• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

WalshyB

When Barry entered the suit, I expected them to somehow change it so it was actually the remnant making the remnants, the suit then makes barry kill most of them. Now I'm thinking about it.. I would make a terrible writer

nOoblet16

Lol I called it, the show is as subtle as a hammer. That face device doesn't get brought up until the end of the season for no purpose other than to show that it exists. Then there was the HR remorse speech.

velociraptor

Just reading some of the comments in this thread. You guys really hated this season that bad huh?

Sure, it was no S1 (or even S2 which I enjoyed more), but it was still a somewhat enjoyable watch. The last couple of episodes have been somewhat exciting at the very least, despite the story being some of what a clusterfuck.

Just reading some of the comments in this thread. You guys really hated this season that bad huh?

Sure, it was no S1 (or even S2 which I enjoyed more), but it was still a somewhat enjoyable watch. The last couple of episodes have been somewhat exciting at the very least, despite the story being some of what a clusterfuck.

I didn't hate it. I was, more or less or more more, disappointed how it all turned out. There was alot of potential for the season to be decent and not so.... Confuzzling. Wasted the Flashpoint storyline. Wasted the Savitar storyline. Barely any character development. No advances in powers for the main character and that's really odd for me. Forced drama that's even too much by CW standards. Wasted Rogues and appearances.

-

The ending really told me how fast our Barry is and he.... isn't.... as fast as we think he is. It sucks that Barry has literally peaked in terms of speed. The Speed Force has told us directly that he's peaked and his race is done. His power levels will still be inconsistent but it's just frustrating me that he has reached his peak at whatever speeds the show has and will reveal to us. Which.... Reminds me that they don't adhere to their own rules.

nOoblet16

It's because Savitar was just a terrible villain, he was elusive for the most part of the season and while Zoom was taking over and terrorising the city. It felt like no one even heard of Savitar outside the group. The biggest threat from him was that he was going to kill Iris, which he did.....except it was a bait and switch. The reveal was too late, the foreshadowing way too obvious, the Killer Frost arc was like whatever the hell it was.

Also this Speedforce always needs someone trapped in the prison thing, why? Who was the prisoner before Savitar? Ofcourse the reasoning for this will be it's speedforce, don't gotta explain shit !

I wonder if Barry is going to get replaced by Wally as The Flash now but I doubt CW will do anything that drastic eventhough it would be completely in line with the source material.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I didn't hate it. I was, more or less or more more, disappointed how it all turned out. There was alot of potential for the season to be decent and not so.... Confuzzling. Wasted the Flashpoint storyline. Wasted the Savitar storyline. Barely any character development. No advances in powers for the main character and that's really odd for me. Forced drama that's even too much by CW standards. Wasted Rogues and appearances.

-

The ending really told me how fast our Barry is and he.... isn't.... as fast as we think he is. It sucks that Barry has literally peaked in terms of speed. The Speed Force has told us directly that he's peaked and his race is done. His power levels will still be inconsistent but it's just frustrating me that he has reached his peak at whatever speeds the show has and will reveal to us. Which.... Reminds me that they don't adhere to their own rules.

I've no idea why people are taking the Speed Force at face value.

LotusHD

Banned

Didn't hate it (That's like Arrow S3-level), but I did not like it. It's just frustrating since S1 knocked it out of the park, and then it's (imo) been mediocre ever since. That being said, S2's Zoom was great up until he took off the mask and randomly fell for Caitlin, but Savitar just sucked since Day 1.

And while S3 was ultimately not as bad as Arrow's S3, it's also gradually getting harder to overlook the show's unique issues.

I still hate what they did with the killer frost story.

The reason every bad metta went bad was because they Already were or something terrible happened but for another unexplained reason caitlin is somehow transformed into a new person when she gets her powers.

Always felt very wrong and just a lazy way to change the character.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like Felton but I feel like his character lost the vast majority of his personality once he became the love interest. He got Mon-El'd!

Yeah, he was a natural as a snide-asshole character always busting Barry's balls.

Patryn

I really do hope that they have the balls to keep Barry on the sideline for multiple episodes at the beginning of the season.

I think what I'd like to see is Team Flash running with Wally as the Flash for a while. Literally no Barry. No flashbacks, no cuts to him in the Speed Force, nothing. Maybe talk about him, but you never, ever, ever see him. Really sell that he's gone.

Then you have shit start to go wrong right around Fall sweeps. Have Team Flash get in way over their head, shit's going wrong, everything is dire. Then, just as Wally is nearly finished, there's a bolt of lightning and there's Barry, standing proud and tall, here to save the day. After that, have Barry mop things up and use the experience to get him to return to his more happy go lucky self. Really sell whatever happened to him in the Speed Force as a learning experience. Stop having him fucking taking Ls everywhere.

Yes, I'm more or less ripping off Waid's Flash #100, which I think is a great return entrance, but it will only work if we get like 3-4 episodes of absolutely no Barry.

LionPride

Banned

It was horribly paced and had chunks of episodes where nothing substantially happened or changed. At all. That's not good TV. I don't think it's trash, but uh...I didn't think it was good either.

LotusHD

Banned
It was horribly paced and had chunks of episodes where nothing substantially happened or changed. At all. That's not good TV. I don't think it's trash, but uh...I didn't think it was good either.

At least we got this:

infinitedancefosc0.gif

tap.gif

LionPride

Banned
It was a 12 episode story strung out over double the episodes.
I honestly believe some of these cape shows need to follow the SHIELD model, which just then boils down to good writing above all else because even if you did the "pod" system with one overarching plotline, if the writing bad the writing bad. Hopefully Flash has decent writing next year.
At least we got this:

infinitedancefosc0.gif

tap.gif
Ok but fr fr, I knkw schedules and what not, but that crossover episode was built of off forced bs drama on both shows and it just annoyed me that they did that to Iris and Mon-El only to solve everything in one episode.

LotusHD

Banned
I honestly believe some of these cape shows need to follow the SHIELD model, which just then boils down to good writing above all else because even if you did the "pod" system with one overarching plotline, if the writing bad the writing bad. Hopefully Flash has decent writing next year.

Ok but fr fr, I knkw schedules and what not, but that crossover episode was built of off forced bs drama on both shows and it just annoyed me that they did that to Iris and Mon-El only to solve everything in one episode.

Yes, if they all did it like AoS, things would likely go so much more smoothly. But in the end, it still comes down to good writing. Though I prefer AoS' model, Arrow showed that you actually can stick to their usual formula and still have a great season.

As for that episode, yea the resolution was dumb, but I enjoy those two hanging out lol

Sir Doom

Not a bad finale but space out in the middle. Good special effects though
Also being true to CW formula, will they or will they not hapoened

Xenoboy

Legends was bit dumb in the end, don't like how they offed Eobard, but the other three gets of scott free. Sure... Still liked that season a lot though.

I've no idea why people are taking the Speed Force at face value.

I don't know either :/ and that applies to myself.
-

In a way, like some have mentioned, having Barry disappearing is like a whole new beginning or a restart to the series. I'm assuming that once Barry is released the Speed Force will be healed and there shouldn't be any issues from now on, in regards to good Speedsters.

Doing rankings for what I've watched comic-wise:

1. Into The Badlands - badassery all around. The justbleed.gif gods were pleased!
2. Penny Dreadful - werewolves, vampires, demons, oh my!
3. Legends of Tomorrow - overall embracing of the silliness.
4. Agents of Shield - Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider and Aida!
5. The Strain - so terrible but I can't stop watching.
6. Supergirl - it was more enjoyable to me than The Flash and that surprises me.
7. The Flash - just a disappointment all around.

I saw a bit of Legion but I just couldn't get into it. The same goes for Arrow again. But if I did then they would definitely fit in somewhere in my list.

GulAtiCa

I wish these CW DC shows would cut out the fat and give us shorter seasons. Improve the quality of the show.

Being shorter doesn't translate to better quality. Doctor Who has had a few seasons of basically seasons despite being 12ish episodes.

Arrow this year has proven that a 20+ episode season can be a kickass season if the plot/writing/etc is done well. Arrow just had an explosive finale for it's hot season.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'll fight anyone who says kill Laurel but both Iris and Felicity have long since overstayed their welcomes in their respective shows in my opinion.
I don't get this. It's not like they're super annoying or dumb or anything. (At least not this season, Felicity had a bad stretch a while back.)

Why have they overstayed their welcomes more than, say, Joe or Lance any other non-fighting character?

