• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fire of PROMETHEUS has been stolen and leaked to us mortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in my mind I have a few directors that are the in my opinion the best working today based on their filmography over the last ten years.

They would include Boyle, Spielberg, Fincher, Tarantino, Cuaron, Cameron and Scorsese.

Then a tier below those guys I would put directors like Aronofsky, Nolan, Wes Anderson and a bunch of others.

Damn right!
I would only add the Coen brothers.

Tedesco!

Boyle, Spielberg, Fincher, Tarantino, Cuaron, Cameron and Scorsese.

Then a tier below those guys I would put directors like Aronofsky, Nolan, Wes Anderson and a bunch of others.

I think Boyle and Nolan are interchangeable. I'll give you Spielberg, but there is a whole quantity vs. quality argument that could be made with him.

I think Boyle and Nolan are interchangeable. I'll give you Spielberg, but there is a whole quantity vs. quality argument that could be made with him.

I don't think so. I could match Spielberg top 5 of the last decade against anybody else. And Danny Boyle has made much better films than Nolan for my own liking this last decade.

Tedesco!

I think we've already discusses Stevie S., so I won't rehash it. As far as Boyle is concerned, I don't know, maybe I'll re-watch some of his work. I've just enjoyed more of Nolan's work.

Stet

Banned
Ugh forget it, the Sunshine that's on Netflix is a three-hour holocaust film with Ralph Fiennes in it. How disappointing.

Watching Pandorum instead. Hopefully Dennis Quaid just plays Gordon Cooper again.

Fuck what a waste. Could have been such a promising premise but it was executed awfully and they threw so many predictable "twists" in that I expected them to end up still on earth in a simulated environment to test how a flight crew would deal with a long-haul space flight.

AniHawk

WHAT THEY FOUND

COULD BE IT'S END

and they were doing so well with the very awesome attempt at referencing the very awesome alien trailer.

Amagon

You're not hammering the key hard enough. Use more force.
xdBxh.gif
xdBxh.gif
xdBxh.gif

Saw the trailer in front of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. A-fucking-mazing. Scott is the only director who does sci-fi look the way I prefer it. It's like he about the only one who knows just how to get that perfect 70s acrylic sci-fi cover look on-screen. Feels like Alien for the 21st century. The sense of scale...oh my.

EliCash

WHAT THEY FOUND

COULD BE IT'S END

and they were doing so well with the very awesome attempt at referencing the very awesome alien trailer.

That's only in the unfinished teaser that was leaked a few weeks ago. It's "our end" in this one I'm pretty sure.

duckroll

Saw the trailer in front of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. A-fucking-mazing. Scott is the only director who does sci-fi look the way I prefer it. It's like he about the only one who knows just how to get that perfect 70s acrylic sci-fi cover look on-screen. Feels like Alien for the 21st century. The sense of scale...oh my.

What about District 9? I felt that was pretty close to that sort of sci-fi look.

What about District 9? I felt that was pretty close to that sort of sci-fi look.

Yeah, I loved that one, too. Neil Blomkamp is awesome, maybe even the closest we'll have to a sci-fi visioneer after Ridley Scott has passed on. Still, there's a sense of detail and a sheen to Scott's films that hasn't been approached by anyone yet. Not Cameron, not anyone.

duckroll

Yeah, I loved that one, too. Neil Blomkamp is awesome, maybe even the closest we'll have to a sci-fi visioneer after Ridley Scott has passed on. Still, there's a sense of detail and a sheen to Scott's films that hasn't been approached by anyone yet. Not Cameron, not anyone.

I think part of the reason is that Scott doesn't do much sci-fi to begin with, and the sci-fi movies that he has done weren't approached as commercial films. That adds a strong personal touch to them which doesn't feel like it is out to please general audiences. I got the same feeling from District 9, even though it's a less polished vision.

I'm definitely excited to see what Blomkamp can deliver with a bigger budget and more weight to throw around after having a success to his name. It's also going to be interesting to see if Scott can deliver in the actual Prometheus film, considering this one IS being approached as a big commercial movie (at least for Fox).

This is clearly the most Scott has been passionate in a long time. If the creativity matches that then I hope for all of us (but especially Scott) this thing is a big commercial success.

This is clearly the most Scott has been passionate in a long time. If the creativity matches that then I hope for all of us (but especially Scott) this thing is a big commercial success.

i-admire-its-purity.jpg

"You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. His structural perfection is matched only by his creativity."

.la1n

I would have to say American Gangster was the last movie he directed that I Would consider good. Even then it wasn't mind blown amazingly super awesome sauce. Gladiator I think would take that place. I love seeing him going back to what made him so iconic to begin with (with us nerds anyway.)

duckroll

I would have to say American Gangster was the last movie he directed that I Would consider good. Even then it wasn't mind blown amazingly super awesome sauce. Gladiator I think would take that place. I love seeing him going back to what made him so iconic to begin with (with us nerds anyway.)

Not a big fan of Kingdom of Heaven or Black Hawk Down? :(

wrowa

When are we going to get the direct feed trailer? I've waited for so long, I don't want to see a stupid leak :(

It's infuriating that many people still haven't seen the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven and judge the movie by what they saw in theaters. It's a completely different movie, and also the greatest epic in modern cinema.

jett

D-Member
I really liked Body of Lies. Solid performances all around. And Kingdom of Heaven is of course a masterpiece(there is only one cut of that as far as I'm concerned). Robin Hood was competent but mostly a wasted opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom