• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Frame Rate of Fallout 4 in Interiors is horrible [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't expect a game to be perfect. Some jank and a few drops aren't world breakers if it's in rare circumstances. What IS pissing me off is the shitty embargos. I wanna hear from reviewers or DF as to which version is best. I have the PS4 version on order, somewhat hesitantly from the start as their reputation on Sony platforms is garbage.

My cursor is hovering over the cancel order button. The only thing saving me from doing it is the fact that I'm getting it for $50 CDN, so $30 less than MSRP. I could always not open it and resell it.

Maybe have some discipline and get the game AFTER you've been able to read reviews?

bigmac996

I own the game and it's not that noticeable to me. I noticed a lot of my frame drops in 3rd person strangely enough. Not sure if that has any effect. There are hitches though. Hopefully Bethesda can patch this out asap.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Some individuals don't care so long as they can be hyped for a game regardless of the end product.

The point is that these two things are not mutually exclusive. You can love a game and still want it to have an appropriate level of technical quality at the same time. In fact, you should want that even more because you love the game. And you won't get that without a little bit of public outcry.

Durante

Haven't heard this before. You mind explaining it Durante?
Well, the XB1 does have a faster CPU than PS4. For one, it's clocked slightly faster, and for another I believe developers have partial access to one more core than on PS4.

It's just that these relatively minor hardware differences don't amount to nearly as much as is often ascribed to them.

R&R

Haven't any of you been watching any streams on Twitch? Framerate problems are bad (especially inside buildings w/action) but are hardly the only issue the game has...it has multiple issues like all Gamebryo shitshows. So those of you preordering - enjoy your jank.

Pop

I own the game and it's not that noticeable to me. I noticed a lot of my frame drops in 3rd person strangely enough. Not sure if that has any effect. There are hitches though. Hopefully Bethesda can patch this out asap.

So now you and another guy said the framerate is fine.

People are going to ignore both of y'all.

JaeCryo

Banned
Aw hell I have a Gtx680. I'm not sure where I fall on the spectrum of PC or ps4.

I actually have this same question too...

GTX 680 with 4 gb V-Ram, i7 3740 CPU 2.7-3.7 ghz 8 cpus

Didn't do very well with DA: I... my problem is it will run modern games at 60 fps for a few seconds, then dip to ~30, but if I were to alt-tab and re open the game, it'll run at 60 again for a few seconds before going back down...

And I'm not that tech savvy so I really don't know if it means I'm doing something wrong with my set-up or my rig isn't powerful enough.

1509301501324172972.jpg

DrKelpo

Banned
Yea they are crazy. Can't wait for the midnight launch tomorrow.

It noticeably dropped but it didn't look unplayable.

Was expecting worse based on the title.

yeah, it never gets unplayable, but i can ensure you that fights like that are frustrating, because you have problems focusing the crosshair on the enemy, especially when they are moving, so you keep missing the target. its not "just" a graphical issue, it really has an effect on the gameplay unfortunately.
happened also in some scenes where some molerats (or whatever they are called) attacked me and i had problems aiming because the framerate went down.

Gurish

Yup and maybe in his game he hasn't encountered anything yet or just doesn't care to notice.
We have a PS4 that said the same (game is a solid 30), but he just didn't get to the problematic parts yet (interiors, scope shooting from a distance), I bet it's the same case for this guy as well.

The problems are not apparent immediately.

FranXico

Not that it is a *better* CPU. It is the same CPU running at a higher top frequency. If you're CPU limited then, yes, it will deliver a better result.

The difference would never amount to massive framerate drops on one version versus the other though.

How can so many people defend this and then go blast Titanfall for an example for FPS problems. I know that they might not be the same person, but I wouldn't doubt if I searched post histories I would find something similar.

jackdoe

yeah, it never gets unplayable, but i can ensure you that fights like that are frustrating, because you have problems focusing the crosshair on the enemy, especially when they are moving, so you keep missing the target. its not "just" a graphical issue, it really has an effect on the gameplay unfortunately.
happened also in some scenes where some molerats (or whatever they are called) attacked me and i had problems aiming because the framerate went down.
I wouldn't be surprised if they picked this issue up during QA and said "Fuck it, they can use VATs when the framerate dips into the 20s."

JaeCryo

Banned
Well, the XB1 does have a faster CPU than PS4. For one, it's clocked slightly faster, and for another I believe developers have partial access to one more core than on PS4.

It's just that these relatively minor hardware differences don't amount to nearly as much as is often ascribed to them.

Okay, this sounds vaguely familiar but I haven't really heard of it before. I guess it's because of the windows 8 (or whatever OS it is) architecture that it needs, or has, a faster processor right?

Then what is it that makes PS4 run more games at 1080p where X1 is usually forced down to 900p?

Dingle

Neo Member
So now you and another guy said the framerate is fine.

People are going to ignore both of y'all.

Well, I could look at the leak videos, showing the bad performance first hand or I can believe two people on Neogaf telling me 'it's not that bad'.

Krakn3Dfx

PS4 has the same architecture as the One and not that classic Sony chip weirdness. So why would we be insane? And how does the One version run actually?

I agree, it shouldn't be an issue, but it's still not a DirecX platform though, which is what Bethesda seems to concentrate on.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm still buying the PS4 version for Remote Play functionality (in addition to the PC version), but I'm going into it expecting these types of issues.

Tagyhag

First World Problems: The Thread.

You know how people ask why some games have problems like they do?

It's because of people like this.

When they can get people to turn on their fellow consumer and in fact berate them for even trying to want a better experience, you know you won.

CGwizz

Unfuckingbelievable people still defends bethesda to this day, this is why shit like this never will change...
I was predicting it cause only a blind cant see the clues:

Why do you think they never showed ps4 footage, why do you think review embargo is on the 10 the day game launchs, people still believes Pete Hynes tweets ? LOL

If this was EA or Ubisoft ? Holy shit it would be the end f the world but no , its bethesda!!!

GIVE THEM ALL THE GOTYs !!!

EvB

Oh man, there was me think after the last 5 RPGs that bethesda have made looking like shit and running like shit that this one would somehow be different...

or not.

I really don't know why anybody would be surprised, it's hardly unchartered territory for this kind of game.
The fact there are youtube video dedicated to the glitches of Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout/Fallout NV/Skyrim is quite telling.

tuxfool

Banned
The difference would never amount to massive framerate drops on one version versus the other though.

You're right, I wouldn't say massive. The differences between the consoles are often overstated, but you will see the odd difference here or there. This includes frame rate.

Gattsu25

Banned
You don't know what "game breaking" means. If it was game breaking there likely wouldn't be a video to tell the tale.
Um..what?

There's tons of bugs that are considered game breaking without resulting in crashes or visual artifacts.

That said, my post was using a non-standard definition to imply that I wouldn't be caught dead continuing to play a game if the framerate degraded so poorly during aiming. Real-time sniping is my combat mode of choice in fallout and seeing the framerate crapout so consistently is definitely something that would ruin the game for me.

Edit: I see that zenimax has taken down the video with a DMCA copyright strike. For those that didn't see it, the player is using a sniper laser rifle and whenever they zoom in the framerate drops down to ~10~15 fps. Consistently. It visibly messes with the player's ability to aim.

Andodalf

Banned

It would if the game is locking to 20 if it's below 30. The actual difference is 30 fps, xbox, 29 fps ps4,but the frame lock kills ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom