• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I didn't care much for Spirited Away. Just tough for me to get into, and it drags in places. Beautiful film as far as animation goes, but the story just didn't hook me like others.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most depressing films I ever saw, and I mean that in the best possible way. Didn't realize Studio Ghibli produced it.

No movie live action or animated has since elicited a similar emotional response. It is truly a one of a kind masterpiece.

Everything Ghibli touches is gold, especially when directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's incredibly imaginative, but usually with Ghibli films you lose yourself in the world and Spirited Away just didn't grab me like the others.

I far preferred Mononoke in terms of grander Ghibli films, and Totoro is still the best for me.
Funny, Mononoke would be near the bottom of my list. I have lots of love for Totoro, though.

It's incredibly imaginative, but usually with Ghibli films you lose yourself in the world and Spirited Away just didn't grab me like the others.

I far preferred Mononoke in terms of grander Ghibli films, and Totoro is still the best for me.

What I love about many Ghibli films is that the worlds feel dense without being claustrophobic. Mononoke is probably the best example. There are different shades of green all over the place, the art style and world are very heavy, but it's wonderfully pretty and engaging.

I thought the world of Spirited Away was endlessly fascinating. The level of detail in the bathhouse and the various locations in the film is simply incredible:

iblGrZ6iaHicOE.png

Fusebox

Banned
It felt like a pilgrimage for me.

That Laputa statue *bow*

Best statue ever. Here's my obligatory photo in front of it it:

7291915858_5da0b359e0.jpg

I couldn't choose a favourite Ghibli if you put a gun to my head, but Ponyo, Mononoke, Spirited Away and Totoro get most of my love.

Blader

Cagliostro isn't a Ghibli film, but it's definitely one of my favorite of Miyazaki's works and I'd put it above most of the studio's output anyway.

Howl's Moving Castle gets way too much hate here for my liking. That movie was so awesome. Loved Calcifer.

It's not hate! It's just a poorly paced film that's much less grand than Ghibli's other offerings. It's still worth watching, though, and I think it has some of the better Japanese voice acting in the Ghibli library.

-_-

Banned
I remember watching Totoro when I was eight or nine on a really crappy VHS. It was so cool even with the terrible tracking.

Favorites (ie ones I've seen at least 5 times)
1. Totoro/Spirited Away-- I play both movies while I'm drawing.
2. Kiki's Delivery Service
3. Porco Rosso
4. Mononoke

Least favorite (less than 3 viewings)
1. Grave of Fireflies (not because it was a bad movie but it's not something I want watch multiple times )
2. Nausicaa
3. Ponyo
4. Laputa

On an unrelated note, Studio Ghibli popups

Fireye

What I love about many Ghibli films is that the worlds feel dense without being claustrophobic. Mononoke is probably the best example. There are different shades of green all over the place, the art style and world are very heavy, but it's wonderfully pretty and engaging.

I thought the world of Spirited Away was endlessly fascinating. The level of detail in the bathhouse and the various locations in the film is simply incredible:

iblGrZ6iaHicOE.png

I liked Spirited Away, but I can easily see how people could not. Its story doesn't pull me in the same as some of the other Ghibli masterpieces. It's very rich, culturally, but it's almost an overstimulation. You can catch the references to the various gods, dieties, mythical characters, etc... but it doesn't really HELP the story. It's beautiful and complex for the sake of being beautiful and complex.

Kazzy

Does anybody like Tales From Earthsea? I can appreciate someone having a contrasting opinion on pretty much every other Ghibli film, but this is just so conspicuous from the rest in its quality. It just feels so mechanical in execution, essentially ticking the Ghibli boxes but the end product is without much sentiment. It comes off feeling like a bad imitation, which is pretty depressing when you consider the history behind its production.

No one watches Grave of the Fireflies multiple times.

...and to think that was included alongside Totoro as a double feature. Talk about night and day!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I meant to show Joe Hisaishi some love, but better late than never.

Man is synonymous with Ghibli.

Gives me chills.
The score for Princess Mononoke is ridiculously good.
Does anybody like Tales From Earthsea? I can appreciate someone having a contrasting opinion on pretty much every other Ghibli film, but this is just so conspicuous from the rest in its quality. It just feels so mechanical in execution, essentially ticking the Ghibli boxes but the end product is without much sentiment. It comes off feeling like a bad imitation, which is pretty depressing when you consider the history behind its production.
Tales from Earthsea is ridiculously bad.

LiK

Castle in the Sky is still my #1. The music and world and characters were all perfect. It grabbed me for some reason. Princess Mononoke also sucked me in for some reason.

flawfuls

This thread needs more Ilbard Jikan. I mean it's basically just a glorified slideshow, but it's still an incredible experience.

DJfeW.jpg

cj_iwakura

That reminds me, all the Disney Ghibli DVDs(the two disc ones anyway) have a bonus disc of all the storyboards. Very comprehensive.

LiK

That reminds me, all the Disney Ghibli DVDs(the two disc ones anyway) have a bonus disc of all the storyboards. Very comprehensive.

btw, you should update the Blu release date for Laputa, Whisper and Arriety. They all came out in US on May 22.

Those first three productions weren't done by Ghibli. Cagliostro was done by Miyazaki and Yasuo Otsuka at Telecom; Gauche was done by Takahata and Koichi Murata at Oh Pro; and Nausicaa was done at Topcraft, the proto-Ghibli of sorts. So make sure to mark those productions as non-Ghibli, just staffed by Ghibli members. And, if you want to expand that area: add Sherlock Hound, Green Jacket Lupin (and the Red Jacket Miyazaki episodes), Heidi, Marco, Anne of Green Gables, Future Boy Conan, Chie the Brat, etc.

Oh: Iblard is truly amazing, from what I've heard.

watkinzez

Not quite, unless more news has come out since, the quote which was used for that story was a mistranslation as far I'm aware :(

Well the film Miyazaki's working on now seems to have a lot of flying machines, so it might touch on similar themes. Supposed to be based on this manga he did, but I can't find a direct source so take it with a grain of salt.

As for my thoughts on the Ghibli stuff: I'll go ahead and watch all of it before collecting a consensus, though I really liked Porco and Laputa a lot. They feel like the most natural films to have come out from Miyazaki, with much less of the environmental focus and more of the intimate love of vehicles and romantic pursuits that Miyazaki himself is bound to.

This girl has been showing me all of Angels in America. I've been wanting to show her something she had never seen. I've thought about introducing her to Studio Ghibli's film, since they have films accessible to non-anime watchers. I'm thinking Princess Mononoke might be the best film to show her.

Hmm a lot of people like Princess Mononoke but I didn't. It was okay perhaps my distaste had to do with it being dubbed and watching older animation didn't really help either.

Anyways I enjoyed Spirited Away and more recently Arriety, both watched as subbed, the latter way very beautiful imo.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This thread needs more Ilbard Jikan. I mean it's basically just a glorified slideshow, but it's still an incredible experience.

Yep. It's a very beautiful film, even though there isn't any narrative or anything like that. I wish The Cat Returns had taken place in that world.

I can't really pick a favorite. It's a tie between Castle In The Sky and Spirited away and Princess Mononoke aaaand all of them. I think Spirited Away has a hold on me for being the first Ghibli movie I saw.

Blader

Those first three productions weren't done by Ghibli. Cagliostro was done by Miyazaki and Yasuo Otsuka at Telecom; Gauche was done by Takahata and Koichi Murata at Oh Pro; and Nausicaa was done at Topcraft, the proto-Ghibli of sorts. So make sure to mark those productions as non-Ghibli, just staffed by Ghibli members. And, if you want to expand that area: add Sherlock Hound, Green Jacket Lupin (and the Red Jacket Miyazaki episodes), Heidi, Marco, Anne of Green Gables, Future Boy Conan, Chie the Brat, etc.

Oh: Iblard is truly amazing, from what I've heard.

That's true, but they kind of retroactively include it as a Ghibli film anyways.

Jazzem

A bit distressing to see so much 'meh' on Spirited Away!

My brother took me to see it in the cinema back when it came out. I went in with little idea of what to expect...I can't begin to say how much it blew me away!

That instantly converted me into a huge fan of Ghibli, and I've since seen all of their films barring Arietty (may watch this week) and Poppy Hill. Also need to see some of the earlier stuff that involved key staff members, though I've seen Cagliostro, which of course I loved.

I just love how engrossing their work is, they truly house some amazing artists. I've had a bit of a rocky time with anime (find it tough to discover stuff that appeals to me), but I'll always have a soft spot for Ghibli :D

Was happy to see On Your Mark mentioned, it's the best music video I've seen. I remember showing it to a friend not interested in anime who absolutely loved it.

Also, Joe Hisahi's scores are amazing! I love listening to the Totoro one before going to sleep :)

Tookay

Never watched a single Ghibli film. Always wanted to.

What should I start with?

Princess Mononoke. It's the least weird, and has a compelling plot. Very beautiful, moving film.

Watch it with subtitles. The dub is very hit and miss.

Jazzem

One thing as well; I'm very envious of people who grew up watching these films as kids. They would be hugely nostalgic for me if I had, I'm quite sure...

I'll probably end up being nostalgic for them years down the line anyway :p

LiK

One thing as well; I'm very envious of people who grew up watching these films as kids. They would be hugely nostalgic for me if I had, I'm quite sure...

the music will always stay with you.

cj_iwakura

Princess Mononoke. It's the least weird, and has a compelling plot. Very beautiful, moving film.

Watch it with subtitles. The dub is very hit and miss.

Totally disagree. I think the dub is perfect, it's the sub that didn't do much for me.

They even dubbed the iron workers' song, and well at that.

Yeah, that must suck. I can't imagine not having grown up with these movies. I must have been like 5 the first time I saw Kiki's and I had seen Mononoke, Laputa and Totoro before Spirited Away had even came out.

Top Bottom