• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

So Generations was interesting....it had some good moments (Data, Picard and Kirk together), the villain was interesting enough. The underlying theme of legacy and what you leave behind was well explored. I didn't like how they sent off Kirk though, they should have at least given him a proper military style send off back on earth and not just leaving him under some rocks on a deserted planet.

Overall I did enjoy it though, I need to rewatch all the TNG movies again but I can safely say it's much better than Insurrection at least.

It's the same in all TNG-era shows. They treat PADDs like literal pieces of paper, to the extent that they hand PADDs containing reports to each other and if they're reading multiple things they will have piles of PADDs strewn all over their desk.

I like to think that in the future the PADDs are so common place and cheap we just give them out like paper, otherwise none of that makes sense lol

Fuchsdh

So Generations was interesting....it had some good moments (Data, Picard and Kirk together), the villain was interesting enough. The underlying theme of legacy and what you leave behind was well explored. I didn't like how they sent off Kirk though, they should have at least given him a proper military style send off back on earth and not just leaving him under some rocks on a deserted planet.

Overall I did enjoy it though, I need to rewatch all the TNG movies again but I can safely say it's much better than Insurrection at least.

I like to think that in the future the PADDs are so common place and cheap we just give them out like paper, otherwise none of that makes sense lol
Well, in most scenarios you can just replicate and deconstruct PADDs at your leisure. Physically handing off programs and files also works as an effective air gap security (which would be a saner explanation if Starfleet wasn't as bad with security in other areas.)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
(Reposting this word-for-word from my post over at the Discovery thread, haha.) Ted Sullivan speaks. New reveal "soon", Rainn Wilson loves his script, prequel-to-TOS status reaffirmed.

I've quoted the portion regarding the prospective upcoming reveal.

There is a good possibility that the ‘soon' Sullivan is referring to is this Wednesday, which is when CBS makes their annual ‘Upfront' presentation to affiliates and advertisers. If you remember, last year CBS revealed the logo and a teaser for the show during their Upfront presentation at Carnegie Hall in NYC, where they will be again this year. As we did last time around, TrekMovie will be monitoring the event, which kicks off at 4:00 p.m. Eastern.

Star Trek: Discovery has been in production since the end of January, but they have yet to reveal any images or footage from the show, or reveal a specific premiere date beyond the estimate of early fall. So there is much that is yet to be revealed, and we are just as excited as Ted is to see it. Maybe more!

Of course, there's no guarantee. CBS Interactive president Marc DeBevoise told Vulture that he couldn't comment on whether All Access would be part of the CBS Upfront presentation, and that the show was not tied to any release date yet. Still, Sullivan's tweet seems to indicate that some sort of new information is on the horizon, and the Upfront does seem to be a likely place to reveal it.

Jackpot

Banned
In general sci-fi totally whiffed a bunch of near-future stuff; look at how much more advanced an iPad 1 is than a PADD. Like, they thought full colour screens would be difficult in 2340. Like, what.

The Constitution refit has canon vertical and horizontal hold knobs for the CRTs on the bridge consoles.

Oh yeah the Excelsior class Enterprise B is ugly btw, I hate that thick neck.

Rewatching Voyager. At least the pilot is good.

I enjoyed the first season, I'm waiting on you and BG to catch up to season 2 before I keep going.

Well, in most scenarios you can just replicate and deconstruct PADDs at your leisure. Physically handing off programs and files also works as an effective air gap security (which would be a saner explanation if Starfleet wasn't as bad with security in other areas.)

Yeah that's how I see it, best way to explain it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't like "Caretaker" as much as most, it seems. Which is kinda strange because I like Voyager more than plenty of people overall.

I think Season 3's a step up from 1 and 4-7 are genuinely decent television seasons. 2, uhh... 2 was not good.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I'm starting in on my VOY rewatch and I kind of just skipped through Caretaker. I remembered a lot of it, but it wasn't really that memorable still.

