• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2017 Discussion

From the IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast (facebook) Forums
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nvcforums/
sDELaYW.png

Might be fluff

That acceptance speech was super hype.

First game of the year award in the shows history.

For Nintendo, I think you mean, right? Which is damn near absurd, I still can't believe Dragon Age Inquisition won over Bayo 2, that was a very low point for the Pope Awards. But what I meant is that it wasn't the first GOTY list this year right? I remember Time had one I believe. Regardless, there's 0 chance BOTW isn't going to win damn nearly everything. It's just a ridiculously well designed game.

xviper

It was obviously gonna be between Zelda and PUBG.

between ?? dude, there was no competition at all

and even if there was a competition, it would have been between Zelda and Mario, but the gap is huge, Zelda is much MUCH better than the rest

in 2016 awards most people agreed that Overwatch should be the winner but some people though Online only games don't win so they expected Uncharted 4, good thing the winner is Overwatch and it's well deserved

in 2015 the competition was between Witcher 3, MGS V and Bloodborne, most people agreed that Witcher 3 should be the winner and it was and it's damn well deserved, but at least there was competition

in 2017 there is no competition at all, Zelda was already the winner since launch day

anyway, the show is better than i expected, more reveals than i though, but it took too long, it was 3 hours long

Jaruru

and even if there was a competition, it would have been between Zelda and Mario, but the gap is huge, Zelda is much MUCH better than the rest

in 2016 awards most people agreed that Overwatch should be the winner but some people though Online only games don't win so they expected Uncharted 4, good thing the winner is Overwatch and it's well deserved

in 2015 the competition was between Witcher 3, MGS V and Bloodborne, most people agreed that Witcher 3 should be the winner and it was and it's damn well deserved, but at least there was competition

in 2017 there is no competition at all, Zelda was already the winner since launch day

anyway, the show is better than i expected, more reveals than i though, but it took too long, it was 3 hours long

agree on everything there. the show delivered more than expected, with many new announcement/premieres

Zelda won everything it's well deserved, with all the positive reviews around the world

RootCause

Yup, it's so damn late here. 💀

For Nintendo, I think you mean, right? Which is damn near absurd, I still can't believe Dragon Age Inquisition won over Bayo 2, that was a very low point for the Pope Awards. But what I meant is that it wasn't the first GOTY list this year right? I remember Time had one I believe. Regardless, there's 0 chance BOTW isn't going to win damn nearly everything. It's just a ridiculously well designed game.

For Nintendo in this particular event. I think.
And it really is absurd. They've had some amazing games that somehow got overlooked/ignored in previous years. And yes, BOTW should sweep most trophies up. It's that good. From the moment you get out of the cavern, you know it's going to be something special.

For Nintendo in this particular event. I think.
And it really is absurd. They've had some amazing games that somehow got overlooked/ignored in previous years. And yes, BOTW should sweep most trophies up. It's that good. From the moment you get out of the cavern, you know it's going to be something special.

Absolutely. Bayo 2 is the one I remember the most being angry about, because there's no way DA:I was a better game, there's just no way, there's no one on this very earth who can convince me of that.

And BOTW is insane. It made me feel like I was a kid playing OoT again. Everything about it is just brilliant.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Pretty obvious zelda BOTW won.
I sank 370+ hours in that game.
Mario gave me 60ish.

Cant wait for that dlc 😍

Valdega

The results are very suspicious if they were supposed to be based on community votes. If it was just a popularity contest, What Remains of Edith Finch wouldn't have won anything because the vast majority of voters haven't even heard of the game, let alone played it. Same goes for Nier and Persona 5. Wolfenstein wouldn't have won anything either, given the lackluster sales compared to games like Destiny 2.

This seems much more like games journalists awards. The vast majority of games journalists are console gamers, so PC-exclusives like Divinity, XCOM and Total War never really stood a chance. I didn't see the whole show but it looks like they didn't announce best multiplayer game? I'm not seeing it on the official website results. They might have realized that not choosing PUBG would cast some serious doubts on the award credibility, since PUBG is easily the most popular multiplayer game this year.

e0n

The results are very suspicious if they were supposed to be based on community votes. If it was just a popularity contest, What Remains of Edith Finch wouldn't have won anything because the vast majority of voters haven't even heard of the game, let alone played it. Same goes for Nier and Persona 5. Wolfenstein wouldn't have won anything either, given the lackluster sales compared to games like Destiny 2.

This seems much more like games journalists awards. The vast majority of games journalists are console gamers, so PC-exclusives like Divinity, XCOM and Total War never really stood a chance. I didn't see the whole show but it looks like they didn't announce best multiplayer game? I'm not seeing it on the official website results. They might have realized that not choosing PUBG would cast some serious doubts on the award credibility, since PUBG is easily the most popular multiplayer game this year.

It's 90% international jury, 10% fan vote if you read the FAQ/Rules.

Valdega

It's 90% international jury, 10% fan vote if you read the FAQ/Rules.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. That's pretty misleading considering how much they've been promoting community voting. I guess it's just another way to market the event.

Wonko_C

A friend now owes me some cash for betting on Mario as the GOTY. He thought it was going to win because it got the most high scores than anything else this year on Metacritic. (evil laugh)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Zelda is well deserved, the switch maybe small and less powerful but it has GOTY unlike ps4 and xbox.

yup

and TLOU 2 has GOTY 2019 locked down, even if it's a disappointment, it will still win GOTY due to how much people loved the first game

What other games are coming in 2019?

Maybe metroid could come in 2019 and steal it from tlou2

Kid Ying

Went here Just to see Zelda winning goty.

Wasn't disappointed. First japanese game since re4 too.

Thank god. Thought Horizon was going to win.

xviper

Zelda is well deserved, the switch maybe small and less powerful but it has GOTY unlike ps4 and xbox.

What other games are coming in 2019?

Maybe metroid could come in 2019 and steal it from tlou2
i don't know, i never played any Metroid game, but i don't think there is gonna be a more hyped game than TLOU 2 in 2019

2020 might be between Death Stranding and Cyberpunk 2077

Lucumo

I'm surprised this many people actually cared about the awards, considering it's just another US-centric show.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
The TGA 2017 proves one thing; judges don't know shit about fighting games and they are giving the award based on appeal.

It can be objectively verified that Injustass 2 won simply because it features a recognized franchise of characters. If ANYONE dares to even say the game is as balanced, is in mechanical terms, technically superior to Tekken 7, then you have zero logic. That's it, this is something that one simply cannot subjectively argue from the perspective of what is a good fighting game vs what is a fun casual fighter.

A fighting game that is based off equipment with unbalanced characters to begin with being a "good" fighting game is ridiculous as it sounds. Don't get me wrong, injustass 2 CAN be fun and the story it offers is indeed, pretty good.

But look at it from the perspective of a pure fighting game? Yup, the judges are morons on this - plain and simple.

Fbh

I think this is one of the first years where I agree with almost all of the winners

The TGA 2017 proves one thing; judges don't know shit about fighting games and they are giving the award based on appeal.

It can be objectively verified that Injustass 2 won simply because it features a recognized franchise of characters. If ANYONE dares to even say the game is as balanced, is in mechanical terms, technically superior to Tekken 7, then you have zero logic. That's it, this is something that one simply cannot subjectively argue from the perspective of what is a good fighting game vs what is a fun casual fighter.

A fighting game that is based off equipment with unbalanced characters to begin with being a "good" fighting game is ridiculous as it sounds. Don't get me wrong, injustass 2 CAN be fun and the story it offers is indeed, pretty good.

But look at it from the perspective of a pure fighting game? Yup, the judges are morons on this - plain and simple.

Where does it say that it's the award for best "pure fighting game"?
It's just called best fighting game and if this year a more casual fighter was the most fun then it deserves to win.

What you are saying is like saying that best racing game award should only be won by Racim sims with complex and realistic physics. As I see it, if Mario Kart is more fun than any racing sim then it deserves to win

ArmageddB

I figured Zelda would win, but I was hoping HZD could pull through. I enjoyed it just a little bit more than Zelda.

It had better visuals, combat, and story.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
I think this is one of the first years where I agree with almost all of the winners

Where does it say that it's the award for best "pure fighting game"?
It's just called best fighting game and if this year a more casual fighter was the most fun then it deserves to win.

What you are saying is like saying that best racing game award should only be won by Racim sims with complex and realistic physics. As I see it, if Mario Kart is more fun than any racing sim then it deserves to win

The description for the Fighting game award and I quote: "For the best game designed primarily around head-to-head combat"

Tell me, what does that mean.

As for racing game, that award was a 2 category award and the description clearly says: "For the best traditional and non-traditional sports and racing game."

The description there is correct pertaining to the game that won - Forza 7, which everyone knows is not a pure sim racer. I agree with that because that's what the category is about, it can either be a traditional racer (GTSport) or it can be a non-traditional racer (Forza 7).

Now you compare that description to the fighting game award, then it makes no sense because it says best game designed PRIMARILY around combat. Keywords - PRIMARY around COMBAT.

Dunki

Automata did win best OST, and it got dicey there with Cuphead and Persona 5. But we just don't deserve Taro.

That is what happens when you let "game journalists" vote while the gamer only made 10% of the decision. GOTY should be 100% gamer votes imo.

Nope, BOTW was a better game. :3
It really wasn't, but these are essentially the Teen's Choice Awards of gaming so ultimately it doesn't matter. Remember Dragon Age Inquisition?
That said, the show was an enjoyable watch this year. With the exception of that drunk No Way Out guy. Just embarrassing.

Top Bottom