• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The family drama in Breaking Bad is excruciating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. I think she wrote an article about it actually.

Whenever I saw someone call her a "bitch" or something along those lines in reaction to her getting angry at Walt (for, you know, lying about terrible things) it told me so much about them.

am I a sexist for thinking that it was kinda fucked up that she was smoking while pregnant

aravuus

I also hated Marie and Skyler. I don't really remember them having a particularly big role or impact from season 3 onwards, though, which is where I started loving the show.

I should re-watch it.

SoulUnison

Banned
Absolutely. I think she wrote an article about it actually.

Whenever I saw someone call her a "bitch" or something along those lines in reaction to her getting angry at Walt (for, you know, lying about terrible things) it told me so much about them.

SKYLER: "Walter, you need to stop manufacturing hard drugs. Also, you've killed a bunch of people, and at least one of them was a totally innocent child. You're way off the rails and I strongly disapprove."

AUDIENCE: "What a bitch!"

am I a sexist for thinking that it was kinda fucked up that she was smoking while pregnant

It's definitely not supposed to be a shining moment for her, and it's a pretty poor decision on her part, just like the affair with Ted.
To me, however, the takeaway from those situations was that Skyler has basically no control over her life or her marriage and she's not emotionally equipped for things to be getting this bad this quickly.
It's petty. It's hard to defend. It's also extremely human and relatable.

SoulUnison

Banned
#Walterdidnothingwrong

You realize he straight up murders several people, sometimes directly, over the course of the show, right?

latest

Tell me more about how "Walter did nothing wrong."
And I hope to high heavens the opinion is more along the lines of "he's an entertaining anti-hero" rather than "Skyler was so stifling and boring this was all inevitable."

Sunster

Sometimes I wished Skylar would just snap at Walt Jr. and tell him to get the fuck out of her house with his attitude.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I feel like if I was less casual in my creation of this thread and more acknowledging of how polarizing and dramatic the community is with Walt being a villain or a hero, and Skylar being a bitch or realistic, I probably would have had second thoughts.

Frustration over Marie's overreaction of Walt Jr. smoking weed inspired me to start a discussion and now I kind of regret it. I honestly don't have deep thoughts or moral quarrels with the obviously horrific things people do in the show.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't watch Breaking Bad as often as my girlfriend, but from what I did watch I do remember the family drama being annoying.

It reminds me a little of X-Files. Every time Scully's brother showed up and started causing drama it was so irritating.

I think you're hypocritical like most of the audience for exaggerating the scene where she smoked one cigarette before getting stared at and feeling immense shame before quitting, literally only one cigarette.
Meanwhile Walt brought axe murderers into their house.

Joyful

I was kinda hoping marie had a point in the last few seasons like she would try to get revenge or something

SoulUnison

Banned
Frustration over Marie's overreaction of Walt Jr. smoking weed inspired me to start a discussion and now I kind of regret it. I honestly don't have deep thoughts or moral quarrels with the obviously horrific things people do in the show.

Oof, this reminded me of how greatly I disliked Hank early on in the show when Marie asks him to "scare Walt Jr. straight" and he takes him on a ride to that seedy motel and basically just verbally tears down that prostitute right to her face with Walt Jr. sitting there, acting the whole time like it's just some funny "bro talk." If you had told me in that moment that Hank would become one of the more likable character in the series a few years down the line I would have been aghast.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You realize he straight up murders several people, sometimes directly, over the course of the show, right?

And I hope to high heavens the opinion is more along the lines of "he's an entertaining anti-hero" rather than "Skyler was so stifling and boring this was all inevitable."

That kid was killing spiders. He had it coming.

Zugma

This show is far less effective without Walt's family. Walt losing his family is one of the only consequences that he really stresses about, and his character needs that to make the drama work as well as it does.

Pretty sure this is a reference to the Hitler did nothing wrong thing, and the poster means it to be sarcastic.

Could be wrong, but that's what I got from it.

A protagonist can be a villain. I don't think Walt is a simple villain; but the story is partly about how he wants to be. "I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS" He's a poser villain who lives out a weird power fantasy and actually fucks shit up because he has a serious lack of general empathy (borderline sociopath, although he's capable of empathy he seems to completely lack it for strangers, as evidenced by him selling meth, killing meth dealers, and not seeming to give a shit about the plane crash.)
He's not a poser villain. He is a villain that gets a ton of shit done.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Oof, this reminded me of how greatly I disliked Hank early on in the show when Marie asks him to "scare Walt Jr. straight" and he takes him on a ride to that seedy motel and basically just verbally tears down that prostitute right to her face with Walt Jr. sitting there, acting the whole time like it's just some funny "bro talk." If you had told me in that moment that Hank would become one of the more likable character in the series a few years down the line I would have been aghast.

This is kind of more towards what I was interested in seeing opinions on but I doubt the discussion will go this way.

Rien

Jelly Belly
There were more annoying parts then enjoyable parts in this series for me.
Didnt like the family, didnt line Jessie and i didnt like Saul.
Walter was bad ass, so was Gus.

Sheroking

And there it is.

Annoying woman, getting an attitude when her husband is hiding the fact that he's a drug dealer from her. How dare she.

Seriously man, what is a "cookie cutter wife" exactly?

The problem with this is not everyone who hates her, hates her because she's "shrill" or whatever. There's more nuanced criticism of that character to be found, and you can't hand-wave it all away as sexism.

She starts the series as this babbling, selfish idiot hanging onto her unrealistic dream of being a published writer - forcing her husband to work an embarrassing second job to make things work for her and their disabled son. Her entire first season character arc was essentially to be irritating and help drive home the fact that Walt hates his life. This is reinforced by flashbacks to his old life, his ex and his hesitation to get treatment for cancer. What's to like about her? I don't even think it was a goal of the writers room to make her a person we like.

Then you get passed season 2 and the idea that he's only cooking meth because he wants to set up his family goes away entirely. So to give her something to do, you make her complicit and have her launder his money. You get to a point where she's not only barking orders, she implies that he should kill Jesse.

Which, cool, she's "breaking bad" too! Except, no, her evil husband gave her a scolding so now she's the victim. And now we have all these compelling episodes about robbing trains and pushing meth and the cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt broken up but these insufferable scenes where she's shouting "shut up! shut up! shut up!" and dramatically sitting at the bottom of pools.

I know there are people who overly relate to Walt and dislike her because she's a problem for him, but no, she's a less compelling character than many of the male characters. I put that on Vince Gilligan and company who maybe managed to make ONE female character interesting in that entire run - Lydia - and she appeared in only a dozen episodes.

I feel like if I was less casual in my creation of this thread and more acknowledging of how polarizing and dramatic the community is with Walt being a villain or a hero, and Skylar being a bitch or realistic, I probably would have had second thoughts.

Marie is definitely a weaker character for the most part. But without the family elements the show would just be an exhausting tale of growing drug kingpin taking down other kingpins. The show goes as far as to use different lighting and camera techniques between the two world just to further establish this difference in Walt's double life and how one is destroying the other.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The problem with this is not everyone who hates her, hates her because she's "shrill" or whatever. There's more nuanced criticism of that character to be found, and you can't hand-wave it all away as sexism.

She starts the series as this babbling, selfish idiot hanging onto her unrealistic dream of being a published writer - forcing her husband to work an embarrassing second job to make things work for her and their disabled son. Her entire first season character arc was essentially to be irritating and help drive home the fact that Walt hates his life. This is reinforced by flashbacks to his old life, his ex and his hesitation to get treatment for cancer. What's to like about her? I don't even think it was a goal of the writers room to make her a person we like.

Then you get passed season 2 and the idea that he's only cooking meth because he wants to set up his family goes away entirely. So to give her something to do, you make her complicit and have her launder his money. You get to a point where she's not only barking orders, she implies that he should kill Jesse.

Which, cool, she's "breaking bad" too! Except, no, her evil husband gave her a scolding so now she's the victim. And now we have all these compelling episodes about robbing trains and pushing meth and the cat-and-mouse game between Hank and Walt broken up but these insufferable scenes where she's shouting "shut up! shut up! shut up!" and dramatically sitting at the bottom of pools.

I know there are people who overly relate to Walt and dislike her because she's a problem for him, but no, she's a less compelling character than many of the male characters. I put that on Vince Gilligan and company who maybe managed to make ONE female character particularly compelling in that entire run - Lydia - and she appeared in only a dozen episodes.

props for expressing yourself more eloquently than I could

I never get the "Skylar is such a bitch" mentality, she's married to an lying, absent, meth-dealing psychopath, I think she's allowed a little sand in her vagina.

Exactly, I almost judge her for not leaving him.
Funny part about that, is that a lot of her haters when backed into a corner try to flip things around on people and respond with how she should have left him/is culpable/is enjoying the fruits of his money, when 9/10 times that is totally beside the point of whatever the person defending Skyler (such as myself) is saying, or doesn't even conflict with what they believe about her character, as if by pointing out Walt's issues or the abusive relationship she suffered through is claiming she's faultless.

Especially since Skyler literally admits to her culpability unlike Walt on multiple occasions.

And the money argument is ridiculous because aside from the scene where she splurged on some Wine or something, Skyler was incredibly conservative with the money/felt trapped by it on occasion and initially only got involved for it in order to help Hank (though still technically wrong).

The issue was when she got the initial thrill of the plotting and wanting to take charge, but once she got a taste of how deep this really went and got slapped by her concious the hole was dug too far, her hand was in too many pots, and Walt went full domestic abuse beyond his early season 3 domestic abuse and the bad decision making and meekness took over.

Van Bur3n

Never hated any particular character or the drama within the family. Felt they all acted quite appropriately in the situations they're all in. Skyler especially so. Her character was great from the point she got involved with Walt to the very end.

Laieon

Skyler subplot is fine. Marie's though goes basically to nowhere.

I agree that Marie's character doesn't really go anywhere story wise, but I in terms of characters themselves I thought Marie was pretty cool. Funny, but cool. I didn't like Skyler at all though.

Overall, the best female character in the universe is Kim, but she's not in Breaking Bad.

Hank was one of the best characters in the show.

Harmen

I found the family/friends aspects to be extremely repetitive, dragging, and often prominent to consider this series truly one of the greats myself. It probably worked well when you watch an episode each week and when there are gaps between seasons, but watching a couple of episodes back to back felt repetitive and dragging to me, namely because of the recurring arguments that take up significant time. To me, the balance felt off.

Still, I think the characters are great and the acting often fantastic. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely a quality series. But I really prefer a balance like in series such as the Wire and The Shield, which focus more on the police work/criminal acrivity yet also manage to nail character drama without it feeling repetitive or dragging.

I know there are people who overly relate to Walt and dislike her because she's a problem for him, but no, she's a less compelling character than many of the male characters. I put that on Vince Gilligan and company who maybe managed to make ONE female character interesting in that entire run - Lydia - and she appeared in only a dozen episodes.

1) No, she starts the serious off with a meek Husband who wasn't putting any energy into the relationship, as flawed as she was.
You know why Skyler wasn't working? Because she was pregnant and Walt didn't want her to work, which is why when she suggested going back to work he refused.

Prior to the Skyler had worked while raising a disabled son, Walt wasn't forced to work anywhere, it was his contribution to the household and his position was the result of his ego destroying his life years prior to then.

Why people continuously out the onus on Skyler for the lack of fire in their life/Walts meekness is forever a mystery to me, they were mutually at fault.

Just because a large portion of the first seasons framing was to paint Walt's life as dreary doesn't mean it's the only point at play, there were many other ways you could look at how things were playing out and see a different story for Walt and see Skyler in a different light rather than just banging out about veggie bacon and a handjob.

"Oh no Skyler had issues dealing with the fact her husband had cancer and didn't want treatment, oh no Skyler was a suburban housewife why is she so ignorant, oh no Skyler took initiative to try and get Walt a legitimate job why is she superseding him like this!"

She wasn't an idiot in the first season, maybe a bit naive, but overall she was doing normal things in a narrative that was anything but normal which made her actions stand out as egregious.

2) I'll quote the post I made prior to this one to respond to your second point:

"Funny part about that, is that a lot of her haters when backed into a corner try to flip things around on people and respond with how she should have left him/is culpable/is enjoying the fruits of his money, when 9/10 times that is totally beside the point of whatever the person defending Skyler (such as myself) is saying, or doesn't even conflict with what they believe about her character, as if by pointing out Walt's issues or the abusive relationship she suffered through is claiming she's faultless.

Especially since Skyler literally admits to her culpability unlike Walt on multiple occasions.

And the money argument is ridiculous because aside from the scene where she splurged on some Wine or something, Skyler was incredibly conservative with the money/felt trapped by it on occasion and initially only got involved for it in order to help Hank (though still technically wrong).

The issue was when she got the initial thrill of the plotting and wanting to take charge, but once she got a taste of how deep this really went and got slapped by her concious the hole was dug too far, her hand was in too many pots, and Walt went full domestic abuse beyond his early season 3 domestic abuse and the bad decision making and meekness took over."

3) Skyler is incredibly interesting in my opinion, and her Season 5A conflict with Walt is one of the show highlights, Anna Gunn was incredible and the scenes where she cut through Walt were cathartic.

kiguel182

Only problem I has was with the "Marie steals things" subplot. Everything else made sense to me.

Walt was obviously a bad person.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I found the family/friends aspects to be extremely repetitive, dragging, and often prominent to consider this series truly one of the greats myself. It probably worked well when you watch an episode each week and when there are gaps between seasons, but watching a couple of episodes back to back felt repetitive and dragging to me, namely because of the recurring arguments that take up significant time. To me, the balance felt off.

Still, I think the characters are great and the acting often fantastic. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely a quality series. But I really prefer a balance like in series such as the Wire and The Shield, which focus more on the police work/criminal acrivity yet also manage to nail character drama without it feeling repetitive or dragging.

Agreeing with all of this.

Counterpoint:
XTsOVQN.gif

It took him all season to reach that point, but you're right, it was badass.
Doesn't erase the rest of his cretinous/laughable behavior throughout the season though, hell the point was for Walt to be completely pathetic up until the Crawl Space comes around and he needs to step up.

(I'll admit that Walt had me shook in that scene, I was pretty much Skyler's reaction to that call while watching)

Sheroking

The issue was when she got the initial thrill of the plotting and wanting to take charge, but once she got a taste of how deep this really went and got slapped by her concious the hole was dug too far, her hand was in too many pots, and Walt went full domestic abuse beyond his early season 3 domestic abuse and the bad decision making and meekness took over."

She all but ordered him to kill his protege.

Why do people forget that when they defend the writers for playing the victim card with her?

I mean, never mind the calibre of person she is - she sucks but that's beside the point - she was LESS interesting as his victim than she was as his accomplice.

3) Skyler is incredibly interesting in my opinion, and her Season 5A conflict with Walt is one of the show highlights, Anna Gunn was incredible and the scenes where she cut through Walt were cathartic.

This is where we hit a wall and can't reconcile it with a discussion.

I would consider Skylar's role in 5A to not only be a lowlight, but the lowlight of the show and the point where the two aspects of the show collided for the worse.

There are a lot of opinions about this show in particular I can't personally reconcile. Like people who enjoyed the pretentious and dull fly episode, or like Gus' looney-tones caliber death scene.

I never had a problem with Skylar but Walt Jr was trash.
Walt Jr. was great through Season 2 in my opinion, they dropped the ball with him after that though, I think they just had no idea what to do with him.
His scene with the broken Walt in season 4 and the one where he protected Skyler in Ozymandias were great to me though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
There are a lot of opinions about this show in particular I can't personally reconcile. Like people who enjoyed the pretentious and dull fly episode, or like Gus' looney-tones caliber death scene.

You mean one of the best episodes of the series, which wasn't even remotely pretentious...?

Yeah, on the other side of what you're saying, I can't take someone's Breaking Bad opinions too seriously when they think "Fly" was a bad episode of television. :p

She all but ordered him to kill his protege.

Why do people forget that when they defend the writers for playing the victim card with her?

I mean, never mind the calibre of person she is - she sucks but that's beside the point - she was LESS interesting as his victim than she was as his accomplice.

This is where we hit a wall and can't reconcile it with a discussion.

I would consider Skylar's role in 5A to not only be a lowlight, but the lowlight of the show and the point where the two aspects of the show collided for the worse.

1) Yah she did, that's the point, just like Hank being willing to sacrifice Jesse's life, none of these people are perfect.

Skyler was under the impression that Jesse was out to destroy them, he had almost burned down the house, her mentality was negative/depressed and she felt as though she was trapped in the mistakes Walt and her made.
Nothing you said conflicts with her victimhood or the character they portrayed in the show.

Peoole bring up her wrongdoings to try and deflect from the actual points of her dynamic with Walt.

120v

i thought the "family drama" was the worst part about the show. i understand not every couple has a newborn in their 20s/30s but it seemed a bit out of left field for the Whites. i even forgot Walt Jr even existed around season 3 or so, and something about the relationship with Marie and Hank seemed a bit shoehorned even though the payoff was great at the end

not a major complaint though, still better writing than 99% of other shows out there

SoulUnison

Banned
The fly episode was good imo. I really liked it

giphy.gif

I also don't see the issue with the episode, but this statement is #2 on the list of Breaking Bad discussion derailments only behind mentioning Skyler.
It's like the Breaking Bad conversation equivalent of throwing a match into a haystack and running away.

Basically: "I think 'Fly' was a great episode!"
tumblr_mb29d3Z5hc1rnzsqfo1_500.gif

Yeah Hank starts off really unlikeable and the way he acts and Walt Jr looking up to him is one of the things that makes the audience root for Walt. Of course as the show goes on Walt becomes more despicable while everything that happens to Hank cause him to do a 180 while feeling like a natural progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom