• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Frame Rate of Fallout 4 in Interiors is horrible [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know it's not a legitimate argument... but it is a legitimate solution.
It's not a great solution. The difference with TW3 is that it had a stupid easy difficulty curve, so deaths became far and few between by mid-game for me. But entering buildings and fast travel? Needed to do those all game.

That doesn't excuse TW3 mind you, but still.

kaskade

If this is the case across every PS4 version, which I don't see why it wouldn't be, I hope it's fixed quickly.

Reviews tomorrow are going to be interesting. Curious what they'll say.

When we have games like MGS5 which are 1080p/60fps with better graphics than this and are also open world, bethesda have no excuses to not be hitting a solid 30fps

What?!

MGS5 open world is a literal baren fucking wasteland with miles between any group of buildings. It shouldn't be used as an example for anything in terms of performance because it barely tries.

I just find it weird that if the PS4 edition runs worse why would they send out the review copies for PS4 and not the Xbox one edition if it does run better. They also have the marketing with the Xbox one so why not send those as the reviews copies?

Isn't it obvious? They want the deliberately gimped version to be out among reviewers so they can trash it in the reviews and drive everyone to the superior Xbox version.

Or they just don't know that the game doesn't run that great.
Or even better, they just don't care if the game doesn't run that great.

Lol funny thing is that this is why I love Neogaf. I enjoy the these threads more than I do the games.

Rly? I def spend more time on gaf than gaming but that feeling of exploring a new game's world and just immersing yourself for hours on end feels way more rewarding than the former. Granted, we don't get a ton of games that have fantastic world building and atmosphere in a given year, so that also adds to the special feeling.

*My opinion*
I'm a bit surprised about this!
The in game graphics are certainly not so great!
In the first video everything looks so out of place and fake looking. Just a drop and paste. And the textures are horrendous!
I'm sure that it will be taken care of in an update if enough hoo-hah is made!
Still think it will be a great game though!

Lucifon

Just noticed on the unboxing of the pip boy edition both Gamestop and IGN received Xbox One versions. Do we know which platform multiplatform outlets received the game on for review?

Hypron

What?!

MGS5 open world is a literal baren fucking wasteland with miles between any group of buildings. It shouldn't be used as an example for anything in terms of performance because it barely tries.

It keeps in framerate even in areas with tons of enemies (OKB0 for example) when shit's exploding all over the place though (the only thing that causes short drops are full screen alpha effects — and not even all the time — and those are fairly rare). The videos in the OP are happening mostly indoors, some of them when nothing's even happening. You are not even in the open world at that stage.

KORNdoggy

I wonder what percentage of people are going to use VATS vs FPS.

All of the leaks I've seen so far have been FPS style which isn't the way I play.

100% VATS for me assuming they havn't nerfed it. The real time shooting still looks janky as hell.

If this is the case across every PS4 version, which I don't see why it wouldn't be, I hope it's fixed quickly.

Reviews tomorrow are going to be interesting. Curious what they'll say.

I doubt they'll say anything. The gaming media ignored Skyrim's (PS3) problems, and they will likely ignore any problems here.

I don't know the reason, but these boring busywork simulators get a free pass in spite of being riddled with bugs and poor performance.

TyrantII

When we have games like MGS5 which are 1080p/60fps with better graphics than this and are also open world, bethesda have no excuses to not be hitting a solid 30fps

Sure they do. Piles and piles of fucking money.

Gamebryo until we fools stop buying it. Hell, at least Activision tries to put more bells and whistles into their 15 year old engine while making sure performance is in the upper end. Bethesda? BwahHahahahaa!

Matush

*My opinion*
I'm a bit surprised about this!
The in game graphics are certainly not so great!
In the first video everything looks so out of place and fake looking. Just a drop and paste. And the textures are horrendous!
I'm sure that it will be taken care of in an update if enough hoo-hah is made!
Still think it will be a great game though!
FOwZ77O.gif

Yeah, man, those Bethesda games, nobody's ever critical toward them. Especially not around here.

There's a guy acting like a fanboy... toward a video game? Man, the shit that only Bethesda gets away with...

Ugh, I know, right? Every time a Bethesda game is brought up in this place it's just post after post of unchecked positivity. Just filled with people praising everything about their games, from the characters, to the plot, graphics, writing, characters, gameplay, and visuals.

God, I am so sick of Bethesda fanboys getting away with it! If only someone had the courage to be even slightly critical of Bethesda games. What a hero they would be. What a beautiful hero.

It keeps in framerate even in areas with tons of enemies (OKB0 for example) when shit's exploding all over the place though. The videos in the OP are happening mostly indoors, some of them when nothing's even happening. You are not even in the open world at that stage.

Oh, I know realize it may seem I'm defending fallout 4. I'm not.

Just a sore spot with mgs5.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well to be fair the "open worlds" of MGSV are pretty barren and empty. The game also doesn't memorize the position and states of every objects in the environment.

Exactly. You go back into the world in MGS V and everything just resets including enemy positions (though enemies can become smart and adapt to your tactics). You have no impact on the overall progression on the world. Of course though the gameplay loop is much better probably and is pretty much perfect.

ckohler

I just saw a live streamer on PS4 playing that exact same section from the OPs video set in the car company building and it was smooth. So, yeah. Take that as you will.

Walpurgis

Banned
Well to be fair the "open worlds" of MGSV are pretty barren and empty. The game also doesn't memorize the position and states of every objects in the environment.

The Witcher 3 remembers all of my loot drops around the world (but gets wiped after certain story moments). I think it also remembers dead enemies and its graphics/tech are a generation beyond Fallout 4.

moojito

I grew up playing dizzy on the spectrum and r-type on the snes. I was born in low fps, molded by it. I didn't see frames in double digits until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

Walpurgis

Banned
Damn do I ever hope the game turns out amazing. Never thought my hype could be so low for the follow up to one of my fave games of all time.

Long load times, sketchy frame rate, underwhelming graphics, less RPG depth?? :(

I'm surprised by my apathy towards the game as well. I've never played Fallout but Skyrim was awesome during the first few weeks. I was insanely hyped during the lead up to the announcement of Fallout 4. I never expected it to end like this.

Figured this would run the worst on PS4. I just had a hunch.

So if this runs better on XB1 can we finally start to talk about MS marketing deal shenanigans because this would make it 100%. The other games that ran better on XB1 all had marketing deals but anytime anyone brings it up they get a tinfoilhat.gif thrown in their face.

If I had tinfoilhat.gif, I would throw it at you.

Seriously dude, you think a major 3rd party dev is purposefully gimping performance on the platform that didn't give them money in a marketing deal? Or that they are giving preferential optimization to the platform that did give them money? Yikes...

So...it's a Bethesda game.

Yeah, this is what I thought would happen.

Honestly, this is how I feel every time Bethesda releases a new game. I stopped posting in those threads because people think of it as a drive by troll post, but seriously people... Not only should you expect this of Bethesda, but you're also taking your life in your own hands by buying it on console. At least modders can fix it for you in a few months on PC...

artsi

Exactly. You go back into the world in MGS V and everything just resets including enemy positions (though enemies can become smart and adapt to your tactics). You have no impact on the overall progression on the world. Of course though the gameplay loop is much better probably and is pretty much perfect.

That should be a RAM issue though, the design of MGSV was limited by PS3 and X360 which had a pitiful amount of memory available.

I don't see why a game with persisent world couldn't be as pretty, when there's enough memory to store that data. I don't think it's the CPU or GPU that keeps the tab on what belongs where, just what's right in front of you.

cackhyena

Honestly, this is how I feel every time Bethesda releases a new game. I stopped posting in those threads because people think of it as a drive by troll post, but seriously people... Not only should you expect this of Bethesda, but you're also taking your life in your own hands by buying it on console. At least modders can fix it for you in a few months on PC...
Life in our own hands? Will the console attack us?

Blastoise

Banned
I did cancel my PS4 preorder because I knew that playing on PC would be the way to go.

It's a shame that the community has to fix Bethesda's fuck ups. But I guess Bethesda knows that they will.

ogbg

At the risk of sounding like a corporate plant load times are really bottom of my list of concerns. Bloodborne is probably my game of the year. I hope the sniper frame rate video is just caused by the campfire alpha effects and not a general sniper problem though.

KORNdoggy

After watching the dailymotion 1hour vid, i can say i can quite happily accept that level of performance. Its not perfect, but its not anywhere near as bad as some of those shorter clips make out.

So either its a very specific area issue, or someones PS4 is on its way out. Isn't there a way to clear the cache on a PS4? I'd heard about people doing it for witcher and other games and it helped with performance hickups. Might be something to try?

*sigh* Not bait at all.
I just wanted to state my view.
I'm already going to buy the game!
Actually hoping that someone from Bethesda reads my opinion, takes it to heart and clean the textures up a little!
Remember If no one said anything, nothing would ever get fixed!

Dibils2k

this console generation sucks

you cant do anything ambitious without sacrificing performance or visuals. thanks MS and Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom