deck a never bought any more cards. We ended up selling everything years later for a good price... not everything, we gave away the land cards :p

I was not thinking of buying first, but after the announcement of the final price i will definitly get it. Specially since it brings the camera and stand which is useful for me all on its own.

Buying this and getting two solid decks to play with for the next months or year without buying more cards is the way to go for me and some of my friends.

VonGak!

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
This game will either be a huge flop or a huge hit.

Nonono my dear, like My SingStar and Buzz TV Quiz this game is a way of preparing/establishing the franchises for when PS3 hits the casual market price range.

^.^ The user-base isn't there yet nor is it expected to.

Wollan

I think they said 4-6 months after the game release.
Booster packs and Starter decks will be available from day one though.

Wollan said:
I think they said 4-6 months after the game release.
Booster packs and Starter decks will be available from day one though.

Drools.

Wollan, anychance you can free up a space on your PSn friends list for me? I can't run a Biolith RunDown deck on you otherwise!

Steroyd

I hate you Gaf.

First your awesome Resistance clan makes me buy a PS3 earlier than I thought I could hold out, then your Warhawk hype makes me buy a full game off PSN instead of a retail disc, now I'm uber tempted to get EOJ.

I never had this peer pressure getting a PS2 and it's games. :mad:

Samuray

Kinan said:
Does EU price is known already?

EDIT: damn, its 99Euro on Amazon.de. Probably would be cheaper to import from http://www.videogamesplus.ca, 58Euro there before shipping. I'm bit cautious though because I'm not 100% sure that US Eye will be fully PAL compatible, being non-HD.

EDIT2: not really cheaper anyway, shipping is 27Euro, so I guess I have to settle for EU version anyway.

Huh? When did that happen?
I placed my order not too long ago, and the game is 50,48€ while shipping costs are 5,40€. Did they change that - ? If so, should I worry about the amount they will charge my credit card with? My order summary is still intact...

I have the game.

Proof: here's my hand holding a Infernal Sciondar Dragon (look it up once it's released):
2597210_95.jpg

The review box is awesome. It's a big square box with trays that you can pull out of the sides, which interlink somehow so that two extend at once. It has all the stuff from the retail version except the booster pack.

Camera quality isn't impressive in "decent" light conditions. Not as horrible as the original anyway, but outputting 640*480 on a 720p set isn't cool. Would it have been too hard to actually have a camera that captures stuff in HD quality?

Card recognition works fairly well and takes a second or so. Then it keeps track of the cards, but occasionally it will ask you to replace a card that is still there so you just have to nudge it a bit. If you pick up a card (in the card identification option) you can carry around the monster on it and play with it a bit, as long as your fingers don't obscure the barcode too much and you keep it within the camera view.

I haven't really tried the gameplay too much. Seems fairly straight-forward, kind of how I remember Triple Triad. Gonna try later with a stronger lamp to avoid the replacement annoyances.

Disclaimer: I have a rather dark room lit with a single 60W light. A directed light on the cloth board should do the trick. Maybe Penny Arcade will need to do a sequel to the classic GBA strip...

VonGak! said:
Nonono my dear, like My SingStar and Buzz TV Quiz this game is a way of preparing/establishing the franchises for when PS3 hits the casual market price range.

^.^ The user-base isn't there yet nor is it expected to.

So you're saying it's gonna flop

Helznicht

A very creative spin on a tried and true genre. This is the kind of game you pick a new platform up for, good job Sony.

Can anyone loan me $500? :lol :(

calder

Madman said:
It would have cost a bunch of money if that's what you are asking.
We recently priced "low end" HD cameras for video conferencing equipment at work. "omfg" is all I can say to the price tags I was seeing. I'm sure they'd be cheaper for an Eye-like devide that doesn't have to pan and tilt, but still well beyond putting in a console peripheral I'm sure.

Mesijs

I have the game (review version, the box) and do not particularly like the gameplay. It's a lot like Magic: The Gathering (I played Magic a lot) but the PS3 or the graphics don't add too much. It does add a bit, like remembering health etc. But in the end, it is just a trading card game and one I don't really enjoy because the dumb setup of nine different fields, which is a concession for the PS Eye.

Just my opinion, but only played a few games. SO it's just a first impression.

andy_lhc

Guys, I was just wondering about the theme decks being sold in the Amazon. Will the EOJ starter deck be one of those themes decks on sale ? Or will it have a totally different type of theme decks?

Kariido

Banned
andy_lhc said:
Guys, I was just wondering about the theme decks being sold in the Amazon. Will the EOJ starter deck be one of those themes decks on sale ? Or will it have a totally different type of theme decks?
I heard but can't be completley sure that the game which comes with a starter deck will be any one of the random theme decks. I'm sure the rest of the theme decks ill be sold on Amazon.

Chromax

andy_lhc said:

I think it's not going to be a theme deck, it'll prob be a starter deck and not as good as a theme deck.

Chromax

andy_lhc said:
So that means I have to spend more money on theme decks + booster packs + expansion ? :(

I don't think you need a theme deck, you can just enhance your starter deck with boosters.

Mesijs said:
I have the game (review version, the box) and do not particularly like the gameplay. It's a lot like Magic: The Gathering (I played Magic a lot) but the PS3 or the graphics don't add too much. It does add a bit, like remembering health etc. But in the end, it is just a trading card game and one I don't really enjoy because the dumb setup of nine different fields, which is a concession for the PS Eye.

Just my opinion, but only played a few games. SO it's just a first impression.
Surprise surprise, you didn't enjoy a PS3 game.

andy_lhc

Chromax said:
I don't think you need a theme deck, you can just enhance your starter deck with boosters.
Oh, I see. Sorry, this is actually my first card trading game. I thought I have to get all these to get started...:D

Top Bottom