More than killing off Iris, yeah.

Too many people here and in the Arrow OT have been like "Kill Iris/Felicity/Laurel"

Need to hop off thay shit.

So I guess you conveintly forgot how awful the character if Laurel was when she was with Oliver. The CW shows have a problem that I've stated many times, they can't write SOs. At all. Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Legends, all the shows deal with this. And people like you, who can't figure out how to fix a character beyond killing them because you don't like them, fuck up shows.

truth

Guys guys...can't we just all agree that all these shows are terrible and we only watch them for the attractive lads and lasses?

I'm actually pretty hyped for Cloak and Dagger, I'm not gonna lie.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i think the cw's issue revolves around trying to hamfist a growing cast of regulars into 95% of the season. so in order to do that they have to dumb down the main character or the first couple to make room for so many others and give them something generic to do every single episode.

loved flash s1 and s2 (though the decline def started in s3), but i probably won't tune in to 4 until it is all wrapped up. this season just had so much potential and turned out to be so shitty, every episode was just cluttered with endless contradictions and legitimately useless filler -- even the latter episodes or "main story" episodes (which in the past were always the best).

arrow has been on the rebound this season though, will have to catch up with the second half to see how it closes, but might get back on that train

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really underwhelming finale, mostly because of the switcheroo at the top of it. Wasn't handled very well, neither was the penultimate fight. Everything loses it's gravity when you can conveniently react quickly or late to things, and yeah that's always been a problem with the show so no big deal there, but it just kind of felt extra weightless this time.

Overall, yeah season has been quite a slow burn, and not in a good way. It's hard to muster up the care, especially when Barry's terror management didn't really flow well up until the climax, and it was across way too many damn episodes. Genuinely don't know if it's just this season or CW shows have reached peak meaninglessness in writing.

EDIT: Also suffers from a severe mumbo jumbo tech lingo problem that solves every problem. Over and over again. Hard to care, and generally creates shitty stories.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Pretty bland finale. Eh...

Sad about H.R. though. That was a good twist.

Hopefully Wally steps up as the Flash, and Barry is gone for more than a couple episodes.

SHIELD had 23 episdoes was quality

Arrow was 23 episodes was quality

Flash Season 1 was 23 episodes was quality
Arrow could have cut just about all the Russia stuff and all the Helix stuff and nothing of value would've been lost. That was my 'look at Facebook' time. That Prometheus arc could be been finished in half the time.

LakeEarth

I know it has nothing to do with the main plot, but I was pretty much done with the show when they had a random bank robber have a gun capable of shooting homing bullets as fast as (or faster) then the Flash. Nevermind that it also shot rockets, electronic nets, etc. No explanation of where this gun came from or anything. Just making shit up on the fly, no time to explain.

So I wasn't surprised when Savitar had a magic rock that prevented Flash's gun to work. It also scares away bears.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I know it has nothing to do with the main plot, but I was pretty much done with the show when they had a random bank robber have a gun capable of shooting homing bullets as fast as (or faster) then the Flash. No explanation of where this gun came from or anything. Just making shit up on the fly, no explanation given.
...i don't even remember this.

caliph95

Arrow was able to justify it's length time and time again besides 3 and 4 but those seasons don't exist Flash on the hand in the third season and somewhat in 2 had shitty pacing. It's not like they don't have enough as mentioned Savitar as barry can take a lot more episodes than it does and the maybe redemption could even be an episode or two by itself even more by making him conflicted about everything. We also had the cult and by giving a motivation besides and something to do besides Iris they can have the cult do stuff like infiltrate the police or create a metahuman army with generic powers for the budget anything than what we got. It just wasted potential, even read somewhere of how cool would it be if Savitar sacrifices himself for the speed force prison
You don't remember plunder i think it was a wally focus episodes

GulAtiCa

I hope next year they get rid of the stupid fucking drama. So much of it.... Esp with Cisco... Hope the writers learn that drama like that, bad! Hell, learn from Arrow this season, which basically had zero. go back to when the show was about light hearted goodness & fun.

LakeEarth

3x10, the bank robber's name was "Plunder". He's apparently from the mirror universe, which ... I mean, okay so that's supposed to be the explanation of where the gun came from?

They didn't even call attention to the gun, which bugs me the most.

Top Bottom