• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE SummerSlam 2017 |OT| We Will Heel

shaowebb

Nakamura denied to continue to push a champion that no one finds good enough to want to see. This isn't normal "I dont wanna see him win" heat for a heel this is "This guy doesn't deserve the slot he's handed" heat and Vince can't tell the difference and never can.

Least this doesn't bury Nakamura, but for a guy who went undefeated in NJPW forever its bullshit to see him having to put over shit shows like Mahal in WWE. Least Corbin put the last nail in his career vs Cena so maybe we can stop fucking having to see his bloated balding boring ass soon.

fhqwhgads

It says a lot about quality when the best match of the night was on the goddamn pre show.
Main Event would've been the best if not for the shit finish/winner.
Raw tag match was amazing aside from Ambrose going Supercena by the end.
Women's matches were okay but compared to Asuka/Ember they were awful.
Everything else was either uneventful or straight up awful.
Of all the titles to change hands, they should've pulled the trigger on Nakamura and Strowman/Joe.
Deadbeat dad Brock continues to cement WWE's obsession with nostalgia pops.
Jinder simply isn't getting better and winning 4 world title matches in the exact same way is just horrible booking.

Sasha once again shows how just unprofessional and just a big mark for herself she really is

let me start by saying I used to be a big fan of her but since this fued with alexa she just became awful.

First of all during their first match after the big spot in the end and after the bell rang she just kicked alexa for no reason whatsoever , u can clearly see that in the way alexa reacted.

Moving on to last nights match once again sasha shows how unprofessional she is after alexa taps out by giving her a punch in the head , cant really do gifs but for someone who knows please make one...

just get a grip on your own ego sasha

Did it bring back bad memories of when you got wiped out against Man City that time brother?

Heroman

Banned
Sasha once again shows how just unprofessional and just a big mark for herself she really is

let me start by saying I used to be a big fan of her but since this fued with alexa she just became awful.

First of all during their first match after the big spot in the end and after the bell rang she just kicked alexa for no reason whatsoever , u can clearly see that in the way alexa reacted.

Moving on to last nights match once again sasha shows how unprofessional she is after alexa taps out by giving her a punch in the head , cant really do gifs but for someone who knows please make one...

just get a grip on your own ego sasha
What is this?

bill0527

Lol at MAhal going over Nakamura.

Apparently he's now taken Reigns spot as Vince's personal pet project.

And holy shit at Braun Strowman. That guy is a fucking star.

MC Safety

I like Jinder Mahal as a bad guy. He's probably even a good champion.

But he's in no way as charismatic as Nakamura. And I think Nakamura deserves a nice, long run with the belt, either on Smackdown or Raw.

Summer Slam should have been pared down, too. Six hours all told is probably three hours too much.

jmdajr

5e9a6181_o.png

kiguel182

I was watching this and when I got to the promo to Balor v Wyatt I asked myself: “why am I watching this?”. I skipped to Styles/Owens but my internet crapped out and I have no interest in going back. I just read the results.

Apparently the main event was good but not sure I’ll bring myself to watch it.

I just have no excitement for this.

Edit: Being so long doesn’t help. Wrestling shows shouldn’t be 5 hours.

Mahonay

Banned
I like Jinder Mahal as a bad guy. He's probably even a good champion.

But he's in no way as charismatic as Nakamura. And I think Nakamura deserves a nice, long run with the belt, either on Smackdown or Raw.

Summer Slam should have been pared down, too. Six hours all told is probably three hours too much.
Main primary issue with Jinder is his total lack of charisma. He has the look, but it stops there. He also gives THE SAME EXACT PROMO at all times. It never changes.

The Bollywood Boyz with a guy who could talk and play off them could have been really great actually.

Kusagari

Main primary issue with Jinder is his total lack of charisma. He has the look, but it stops there. He also gives THE SAME EXACT PROMO at all times. It never changes.

The Bollywood Boyz with a guy who could talk and play off them could have been really great actually.

The promo thing is not his fault. Vince goes out of his way to specifically write Jinder's promos.

I really think a lot of the problem with Jinder is that he's become Vince's personal pet project and it's not doing him any favors.

OnPoint

That was the first Jinder match I've ever watched. He definitely has the look, but I wasn't impressed with his actual action in the ring. He did a lot of nothing. I'm not sure if that was just who he was working with or if he just doesn't have an arsenal, but I wasn't impressed.

Mahonay

Banned
The promo thing is not his fault. Vince goes out of his way to specifically write Jinder's promos.

I really think a lot of the problem with Jinder is that he's become Vince's personal pet project and it's not doing him any favors.
His finisher is pretty balls too.

Lothars

That was the first Jinder match I've ever watched. He definitely has the look, but I wasn't impressed with his actual action in the ring. He did a lot of nothing. I'm not sure if that was just who he was working with or if he just doesn't have an arsenal, but I wasn't impressed.
to me the big issue with any Jinder ppv match is they end the same way with the outside interference leading to him winning. He can't win on his own and it's extremely boring.

Burai

shitonmychest57
If Shawn Michaels died today, the last memory we'd have of him is dressed as Colonel Sanders dancing on a table during a pre-show.

img_0118hfsi8.gif

Standouts for me was smackdown women's championship match, seth & dean winning and the main event.

Everything else was either ok or pretty damn meh. Also ended up skipping cena/corbin & cass/show because fuck that.

Also it's been mentioned to death i'm sure but wtf is with wwe and kfc? When I wanted a HBK comeback for one last time, that was not what I had in mind! 😥

I'm baffled by people who think Nakamura in charasmatic in the WWE. Maybe in Japan but I don't see the crowd getting behind him. That should have been a Slam Dunk against the void of Jinder.

I've been thinking about this, and probably over thinking about this, but is it possible that the old timey wrestling foundtation of "heels vs faces" is gone, and the WWE is now really about "Wrestlers creative likes" vs "Wrestlers the fans like but creative doesn't give a fuck about"? Is there any way a competent creative team could take advantage of this and create the new era of WWE around it somehow? Like have the corporation basically be back, only it's the actual corporation and not some cartoony "Mr. McMahon/HHH/Steph" interpretation?

Draxal

I've been thinking about this, and probably over thinking about this, but is it possible that the old timey wrestling foundtation of "heels vs faces" is gone, and the WWE is now really about "Wrestlers creative likes" vs "Wrestlers the fans like but creative doesn't give a fuck about"? Is there any way a competent creative team could take advantage of this and create the new era of WWE around it somehow? Like have the corporation basically be back, only it's the actual corporation and not some cartoony "Mr. McMahon/HHH/Steph" interpretation?

Faces/Heels work in NXT, they're just much quicker at adapting to fan reactions.

Faces/Heels work in NXT, they're just much quicker at adapting to fan reactions.

Im starting to wonder if the issue for the main roster is that the diehard fans feel so burned by creative that they are going to go against anything they try to push. There is no trust there. Like at some point if they start pushing Nakamura hard eventually fans will turn on him too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's pretty much kayfabe now that the WWE itself is a heel. That's why guys like Bryan and Punk get so over as faces.

Draxal

Anti Authority always works, look at Naito and Kidani.

Alot of WWE's problems is Vince, NXT was booked 10 times better even if I wasn't a huge fan of that Asuka/Ember finish.

I'm a WWE shill, but man yesterday's show sucked.

pbayne

Anti Authority always works, look at Naito and Kidani.

Alot of WWE's problems is Vince, NXT was booked 10 times better even if I wasn't a huge fan of that Asuka/Ember finish.

I'm a WWE shill, but man yesterday's show sucked.

God no. Even if the fans had someone good to rally behind, The last thing wwe needs is more authority figures.
Fucking scrap the gms and all that bullshit. Just have a bland businessman like Jack tunney that makes matchs, thats enough.

God no. Even if the fans had someone good to rally behind, The last thing wwe needs is more authority figures.
Fucking scrap the gms and all that bullshit. Just have a bland businessman like Jack tunney that makes matchs, thats enough.

This is the side I've always been on. The more WWE tries to pass their shows off as "legitimate sports" the worse they get, and it just makes the mental gymnastics they go through to justify the blatant fuckery inherent in pro wrestling look even stupider.

HeavenlyE

Standouts for me was smackdown women's championship match, seth & dean winning and the main event.

Everything else was either ok or pretty damn meh. Also ended up skipping cena/corbin & cass/show because fuck that.

Also it's been mentioned to death i'm sure but wtf is with wwe and kfc? When I wanted a HBK comeback for one last time, that was not what I had in mind! 😥
Did you miss the New Day/Usos tag match? it was MOTN for me

Soon we will welcome Kayfabe 2.0

Start leveraging backstage stories, get into fake arguments and fake heat with the boys/girls so it gets passed on to the Big Dick Dave and the dirty sheets to add another layer of working marks.

MC Safety

I'm baffled by people who think Nakamura in charasmatic in the WWE. Maybe in Japan but I don't see the crowd getting behind him. That should have been a Slam Dunk against the void of Jinder.

Not everyone has seen Nakamura in Japan. Maybe he's an entirely different guy there, maybe not.

In WWE, he's all weird and jerkey and has this certain charm. I'm not about to define charisma and what it means in terms of pro wrestlers, but I think guys like Nakamura, Cena, Jericho, Lensar, etc., have a basic ability to capture a crowd whereas people like Natalya, Jason Jordan, etc., don't.

sora87

Jinder with the same boring fuckery finish to continue his boring title run that no one wants to see because it's boring. Jeeeeeez

At some point you have to wonder who this is for. I get that kids, girls and even some dudes like Cena, Ambrose and Reigns, but who the fuck is Jinder for? Or Corbin? Or Big Cass? They're purposeless.

All I can tell from those two last gifs is that WWE camerawork sucks so bad

I hate the WWE camera. Fucking hate it. You miss everything because they try to build artificial suspense.

Seeing a pin get broken up by a guy who just appears in the shot is not suspenseful, it's disruptive. The suspense is from seeing the guy book it from the outside to try to get in and break it up.

The jerks and zoom ins and "IMPACT" cameras (e.g., the camera shaking whever there's a big move, as if the ground just shook), ruins the moments because you can't see the move. So many iconic wrestling moments would be ruined if they used this type of camera work/producing in the 1980s and 90s, and even 2000s.

Hogan slamming andre would have had a hard cut in it and then the cam would have shook, ruining the shot. Macho Man's elbow would zoom in on him and then cut right as he's going to make impact so you'd never see him fly through the air. Snuka (murderer) on top of the cage jumping off with the frog splash would have cut and you'd miss the move. Even a recent event like the ring breaking stung with Lesnar/Big Show, today they woudl have the camera like jerk so violently you'd miss the whole thing.

At some point you have to wonder who this is for. I get that kids, girls and even some dudes like Cena, Ambrose and Reigns, but who the fuck is Jinder for? Or Corbin? Or Big Cass? They're purposeless.

Juicy J is for India, Big Ass and Big Banter are to fulfill Vince's tall man fetish.

Cosmozone

About that burying of Corbin and Rusev, I'm getting a very bad feeling that they're building the likes of Cena and Orton for future nostalgia acts at Wrestlemania. Which would be the worst thing ever.

norm9

Looking forward to Miz and the Miztourage tonight unleashing venom at Angle for the opening pre-show empty arena booking. But hope it doesn't continue the boring JJ versus Miztourage story.

DeathyBoy

Banned
About that burying of Corbin and Rusev, I'm getting a very bad feeling that they're building the likes of Cena and Orton for future nostalgia acts at Wrestlemania. Which would be the worst thing ever.

The RKO is one of the few protected WWE moves. He hits it, match is usually done. So it's not an obvious burial to me.

Truth is they probably fucked up match times again. And Orton doesn't really care what he does at this point. How you fuck up timing on a four hour show tho...

UberTag

This product is only for one person. Vince McMahon. I thought we all understood this.
It's not FOR anyone else... with the occasional exception of WWE's shareholders and sponsors.

Vince loves his part timers, Brock retains WTF...Raw needs a weekly fighting Champ...
Apparently that's The Miz.

Top Bottom