What is the best place to try getting into Star Trek tv?
I always thought it was too corny or whatever when I passed it so never gave it a fair chance.
I know its apparently completely different but I enjoyed the recent movies and because im a fan of sci-fi I want to give the new show a chance as well.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
What is the best place to try getting into Star Trek tv?
I always thought it was too corny or whatever when I passed it so never gave it a fair chance.
I know its apparently completely different but I enjoyed the recent movies and because im a fan of sci-fi I want to give the new show a chance as well.

TNG, Season 3 is a good start to get the flavour of the universe.

Although if you like nu-Trek this stuff might seem slow.

maharg

idspispopd
I mean, Trek is cheesy, so don't go into it thinking you were wrong about that. :p

TBH it really doesn't matter where you start. Pick something and go. If you don't like it pick something else and go. Everyone's taste is different and it's changed a lot over 50 years.

I started with TNG after watching ST2009. I have now watched every movie and gone through all the series except Voyager (and finishing TAS) which I'm doing so now.

Good luck I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

I started with TNG after watching ST2009. I have now watched every movie and gone through all the series except Voyager (and finishing TAS) which I'm doing so now.

Good luck I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Thank you.

I'd recommend selected episodes from each series. Is a lot of shit in all 5 series to just pick one and start watching every episode.

Is there a chart or anything like that Clone Wars one if I try going this route?
And thanks.

Hi there! Just passing by to let you know guys that recently I watched the original series together with my mum and we both loved it! Now we're watching the second season, though it's taking us a while since we watch just around 3 episodes per week. After that we plan on watching the third season and then the movies in chronological order, up until the last one with the original cast. Then we're going to tackle the next generation series (I mean the one with Patrick Stewart) and after that the newer movies. Then who knows, I fear it's going to be a looong journey, lol. But Iìm glad we decided to start from somewhere because even the oldest stuff is pretty entertaining. The cast is fantastic and what truly elevates the series, together with the concepts presented in some of the episodes.

Any suggestion on watching order and stuff like that?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Hi there! Just passing by to let you know guys that recently I watched the original series together with my mum and we both loved it! Now we're watching the second season, though it's taking us a while since we watch just around 3 episodes per week. After that we plan on watching the third season and then the movies in chronological order, up until the last one with the original cast. Then we're going to tackle the next generation series (I mean the one with Patrick Stewart) and after that the newer movies. Then who knows, I fear it's going to be a looong journey, lol. But Iìm glad we decided to start from somewhere because even the oldest stuff is pretty entertaining. The cast is fantastic and what truly elevates the series, together with the concepts presented in some of the episodes.

Welcome aboard. <3 As a lifelong fan, I'm always happy to see my favorite franchise recruit new ensigns. (I promise this will be the one and only lame Trek joke I make in this reply.)

One thing I like to let folks know about TNG is that it actually spawned something of a "cinematic universe" vibe in the decade prior to the MCU. Some concepts in TNG episodes spin off into Deep Space Nine as well as Voyager, and while genuine crossover is rare (for all sorts of decent reasons), there are some fun recurring characters popping in here and there, and a ton of lore develops between the three 90s TNG-era TV shows.

So while you're watching TNG with your mum, just consider that some of the things introduced around the middle of the show are ideas, races, characters, planted with the intention of carrying things forward into the other shows. It's a neat trick.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your journey! Beware, TOS' third season and TNG's first season are both kinda notorious for having some really rough stuff. But you'll still find a few gems, for sure, and the TOS movies (and the rest of TNG's run) are well worth the pain. If you still feel like carrying forward, I'm a big DS9 fan and I'm always down for chats about it. That show's got more of a serialized (by the standards of the day) structure to it and lots of ongoing character development.

I started with TNG (Then DS9, TOS, TAS, Enterprise and now Voyager) for no reason other than that was the Trek I was most familiar with having watched one of the TNG movies and ST2009. Just know that stuff that gets references from one show might appear in another (and like JeffZero said, TNG era shows are a little more connected via characters) but as far as watching order I think what you're doing is fine.

There are a few seasons that a pretty weak per series for overall I've enjoyed every single one so I hope you do too!

Thank you for the warm welcome and the suggestions! Now I'm really looking forward to watching TNG! Actually both my mum and me are becoming quite impatient to get to the movies and the newer stuff (not that we aren't enjoying TOS, quite the opposite, but the experience has been so great up until now that we're eager to find out how the series evolve with higher budgets and more modern technology) so we decided to up the number of episodes we watch to six per week. I'll keep you updated from time to time.

I suppose Insurrection has a comment about a later DS9 development which could be a spoiler, First Contact makes reference in a way to a Voyager character which gives a bit more context if you've at least watched Voyager's pilot episode, and Nemesis technically has a Voyager finale spoiler, but barely.

Voyager later seasons spoil some DS9 stuff too.

Btw, are you watching the Remastered TOS episodes? They went and added new scenery and space visuals which improves them a fair bit.

Morts

It always bothered me in DS9 how the windows in everyone's quarters had a clear view of space instead of the docking ring or the center of the station. Discuss.

Fuchsdh

It always bothered me in DS9 how the windows in everyone's quarters had a clear view of space instead of the docking ring or the center of the station. Discuss.

All the important characters have nice quarters in the segments that aren't looking at the docking pylons. They're coveted :)

All the important characters have nice quarters in the segments that aren't looking at the docking pylons. They're coveted :)

Just like on TNG really. All the senior staff got those luxurious quarters with windows and large space while the JG lvl grunts still had to bunk it up.

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, If someone told me this was from star wars I'd believe them.

110045_0440b51.jpg

I'm excited for whatever train wreck they got for us :D hopefully I'll be done with Voyager by the time this airs

Fuchsdh

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, If someone told me this was from star wars I'd believe them.

I'm excited for whatever train wreck they got for us :D hopefully I'll be done with Voyager by the time this airs

You don't simply beam down to desert planets in sci-fi without the requisite rough-spun rustic tan robes.

Morts

I have no problem with the Klingons. Maybe they're from the other side of the planet or something. I'm definitely more excited than I was before the trailer.

Huge TNG fan and a fan of TOS, at least the movies, since I haven't seen more than a handful of episodes. How many episodes of DS9 should I try before giving up on it? I'm about to start it and I'm wondering if I have to slog through the first season to get into it or anything. I guess the question applies to Voyager and Enterprise as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Huge TNG fan and a fan of TOS, at least the movies, since I haven't seen more than a handful of episodes. How many episodes of DS9 should I try before giving up on it? I'm about to start it and I'm wondering if I have to slog through the first season to get into it or anything. I guess the question applies to Voyager and Enterprise as well.

DS9: The first season is the weakest part of the show, but I don't think it's ever bad enough that you should give up on it. Show gets better in second season and better still in third.

Voyager: I don't think it's a good show. I recently rewatched the first season and it was bad.

Enterprise: I don't think it's a good show, and the first season is the weakest part.

DS9 has the best first season of the bunch. Though that's not saying much. Duet is some of the best of trek.

I'd say Voyager has the strongest first season and Enterprise season 3 and 4 are pretty good so skip the first two if you'd like.

I'm just starting Voyager season 2 though so I don't know how the rest of that series turns out.

DS9 is pretty great until the last season where it all just comes crashing down.

Fuchsdh

Anyone seen the trailer for The Orville? Trek spoof that weirdly looks more like Trek than Discovery does.

https://youtu.be/d8aUuFsXRjU

It's weird that The Orville and Discovery have similar uniforms. But yeah, The Orville looks like a really uninspired rip-off of Trek (down to virtually identical set designs and weirdly fake-looking lighting.) I'm not sure if a show dedicated to parodying a single franchise will succeed. Galaxy Quest only had to do it for a movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean, he's a big Star Trek fan, but this looks like a bad clone of Galaxy Quest. :p

I also like how they didn't have the budget for exterior sets, so they just used whatever studio backlots were lying around. Maybe that's the joke?

Top Bottom