• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Fuchsdh

I mean, he's a big Star Trek fan, but this looks like a bad clone of Galaxy Quest. :p

I also like how they didn't have the budget for exterior sets, so they just used whatever studio backlots were lying around. Maybe that's the joke?

I assumed the "western" bit was going to be a riff on S3 TOS eps ("Spectre of the Gun", etc.)

Fuchsdh

It's weird, because it looks like TNG so I didn't even think of it being a TOS parody.

I definitely think the overall look is definitely about aping TNG (although the corridors look like they just built a cruddier version of Voyager's sets) but I can only assume they'll hit up everything for material. Can't get past how terrible the lighting is, though. Looks like a fan series rather than something that's going to be put on TV.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I definitely think the overall look is definitely about aping TNG (although the corridors look like they just built a cruddier version of Voyager's sets) but I can only assume they'll hit up everything for material. Can't get past how terrible the lighting is, though. Looks like a fan series rather than something that's going to be put on TV.
Yeah, it's a fan series with money. Like Rogue One. lol
I expect this to die a quick death like Son of Zorn... but then again, MacFarlane can make anything and Fox will keep it on the air forever.

So tonight I continue my Star Trek movie rewatch with First Contact. Even though I have seen them all I don't really remember them all that well except that I enjoyed FC the most

"For an Android sir, that is an eternity"

lol Data is such a good character.

So first thing I noticed is that the movie looks gorgeous on my 4k TV, from Undiscovered Country on I've noticed the visuals have looked really improved and First Contact looked amazing.

It was dumb though that Picard could have waltz into engineering whenever he wanted and broken that coolant tank, hell he didn't even have to walk up to it, a phaser blast from the door would have done it and ended the threat right there. They should have left that as a happy coincidence and not had mentioned it earlier in the movie.

Also the Enterprise-E is ugly, it's like a mix of the Galaxy Class and the Excelsior (which I hate)

Overall I really enjoyed this one, everyone was given something to do with maybe the exception of Worf,

I'd probably rank it above Final Frontier but below every other TOS movie.

TheYanger

lol Data is such a good character.

So first thing I noticed is that the movie looks gorgeous on my 4k TV, from Undiscovered Country on I've noticed the visuals have looked really improved and First Contact looked amazing.

It was dumb though that Picard could have waltz into engineering whenever he wanted and broken that coolant tank, hell he didn't even have to walk up to it, a phaser blast from the door would have done it and ended the threat right there. They should have left that as a happy coincidence and not had mentioned it earlier in the movie.

Also the Enterprise-E is ugly, it's like a mix of the Galaxy Class and the Excelsior (which I hate)

Overall I really enjoyed this one, everyone was given something to do with maybe the exception of Worf,

I'd probably rank it above Final Frontier but below every other TOS movie.

"Why didn't Picard think of the solution that Data thought of?" is probably a question that answers itself if you think about it.

"Why didn't Picard think of the solution that Data thought of?" is probably a question that answers itself if you think about it.

Well Data mentioned it while they were all meeting to go over a plan...so Picard knew what he could do, anyways it's a small nitpick but just something I noticed.

[Enterprise-E armoury]

PICARD: The first thing they'll do in engineering is establish a collective, a central point from which they can control the hive. The problem is if we begin firing particle weapons in engineering there's a risk we may hit the warp core. I believe our goal should be to puncture one of the plasma coolant tanks. Data?
DATA: Excellent idea. Plasma coolant will liquefy organic material on contact.
WORF: But the Borg are not entirely organic.
PICARD: True, but like all cybernetic lifeforms they cannot survive without their organic components.
WORF: I have ordered all weapons to be set on a rotating modulation. The Borg will adapt quickly. We will be able to fire twelve shots at most.
PICARD: One other thing. ...You may encounter Enterprise crewmembers who've already been assimilated. Don't hesitate to fire. Believe me you'll be doing them a favour. ...Let's go.

Kwixotik

So having not seen any Star Trek before except for the JJ Abrams movies, I've decided to start watching TNG. However, due to the notorious badness of the first season, I'm running through a list of essential episodes I found online. So far I've just watched the pilot, Skin of Evil, and Measure of a Man. Starting The Neutral Zone as I type this.

Anyway, if any of y'all feel strongly about recommending an episode not included on this list, throw it out there for me.

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So having not seen any Star Trek before except for the JJ Abrams movies, I've decided to start watching TNG. However, due to the notorious badness of the first season, I'm running through a list of essential episodes I found online. So far I've just watched the pilot, Skin of Evil, and Measure of a Man. Starting The Neutral Zone as I type this.

