• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 30 fps Metroid [HELPFUL MOD EDIT] is not Samus Returns

sanstesy

so you enjoy more input lag than less...

An unstable framerate is always worse than a stable one even if the fps itself is lower because exactly of the variable input lag. There is no consistent input standard and as a result your fighting with the fact that the input lag completely changes in every different instance of moment to moment gameplay. It's really not hard to understand.

HKA6A7

framerate determine that what is good will be much better with higher framerate. coming from other 60fps metroids to a 30 one will be less fun that could be...

I get the concept of "60 = Less input lag, you can turn motion blur off and enjoy smothness", it's a technical thing.

But I don't understand how can it be more "Fun".

Samus Returns doesn't suffer from slowdowns and the controls are responsive. In other words, it plays fine. And being at 60 fps won't change that, the gameplay would remain largely the same.

While I'm aware that for competitive reasons, some games must be at 60 fps, it's not what makes something fun.
But that logic, games like CoD:Ghost must be GOTY, while others like Shadow of the Colossus would be a disaster.

dogen

An unstable framerate is always worse than a stable one even if the fps itself is lower because exactly of the variable input lag. There is no consistent input standard and as a result your fighting with the fact that the input lag completely changes in every different instance of moment to moment gameplay. It's really not hard to understand.

That's subjective and not everyone would agree. I don't mind slight drops in the 50-60 range. Of course, the fact I don't mind tearing either helps with that too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With a lot of slowdown though. Consistent 30fps is pretty much as good as unstable 60fps.
I play a lot of retro games and slowdown isn't THAT common mainly because it's actual slowdown rather than dropped frames.

It sucks because 60fps is always a smoother experience for me but as long as it stays at a steady 30fps then I be happy. I'm just happy we're getting a proper Metroid.

beril

Odd... I can't picture ANY game on 3DS running 60fps in my mind...

I'm sure they do... I just can't imagine it...

Gunman Clive 1&2, with 4x supersampling in 2D

The 2d Metroids were plagues with massive slowdown, as long as it's smooth we can all be happy.

None of the mainline 2D metroid really have that much slowdown. It happens occasionally in Super Metroid; barely ever in Metroid 2 or the GBA games and Metroid 1 is also relatively stable compared to more advanced NES games

sanstesy

That's subjective and not everyone would agree. I don't mind slight drops in the 50-60 range. Of course, the fact I don't mind tearing either helps with that too.

Of course it's subjective? I'm just trying to make him understand a different point of view that exists for aforementioned explained reasons.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Eugh. I just finished the game and didn't actually pay attention to it being 30 fps. Weird. Super slowdown during the elevators though, but that doesn't really affect anything I guess.
Damn that was fast and the game was released today. How long have you played? Do you 100% completed it?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

so i will lock my games hovering between 100/144fps to 30fps because you are telling me that stable fps with higher lag is better than variable fps with lower lag. noted. better lock ping on online games at 100ms because variable 10~30 is worse too... lol

It's not the game itself that's the big problem to me, it's the change, and the deliberate choice to make a remake play worse than the original.

The original game ran like a turd. Very few frames of animation and Samus ran and jumped as though she were stuck in molasses.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I get the concept of "60 = Less input lag, you can turn motion blur off and enjoy smothness", it's a technical thing.

But I don't understand how can it be more "Fun".

Samus Returns doesn't suffer from slowdowns and the controls are responsive. In other words, it plays fine. And being at 60 fps won't change that, the gameplay would remain largely the same.

While I'm aware that for competitive reasons, some games must be at 60 fps, it's not what makes something fun.
But that logic, games like CoD:Ghost must be GOTY, while others like Shadow of the Colossus would be a disaster.

just try games at 15fps and tell me that it is not less fun than at 30. it's so simple. more = better...

Jazzem

Yup, that coupled with it being on 3DS + large backlog + limited funds means I'm skipping it for now, despite being a humongous Metroid fan. I still want to play it eventually, but 30fps is a massive disappointment for me for the reasons already stated in the thread. A 30fps remake of a 60fps game will always be very egregious to me :/

If those things don't bother you then great! Forget about it and enjoy. But don't be surprised that something which affects game performance so significantly is important for others. And for god's sake don't go yelling at them for it or replying with nonsensical anti-critique rhetroic :p

RRockman

Banned
If you were really having an old man yelling at cloud moment you'd be defending 60fps since older games typically ran at that frame-rate.

If you could say that it was the norm to have fully polygonal detailed 3d worlds at an unflinching 60fps back in the day then you would have a point.

atbigelow

Been playing the game (about 2 hours in) and I definitely wish it was 60 FPS. Wish they had used the extra n3DS grunt to make it happen. Might not be a CPU issue, though.

Since I own the game, can I say that I will 100% rebuy this if it somehow gets ported to Switch? My hands cramp incredibly with the 3DS and it gets mildly uncomfortable playing this. :(

As a note, though, I am 100% satisfied with playing it on the 3DS, 30 FPS included.

Jazzem

Been playing the game (about 2 hours in) and I definitely wish it was 60 FPS. Wish they had used the extra n3DS grunt to make it happen. Might not be a CPU issue, though.

Since I own the game, can I say that I will 100% rebuy this if it somehow gets ported to Switch? My hands cramp incredibly with the 3DS and it gets mildly uncomfortable playing this. :(

As a note, though, I am 100% satisfied with playing it on the 3DS, 30 FPS included.

DO YOU EVEN ENJOY GAMES!?! ARE YOU NEVER SATISFIED!?! I DON'T CARE SO WHY SHOULD YOU

/s of course, glad you're enjoying it! May be worth getting one of those 3DS grips if it helps

sanstesy

so i will lock my games hovering between 100/144fps to 30fps because you are telling me that stable fps with higher lag is better than variable fps with lower lag. noted. better lock ping on online games at 100ms because variable 10~30 is worse too... lol

Why would you lock a game that varies between 100 and 144 fps to 30? You would naturally lock it to 60fps (120fps depending on how regularly it drops below that). Other than a sarcastic gesture you didn't add much here.

A ping from 10 to 30 is not comparable to variable fps from 30 to 60. The latter is a variable framerate at a low FPS standard while the former is fluctuating ping at a high standard. Don't be disingenuous.
You said it's always worse though lol.

Yes, and?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It may be 30 (with some dips) but it's definitely not sluggish to control.

Interestingly, it does run better on the New 3DS because it uses the extra L2 cache, disabling it nets you more slowdown in specific cases.

Today I learned that the gameplay speed of Samus Returns is a limitation of the game's framerate, and if the game just ran at 60fps everything would run faster rather than just smoother.

Because in my "first entry of an expanding brain meme" mind, I don't understand the difference between smoother animations and the actual speed at which characters move or the physics that effect them. I don't understand how a stable 30fps may be less desirable than a stable 60 but better than an unstable framerate, both in terms of trying to compensate for input lag and in terms of visual presentation. I don't understand how 60fps is more important for faster-paced games like the new Doom, but being 60fps doesn't make slower games faster or more responsive.

This is why I think that if Devil May Cry 3 were to run at a locked 30fps it would somehow be more sluggish than the blazing speed of Dark Souls 1 running at 60fps. Because I'm SMART, and EDUCATED.

HKA6A7

just try games at 15fps and tell me that it is not less fun than at 30. it's so simple. more = better...

A game at 15 fps is clearly suffering from technical problems, making it barely playable. That's a different kind of issue, one the developer must fix to let the player enjoy it.

And for the sake of playing along with what you said (And because I can't make 2 comments without a bad joke):
Yes, you are having tons of fun if you are playing EDF at 15 fps, in fact, you should never let that game go higher than 45 ^^

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wonder if anyone in this tread left some 3/10 reviews on Metacritic saying "Play AM2R instead of this shit"

Do people really think Metroid 2 ran at a flawless 60fps?

Maybe the background scrolled at 60 htz but Samus was a slideshow.

