• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GPD XD Handheld Android Console

simtmb

I'm doubtful, but is Saturn playable?

Haven't kept up with such developments and that system has always been a rough one, but if so, I'll order within the minute. Tempted with DC alone though.

PaulloDEC

I'm doubtful, but is Saturn playable?

Haven't kept up with such developments and that system has always been a rough one, but if so, I'll order within the minute. Tempted with DC alone though.

I've not got any first-hand experience, but a quick Youtube search shows a bunch of Saturn videos with games running at full speed.

Really really tempted to pick one of these up soon, and I probably will, but I wanted to see if someone could run some specific game tests for me first:

- Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64) (I'm not particularly hopeful for good results on this one as I think it's just a tricky game to emulate in general or something, on top of the already wishy washy nature of N64 emulation in general)

- Pilotwings 64 (another one that I think has always been difficult to get running properly on an emulator)

- Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX)

Also, are the three PS2 GTA games available on the Google Play shop (GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas)? Has anyone tried those, if they are? That would be pretty awesome to have on the go on this thing, too.

One of the reviews I read said a PS2 emulator was "in the works," but I doubt this thing'll be able to run those decently, right? I'm not expecting it but I know my brother will ask when I tell him about this thing.

I've not got any first-hand experience, but a quick Youtube search shows a bunch of Saturn videos with games running at full speed.

The issue is not power, but the flaked nature of Saturn Emulation. SFIII games run full speed, but they hang at the opening screen unless you have a save file to load. Panzer Dragon Saga will play fine, but again you have to skip one of the early movies or otherwise it hangs.

So Saturn is "playable" if you are willing to save often, deal with crashes every ten minutes, and then replay up to that point and try something different to get further.

I'd kill (or severely injure) for one of these that was small. like, original GBA size or something like that. Of course that's never happening :(

I agree. I've had a GPD XD for about a month now, and while it's nice, it's still quite a bit bigger than what I'd ideally prefer. However, from what I've seen, most of these Android "gaming tablets" don't seem to come any smaller than the GPD XD. Most seem to aim for 7", which seems ridiculous. But even at the size it is, the GPD XD feels a bit on the heavy side when I'm using it for about an hour.

I'd love it if one of these were sized like a non-XL DSLite/3DS/N3DS. Sure the battery size would take a hit, but I don't really dig massive handheld systems. But "bigger is better" seems to drive most portable electronics development nowadays.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I agree. I've had a GPD XD for about a month now, and while it's nice, it's still quite a bit bigger than what I'd ideally prefer. However, from what I've seen, most of these Android "gaming tablets" don't seem to come any smaller than the GPD XD. Most seem to aim for 7", which seems ridiculous. But even at the size it is, the GPD XD feels a bit on the heavy side when I'm using it for about an hour.

I'd love it if one of these were sized like a non-XL DSLite/3DS/N3DS. Sure the battery size would take a hit, but I don't really dig massive handheld systems. But "bigger is better" seems to drive most portable electronics development nowadays.

7" is the sweet spot for cheap OEM screens these days.

Perversely, a smaller screen would likely mean a higher BOM.

7" is the sweet spot for cheap OEM screens these days.

Perversely, a smaller screen would likely mean a higher BOM.

Oh, I have no doubt that's why there's so many 7" ones. The market is flooded with dirt-cheap 7" tablets in general, so those screens must be inexpensive and common.

But it still remains that a 7" screen on a portable gaming console is still far, far larger than ideal, considering I'd never use one of these as an actual tablet.

list-title-S192-600-6001.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooooo thank you. It's not even usable for general tablet purposes.

Is there any way to get one of these in the US quicker than a month? Amazon and eBay both have estimated delivery dates around December 9th with no other shipping options.

stone drum

Neo Member
If you are willing to spend over $200 on this thing why not get a Nvidia shield portable?

Well the gpd isn't over 200 unless you're getting the red model. The 16gb model is 160-170.

Then nvidia shield portable is 300 new and often goes for much more

Looking at my budget at the moment for things I'm trying to get (gaming and otherwise), unless some place sells it on sale for shipment to the US I'm most likely going to wait until after December to pick mine up. With how sporadic Black Friday deals are, I want to be as financially ready as possible for them.

I'll likely get the black 16GB model and just slap a MicroSD in it if I need more. I briefly thought about getting the red one so it stands out compared to my black N3DSXL, but all of my handhelds are black. Decisions :/

Looking at my budget at the moment for things I'm trying to get (gaming and otherwise), unless some place sells it on sale for shipment to the US I'm most likely going to wait until after December to pick mine up. With how sporadic Black Friday deals are, I want to be as financially ready as possible for them.

I'll likely get the black 16GB model and just slap a MicroSD in it if I need more. I briefly thought about getting the red one so it stands out compared to my black N3DSXL, but all of my handhelds are black. Decisions :/

I just used the profits from flipping one of my Fallout 4 Pipboy editions to buy one of tyhe black ones. Really excited. :)

CO_Andy

Is there any way to get one of these in the US quicker than a month? Amazon and eBay both have estimated delivery dates around December 9th with no other shipping options.
Mine arrived in the US in two weeks, but then it got stuck in Customs for another 10 days :/

stone drum

Neo Member
bad news to the guy who wanted 3rd strike on DC. It is full of graphical glitches. :/

I suspect you want 3rd strike on DC specifically so you have access to training mode? 3rd strike works just fine on arcade emulators though. I wonder if one can set up free play mode with messing with dipswitch settings and what not. Will look into it.
it looks like this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wTpGSch-vw

If you are willing to spend over $200 on this thing why not get a Nvidia shield portable?

598px-NvidiaShieldPortable.jpg

I can't stand the design. It's like they grafted a screen onto a third-party Xbox gamepad. It's a giant brick when closed.

The GPD XD is already a little larger than I prefer, but at least it's a flat, tapered device.

I can't stand the design. It's like they grafted a screen onto a third-party Xbox gamepad. It's a giant brick when closed.

The GPD XD is already a little larger than I prefer, but at least it's a flat, tapered device.

The more I look at this thing, the more I don't regret passing on it. I feel like I would be more satisfied with a 3DS-clamshell unit than a controller with a screen thing.

that desgin !

list-title-S192-600-6001.jpg

Yikes... would be interested to see what this looks like in person. Doesn't look comfortable or light...

PaulloDEC

I couldn't exactly visualize the difference in scale, so I knocked up a little comparison:

fO9b.png

The XD really is a pretty svelte device in comparison. I could conceivably fit it in my back pocket (while standing up), whereas the Shield wouldn't even come close.

I have a Shield Portable and I just bought this. I hope the buttons feel better than what I got on the Shield.
The trade-in value on Amazon is higher than what I paid for the device at Gamestop so that's where it's going :).
Anyone have tips for Reicast? Most of the games I've tried from the downloaded emulator either crashed or did not work. Same for the Saturn emulator.

dvolovets

Hmm. I'm experiencing a lot of slowdown in games that you wouldn't think would have it -- 2D stuff like Yoshi's Story, Mischief Makers, etc... mostly in N64 games... are there any settings that I am unaware of, perhaps?

RM8

I could make my own small handheld by buying an Android phone and one of those attachable controllers, right? I'd just need a cheap, decent phone and a controller that isn't huge, hideous and poorly built.

:(

I could make my own small handheld by buying an Android phone and one of those attachable controllers, right? I'd just need a cheap, decent phone and a controller that isn't huge, hideous and poorly built.

:(

I have yet to find a controller and phone option that didn't feel incredibly clunky.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The one advantage of that setup is that high-end phones are way ahead of this kind of gaming handhelds. The only one that held its own was the Shield at launch and that Tegra K1 handheld-tablet.

The one advantage of that setup is that high-end phones are way ahead of this kind of gaming handhelds. The only one that held its own was the Shield at launch and that Tegra K1 handheld-tablet.

High-end phones are usually way more expensive than a $160 gaming device, though.

Plus, I've yet to see one of those controller cases that make a truly elegant "all-in-one" solution. And power isn't the only consideration that goes into my purchasing a device like this. Design gets equal consideration. I eventually went with the GPD XD because it seemed like the best replacement for my aging, dying Xperia Play. I loved the size of my Xperia Play, but most of the modern gaming tablets being released were 7" behemoths. Sure, some are powerful, but I wanted something that looks and feels like an traditional portable game system, like the DS.

stone drum

Neo Member

Unless the high end phones you speak of can emulate ps2 and GameCube, then they aren't really ahead now are they

I couldn't exactly visualize the difference in scale, so I knocked up a little comparison:

fO9b.png

The XD really is a pretty svelte device in comparison. I could conceivably fit it in my back pocket (while standing up), whereas the Shield wouldn't even come close.

Wow, the Shield is more than twice as thick. It could save a lot of space by ditching the "grip" style design of a standalone gamepad.

PaulloDEC

Hmm. I'm experiencing a lot of slowdown in games that you wouldn't think would have it -- 2D stuff like Yoshi's Story, Mischief Makers, etc... mostly in N64 games... are there any settings that I am unaware of, perhaps?

Are you seeing most of the trouble in a specific emulator? For example, is there an alternate N64 emulator you could use to compare performance?

Also, is the emulator running the games at higher-than-original resolution?

Wow, the Shield is more than twice as thick. It could save a lot of space by ditching the "grip" style design of a standalone gamepad.

Yup, the thing is an absolute monster for a handheld. I understand why they targeted console-like ergonomics, but it takes a pretty big hit in the portability department as a result.

What about PSP? or Doom 3? :p

I've had some great results with PSP emulation on the GPD XD. It varies from game to game, though. But the same can be said of PPSSPP in Windows as well.

From what I understand GC and PS2 emulation on Android is in its infancy regardless of whichever device you use.

Yup, the thing is an absolute monster for a handheld. I understand why they targeted console-like ergonomics, but it takes a pretty big hit in the portability department as a result.

I got an Nvidia Shield a year ago for a really good price (Gamestop was clearing stock around Christmas and selling it for $140 I think). In terms of comfort the only problem I have with it is the weight. Maybe it's a tradeoff for it to be as powerful as it is and with good battery life, but it's definitely one of the heavier handheld devices I own.

Aliexpress, straight from GPD themselves. Today they're 188$ and you have 15$ off for every order over 149$ and I grabbed a 4$ coupon

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to get this today so I guess I'll have to see if I can get it on another sale. Did you just buy yours, or has it already arrived, and if the latter, how quick was the shipping?

Fularu

Banned
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to get this today so I guess I'll have to see if I can get it on another sale. Did you just buy yours, or has it already arrived, and if the latter, how quick was the shipping?
I just bought it but from past experience it takes about 3 weeks to get here

Maximo

Yep ended up getting one aliexpress has a special with a coupon, with 5-10 day shipping ends up being $193.43, not the best price but the Au dollar is shit at the moment and heck it's my birthday in 2 weeks so it will be a present to myself.

stone drum

Neo Member
Yep ended up getting one aliexpress has a special with a coupon, with 5-10 day shipping ends up being $193.43, not the best price but the Au dollar is shit at the moment and heck it's my birthday in 2 weeks so it will be a present to myself.

happy birthday :D i hope you like it

Top Bottom