• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

omgkitty

Interesting. Seems like they've gone back on some of those. Like Mononoke is a Disney blu-ray for example.

edit: I guess Mononoke is the only difference. Maybe Disney wanted it simply because of its popularity in the West.

Well technically I don't think Disney owns Miramax any more, which is why it came out under Disney instead.

Why aren't any of these movies available for digital download? I've bought all the blu-rays knowing none of them contain digital copies then when they release them digitally I'm going to be a sucker and buy it all again, SMH

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Why aren't any of these movies available for digital download? I've bought all the blu-rays knowing none of them contain digital copies then when they release them digitally I'm going to be a sucker and buy it all again, SMH
So that they can't be put in the vault some years ahead in the future. -_-

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I don't know if Disney has the rights for that. I don't even think they're available digitally in Japan.

Fjordson

I just watched Nausicaa for the first time. It was the last Miyazaki film I hadn't seen. So good. The man truly couldn't make a bad film.

It's probably in my top 5 as far as Ghibli's catalogue. The story and the animation were incredible and I really liked the setting. I liked the small hints at the bigger world outside of the valley and the little pieces of background lore. And only Miyazaki could make me feel sympathy for giant bugs, despite being irrationally afraid of all insects in real life.

I'm tempted to buy the full manga. Amazon has some hardcover box set for sale that looks amazing.

Asbel

Yeah, I hate to say it but I recently rewatched Nausicaa and it hit me how many things happened just cuz it moves along the story. Still a great movie but the manga is much more fleshed out.

Edwardo

I ordered

Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa
Tales From Earthsea
The Wind Rises

I've seen the top three and wanted them because they're my favorites. I'm pumped for when they come in so I can finally watch the other three too.

Fjordson

Trying to round out my non-Miyazaki collection so I got From Up On Poppy Hill from Amazon. I thought it was great. Seems like it didn't review quite as well as top-tier Ghibli films, but it's a wonderful film imo.

It's a nice change of pace from Ghibli's more fantastical work. It's so reserved and down to earth. And I love all the attention to detail with the setting. I'm admittedly not too knowledgable about Yokohama in the 1960's, but I can't imagine its depiction in Poppy Hill is too far off. It made even the simplest of scenes interesting because you got to see more of the town. And it helps that pretty much every character was likable. Can't recommend it enough to any Ghibli fan that hasn't seen it.

Also, does anyone have any of these art books? I kinda want to order a bunch of the single movie ones.

LuuKyK

Trying to round out my non-Miyazaki collection so I got From Up On Poppy Hill from Amazon. I thought it was great. Seems like it didn't review quite as well as top-tier Ghibli films, but it's a wonderful film imo.

It's a nice change of pace from Ghibli's more fantastical work. It's so reserved and down to earth. And I love all the attention to detail with the setting. I'm admittedly not too knowledgable about Yokohama in the 1960's, but I can't imagine its depiction in Poppy Hill is too far off. It made even the simplest of scenes interesting because you got to see more of the town. And it helps that pretty much every character was likable. Can't recommend it enough to any Ghibli fan that hasn't seen it.

Also, does anyone have any of these art books? I kinda want to order a bunch of the single movie ones.

I asked a few pages back too, and people said the books are pretty great:

Next up on the list is When Marnie Was There. Will watch it tomorrow.

Know nothing about it, so I am excited.

After that I still have to watch The Cat Returns, Cagliostro, Pom Poko, Ocean Waves and Earthsea. Then I am done watching all of them, still deciding on the order.

Btw, anyone here bought any of these art books? I am really interested in the three I linked, was wondering about the quality of them/if they are worth importing.

I don't own any of them but I've heard nothing but good things about all of them.

I have the Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Totoro art books they are all amazing. I refer to them a lot for drawing reference.

GCX

I visited the Ghibli Museum last week. It kind of felt like my 15 years of being a Ghibli fan reached some kind of conclusion, like now I've seen all there is. What a nice little place, and you could see everything about the museum's design had Miyazaki written all over it.

The short movie they were screening that day was Monmon the Water Spider. It was a really simple yet beautiful movie and the whole story was told through animation without any lines or text. The movie had that familiar Miyazaki feeling but the narrative was quite different from his usual style.

I think some day far far in the future when all of the Ghibli Museum short movies will be released to the public people will discover a whole new side of Miyazaki. They have a lot more experimentation with the narrative, visual style, animation, etc. than his big budget movies.

Fjordson

I asked a few pages back too, and people said the books are pretty great:
Oh wow, haha. Lazy me. Thanks!

I visited the Ghibli Museum last week. It kind of felt like my 15 years of being a Ghibli fan reached some kind of conclusion, like now I've seen all there is. What a nice little place, and you could see everything about the museum's design had Miyazaki written all over it.

The short movie they were screening that day was Monmon the Water Spider. It was a really simple yet beautiful movie and the whole story was told through animation without any lines or text. The movie had that familiar Miyazaki feeling but the narrative was quite different from his usual style.

I think some day far far in the future when all of the Ghibli Museum short movies will be released to the public people will discover a whole new side of Miyazaki. They have a lot more experimentation with the narrative, visual style, animation, etc. than his big budget movies.
Man that's awesome, I'm jealous. I have a friend who's been there a few times and he's also said that the short films in there are a fascinating side of Ghibli.

I've always wanted to make a trip to Japan, that'll be one of most important stops if I go.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'm on mobile so I can't post the link, but the preorders for the Hayao Miyazaki are live on Amazon. $250 is the final price.

lupinko

I don't know if anyone here buys the Japanese blu rays, but I picked up Ocean Waves today. Now the transfer is godly, especially compared to the Region 2 Japanese DVD I used to own years back, and the fact that this was originally a TV special. The fact it was actually done on film instead of video truly shows with this transfer.

Anyway I'm posting because there's a weird flickering issue in one scene where you see the American couple walking in Hawaii. I no longer have the DVD with me to compare with, but I don't ever recall this flickering. Unless it was part of the restoration and all discs have it then I guess it's not an issue? I tried to check out Japanese sites but nothing so far.

I'd be bummed to have a bad disc.

Fjordson

Ah yeah, Yamadas. Almost forgot.

It's like $50 each to import, so I just ordered Only Yesterday for now. Will pick up the other two next in the next month or so.

I have to say, the Japanese covers are pretty great. I like the colors and silhouettes.

Fjordson

Thanks!

I already have a few of these overpriced Japanese editions (no dubtitles!) but I'm always worried that I might grab the wrong one from Amazon.
Lmao I know what you mean. I spent like 10 minutes making sure this one was region free and had subs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thanks!

I already have a few of these overpriced Japanese editions (no dubtitles!) but I'm always worried that I might grab the wrong one from Amazon.

You can also buy the Taiwanese version - it's the exact same as the Japanese version, only significantly cheaper.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Only Yesterday getting a dub?

You'll have to scroll down to see it, but it's listed:

OJT3xoW.png

Ronja too!

Hopefully, whoever is planning on releasing Only Yesterday (Disney? Or did someone else get the rights? Discotek? And if it is Disney, A. I wonder what changed their mind and B. maybe they'll release My Neighbors the Yamadas on blu-ray after all?) eventually decides to bring Ocean Waves over too.

I hope this is true.

Fjordson

Wow, Only Yesterday already came in. That was fast as hell.

Have to say, the Japanese Ghibli packaging is really slick. Love the color and overall design.

Risette

A Good Citizen
i hope only yesterday gets a release here even if I intend to import it regardless. more people need to see ghibli's best movie.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I was this close to watch it the other day. Good thing I didn't, I rather watch it on the big screen. Also, inb4 Takahata blu ray boxset in 2017.

omgkitty

I think it will.

Yeah I think it was always an issue of someone wanting to release it, and with Disney for the longest time being the only party involved, it was kind of a non-starter. Now with G-Kids becoming involved, and knowing they want to release these films, I think it's absolutely going to happen eventually.

Top Bottom