• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Question: Are the subtitles for some films just what was written in the script for the English dub? If so, which films?

Yeah, that's what people refer to as "dubtitles". Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke only have dubtitles. I believe Grave of the Fireflies does too.

Most of the other films have both the proper subtitles as well as dubtitles.

Yeah, that's what people refer to as "dubtitles". Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke only have dubtitles. I believe Grave of the Fireflies does too.

Most of the other films have both the proper subtitles as well as dubtitles.
Shit, three of my favourites. That sucks.

At least Spirited Away and Nausicaä have proper subtitles.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Grave of the Fireflies was picked up, and redubbed, by Sentai. They're not known for dubtitles so I'd be surprised if that was the case. I haven't seen it mentioned in any reviews, at any rate.

The blu-ray(dot)com Ghibli comparison thread lists dubtitles only for the US release of Grave of the Fireflies, so I assume that's accurate seeing as how the people there are really anal about dubtitles. They might be wrong though.

tuffy

The blu-ray(dot)com Ghibli comparison thread lists dubtitles only for the US release of Grave of the Fireflies, so I assume that's accurate seeing as how the people there are really anal about dubtitles. They might be wrong though.
I just did a spot-check and they're not dubtitles. Like the start of chapter 7. In the dub: "Great, they left the dishes for me to do. So selfish. Honestly, those little brats are two of the worst children in the world." In the subtitles: "Great, left the dishes for me to do. So selfish. Honestly! Those brats are two of the worst!" I can't vouch for accuracy, but they're certainly not an exact match to the English dialogue.

Risette

A Good Citizen
sounds like partial dubtitles, which isn't an uncommon practice. essentially dubtitles edited to slightly better match the original dialogue, but not a direct translation (which exists on the JP BD)

wonder if they just didn't bother to get the rights to the ghibli translation?

nib95

Banned
I know this is somewhat unrelated, but Ghibli fans that haven't checked out Song of the Sea really ought to. I found it to be very Ghibli like, despite being from a different studio and country altogether.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know this is somewhat unrelated, but Ghibli fans that haven't checked out Song of the Sea really ought to. I found it to be very Ghibli like, despite being from a different studio and country altogether.

I thought so too. It's a very Ghibli-esque film.

javac

Back of the box of the Hayao Miyazaki set.
JaOR1WD.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117V8BX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Futureman

I got Howl's, Totoro and Castle in the Sky for $12 each at Best Buy the other day!

My first three Blu-Rays. I've never seen Castle and haven't seen the other two in years. Can't wait.

Should have just bought the box set I guess, but I wouldn't classify myself as a mega-fan (yet), so I'm happy with just picking them up when on sale every now and then.

Fjordson

I got Howl's, Totoro and Castle in the Sky for $12 each at Best Buy the other day!

My first three Blu-Rays. I've never seen Castle and haven't seen the other two in years. Can't wait.

Should have just bought the box set I guess, but I wouldn't classify myself as a mega-fan (yet), so I'm happy with just picking them up when on sale every now and then.
Good choices.

Howl looks absolutely incredible on blu. And I often see it mentioned in a lower tier than other Miyazaki films, but I love it. Disney's dub is also really good (if you're into that).

For those worried about dubtitles, I noticed quite a few errors / timing / missing dialogue on the English subs track for the JP bluray of The Wind Rises.

Don't assume that shelling out $60 for a JP bluray will mean perfect subs.

I just noticed that When Marnie Was There is literally launching tomorrow here in Germany. I haven't seen a singe Ghibli film in cinema so this could actually be my last chance.

Futureman

so I THOUGHT I had seen Howl's previously but I guess I just watched it for the first time last night. I think I was confusing it with Spirited Away!

I LOVED it. Gosh, so good. Maybe my favorite?

I don't follow Ghibli too closely... is there anything new about their future? Or is it pretty much set in stone they are no longer making feature films?

GCX

is there anything new about their future? Or is it pretty much set in stone they are no longer making feature films?
It's possible they'll start new projects at some point but it's also possible they won't.

Miyazaki's CG short movie for the Ghibli Museum is the only known thing currently in production.

/XX/

I don't follow Ghibli too closely... is there anything new about their future? Or is it pretty much set in stone they are no longer making feature films?
The most active film producer at Studio Ghibli in the more recent times, Yoshiaki Nishimura, practically confirmed a project is on the works there with him involved... that, as the French version of newspaper 20 Minutes suggested (based on information implied by Mr. Nishimura's own words during their interview), it most probably is the next big production for Gorō Miyazaki, "in-house" this time.

Yes, Marnie performed poorly in the box office. Toshio Suzuki blamed that on bad marketing, but it you look at Ghibli's other films it seems the Japanese public aren't too interested in films that Hayao Miyazaki didn't direct himself.

It's a shame, because I found Marnie a better film than the last three Miyazaki films. Hopefully Yonebayashi can find a place where he can do some successful work.

They're going to show The Tale of Princess Kaguya on Cinemex in several Mexico cities as part of an Anime Festival.
I watched it earlier this year and loved it, I can't wait to see it on a big screen, although Cinemex has a reputation of having some of the worst movie theaters in Mexico.

/XX/

It's a shame, because I found Marnie a better film than the last three Miyazaki films. Hopefully Yonebayashi can find a place where he can do some successful work.
More than a place, he would need first the people willing to make his proyects a reality... and Mr. Yonebayashi already has that! He confirmed something is in the works along the very same Yoshiaki Nishimura, and because of the announcement of his leaving from Studio Ghibli's structure, the new STUDIO PONOC seems like the most possible option.

i would agree that marnie was a lot better than miyazaki's last few movies, and would say the same for arrietty too. hopefully yonebayashi does find an outlet for similar work.

i'm not sure i get the complaint about "dubtitles." how's it different to natural video game localisation? you can always listen to the japanese for the original wording.

Credo

I just noticed that The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki is going to be 34% off. It says the deal starts at 2:00 AM, but I don't know what time zone that is, although I imagine it's Pacific since Amazon is in Seattle.

The best way I know to link to the deal is through this: http://www.amazon.com/movies-tv-dvd-bluray/b/ref=nav_shopall_mov?ie=UTF8&node=2625373011

Scroll down to the Limited-Time Deals in Movies & TV section and then click the Upcoming tab. It should show up in there.

omgkitty

It's really too bad Marnie bombed. I thought it was a sweet, small film with beautiful animation.

That's a shame, but at this point I refuse to see Ghibli films in theaters because the English voice acting is always terrible. I bought both the GKids blu-ray and the Japanese blu-ray for Marnie so I still did my part!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed that The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki is going to be 34% off. It says the deal starts at 2:00 AM, but I don't know what time zone that is, although I imagine it's Pacific since Amazon is in Seattle.

The best way I know to link to the deal is through this: http://www.amazon.com/movies-tv-dvd-bluray/b/ref=nav_shopall_mov?ie=UTF8&node=2625373011

Scroll down to the Limited-Time Deals in Movies & TV section and then click the Upcoming tab. It should show up in there.
I bought it on release. Once it goes on sale, can I ask for a price adjustment? Does Amazon offer any kind of price protection?

dgco86

Would this be a good deal for someone who doesn't own a single Miyazaki film on Bluray? Are the missing extras for the individual movies a big deal breaker?

EDIT: Not sure if it would help in your recommendations, but my preference is to watch these with Japanese audio and English subtitles so I don't think the missing English dubs on Lupin would really bother me.

Hope this is not old:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/daisy-ridley...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

For film fans, simply hearing the name of the legendary Japanese animation house Studio Ghibli is a badge of honor. New film, old film, doesn’t matter. A Ghibli movie means quality and now one that’s never been released in the U.S. is coming with the voice of the new star of Star Wars.

Daisy Ridley has been cast as the lead voice in Only Yesterday, a 1991 Ghibli film which will open in New York on January 1 and everywhere else February 26. It’s the first time the film, directed by Isao Takahata, will open in the United States. (Takahata is a long time Ghibli filmmaker who most recently directed The Tale of Princess Kaguya).

Ridley will voice Taeko, “a single 27-year-old who’s lived her whole life in Tokyo. Traveling to visit her family in the country, she reflects on her childhood in a series of flashbacks to examine whether she’s been true to the girl she used to be.”

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Ridley explained the film’s universal themes. “I think the reason probably this is such a loved film and will continue to be so is because it doesn’t feel foreign,” she said. “It feels exactly right, like, how do you make your dreams come true?”

Ridley's star rising will be good for exposure.

omgkitty

Is getting famous people for voice roles really that big of a deal for some people? Like are people going to see "Oh that's the girl from Star Wars" and then go see it? If anything, seeing well known non voice actors turns me off, especially for foreign animated films, but I guess I'm probably in the minority.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is getting famous people for voice roles really that big of a deal for some people? Like are people going to see "Oh that's the girl from Star Wars" and then go see it? If anything, seeing well known non voice actors turns me off, especially for foreign animated films, but I guess I'm probably in the minority.

It raises the profile of any project and it also helps to "legitimize" smaller/foreign films in the eyes of the general public.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When Marnie Was There Director Hiromasa Yonebayashi: Next Project Might Be Ghibli Work

When Marnie Was There and The Secret World of Arrietty director Hiromasa Yonebayashi said in an interview with The Associated Press that his next project might be a Studio Ghibli work. However, he declined to share any details on what this project might be.

Yonebayashi left the staff of Studio Ghibli at the end of 2014. He stated that he would like to continue to make works, and he would like his next film to be the "opposite" of Marnie.

Top Bottom