• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Eye of Judgment - The Official Thread

Wollan

Well, it goes a bit beyond just creating a drawing (not that I don't find the art of the various card games amazing). They have already said that an add-on set will be released in early spring next year.

Speevy

Banned
Get a friends list full of people who have this game, because you know there aren't going to be very many people playing it right away.

PAYBACKill

cjelly said:
I live in the UK and do not know anyone that would spell judgement without the 'e'.

It's also confusing for the game, because some retailers have it down with the 'e' (the UK spelling), and some have it with the games' title spelling, so searching for it is slightly annoying.

(Example: Play.com have the booster packs listed as 'Eye of Judgement Booster Pack', while the game is down as 'Eye of Judgment'. So searching for one will not bring up the other.)

get over it, you are wrong.

(Example: Dictionary.com )

I always hate when people screw up and spell it with the extra e in it.

Wollan

Should be more than enough games around and I'm guessing most of the folks buying into this are pretty dedicated as well. Probably a very low number of scumbags compared to other game types.

spwolf

WTF Sony, where the F is the E? First BC and now this?

lol. Cant wait to get it though... Hopefully it wont be crazy expensive here.

spwolf

Wollan said:
Should be more than enough games around and I'm guessing most of the folks buying into this are pretty dedicated as well. Probably a very low number of scumbags compared to other game types.

it should be mentioned that during that Wizards trade show, ppl liked it there, and those ppl are serious about their cards games...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
That is great. Multiple strategies ready to go as you create them.
I'm guessing you're reviewing it, what do you think about the game so far?

It's a CCG. Plain and simple, as the PS3 acts kinda like a virtual "referee". It doesn't really add anything to experience that you cannot recreate with your immagination. Anyway, I'm not too experienced in these kind of games so I'll try my best here.

It took me three afternoons of WTFs to beat the CPU once. And I had to set the AI to "Beginner" (default is Normal, and lower than that is Amateur and then Beginner - so yeah, I had to play with a virtual 4 yrs kid to win). This means game is pretty hard and requires a lot of strategical thinking plus some good probabilistic calculations. There is no "story mode" nor rewards for solo players. You beat the CPU and that's it. This game is ment as a mean to play a CCG with others, either off or online. You can think of the offline game as a training ground, useful to learn the cards and the tactics. Sadly, I only played the game against the CPU cos servers dont seem to be up yet.

So, about the game. It's pretty complex despite the 9-slots grid and the basic win requisite: conquer 5 grids. The main thing is the mana. You start with very few mana points and for each card you need to spend some. The strongest the card, the more mana you need to put it on the grid. At every turn you get 2 mana points so you might want to refrain dropping a card (you can end turns without acting by just showing the "End Turn" card to the "Eye") in order to build enough mana to use a card you got in your hands. Before placing a card on the grid you can order an action to the cards already on the grid. You just place the "Action Card" on the card and it automatically attacks. If there are multiple targets you can attack, game asks you to select the target (you use the D-pad for this). Once you have placed a card, the turn ends. Regarding the mana system, there are cards that allow you to sacrify one of your cards (you litteraly remove it from your hand) in change for mana points. So say you wanna use a 5 MP creature but only 3 MP at your disposal and dont want to wait for the next turn, if you have that special card you can show it to the Eye, the Eye asks you to show him the discarded card from your hand, and then you are given those 2 MP. Now you can use that 5 MP creature. Oh, when one of your creature is killed or moved around the grid, the PS3 asks you to remove/move the physical card accordingly before proceeding. You can't "forget" to remove a burned card from the grid as the Eye is watching you. Ok, so. There are various creatures associated with the cards, with different MP requirements and also elemental alignement. The grid is composed of 9 squares, each one associated with a given element. You put water on water, you get a special +2 Health bonus of something. You put fire on water, u get -2, which woud mean instant death is the creature has 2 HP. You also get some special abilities when putting a creature on an element he's not alined to but to which he's not opposite. Sorry for my bad english I'm tired yes. Anyway, this is how it works: Fire and Water hate eachother, but Fire and Earth are kinda ok. You dont get those extra +2 HP if you place an Fire creature on a Earth spot but you might be getting some other special ability, like if you die, the enemy that killed you is transferred to your spot (which would be good if the enemy is Fire and the square is Water ya know) or if you die, you get a couple MP. And so on. Some "Hearthquake" cards allow to flip squares and change their Elemental alignment (each face of a Square has a specific Elemental texture, you can see what's underneth by looking at the tetragon in the lower right corner of a square), some enemies have attacks the damage Creature of the same Element or that are standing on square of the same elements and so so. So element is important. As well as mana. Basically it's not just a rock/paper/scissor thing you know. It's much more deep than that.

Now, when you put all this together you get a very tought game of forward thinking with the randomness that comes from not knowing what card you are gonna draw next (as you cannot choose them but have to pick up blindly from the top of the deck). Basically EOJ ends up being like a chess + poker + rock/paper/scissor game with elements and mana stuff on top of it.

Graphics are very nice and you can switch off the combat animation if you got tired of them and wanna speed up things.

I'm goind to bed now.

IzumiK

Banned
Wollan said:
I can't but where are you located actually and what's the situation?

The situation is... =O I could go through the site but those sites I have from this other thread kinda suck. 1 is closed, 1 doesn't have it and the other is that one I linked which seems pretty expensive.

I mean.... £69.99 is GB Pounds right? That's like 140 CAD! Is that the actual retail price or are they just raping importers?

=(

Well I just want the box and I don't really want to buy both US and Japanese version just get an English version with a box to put in.

So TTP, how well does it work? i.e. does it only read the card 8 times out of 10 or what. Howabout the actual card game, is it hardcore? I'm probably going to pick it up anyway mainly because I'm enamoured with the tech, I've never actually played a CCG before though, will that be a problem?

edit: wow, beaten, and in style too. Nice write up, sounds pretty hardcore.

Wollan

Thanks a bunch TTP. Also, I'm relieved we can turn off the animations. In an interview this summer the team went like 'umm, we haven't included that option, maybe we should'. Dodged that one.

MoxManiac

I'll consider it if you guys are gonna get it. I'm not too jazed about another CCG, I already play two online (Magic Online and Stargate TCG Online)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
freethought said:
So TTP, how well does it work? i.e. does it only read the card 8 times out of 10 or what.

No way. It's perfectly accurate and fast at reading the cards.

Howabout the actual card game, is it hardcore?

To my n00b experience, yes.

I'm probably going to pick it up anyway mainly because I'm enamoured with the tech, I've never actually played a CCG before though, will that be a problem?

Kids will own you online I'm afraid. :lol

Tideas

Banned
TTP said:

*1 month from now*

Halo has nothing on Eye of Judgment when it comes to smack talk by 12 year olds

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
Thanks a bunch TTP. Also, I'm relieved we can turn off the animations. In an interview this summer the team went like 'umm, we haven't included that option, maybe we should'. Dodged that one.

That's funny cos I asked the same question to the producer at E3 and got the same response. I was glad to see that option in there eventually.

Chromax

MoxManiac said:
Do the cards have rarities (common, uncommon, rare) like other CCGs? I hope they've balanced the set well..

Yes

Common
Uncommon
Rare
Ultra Rare

There's also some Phantom rare, which you'll only know what it does after scanning it. Could be either the highest rarity or another form of ultra rares.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
I see some screens with maps and such, is that a lexicon for where all the creatures come from?

Didnt dig that part too much but that's basically an option for the card viewer thing (the one where you can see the creatures freely moving them around). The stardard view shows the mat. You place the card on the mat, and the creature is summoned on the top of it. You move the card+creature to the bottom left circle and a window appears with text telling you what's that. There is an option to see the world map on the top of all this so that when you check a creature ID, the map moves to show you the geographical origin of that creature, which basically refers to the Elemental alignment.

Wollan

MoxManiac said:
Do the cards have rarities (common, uncommon, rare) like other CCGs? I hope they've balanced the set well..
Yes. The starter sets obviously have a certain number of all the categories (common/uncommon/rare x spell/creature). The booster packs have 7 common and 1 uncommon or rare I believe.

TTP said:

Thanks, and don't worry about those kids. A nice close-up of my balls and they'll never go near a camera again (seriously, I should really go see a doctor).

Link Man

Banned
Wollan said:
Yes. The starter sets obviously have a certain number of all the categories (common/uncommon/rare x spell/creature). The booster packs have 7 common and 1 uncommon or rare I believe.

istockphoto_1621568_money_pit.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:

Sadly the review code comes just with the starter set. One of the reasons I was ass kicked by the AI at the beginnning was because it used both the starter and the booster pack creatures as they are pre-recorded on the disc but I couldn't summon them cos I didnt have the actual cards. I had to rebuild a new stock with just "my" cards in order to play with a balanced opponent. You can "force" the AI to play with the same deck you got. Or not. Which is cool as you can set up different situations to test different decks against eachother. There is also a CPU vs CPU option to help you out understanding which deck is the best to bring online.

spwolf

TTP said:
Sadly the review code comes just with the starter set. One of the reasons I was ass kicked by the AI at the beginnning was because it used both the starter and the booster pack creatures as they are pre-recorded on the disc but I couldn't summon them cos I didnt have the actual cards. I had to rebuild a new stock with just "my" cards in order to play with a balanced opponent. You can "force" the AI to play with the same deck you got. Or not. Which is cool as you can set up different situations to test different decks against eachother. There is also a CPU vs CPU option to help you out understanding which deck is the best to bring online.

seems as if some italian mags will give it nice score :D

dfyb

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Early adopter team GOOOOOOOOOO
reporting in :D

so the price will stick? i was going to cancel and pick it up at a store if they bumped the price up at amazon.

dfyb said:
reporting in :D

so the price will stick? i was going to cancel and pick it up at a store if they bumped the price up at amazon.

Well since the official price has been known for some times now, and Amazon hasn't emailed us, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Time will tell. Believe.

Steroyd

krypt0nian said:
Jump in. We'll be there for you.

Imagine Yu-Gi-Oh with this tech or Pokemon curse Nintendo not going third party. :mad:

I like these bundles, Warhawk with a wireless headset, EOJ with a PS Eye now UT3 needs to come bundled with a KBM and I'm kitted out.

And as a British folk that is spitting me in the eye Judgement without two 'e's since when, first time I've ever seen that.

Souther

Banned
I am pretty much a shoe in for this on Oct 23. The game looks too fun to pass up and i think online would be pretty damn fun.

the only thing i can see as an advantage for someone is that if they are able to buy more cards then someone else then they have the advantage of better cards and can probably just blow people away. But i guess everybody will be pretty much equal when it first comes out because we don't know when the 1st booster paks will be purchasable.

Top Bottom