• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first 30 fps Metroid [HELPFUL MOD EDIT] is not Samus Returns

Berordn

Sometimes I watch cable when at my parents house on a standard definition channel, even though I know it's offered in HD (I'd just have to find it).

Does that infuriate you? Please tell me it does.

tbh i'm more bothered you have a cable box that doesn't automatically switch to the HD picture

XandBosch

If we're even talking about passive aggression then it's not even a competition. Dude a few posts above me wanted to buy multiple copies of the game just to spite people here.

If that isn't petty shit then I don't know what it is.

Why would I? This is crazy.

/thread

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If we're even talking about passive aggression then it's not even a competition. Dude a few posts above me wanted to buy multiple copies of the game just to spite people here.

As responses to earlier posts. You got people talking as though they're in a fucking drama with long pauses. If you pay attention, the most realized posts are the ones admitting 30FPS is inferior and it is better if we could have gotten something more, but as it is in its own it's a great item. And I even add that when a better version comes, I'll support it too.

XandBosch

How many people in this thread does it bother that I chose to play I Am Setsuna on Switch (30FPS) rather than PS4 (60FPS - and probably cheaper)? (Yes, I own both systems - and a PC that could've run it)

Morpheus-Matrix-Laurence-Fishburne-c.jpg

OP: "It'd be nice if Samus Returns was 60 fps."

Most of the rest of the thread: "Hey, look at all this straw we found. Let's pile into the shape of a person, and then burn that fucking person to the ground."

Boss Doggie

Most of the rest of the thread: "Hey, look at all this straw we found. Let's pile into the shape of a person, and then burn that fucking person to the ground."

go actually read the progression of the thread

Tabasco

People boycotting the game just because of amiibo and 30 fps just doesn't make sense to me when we've all been wanting a proper Metroid game for the longest time.

XandBosch

Nope, it was not that "kind".

Feels really sluggish as a result (not terrible but way worse than all other metroids)

Anyone else have a hard time with this?

Anyway it is not a dealbreaker - game is great so far - could have been better though

People boycotting the game just because of amiibo and 30 fps just doesn't make sense to me when we've all been wanting a proper Metroid game for the longest time.

This.

jackal27

Banned

I'm very sorry that me buying two copies of an excellent game in a series I would really like to support, even if it's to spite people who don't want to open their 3DS, bothers you so much...

but then again you're kind of just proving the point aren't you? Maybe this shouldn't bother you so much?

This is pedantic and the fact that you even see how I would choose to spend my money as petty is pretty damn silly my guy. You're too emotionally invested in one very small aspect of this one game that debatably may not even have any bearing on its actual quality, playability, or design.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
How many people in this thread does it bother that I chose to play I Am Setsuna on Switch (30FPS) rather than PS4 (60FPS - and probably cheaper)? (Yes, I own both systems - and a PC that could've run it)

Morpheus-Matrix-Laurence-Fishburne-c.jpg

me. i am sad for you that you are having an inferior experience that you could have on better versions :)

XandBosch

me. i am sad for you that you are having an inferior experience that you could have on better versions :)

It wasn't inferior to me, it felt completely fine. I don't notice or care about this kind of shit unless I'm watching a comparison video, which I never do. It's the same exact game to me.

Plus being able to bring it with me to work to play on lunch trumps FPS completely to me.

go actually read the progression of the thread

People started lashing out way before you had a handful of people saying they wouldn't buy the game because of it, and even then, it was like three people.

Nope, it was not that "kind".

This.

"It feels kinda sluggish" === "Go fuck yourself, you stupid asshole"? I'm not seeing anything unkind there.

Also, why do any of you give a shit who does or doesn't play the game? How does it personally effect you to the point that you're getting up in arms about it?

30 fps doesn't bother you? Great.
30 fps does bother someone? That's fine too.

jackal27

Banned
You're talking about a Turn. Based. RPG.

I own the PC and Switch versions and I would much rather play the Switch version any day for a myriad of reasons.

Look, I love you guys. I love 60fps. But you're just not making any sense to me.

Not to mention the fact that we're talking about a hypothetical "superior" version of this new Metroid game that doesn't exist.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It wasn't inferior to me, it felt completely fine. I don't notice or care about this kind of shit unless I'm watching a comparison video, which I never do.

Plus being able to bring it with me to work to play on lunch trumps FPS completely to me.

but you noticed and cared about this thread ;)

Boss Doggie

People started lashing out way before you had a handful of people saying they wouldn't buy the game because of it, and even then, it was like three people.

More like people were telling him that it was already known from the start. Hell, just the title alone is worth raising an eyebrow.

I own the PC and Switch versions and I would much rather play the Switch version any day for a myriad of reasons.

Look, I love you guys. I love 60fps. But you're just not making any sense to me.

Not to mention the fact that we're talking about a hypothetical "superior" version of this new Metroid game that doesn't exist.

Nah see it could be his interpretation of enjoyment. It doesn't have to be 100% of yours.

SoulUnison

Banned
The 30 FPS doesn't bother me on a handheld with the 3D enabled, but I'm surprised at how often the game seems to drop frames and slow down.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

good for you. framerate and resolution are kings, IMO of course :)

Bauer91

The 30 FPS doesn't bother me on a handheld with the 3D enabled, but I'm surprised at how often the game seems to drop frames and slow down.

Are you playing on a regular 3DS/2DS? Because that's been my experience on one. All this talk about 30fps and nobody seems to mention that it's not even locked on old hardware. And in a moderately fast paced game like this, it becomes very noticeable a couple of hours into it.

Are you playing on a regular 3DS/2DS? Because that's been my experience on one. All this talk about 30fps and nobody seems to mention that it's not even locked on old hardware. And in a moderately fast paced game like this, it becomes very noticeable a couple of hours into it.

Beside from the elevator loading scenes, I haven't seen any actual drops.

In fact all the elevator frame drops have all the same pacing so I have half a mind to think it's intentional for some reason.

Lutherian

Man, I wish we could all travel in time to have this stupid "30 FPS debacle" at the N64 era.

Super Mario 64 is 30 FPS !!! CANCEL EVERYTHING !!

Wave Race 64 is 20 FPS !!

Conker's Bad Fur Day is 15-20 FPS !!!1!!1!

Perfect Dark" is 10-15 FPS !

Oh, and by the way:

Monster Hunter Stories is 60 FPS. Good luck to get such it stable for the whole game. But HEY, it's 60 FPS so it's great, right ? Instable as fuck, but it's great, right ? Instead of a perfect stable 30 FPS like Samus Returns !

Opa-Pa

Yeah it's disappointing but we've known about this for months now.

I was bummed about it but once I tried the game, I realized movement is so smooth and responsive that I forget about it while playing. The game plays like a dream, and 30fps sure as hell beats not having this game at all.

In truth, if this had been a completely 2D game with sprites, it'd probably run at 60, HOWEVER the pros to it being 2.5D in terms of control and camera angles are so worth it.

Oh, another whine thread about "30 FPS" on a fucking 2011 console.

That has nothing to do with 30fps locks though.

dogen

So after some time with the game, yes the framerate really does hurt the experience quite a lot

This makes me even more apprehensive about buying the game. 30 fps has always been especially noticeable for me in sidescrollers.

Boss Doggie

Yeah it's disappointing but we've known about this for months now.

I was bummed about it but once I tried the game, I realized movement is so smooth and responsive that I forget about it while playing. The game plays like a dream, and 30fps sure as hell beats not having this game at all.

In truth, if this had been a completely 2D game with sprites, it'd probably run at 60, HOWEVER the pros to it being 2.5D in terms of control and camera angles are so worth it.

Is there a term for those lamenting on something that is better but doesn't exist, and probably wouldn't conventionally anyway? That they'd rather mope about that?

I honestly can't even tell if '30 FPS=garbage' is a meme now.
The 3DS is ancient hardware. The game is probably the best remake/remaster released.

The game deserves to do well, and I will be deeply disappointed if it doesn't.

From my understanding of how the 3DS handles 3D, that's pretty much what they would have to do to make it work in 60 FPS
You don't understand how it works. The 3DS doesn't have to render at 120 to display at 60... 3d isn't done by halving framerate, it rendered two 400x240 images then uses parallax barrier to display those two images to each eye separately.

There are also many games that don't allow 3d at all as well.

Top Bottom