Anyway, if any of y'all feel strongly about recommending an episode not included on this list, throw it out there for me.

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3

Watch all of them. The bad episodes of season one and two are incredible in their own way.

SL128

Datalore is important for later.

Elementary, Dear Data is fun and has a good follow-up later.

I remember Time Squared being good.

The Emissary is important for Worf's arc, and I think was good.

Peak Performance was good.

The Royale is regarded either as goofy fun, or awful.
---

For season 3 onward, I recommend watching everything, or looking for lists of the few episodes to skip instead of for a few episodes to watch.

I also recommend eventually watching the episodes you skip.

DBT85

Not to mention some of the "bad" episodes have some redeeming features. All the Picard/Q scenes in "Hide & Q" spring to mind as an example

Not only that, but unless you watch Planet of the Black People, you'll have no idea why everyone says "fuck me don't watch that ep" lol.

Fuchsdh

Kinda jarring to go back to Voyagers blurry 4:3 ratio mess,

I just watched Harry Kim wake up in San Fransisco, kinda funny to see a book store in the 24th century but I guess as antiques lol

Yeah honestly while I wish they'd just eat the cost for posterity and get us HD versions of the later shows in the final seasons of DS9 and Voyager it's not terrible. But the early ones definitely feel way older than the 1990s.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TAS is the one thing I've never tried to watch. I'm just afraid to do it.

It aired on Nickelodeon when I was really REALLY young. I've seen all of it, remember almost none of it. I confuse it often times with Spartakus and the sun beneath the sea.

TAS is the one thing I've never tried to watch. I'm just afraid to do it.

I really like it, the aliens/stories are far crazier than anything from TOS just because they aren't limited by what they can draw so it's fun. They had a plant alien species that I thought was cool which has never really been explored in normal ST shows. (that I recall at least)

Yeah honestly while I wish they'd just eat the cost for posterity and get us HD versions of the later shows in the final seasons of DS9 and Voyager it's not terrible. But the early ones definitely feel way older than the 1990s.

Yeah they look pretty bad, especially blown up on a big screen,

Fuchsdh

"Code of Honor" would have been fine if they hadn't decided to make all the aliens black people. It still has a kind of weak resolution, in that it's supposed to show the E crew being clever but ends up feeling like a cheat out of the stakes, but there's some decent stuff in it.

I'd still have been interested in them trying to explain how exactly they came up with a culture of women not having political power but retaining control of material wealth. In that respect it kind of feels like an episode of "Black Mirror" where there's no real way for the culture to have come into being besides arbitrary writer decisions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really like it, the aliens/stories are far crazier than anything from TOS just because they aren't limited by what they can draw so it's fun. They had a plant alien species that I thought was cool which has never really been explored in normal ST shows. (that I recall at least)

Yeah they look pretty bad, especially blown up on a big screen,

I remember the Catgirl crew member, which would have been impossible with makeup. lol

Nete

Also the Enterprise-E is ugly

uiyhlke.gif

Effect

Part of my concern is that the longer they keep holding off doing it the more expensive it might become later on and they really won't do it then and maybe impossible considering that stuff degrades and simply gets lost over time.

I think my favorite is the Enterprise A, the E removed the long neck and gave it that ugly look of the Excelsior class,

I won't count the new designed of the Kelvin timeline just because they are technically an alternate universe but I love the look of those ships too.

Fuchsdh

My issues with the E largely revolve around it having some weird angles where it just seems squashed and featureless, due to the lack of neck. I never particularly liked its hull detailing either. I think I'd like similar streamlining applied to other classes more than I liked the Sovereign itself.

My ranking's probably Refit/A > B > D > C > E > OG 1701 > NX, but I don't think there's an actual bad design among them.

I can't say the same for the JJ E, which has terribly imbalanced proportions and is a real bastardization of the refit 1701.

And yeah, the J just looks goofy. They ever reuse it in the media I can imagine they could subtly spruce up the design a bit though and make it look less like it just got squashed.

A > 1701 Refit > 1701 > NX Series 5 Refit > E > NX > C > B > 3 Nacelle D > D > J.

D is too wide and weird and I've never liked it.

Oh, I guess stick the JJ Ents right after the D.

NX series 5 refit looks cool as hell, got a Starship model of this.

tx1zF.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
A-refit is the best looking.
D is the classiest.
Original is the most iconic.

All others need not apply.

Fuchsdh

I meant the refit look, blue light and all. Is there a difference between the original refit and A?

Extremely minor; the biggest differences are really just the changes in sets from movie to movie. There's some minor changes in paint job from the redetailing they did in V and VI.

Really the best the ship ever looked was in The Motion Picture, though, because ILM toned down the model's pearlescent finish to avoid light spill problems.

Cheerilee

I'm struck by the idea that there are too damn many Enterprises. And I blame movie-Picard.

The OG Enterprise got a face lift for The Motion Picture, and that's fine. Great even.

Then Star Trek II killed Spock. Star Trek III brought him back, but they killed the OG Enterprise in exchange. That had weight and impact (not as much as killing Spock, obviously, but it was powerful and it worked). It wasn't until the end of Star Trek IV that they brought the 1701 back from the dead as the 1701-A, and that was a beautiful moment. Kirk and company's long journey from Star Trek II has been completed, and they came out on top. The death of the OG Enterprise was part of a 3-movie long story arc. Then V and VI rightly kept their grubby hands off the ship (VI beat it up a little, and then Starfleet suggested retiring it... "Go to hell").

But then in Picard's very first movie excursion, Riker and Troi tag-team to blow up/crash their Enterprise. Riker says it died too soon, while Picard monologues about how it needed to die for us to appreciate 7 seasons of TNG (which is apparently the lesson Picard learned from the tragic death of his young nephew). Riker says he really wanted to Captain the ship, and Picard is like "LOL, you believe the marketing department is going to let this brand die here. Reboots, baby!" The Enterprise-D's body wasn't even cold before it's death was completely undermined by Picard (insert Kerlin Neskar-smashing sound effect).

And then in the very next movie, Picard sets the self-destruct on the Enterprise, and he's all "Plenty of letters left in the alphabet." Before we've had a chance to become accustomed to the rebooted ship, Picard's already implying 26 reboots. Around this point I figure the Enterprise has no more value. Enterprises are as disposable as Voyager shuttles.

Five years later, they tried to reboot Star Trek and wrapped it in the brand value of "Enterprise", and the marketing department wonders why nobody gave a damn.

JJ Abrams ran his version of the OG Enterprise though a literal metal shredder, and I felt nothing.

JJ Abrams ran his version of the OG Enterprise though a literal metal shredder, and I felt nothing.
Didn't Simon Pegg write Beyond? He should have know how ineffective destroying another Hero ship would be since he is meant to be a proper Trek fan, right?

DS9 did it with Defiant too. Destroyed it then a few episodes later replaced it with an identical ship and it was like nothing happened.

Fuchsdh

Didn't Simon Pegg write Beyond? He should have know how ineffective destroying another Hero ship would be since he is meant to be a proper Trek fan, right?

DS9 did it with Defiant too. Destroyed it then a few episodes later replaced it with an identical ship and it was like nothing happened.

Yeah at least DS9 and TSFS had some greater stakes going on and didn't immediately restore the status quo.

Sephzilla

As sick as I am of seeing the Enterprise get destroyed every movie, Beyond had probably the most visceral and jaw dropping destruction of the Enterprise yet, so I give it a pass. It's way more acceptable than the Enterprise-D getting taken down by a fucking TOS-era Bird of Prey

Jackpot

Banned
JJAbrams Enterprise puts me in the mind of the typical story of million dollar logo redesigns or modern art that everyone agrees their 10 year old could do better. There's nothing iconic about it.

So I had to Google this Enterprise J and dear God is that ugly. It looks like a sarcastic version of the E (although I guess I like the E more than most of you).

Also, on reflection, I might like Voyager more than most of the Enterprises.

I think my favorite Enterprise design is TOS thanks to those nacelles. I just love that pulsing orange glow with the rainbow sparkles inside. It's so fun to look at.
If it weren't for the nacelles, the refit Enterprise would be #1. Love the shape and all the hull detail of that one, but the nacelles don't have anything going on toward the front anymore. Dat pearlescent aztec pattern.
I think the Kelvin timeline Enterprise actually takes the #2 spot because it's like a cross between those two designs.

Sentimentally though my #1 would be the E-D. That's the one I grew up watching.

JJAbrams Enterprise puts me in the mind of the typical story of million dollar logo redesigns or modern art that everyone agrees their 10 year old could do better.

Dude what are you doing right now, come on. Just say you don't like it, there's no need to be absurd.

Top Bottom