It ran at 60, all the time, Samus' animation frames obviously weren't 60 FPS (I don't think any 2D sprite based game has 60 FPS animations) but the screen updated 60 times per second. For that game slowdown would make everything run slower rather than cutting framerate

Fredrik

Sure, 60fps is always better. But the two best games of the generation, Zelda Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn are 30 fps too. Just saying.

Every single time I consider buying a 3DS again for Metroid, I remember the bolded. Even the XL models made my hands cramp up like crazy... The saving grace with Switch is that I can play in tabletop mode!

I'm hoping this sells well so that we get more 2D Metroid games in the future.

Ocarina of Time at 60fps would be better than Ocarina of Time at 30fps...

I feel like the core of this argument is really flawed and kind of bad.

Of course more is better, but at what expense? Let's use Metroid or OoT as an example. Would you rather have Metroid/OoT as it was released at a lower FPS or have a higher FPS game released with different gameplay/content decisions due to the change in how the resources are allocated.

There are only so many resources to go around. Of course "more is better" is ideal, but in almost any hypothetical case that probably wouldn't be realistic.

Peltz

Do technical limitations of games have absolutely no effect on your enjoyment?

They have a minimal effect. They do absolutely affect it, but I can play games that are any resolution or framerate and still have a great time.

I don't allow it to stop me from playing something fun. So yea, while it can impact my enjoyment in a controlled circumstance like when I'm comparing the same game across different resolutions or framerates, when one game has only one resolution and framerate that I'm forced to play in, then I simply evaluate the game for what it is and don't sit there complaining that it should be something else.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Why would you lock a game that varies between 100 and 144 fps to 30? You would naturally lock it to 60fps (120fps depending on how regularly it drops below that). Other than a sarcastic gesture you didn't add much here.

A ping from 10 to 30 is not comparable to variable fps from 30 to 60. The latter is a variable framerate at a low FPS standard while the former is fluctuating ping at a high standard. Don't be disingenuous.

Yes, and?

faster response time is always better whatever the time is. if you can't adjust youseft to the different times that is your problem. less lag = always better than higher lag...

hoserx

remake of mainline game is mainline game.

easy as pie.

Prime by definition is 60fps. Texas FPS games don't know how to be anything else.

So you're saying.... if you made a list of the Mainline metroid games, you'd have to list samus returns twice?

sanstesy

faster response time is always better whatever the time is. if you can't adjust youseft to the different times that is your problem. less lag = always better than higher lag...

I disagree. Consistent and predictable response time/input lag that is always the same is always better than unpredictably fluctuating and inconsistent response time/input lag.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
My biggest pet peeve is people who think 30fps is a problem.

Your eyes get used to it after like 10 seconds, just play the game instead of complaining.

/oldmanyellsatcloud

People needing to justify their hardware purchases / choices. I've recently discovered the ignore feature and when combined with the Neogaf++ chrome add on you don't even have to see the people quoting those who seem to live for framerate (more specifically badmouthing console framerate). The forum has gotten so much more fun not having to read their constant tripe.

On topic the game feels great although I'm playing it on n2DS XL which could possibly run it smoother than the standard console?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I feel like the core of this argument is really flawed and kind of bad.

Of course more is better, but at what expense? Let's use Metroid or OoT as an example. Would you rather have Metroid/OoT as it was released at a lower FPS or have a higher FPS game released with different gameplay/content decisions due to the change in how the resources are allocated.

There are only so many resources to go around. Of course "more is better" is ideal, but in almost any hypothetical case that probably wouldn't be realistic.

neither options. i would rather have a higher FPS game with the "same" gameplay/content with less polys/effects, just like as an example, Last of Us with worse shadows to hit 60fps ;)

dLMN8R

30fps would only be a problem if the game also had less responsive controls with more input lag.

Thankfully, Samus Returns is just as immediately responsive as any other Metroid game. It plays great!

neither options. i would rather have a higher FPS game with the "same" gameplay/content with less polys/effects, just like as an example, Last of Us with worse shadows to hit 60fps ;)

That's not always realistic though, that's kind of my point. If that wasn't the case, every game would run at the best resolution for a given machine at the highest possible framerate.

I feel like PC is definitely the platform for you, then.

Top Bottom