• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The family drama in Breaking Bad is excruciating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I also don't see the issue with the episode, but this statement is #2 on the list of Breaking Bad discussion derailments only behind mentioning Skyler.
It's like the Breaking Bad conversation equivalent of throwing a match into a haystack and running away.

I just feel like it is a perfectly rational thing to feel like the lack of chemistry between family members is painful to watch.

It isn't even a criticism of individual people, and certainly not for their genders. Its just that these fucking people are constantly at ends with eachother, and Walt's marriage feels like less of a team and more of an obligation. Its effective but overwhelmingly depressing.

jeemer

Skyler is hot.

PCePkUP.png

k

Rien

Jelly Belly
giphy.gif

I also don't see the issue with the episode, but this statement is #2 on the list of Breaking Bad discussion derailments only behind mentioning Skyler.
It's like the Breaking Bad conversation equivalent of throwing a match into a haystack and running away.

Basically: "I think 'Fly' was a great episode!"
tumblr_mb29d3Z5hc1rnzsqfo1_500.gif

I responded on a earlier comment about the fly episode being pretentious. Didnt post it to derail the thread :)

I'm not on the Skylar hate train but the family elements are definitely the weakest part of the show.

Sort of, but I really enjoyed the extendet family (Hank) relationship.
It was a weak core family issue because it was very clear that Walt really didin't value his families future over his own ego, so everytime he was saying "I'm doing this for my family" it rang hollow. One could argue that was one of his character traits and what made him more interesting, but I never believed in his dedication to his family, it was all clear early on that it was all about him and his wishes!

Rien

Jelly Belly
I think Jessie was even more annoying then Skyler tho. He was like a yelling big (not to big) baby all the time.

Did anyone watch Desperate Housewives? Skylar reminds me of Lynette Scavo and she's often disliked as well, The rest of the female cast are interesting and fit well. Skylar and Lynette are like an overplayed 5th wheel.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
My girlfriend and I are re watching Breaking Bad, and god damn does Walt's family suck.

I mean I get that its the point, but I think we both found ourselves browsing Gaf whenever Skyler and Marie would start talking about some bullshit. I don't remember any of these people redeeming themselves at any point.

Hank is quite obviously excluded.

Dude, I'd never thought of that before but you're 100% right.

I'm sitting here with my fiancé and I read the post to her, she agrees totally and we had an in depth convesation about it. For example: "And what's with Marie always wearing fucking purple" she said lol!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I just feel like it is a perfectly rational thing to feel like the lack of chemistry between family members is painful to watch.

It isn't even a criticism of individual people, and certainly not for their genders. Its just that these fucking people are constantly at ends with eachother, and Walt's marriage feels like less of a team and more of an obligation. Its effective but overwhelmingly depressing.

I mean...that's completely intentional. You're feeling exactly how the show wants you to feel in those scenes. The show works really hard to essentially trick you into identifying with Walt's POV to a frightening degree, then (ostensibly) shocks you out of it by having Walt do something incredibly monstrous and/or pathetic. Without those scenes the series wouldn't flow the proper way.

Carn82

I mean...that's completely intentional. You're feeling exactly how the show wants you to feel in those scenes. The show works really hard to essentially trick you into identifying with Walt's POV to a frightening degree, then (ostensibly) shocks you out of it by having Walt do something incredibly monstrous and/or pathetic. Without those scenes the series wouldn't flow the proper way.

Agreed. While some of the "family stuff" could have been done better (I think Anna Gunn did a great job btw), I think it was still very necessary to the storyline. Even Walt JR, Walt's real son, who doesn't want to relate with his father anymore, while Walt treats Jesse more and more like a real son. It's all very sad, and that's the point. It is pretty much a Greek tragedy, which usually doesnt end well for anyone involved.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Gotta say that while i thought Skyler was annoying that Anna did a great job playing the role.

darklin0

Banned
I couldn't make it past the first couple of episodes. She is terrible.

I am loving Better Call Saul and it makes me want to continue watching Breaking Bad but man... If the writers intended to make such an unlikable person, kudos.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Being jerked off while ones wife bids on ebay is probably someones kink

In a television show literally centered around murderers, mass-murderers, child murderers, child poisioners, kidnappers, drug dealers, axe-wielding hitmen, corrupt officials, sleazy lawyers, Neo-Nazis and a parent who willing bought her young child a copy of Sonic 06...I think it would be pretty telling if Skyler White walked away as the most despised character in Breaking Bad for some people just because she couldn't fully commit to giving her husband a fucking handjob in the series first ever episode.

Veelk

Banned
Being jerked off while ones wife bids on ebay is probably someones kink

So that's the problem? She isn't sexy enough?

I'm not saying that to say you want her to be sexy. But seriously, she jerked Walt off in an unsexy way as a way to frame how unsatisfied Walt felt with life. This is wrong because...why? What is it about this that makes you hate, if not skylar, then the family subplot?

The lowest form of feminism I have ever seen just might be people trying to police others' opinions of Skyler White.

There was a lot to dislike. There was a lot to agree with her about. It's not really up to you to be the arbiter of what that means 100% of the time, for everyone.

Stop being straw feminists. If you actually think she's supposed to be flawless you should consider how dehumanizing that is to her character, how narrow and stilted that makes the narrative, and how many tired tropes that actually ​invokes.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I've realized I am inadvertently encouraging hyberbole which is actually the opposite of my NeoGaf career goal so i'm gonna go ahead and not help that further

The only winning move is to not talk about Skyler at all

That's some fine shadowboxing there, my friend.
That's some fine not reading this thread, which has people in it saying that they "don't get the hate," and that she was simply "rational," never admitting to anything bad or even just annoying she might have done, and equating dissent of these ideas with sexism, my friend.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That's some fine not reading this thread, which has people in it saying that they "don't get the hate," and that she was simply "rational," never admitting to anything bad or even just annoying she might have done, and equating dissent of these ideas with sexism, my friend.

People saying they don't get the hate/saying they believed the character was acting rationally = People saying she was absolutely morally flawless and that her character was without blemish nor stain?

Okay.

Rien

Jelly Belly

Sorry for being off-topic but abt your avatar.. is that a mash up of Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain?

People saying they don't get the hate/saying they believed the character was acting rationally = People saying she was absolutely morally flawless and that her character was without blemish nor stain?

Okay.
Yes. I'm glad we're understanding each other. Because, you see, if they DID see all of these flaws, they WOULD get the hate. Been a pleasure.

jeemer

Do you have similar qualms with Walt, based on his looks?

just to be clear, i didn't dislike the skyler character based on the actress' looks, her looking like woody harrelson is just something i couldn't stop seeing.

i disliked the character because she was a whiny hypocrite. i get it, having a lying, drug manufacturing husband is bad, but she hung around and just kept complaining while reaping the benefits. she wasn't entertaining to watch. the walt character was a horrible prick, but he was an interesting horrible prick.

if an example of a male equivalent character i disliked for similar reasons would make you feel better, look at foggy in the daredevil show. i dislike both characters, but not because of their looks or gender.

Veelk

Banned

Because those are lame reasons. No one is going to come out and say "I don't like skylar because I'm sexist", and the idea that her being annoying is a 'character flaw' is basically rooted in sexism stereotypes of the nagging housewife. Whether you yourself are sexist or not is almost immaterial because even when someone is sexist as fuck, they often don't perceive themselves that way. It's a dead end discussion to try and defend your right to call skylar annoying in a nonsexist way.

I did some character analysis on Skylar back when Breaking bad was still airing. I talked about her actual character flaws, like how she herself was willing to step into morally grey territory not unlike Walt, even back at the beginning, between her ability to lie or how she advocated for Jesse's hit when he became a threat, how she'd give into frustration and just lash out. You know, her actual character flaws. Not stupid shit like disliking that she complains about stuff.

just to be clear, i didn't dislike the skyler character based on the actress' looks, her looking like woody harrelson is just something i couldn't stop seeing.

i disliked the character because she was a whiny hypocrite. i get it, having a lying, drug manufacturing husband is bad, but she hung around and just kept complaining while reaping the benefits.
she wasn't entertaining to watch. the walt character was a horrible prick, but he was an interesting horrible prick.

if an example of a male equivalent character i disliked for similar reasons would make you feel better, look at foggy in the daredevil show. i dislike both characters, but not because of their looks or gender.
Wrong, disproved this on the last page.

of all the acclaimed tv dramas I've seen this is the one I'm least interested in ever rewatching. it was good and thrilling to watch at the time but stuff like Skylar, Marie, Walter White's whiny entitled ass etc. I can't do it again.

jeemer

Wrong, disproved this on the last page.

i'm not looking to get into a debate, just sharing my personal opinion on the character - but if you're going to reply with one liner shitposts, i don't see proof of anything in your posts, just lots of paragraphs sharing your personal opinions on skyler and what you took from the show.

i disliked the character because she hung around and whined. she reaped the benefits of having a drug baron as a husband - whether in a passive sense or otherwise.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The lowest form of feminism I have ever seen just might be people trying to police others' opinions of Skyler White.

Considering the actress herself felt compelled to write an article about it, due to the sexist vitriol that she received, I'm going to have to say no. It's actually one of the best examples of men looking down at a women in a widely "accepted" fashion.

And also, considering this thread didn't make it to the second page without someone literally making a post to say, "Haha, she looks like a man," are you really going to try and argue the blatant sexism aimed towards the character AND the actress?

Stop being straw feminists. If you actually think she's supposed to be flawless you should consider how dehumanizing that is to her character, how narrow and stilted that makes the narrative, and how many tired tropes that actually ​invokes.

Ah, calling out "straw feminists" by creating a straw man. Interesting strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom