• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

I mean, I'd say in today's society even in the best case scenarios we haven't eliminated bigotry or prejudice, we just shifted targets, so I can totally see us having racial harmony in a few hundred years but having transferred that distrust to aliens (if they're out there...)

Yeah true, a very topical episode, which is just sad I guess.

So I finally finished enterprise...that was an interesting episode.

It was cool to see Riker and Troi again and a decent way to end the series with the ceremony about the alliance. Sucks about Trip too oh and the ending with all three enterprises was awesome, almost gave me chills.

Fuchsdh

Yeah true, a very topical episode, which is just sad I guess.

So I finally finished enterprise...that was an interesting episode.

It was cool to see Riker and Troi again and a decent way to end the series with the ceremony about the alliance. Sucks about Trip too oh and the ending with all three enterprises was awesome, almost gave me chills.

Which is why the JJ Trek movies would run that ending into the ground by using it every damn time :p

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I've been avoiding it for a long time, because I am an eternal optimist. But I think I should take a deep breath and dive right in. Maybe I'll feel better afterward. Maybe I'll feel worse.

We need to talk about what will happen to Star Trek if Discovery is a complete bust.

The production cycle for this show doesn't exactly sound like it's been an easy ride. All around the net, it feels like this once-hyped series has already become a total joke. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding. Despite the showrunner sidestep, despite the repeated delays, Discovery could surprise the world and be terrific. But the amount of enthusiasm I've found among my fellow fans is bordering on the nonexistent.

So, worst case scenario. It's a disaster told in 13 chapters. It's so bad there's no second-season renewal. CBS has dropped tens upon tens of millions on it or more. The whole planet flinches and goes to Warp 10 to escape it.

How long 'til Star Trek gets another shot at the small screen? Five years? Another twelve? Twenty? What sort of show would that be? How, if at all, would this influence the already-unknowable future of Paramount's Star Trek film franchise? I don't believe for a second Discovery's failure would be a final nail in the coffin, not truly. Tie-in novels and comics still have their dedicated fanbase. The five existing shows still stream at profitable numbers on Netflix and elsewhere. Star Trek: The Next Generation will probably still be airing reruns in 2037.

But it'll hurt. I don't want that to happen. I've waited twelve frakking years for this. But it's a real possibility, I think, and I guess it's time to steel myself. Just in case.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I've been avoiding it for a long time, because I am an eternal optimist. But I think I should take a deep breath and dive right in. Maybe I'll feel better afterward. Maybe I'll feel worse.

We need to talk about what will happen to Star Trek if Discovery is a complete bust.

The production cycle for this show doesn't exactly sound like it's been an easy ride. All around the net, it feels like this once-hyped series has already become a total joke. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding. Despite the showrunner sidestep, despite the repeated delays, Discovery could surprise the world and be terrific. But the amount of enthusiasm I've found among my fellow fans is bordering on the nonexistent.

So, worst case scenario. It's a disaster told in 13 chapters. It's so bad there's no second-season renewal. CBS has dropped tens upon tens of millions on it or more. The whole planet flinches and goes to Warp 10 to escape it.

How long 'til Star Trek gets another shot at the small screen? Five years? Another twelve? Twenty? What sort of show would that be? How, if at all, would this influence the already-unknowable future of Paramount's Star Trek film franchise? I don't believe for a second Discovery's failure would be a final nail in the coffin, not truly. Tie-in novels and comics still have their dedicated fanbase. The five existing shows still stream at profitable numbers on Netflix and elsewhere. Star Trek: The Next Generation will probably still be airing reruns in 2037.

But it'll hurt. I don't want that to happen. I've waited twelve frakking years for this. But it's a real possibility, I think, and I guess it's time to steel myself. Just in case.
I mean, this show only exists because of CBS All Access. I assume that they'll want to keep it going unless there's something else in the pipeline that they can throw out there that I haven't heard of (I assume The Good Fight will last for 10 seasons for the same reason).

Maybe if they give up on the platform, or if the show bombs so hard that somehow people decided to unsubscribe from the service out of disgust, they'll can it? lol

If it does get cancelled, then I just assume TV Trek is dead. There's no other viable place to put it, unless they do the CW version of Trek and have it be about young sexy cadets in love triangles (and fucking professors) at Starfleet Academy.
(I would probably watch Star Trek: Riverdale :p)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I'm not sure we do. Set aside that I don't really see anything remarkable about the show's production (showrunner departures happen in probably about 30% of all shows and an even higher rate of shows with long production times, and Bryan Fuller especially flounces on every show he creates; delays stem from premature announcement rather than any real production hurdles. Actually, I think most of the delays so far have happened before they've shot a frame of film) and don't think it'll be bad...

It's also like -- so what? This isn't a nuclear apocalypse, you can't prepare yourself for any eventuality. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it'll be bad, maybe it'll do well, maybe it won't, maybe it'll revitalize the franchise, maybe it'll kill it. What can you or I do about it?

I suspect it won't kill it given that TOS Season 3, The Animated Series, Final Frontier, Nemesis, Voyager, and Enterprise didn't kill the franchise and networks are even more shackled to existing IP today.

Given the international licensing on Netflix, I think it would be virtually impossible for the show not to get a second season. Second seasons amortize costs anyway, even a marginal flop should get a second season to recoup those costs.

Given the international licensing on Netflix, I think it would be virtually impossible for the show not to get a second season. Second seasons amortize costs anyway, even a marginal flop should get a second season to recoup those costs.

Isn't Discovery (still?) an anthology series? That would affect the latter a bit, I would think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't Discovery (still?) an anthology series? That would affect the latter a bit, I would think.
Yeah, I'm assuming there's going to be a costly start up costs unless they find a reason to keep reusing the sets and the alien designs... in which case, why even make it an anthology series?

I had this idea years ago about a Trek series that, admittedly, was pretty much Alias. Female Starfleet Intelligence operative doing spy things, post-Voyager setting, references to the Dominion War, some Section 31 things, cameos from TNG-DS9-Voyager characters, lots of Romulans.

If Discovery doesn't work out, maybe I'll pitch it to Les Moonves.

I mean, this show only exists because of CBS All Access. I assume that they'll want to keep it going unless there's something else in the pipeline that they can throw out there that I haven't heard of (I assume The Good Fight will last for 10 seasons for the same reason).

Maybe if they give up on the platform, or if the show bombs so hard that somehow people decided to unsubscribe from the service out of disgust, they'll can it? lol
Weren't there reports that Netflix was interested in a Star Trek show? Before we learned CBS wanted to use it for their streaming service (and Netflix got it worldwide anyway). So even if the CBS streaming reason for existing is gone, there are other possibilities. Of course, if the well is poisoned by a disastrous Discovery that might no longer be the case in the immediate future.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's also like -- so what? This isn't a nuclear apocalypse, you can't prepare yourself for any eventuality. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it'll be bad, maybe it'll do well, maybe it won't, maybe it'll revitalize the franchise, maybe it'll kill it. What can you or I do about it?

Well, we can hypothesize. This is the only franchise I'm so damn adamant about that I'd ever speak in such exaggeratory tones, but I am just that into it, so I I talk in those terms. If it kills Trek, I'll be awfully sad for a while. I guess I'm steeling myself for that, just in case.

And while I actually agree with you that the production fiasco likely isn't as dreadful as the net-at-large seems to believe, at this point in time Discovery really is a joke everywhere I turn. It's a bit demoralizing, really.

I know this ain't World War II or anything. Folks aren't gonna live or die based on the performance and quality of a fictional television series. But I still felt like chatting about it! :p

I suspect it won't kill it given that TOS Season 3, The Animated Series, Final Frontier, Nemesis, Voyager, and Enterprise didn't kill the franchise and networks are even more shackled to existing IP today.

Fair point.

Quite so. Although, I'm far more Nielsen-attuned than I am with the logistics of streaming packages, and I confess I'm a bit murky on the details of this Netflix licensing deal. I understand the terms of the original agreement, or at least, I think I do, but will Netflix continue to assist in the costs of the show's production after its initial 13-episode run?

Someone mentioned it in another thread, but it's interesting they changed the character Latif was originally slated to play. He was gonna be Kol. Now he's this Lieutenant Tyler fellow and someone else is playing Kor. Can't really fault mainstream sites like TVGuide for not catching on to that, of course.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well I can certainly agree with and understand an unhealthy lifelong emotional attachment to Star Trek, because I've had one too hahaha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not an anthology.
Yeah lol
I guess I forgot all about those stories where Fuller said it wasn't an anthology.

Weren't there reports that Netflix was interested in a Star Trek show? Before we learned CBS wanted to use it for their streaming service (and Netflix got it worldwide anyway). So even if the CBS streaming reason for existing is gone, there are other possibilities. Of course, if the well is poisoned by a disastrous Discovery that might no longer be the case in the immediate future.
Well, CBS All Access is probably not going anywhere... and I guess it depends if they will continue to try to juice the numbers for it with original programming. The Good Fight got renewed, although I'm assuming they probably have lower expectations for that than they do for a Star Trek show (but again, what are expectations in the realm of an exclusive streaming service for the US only?).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well I can certainly agree with and understand an unhealthy lifelong emotional attachment to Star Trek, because I've had one too hahaha.

Oh good, I'm not alone. xD

Also, I just reached "The Mind's Eye" in my TNG/DS9/VOY chronological rewatch shindig. And, uh. Whoa. I didn't recall this episode being that good. Remarkably tense thriller-Trek. One of my TNG favorites now, I think.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I will stubbornly remain cautiously optimistic until I, too, am being flung into that dying star this fall on CBS All Access. Once more unto the breach!

tumblr_oit0j9xVit1qj6sk2o1_400.gif

pls be good

Started Voyager, about 10 episodes in. I like Janeway so far, she seems like an actual Captain unlike Archer for the first two seasons.

After watching TOS/Enterprise I'm glad to be back in the TNG era timeline.

Shame Discovery has to take place in the past again

Also I watched Final Frontier this weekend, definitely the lesser of the TOS movies but I still have to watch Undiscovered Country which I'll do this weekend.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Started Voyager, about 10 episodes in. I like Janeway so far, she seems like an actual Captain unlike Archer for the first two seasons.

After watching TOS/Enterprise I'm glad to be back in the TNG era timeline.

Shame Discovery has to take place in the past again

Also I watched Final Frontier this weekend, definitely the lesser of the TOS movies but I still have to watch Undiscovered Country which I'll do this weekend.

Voyager's first season is better than I think folks tend to give it credit for, but a large chunk of its second season is really rough. Get past that and if you're still digging this crew you'll be in for a lot of wonderful stuff in 3-7 (and a lot of bad stuff, too, but hey).

The Undiscovered Country remains my favorite Trek flick. It's super-great. If you enjoy DS9's more political vibe, and you like the TOS crew and Klingons at least an okay amount, I think you'll be in for a treat.

Voyager's first season is better than I think folks tend to give it credit for, but a large chunk of its second season is really rough. Get past that and if you're still digging this crew you'll be in for a lot of wonderful stuff in 3-7 (and a lot of bad stuff, too, but hey).

The Undiscovered Country remains my favorite Trek flick. It's super-great. If you enjoy DS9's more political vibe, and you like the TOS crew and Klingons at least an okay amount, I think you'll be in for a treat.

That sounds great actually, I think we have too much klingons already but they don't annoy me to the point where I don't enjoy ST because of them.

I'm glad Voyager only has a half klingon,

I'm surprised they didn't use Dr. Bashir as the Doctor, but I guess the timeline didn't match up.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The timeline sort of syncs, since Seasons 1 through 5 of VOY occur during years in which DS9 is on the air. The two stories occur simultaneously as a result, similar to how TNG Seasons 6 and 7 ran alongside DS9's first two years.

The trouble with having Alexander Siddig play The Doctor on VOY is that the man would never have gotten any sleep. Voyager's Doctor character becomes fairly prominent, as is DS9's Bashir, haha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Undiscovered Country is likely my favorite Trek movie. It goes between that and Wrath of Khan. I think Khan might have higher highs but I might like the total package of VI more.

Fuchsdh

Undiscovered Country is likely my favorite Trek movie. It goes between that and Wrath of Khan. I think Khan might have higher highs but I might like the total package of VI more.

I think II is a much better film, but I have a lot less niggling "wait why" CinemaSins-style quibbles with STVI. Like with STII though the directors cut adds some nice bits that it sucks the theatrical cut loses. I didn't realize that Colonel West doesn't appear *at all* in the original.

The timeline sort of syncs, since Seasons 1 through 5 of VOY occur during years in which DS9 is on the air. The two stories occur simultaneously as a result, similar to how TNG Seasons 6 and 7 ran alongside DS9's first two years.

The trouble with having Alexander Siddig play The Doctor on VOY is that the man would never have gotten any sleep. Voyager's Doctor character becomes fairly prominent, as is DS9's Bashir, haha.

Oh I meant that the episode "Dr Bashier, I presume" happened after Voyager was lost, so it would have made no sense for Bashier to have been the Dr. on Voyager. And I was thinking he'd switch from DS9 to Voyager like Miles did from TNG to DS9 but I guess they'd have to explain his absence in DS9 since he was a major character unlike Miles.

Well now I'm really looking forward to Undiscovered Country, it and Generations are the only two ST movies I have yet to see.

One was a submarine movie and the other a Cold War Clancy novel. As someone who was just old enough to kind of understand the Cold War messaging - I have to agree with you.

The Shakespeare Klingons were just too much.

It was really only Chang who seemed to be Shakespear obsessed. Others would sometimes take his lead when he brought it up. Everyone else was all "Our culture is going to die. The federation is a Homosapiens only club. Etc etc"

I loved the dinner scene.

Just finished UC...yeah the Shakespeare stuff was interesting lol

Chang quoting him throughout the final battle was hilarious.

Also have Klingons always had pink blood?

And Colonel Worf?

Also bunk beds on the Excelsior? I don't think I've seen a star ship with bunk beds before.

Oh and that Homo-sapiens line didn't make sense though...that would be "Humans" only which isn't the case..unless I missed the part where all aliens are considered Homo-sapiens...but I understood what they were trying to get across

The movie was pretty good, not sure where I'd rank it among the TOS movies the ending was pretty great (sad) though, did they know this would be the final TOS movie?

It's definitely the best looking of the TOS movies but that's obviously because it's the last one.

I thought they changed the bridge too but it seems they just went with dark lighting.

teiresias

Just finished UC...yeah the Shakespeare stuff was interesting lol

Chang quoting him throughout the final battle was hilarious.

Also have Klingons always had pink blood?

And Colonel Worf?

Also bunk beds on the Excelsior? I don't think I've seen a star ship with bunk beds before.

Oh and that Homo-sapiens line didn't make sense though...that would be "Humans" only which isn't the case..unless I missed the part where all aliens are considered Homo-sapiens...but I understood what they were trying to get across

The movie was pretty good, not sure where I'd rank it among the TOS movies the ending was pretty great (sad) though, did they know this would be the final TOS movie?

It's definitely the best looking of the TOS movies but that's obviously because it's the last one.

I thought they changed the bridge too but it seems they just went with dark lighting.

No idea about the blood. I think I remember the publicity at the time talking about the pink blood, so I'm thinking it was established there (though I honestly don't think they ever bothered with pink blood whenever we saw a Klingon bloodied on any TNG-era show).

Colonel Worf was supposed to have been Worf's grandfather I believe. Incidentally, I've never seen it confirmed but Michael Dorn has got to be the actor that's appeared in more hours (or at least episodes) of Star Trek than anyone else between TNG and DS9, right?

I'm fairly certain we'd seen bunk beds earlier in TOS-era Trek since lower ranking officers shared quarters and no one had families aboard ship. Even in TNG-era trek it's established that junior officers would share quarters on starships, though I don't know how that would work for a junior officer with a family on a ship like the Enterprise that carried families. Quarters in "Enterprise" also had bunk beds.

Yes, they knew it was going to be the last TOS movie. I also like how the film has a musical feel all to its own and really think the score is amazing. The fanfare over the signatures at the and is crazy amazing.

Cheerilee

George Takei was pitching an Excelsior spinoff TV series, but Paramount decided we would rather watch the adventures of Captain Archer.

Pluto

George Takei was pitching an Excelsior spinoff TV series, but Paramount decided we would rather watch the adventures of Captain Archer.
They weren't wrong to dismiss the Captain Sulu idea. George Takei is not a very good actor and it's always a bit weird to pitch a series with yourself as the lead. When someone walks in and says "What about a show starring me?!" I'd be surprised if they actually thought it was the best choice for the franchise.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pink Blood is entirely a ploy to get the MPAA rating down. It's red on episodes of Next Generation filmed before and after the movie and all throughout DS9.

Colonel Worf was supposed to have been Worf's grandfather I believe. Incidentally, I've never seen it confirmed but Michael Dorn has got to be the actor that's appeared in more hours (or at least episodes) of Star Trek than anyone else between TNG and DS9, right?
Yeah, thanks to notable roles on TNG and DS9 Michael Dorn and Colm Meaney are easily in more episodes than anyone else. Well, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry is up there if her voice role as the standard Federation computer counts.

Hmmm not sure which I'd prefer, season 3 of Enterprise (and 4 to a lesser extent) were really good. Without Kirk, Spock and McCoy in regular roles I'm not sure it would have been very good.

No idea about the blood. I think I remember the publicity at the time talking about the pink blood, so I'm thinking it was established there (though I honestly don't think they ever bothered with pink blood whenever we saw a Klingon bloodied on any TNG-era show).

I'm fairly certain we'd seen bunk beds earlier in TOS-era Trek since lower ranking officers shared quarters and no one had families aboard ship. Even in TNG-era trek it's established that junior officers would share quarters on starships, though I don't know how that would work for a junior officer with a family on a ship like the Enterprise that carried families. Quarters in "Enterprise" also had bunk beds.

Yes, they knew it was going to be the last TOS movie. I also like how the film has a musical feel all to its own and really think the score is amazing. The fanfare over the signatures at the and is crazy amazing.

Ah that's interesting, I don't recall the bunk beds in other shows but it does make sense, it just stood out to me for some reason.

Yeah I was about to turn off the movie until I saw the signatures and heard the music I left it on through the credits lol the endings for Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country are excellent.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
To the world's shock and awe, Robert Beltran... didn't...
actually... *completely* diss Star Trek: Voyager in his latest interview.

Here's some. More at the link, including some talk on his latest production, The Circuit.

Speaking of directing, was that something you ever pursued on Voyager? I know a lot of the other cast members spent time behind the camera.

At one point I was kind of interested until I realized what it would entail. I liked going to the meetings and working with the editors, you learn a lot from seeing how the editors worked. Then I realized I wasn't that interested in directing an episode because it is very time-consuming for at least a couple of months where you are going to work doing your acting job and then also doing the editing on the episode you directed. I decided I wanted to take full advantage of the time that I had free.

But, you weren't shy about pitching ideas to writers and producers, like with ”The Fight." I understand that one started with you?

Actually the boxing episode, there was Ken [Biller], Brannon [Braga] and Joe [Menosky], we were having dinner and they were asking me what I would like to do and with holodeck with Chakotay. And I gave them some ideas and they said, ”Nah, nah, we already did this or that on Next Generation." And then they said, ”What about a boxing episode?" And I said, ”I like boxing, OK, let's do that. Just give me about two months heads up so I can get in really good shape, so I can look like a real boxer." And they said ”Okay, we will do that." But then one day I get a call saying they were doing the boxing episode the next week. [laughs] It was an episode I really liked, but I didn't feel the bare-chested thing would be a smart thing to do because I was in good shape, but not boxing shape. Those guys are in incredible shape. I was working with former World Champ Carlos Palomino who I had seen box and was a great fan of, a Mexican fighter. His body and mine were a little different. [laughs]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They weren't wrong to dismiss the Captain Sulu idea. George Takei is not a very good actor and it's always a bit weird to pitch a series with yourself as the lead. When someone walks in and says "What about a show starring me?!" I'd be surprised if they actually thought it was the best choice for the franchise.
I keep forgetting... did this start happening after the Voyager episode? Honestly I thought the Voyager episode was fine, and the missing time between TOS and TNG is perhaps a much more interesting era than all the prequel stuff that we're just obsessed with now.

One was a submarine movie and the other a Cold War Clancy novel. As someone who was just old enough to kind of understand the Cold War messaging - I have to agree with you.

It was really only Chang who seemed to be Shakespear obsessed. Others would sometimes take his lead when he brought it up. Everyone else was all "Our culture is going to die. The federation is a Homosapiens only club. Etc etc"

I loved the dinner scene.
I always assumed that Plummer just wanted to do Shakespeare so they wrote that stuff in. lol
I just found it silly in subsequent rewatches... but he's better than the ST3 Klingon I suppose.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Very interesting stuff happens in between the end of the movies and the beginning of TNG.

The Klingons make peace and then ally with the Federation. The Romulan Star Empire cuts off all contact. We get all those funky ass post Excelsior ship designs. The uniforms change! Replicators become a big deal. Dilithium becomes much more common.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hell, the Federation losing the Enterprise-C, which I assume was also the flagship at the time, defending a Klingon colony would make for an interesting story if you wanted to do all the politics stuff.

Cheerilee

I keep forgetting... did this start happening after the Voyager episode? Honestly I thought the Voyager episode was fine, and the missing time between TOS and TNG is perhaps a much more interesting era than all the prequel stuff that we're just obsessed with now.
IIRC, Takei was pushing for an Excelsior spinoff immediately after Star Trek VI.

The Voyager flashback episode was primarily made because the executives wanted to celebrate Star Trek's anniversary with some TOS fanservice, but it was helped along by the fact that they already knew this idea was something that Takei would be receptive to. Takei was hoping that the episode would be a backdoor pilot, kickstarting something into motion, but that never happened.

Then Voyager fizzled, and the executives were thinking that they needed to step away from the TNG universe, and Takei was like "Hello? Over here! Excelsior spinoff?"

And then the executives muttered "Maybe go back in time from TNG? We can find an out-of-work sci-fi veteran to anchor a group of no-name newcomers." and Takei was all "Hey! That's me! Over here! Can't you see me waving?"

And then they made Enterprise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For Takei, it certainly has been a long road getting from here to there. I guess he was lucky to escape the stench of Enterprise at least. Imagine if he was the star of the show that tanked the franchise as a whole?

It's like he thinks the entire concept of Star Trek isn't interesting.

Also lol at this

There really was never any romance. Janeway never took Chakotay seriously. They had Chakotay doing some things that indicated he was interested in her. Like that one episode where we were stuck on that planet, but it was just her and I, so it was either Janeway or a monkey.

So I'm sitting here watching a random episode of Voyager while I eat lunch and I want to complain about something that's always bugged me: They have transporters, warp, etc. but they still send data to each other by putting it on data pads and walking it around the ship. No WiFi in the future?

I know it's a storytelling convention and so on, just irks me a tiny bit.

So I'm sitting here watching a random episode of Voyager while I eat lunch and I want to complain about something that's always bugged me: They have transporters, warp, etc. but they still send data to each other by putting it on data pads and walking it around the ship. No WiFi in the future?

It's a way to allow human contact and prevent "O'Brien at work" situations. Reduces wear and tear on counselors.

Jackpot

Banned

It's the same in all TNG-era shows. They treat PADDs like literal pieces of paper, to the extent that they hand PADDs containing reports to each other and if they're reading multiple things they will have piles of PADDs strewn all over their desk.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

In general sci-fi totally whiffed a bunch of near-future stuff; look at how much more advanced an iPad 1 is than a PADD. Like, they thought full colour screens would be difficult in 2340. Like, what.

Top Bottom