• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gaming Age World Boxing Association (a.k.a. Fight Night Round 2) Thread

OK man, I'll let you know whats up. Still unsure about my schedule, but we should play again soon.

He's coming for you!

listonpic.jpeg

Shadax

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:
OK man, I'll let you know whats up. Still unsure about my schedule, but we should play again soon.

He's coming for you!

listonpic.jpeg

Pfft, he looks like a lame Mace Windu wannabe!

Smokin Joe is comin for ya!

alifra.jpg

frazier15.jpg

Seriously, I wonder who would have won a prime fight between Liston and Frazier. I think it would have been epic.

On one hand you have Liston, who time has unfairly forgotten. Killer jab, he could KO his opponent with it. Devastating left hook. Iron chin, watch his fights with another heavy hitter Cleavland Williams to see it. People don't remember the quality of Liston, they only think of him going down rather easily against Ali in his second fight. Liston was the kind of guy who could make cowards out of the toughest men in the gym. I've heard stories of him leveling groups of cops armed with clubs, making the biggest and toughest guys in the gym crap their pants with body shots. Hell, even Foreman said Liston could take whatever he threw at him in sparring. He was one tough hombre.

I thnk I'd go with Frazier though. He was tougher mentally then Liston, and although its tempting to say Liston pulls a Foreman on Smoking Joe...I see him bulling his way past Listons jab and just imposing his will on him like he did with guys like Holmes during sparring sessions. While Holmes didn't have the power of Liston, his jab was excellent and Frazier broke his ribs in training. True, its just training...but Joe was the man. Heart like Holyfield, punch like Tyson (At least his left was).

Ah well, we'll have to figure out through the game...:D

Shadax

Banned
It's interesting, the website that I got the b&w Ali Frazier pic from had some decent writeups on the fights with Ali-Liston, Ali-Foreman and Ali-Frazier. I wish there was a way to see a real-life fight between Marciano and Ali or Frazier. Hell, I just wish boxing today had better talent and larger-than-life personalities, real men you can call champions.

So do I, man. I watch the new fighters, and yes...some are good and strong, but in boxing I don't get inspired by the fighters of today, at least not the heavyweights.

Top Bottom