• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GPD XD Handheld Android Console

PaulloDEC

Ends up being $207 AU for me so not baaaad, Ill see how much my n3DSxl will go for and then decide but defiantly interested.

$207 Australian? Lowest I'm seeing is $159 USD, which xe.com tells me comes to around $234 AUD (for the black 16gb model).

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Maximo

$207 Australian? Lowest I'm seeing is $159 USD, which xe.com tells me comes to around $234 AUD (for the black 16gb model).

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Weird changed the sites currency to AU and that's what its giving me at checkout, maybe it hasn't updated.

RedSwirl

gpd xd has google play store. yeah, i wish for a console that had steam

If you're talking about just a console, that's basically what Steam Machines are supposed to be. And if you don't like SteamOS you can just install Windows on one. The question is, how much of the complexity and cost does this take away from just getting into PC gaming?

Another thing to note is even if you don't like the Steam Machines for PC gaming, by default they should make for excellent emulator consoles. The Smach Zero as well.

If you're talking about just a console, that's basically what Steam Machines are supposed to be. And if you don't like SteamOS you can just install Windows on one. The question is, how much of the complexity and cost does this take away from just getting into PC gaming?

Another thing to note is even if you don't like the Steam Machines for PC gaming, by default they should make for excellent emulator consoles. The Smach Zero as well.

I still say that the Shield TV is the best emulator console out there for the money. $200 -$300 for a very capable emulation/media streaming setup. :)

That said, I think that the GPD XD might be the best handheld. :D

Interested in asking for one of these for my birthday coming up, but curious to hear more of y'all's impressions first. My n3ds is pretty good at emulation but the hoops I gotta jump through to keep that and my eshop connection are getting tiresome, and this thing can do DC....

CO_Andy

akidnamededdy said:
Interested in asking for one of these for my birthday coming up, but curious to hear more of y'all's impressions first. My n3ds is pretty good at emulation but the hoops I gotta jump through to keep that and my eshop connection are getting tiresome, and this thing can do DC....
The XD definitely feels like a first-party quality product. The shell, buttons, dpad, and sticks don't feel cheap at all and function like they should. They're using some authentic Japanese parts according to their product page.

Isn't the gpd xd more powerful than the shield?
It's not, but the XD ain't no slouch either.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Any benchmarks for this device?

On the GPU side, the Mali T764 has support for OpenGL 3.0, which Tegra 4 doesn't. But the Shield seems to have a modest edge on OpenGL 2.0 performance.

On the CPU side, which is the most important for emulators, they seem to be roughly on par if we compare a Rockchip RK3288 development board with the Tegra 4 on the shield. However, you must keep in mind that the Shield, given it's power envelope with active cooling, is one of the best handhelds in terms of sustained performance, while the RK3288 is on a development board.

In what way do you find the shield superior?

I was talking about the Shield TV console, as the handheld is sadly out of production. I think the GPD XD is a much better system as a handheld though. :)

shield-hero-image.0.0.0.jpg

I like the Shield's power but it's too ugly and definitely not pocket friendly.

It is also selling for absurd amounts of money now that Nvidia ceased production.

It is also selling for absurd amounts of money now that Nvidia ceased production.

I would be kicking myself now for hesitating so long on getting the Shield Portable if the GPD XD didn't look like such a viable alternative, which based on the impressions and info in this thread, it's freaking solid.

stone drum

Neo Member
I would be kicking myself now for hesitating so long on getting the Shield Portable if the GPD XD didn't look like such a viable alternative, which based on the impressions and info in this thread, it's freaking solid.

I have a gcw zero too. I love it. The size is is great, and it has a nostalgic style and character to it. BUUUUt now that I have a gpd xd, I see how much of a ripoff the gcw zero is. It just feel so cheap...It should not be 150 dollars at all...Compared to the gpd xd, the gcw zero is hardly worth 60$....the gpd xd I'd price around 200-230$.

I'll probably still use my gcw zero when im wanting to play on something really small, but the gpd just...youll understand xD

Also, the battery on the gpd xd lasts foreverrrrrrrrrr. I still haven't calculated an estimated run time, but it seems like getting 12 hours of game time with n64/ dreamcast/ps1 emulation could be very possible especially with wifi off

stone drum

Neo Member
What about ppsspp? Is it enough to run some games there?

ive read in places that psspp has slowdown, but in other places it's full speed...I need to test it out myself or ind a more definitive answer. This video makes it look like psp emulation is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2R3uDWP340

do you have any specific games for psp i could test?

No. Looks like the Shield is slightly faster and should perform for even better for longer period of time. Where did you read it was more powerful?

various forums... one said it was like 20% faster in ways. i saw one of those power clock test things (i am tech illiterate) and the number on the gpd was like 44k or something D: ? no idea to be honest.

R1CHO

Don't worry, whatever you feel like playing :)

I think it probably will play alright with most of them, I tried ppsspp with an old tablet not long ago and the performance wasn't bad.

Will watch that video.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
various forums... one said it was like 20% faster in ways. i saw one of those power clock test things (i am tech illiterate) and the number on the gpd was like 44k or something D: ? no idea to be honest.

Can you link them (or PM them)?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, Geekbench seems to have scores for this device!

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/4060867?baseline=4076111

Is not the last word, but indeed it give us and idea of relative performance. So, yes, this device is a bit slower. But:

• Is smaller.
  • Is cheaper.
  • The GPU is more modern with full support for ES 3.0

If the build quality and ROM support are up to par, is among the Shield as the best Android handheld consoles.

Here's a comparison for the GPU performance.

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&&did1=26639860&os1=Android&api1=gl&hwtype1=GPU&hwname1=ARM+Mali-T764&did2=4481&os2=Android&api2=gl&hwtype2=GPU&hwname2=NVIDIA%28R%29+Tegra%28R%29+4

stone drum

Neo Member
So the bottom exterior and button interior is matte? That would be great as that's what I'll be touching the most.

Correct. Even the top interior is matte.
Everything is matte except the glossy top exterior. Which frankly, the type of gloss is not a fingerprint magnet

Main obstacle to jumping for this is that I'd rather wait for Nintendo's next NX handheld thing. I feel like if I buy this I'll be kicking myself later. I don't make money very quickly, so it could set back other purchases quite a while. Very tempting looking though.

Maximo

Main obstacle to jumping for this is that I'd rather wait for Nintendo's next NX handheld thing. I feel like if I buy this I'll be kicking myself later. I don't make money very quickly, so it could set back other purchases quite a while. Very tempting looking though.

What you want NX for the Retro games ? Nintendo isn't exactly the best with that sorta thing. Really its like any device *I could buy this or wait till the next best thing!* I want something like this but honestly more on the lines of a Windows device, don't care if it can't run AAA Games im happy with running all the indie games I want on the go.

butman

got it. just tested opengl it with brave fencer musashi. i set ALL video epsxe settings to highest settings. the framerate was unaffected. it hovered around 59-61

GREAT! Did you noticed the difference in graphics from native PSX resolution to the HD ones?

stone drum

Neo Member
GREAT! Did you noticed the difference in graphics from native PSX resolution to the HD ones?

Yes, very big difference. I might actually prefer all of the artifacts of the original settings. With OpenGL and everything on high, there aren't any graphical flaws, but remember the ps1 didn't have many polygons so it looks a little weird turning low tech into HD. It does look really good though

butman

Yes, very big difference. I might actually prefer all of the artifacts of the original settings. With OpenGL and everything on high, there aren't any graphical flaws, but remember the ps1 didn't have many polygons so it looks a little weird turning low tech into HD. It does look really good though

Nice to read that. It would be nice if you can test any FF (VII, VIII or IX) with this settings.

Thanks again!

bryanee

I have a JXD but I've had nothing but issues with it, one of those issues being a sound synch issue which I cant seem to fix. Is this any better? Easier to use?

stone drum

Neo Member
Nice to read that. It would be nice if you can test any FF (VII, VIII or IX) with this settings.

Thanks again!

epsxe was actually updated today. It added a new video option to increase internal resolution to 2x. It said in the updat elog that it is only recommended for very fast devices. I tried the 2x internal resolution in addition to opengl and all other options set to high with brave fencer musashi. it still ran at the same frame rate.

I also got ff7 running on epsxe. Have an issue where no inputs are being recognized, so cant get past intro screen. Will try to fix

Top Bottom