• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

watershed

Banned
I have the Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle ones. They're fantastic. Full of concept art, background paintings from the films, and Miyazaki's original hand drawn story boards for both films I believe. I also have a Studio Ghibli Layout Designs book which covers all their films. Really detailed drawings one can learn a lot from.

1upsuper

I have the Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle ones. They're fantastic. Full of concept art, background paintings from the films, and Miyazaki's original hand drawn story boards for both films I believe. I also have a Studio Ghibli Layout Designs book which covers all their films. Really detailed drawings one can learn a lot from.

Awesome! Thank you. Definitely interested now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My city has been airing various Ghibli movies (once per month) at the theatre. Last month I saw Castle in the Sky and yesterday I saw Nausicaä on the big screen. Both in Japanese with subtitles.

Nausicaä remains his best by far, I think. So damn epic and wonderful. And I can't believe I never noticed this before (or maybe I did and just forgot), but Master Yupa's bird-mounts have to have been an inspiration for chocobos! <3

It was funny because for the Castle in the Sky screening, they just played the blu-ray, and... holy fuck the subs are terrible. A lot of grammar mistakes, some harmless but pointless liberties (for example, Sheeta apparently saying "I love pudding!" when all she does is grunt an acknowledgement), and some truly atrocious "liberties" that completely alter the tone and meaning of the dialogue. For example, near the end,
Sheeta tells the villain,
"Humans cannot live without love!", which I always found uncharacteristically sappy of a Miyazaki movie.
Well, it's a grotesque mistranslation, according to a Japanese friend of mine who told me she actually says,
"Humans cannot live away from the ground!"

Fucking Disney, man. Inserting their shitty, sappy moralizing even in movies that aren't theirs. Fuck Disney.

On a more positive note, the Nausicaä screening seemed to be a different source (not the blu-ray) and the translation seemed better, at least. And seeing that absolutely gorgeous art on the big screen was breath-taking. I love the decaying forest with its colourful fungi and spores, the thriving insect world, the hauntingly beautiful sand lake underneath. Miyazaki was a creative a genius.

It was funny because for the Castle in the Sky screening, they just played the blu-ray, and... holy fuck the subs are terrible. A lot of grammar mistakes, some harmless but pointless liberties (for example, Sheeta apparently saying "I love pudding!" when all she does is grunt an acknowledgement), and some truly atrocious "liberties" that completely alter the tone and meaning of the dialogue. For example, near the end,
Sheeta tells the villain,
"Humans cannot live without love!", which I always found uncharacteristically sappy of a Miyazaki movie.
Well, it's a grotesque mistranslation, according to a Japanese friend of mine who told me she actually says,
"Humans cannot live away from the ground!"

IIRC Disney took more liberties with Castle in the Sky than they did with the other films. It was their first Ghibli dub and they felt the need to make it less "quiet" with additional dialogue and background music. If I am indeed remembering this story correctly, Miyazaki approved of all the changes.

On a more positive note, the Nausicaä screening seemed to be a different source (not the blu-ray) and the translation seemed better, at least. And seeing that absolutely gorgeous art on the big screen was breath-taking. I love the decaying forest with its colourful fungi and spores, the thriving insect world, the hauntingly beautiful sand lake underneath. Miyazaki was a creative a genius.

Saw Nausicca yesterday too. So great. Didn't know it's a month thing now. Is there a site for it or something?

Same question! Are you guys in NYC? I actually bought tickets to Nausicaa but then had to miss it! I'm pretty disappointed but Nasuicaa is pretty far down on my list of favorite Ghibli films anyway, I'd love to see others...

PolishQ

I love the decaying forest with its colourful fungi and spores, the thriving insect world, the hauntingly beautiful sand lake underneath. Miyazaki was a creative a genius.
You absolutely need to read the Nausicaa manga if you haven't already. The movie pales in comparison.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If I am indeed remembering this story correctly, Miyazaki approved of all the changes.
I find that hard to believe, tbh, especially about the line I mentioned.

Same question! Are you guys in NYC? I actually bought tickets to Nausicaa but then had to miss it! I'm pretty disappointed but Nasuicaa is pretty far down on my list of favorite Ghibli films anyway, I'd love to see others...
Montreal here.

You absolutely need to read the Nausicaa manga if you haven't already. The movie pales in comparison.
I have, a while ago. It's indeed amazing. The only manga I ever bothered reading but it was worth it.

My only issue is that due to the B&W and inking style and how busy the panels usually are, it's often difficult to really understand what's going on. :( What I wouldn't give for a an official coloured version, or better yet, a mini-series/OVA/whatever adaptation of the full manga... :O

Fjordson

I'm probably in the minority, but I love all of the Disney dubs. Think they did a great job.

I even liked Christian Bale in Howl's, with his precursor to the Batman voice.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Seems unreleased Ghibli blu-rays are coming in January from Shout Factory. Only announcements I have seen are for the recent re-releases, but on Amazon, “My Neighbors The Yamadas”, “The Cat Returns” and “Whispers Of The Heart” are coming out January 16th!

Andyliini

Where I live, the publishing rights for Ghibli movies are with a small publisher, and herefore movies are released late, and many of them still lack a Blu-Ray release. Actually, we only just yesterday got BD for My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke. I hope for at least Kiki's Delivery Service, as the DVD is only presented in 4:3 format.

Has there been any news on is Ghibli will still produce features? Around the release of Marnie, the director Hiromasa Yonebayashi told a local national broadcaster that he thinks that the Studio will probably shut down soon, and is leaving to form his own studio. It seems like Hayao Miyazaki is planning to return from retirement once again, but who knows.

Nottle

I managed to get the collected works of Hayao Miyazaki for about 65 dollars a few months ago. Have watched them all except for Mononoke and The Wind Rises. They’ve been pretty good movies however I noticed a lot of them wrap up in unsatisfactory ways.

Porch Rosso Stood out as having a sort of weird end and Howls feels like they ran out of budget and time and everything’s is handled too neatly.

Top Bottom