• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Foreigner (Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan) - Official Trailer

AudioEppa

Jackie finally got to do a serious action movie in America.

Happy for him. It looks really good. Music was good too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wasnt sure if there was a thread an OT thread on this but I got to see it yesterday.

Pretty good movie. Jackie chan still has it. Although, i think for the movie, because of his age he had to focus more on his wisdom and smarts to stay alive. For a man of his age to still move like he does is super impressive.

Plot was well thought out, although dry at times. The fight scenes make up for it. I almost wish we had a prequel with young jackie.

All this time I thought Brosnan was British. Nice to see him in his irish accent.

Spoiler: For the people who have seen it, can you explain
the kiss at the end for me
?

Edit: for those wondering. This isnt going to top the raid for any fight scenes or any of jackie chans older movies. But definitely worth the money to watch as theres some cool scenes.

Wasnt sure if there was a thread an OT thread on this but I got to see it yesterday.

Pretty good movie. Jackie chan still has it. Although, i think for the movie, because of his age he had to focus more on his wisdom and smarts to stay alive. For a man of his age to still move like he does is super impressive.

Plot was well thought out, although dry at times. The fight scenes make up for it. I almost wish we had a prequel with young jackie.

All this time I thought Brosnan was British. Nice to see him in his irish accent.

Spoiler: For the people who have seen it, can you explain
the kiss at the end for me
?

Edit: for those wondering. This isnt going to top the raid for any fight scenes or any of jackie chans older movies. But definitely worth the money to watch as theres some cool scenes.

For the R rating, was it mainly language or did the fighting get pretty violent? I'm sure it doesn't come close to something like The Raid, but I'm curious. You can answer in spoiler tags if you prefer.

Jimrpg

Saw this last night and can give people my thoughts.

As the trailers have shown, this movie will appeal to fans of Taken. The movie is set between London and Belfast. Jackie's lost his only daughter in a terrorist bombing (this is revealed in the trailers) and he's out to take down the bombers. His search for the bombers leads him to Liam Henessy (Pierce Brosnan's character) who is the VP for Northern Ireland. Jackie won't stop at anything in order to get the names of the bombers.

The movie works ok, if you don't think too much about what is going on. If you follow it for the ride, its decent to pass the time. However its kind of susceptible to a lot of nitpicking, including the most obvious one which is - the movie goes to a lot of trouble stressing the tense relationship between northern ireland and england, but Jackie don't care who it is. If that's the case, why even bother? The movie is literally one half Jackie demanding names of the bombers, and one half Pierce Brosnan (doing his best Gerry Adams impersonation) explaining British/Northern Irish tension. There are other aspects
like the multiple affairs
that feel forced or are too convenient
bus bombing
that drag the movie down.

Jackie literally becomes urban and jungle Rambo in this movie. There's some nice action sequences, but most of it is nothing new (not a fair complaint considering how many movies he's done). Pierce Brosnan is also way too close to Gerry Adams that its actually a little awkward watching, by that I mean, his character kind of gets hung out to dry. I doubt Mr. Adams would be impressed.

Overall, its fine but disappointing at the same time. I would probably give it a 6/10.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
For the R rating, was it mainly language or did the fighting get pretty violent? I'm sure it doesn't come close to something like The Raid, but I'm curious. You can answer in spoiler tags if you prefer.
It was probably for the affair scene or cursing. I dont think the fight scenes were too brutal. Nothing was too distracting that stood out.

I agree with the poster above though. If you like Taken this is worth the watch. But if youre expecting young jackie you might be dissappointed. Hes old now, thats something we have to get used to.

Also no bloopers at the end of my viewing.

histopher

So this came out in Australia last week. So many of my friends wanted to see it and come this weekend I can't find a screening in my area. Pretty bummed out
:(

I'll try my best to keep it mostly spoiler-free, I'll put anything sensitive in tags.

This movie is pretty enjoyable and also kind of frustrating.

It looks nice, the action is stage well (though a little too cut-ty onsidering they have Jackie Chan) and the soundtrack is kind of a pseudo-synth deal. Jackie and Brosnan both give pretty good performances, and seeing Jackie change into this hardened man is pretty fun.

The story's pretty messy and it gets hard to follow who each of the characters are, what their motivations are, what they're hiding, and how they all connect to one another. It wraps it all up pretty neatly by the end but you'll hurt your brain trying to put it all together beforehand.

My biggest issue with the movie is that Jackie
isn't in the movie all that much, and when he is he just gets in the way. It's kind of like in a Batman comic where the police are accusing him of doing more harm than good and instead just letting them do their job. He harasses Brosnan and the police to give him the names when they genuinely don't know and are working their hardest to figure it out. Jackie also disappears for good chunks of the movie while it focuses on Brosnan's IRA politics, then he'll pop up to get in the way when they're sorting things out.

All in all pretty enjoyable and it's cool seeing these actors take a different direction, but don't go into it expecting a bombastic Jackie Chan flick.

Jaraghan

Just got back. It was meh. Didn't think the IRA politics was going to be such a big deal. Jackie's actions scene also didn't mean much to me tbh. Those scenes felt weak even though they were the reason I went after seeing the trailer.

I loved Taken, but don't really see any connections between the two movies. Yeah, the main characters daughter has something tragic happen, and then they get revenge. But that's really it.

Actually saw the trailer for the first time when I went to see Blade Runner. My bae Katie Leung is in it,
and based on the trailer, not very long. Shame

Top Bottom