• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest E3 reaction videos of all time

IMG_3865.jpg

This guy thought we were delusional at the time ��
To be fair, at the time, you were literally insane to think that either a VII remake or a Shenmue III would have any chance at showing up at all.

But we had no idea....

WaterAstro

tbf that's a really, really, really stupid thing to criticize.

"How dare you not be super excited because of this announcement!"
It's pretty much as stupid as
"How dare you be super excited because of this announcement!"

Yeeeeaaah no.

Someone who isn't excited about those announcements, as a gamer or a journalist, is not a game fan anymore.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeeeeaaah no.

Someone who isn't excited about those announcements, as a gamer or a journalist, is not a game fan anymore.

Ho boy.
I guess I'm not a "game fan" anymore too.
Too bad for me, do I have to hand in my badge?

Seriously, don't be silly.

Couleurs

Yeeeeaaah no.

A man holding a baby is watching EA's E3 presentation; video starts playing:

Announcer: EA Sports - it's in the game
Man: oh my god, it..it can't be!?!
*black screen fades in and reveals Tom Brady reaching back to throw a pass in slow motion*
Man: OH FUCK IT'S..IT'S
*video shows a wide receiver leaping into the end zone*
Man: OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK *flings baby behind him*
*video shows more routine plays, as the man's screaming gets louder and higher pitch*
Madden 18 logo appears
Man: *screaming continues to intensify before his head explodes, Scanners style*

Sony's E3 2015 lessened for me a little bit considering two of those aren't even out yet (and probably won't be out for quite some time) and the other one came out pretty decently, I guess but was forgotten to the ashes of time.

Starfield

Yeeeeaaah no.

I couldnt care less about Final Fantasy and I dont even know how to pronounce Shenmue. The only game that looked kinda interesting was TLG but appearantly it has shit controls so thats it.

p2535748

There isn't a right way that is true.

Personally I find the extremely jaded and distrustful attitudes behind the GB crew rather disheartening and not something I want to watch. If thats what you or anyone else enjoys thats fine you enjoy it but I enjoy watching press conferences that can take hours because of how impactful and interesting they can be so watching a group of guys who don't seem to care about what they're watching isn't fun for me. They have reasons to behave the way they do (E3 is largely a show to build up hype around announcements of games that may take years to come out if ever, I can see why people get jaded about a lot of this) its just not something I care to watch.

The thing is, when you call it jaded and distrustful, and say they don't care it's inaccurate and dismissive.

They've been excited about a great many things during streams, including announcements, though they're more often excited about actually playing games. Their reaction to Hitman and Doom last year bordered on rapturous, for example.

So what's happening is that a very small slice of video out off the hundreds (thousands?) of hours they produce each year is being brought up over and over again as "proof" that they're jaded and uninterested. It's myopic and frustrating.

I'm fine with saying you don't want to watch GB, but when this comes up as a reason why it just seems so wrongheaded.

WaterAstro

Not everybody likes what you like. Why would they get excited for something they didn't like in the first place.

Yeah, so they didn't like Shenmue, Ico/SotC, or FF7. ok

A man holding a baby is watching EA's E3 presentation; video starts playing:

Announcer: EA Sports - it's in the game
Man: oh my god, it..it can't be!?!
*black screen fades in and reveals Tom Brady reaching back to throw a pass in slow motion*
Man: OH FUCK IT'S..IT'S
*video shows a wide receiver leaping into the end zone*
Man: OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK *flings baby behind him*
*video shows more routine plays, as the man's screaming gets louder and higher pitch*
Madden 18 logo appears
Man: *screaming continues to intensify before his head explodes, Scanners style*

Comparing an annual sports games to announcements we've been waiting 10 years for. ok

Pantz

When Shenmue III came on for whatever reason I grabbed my mattress and flipped it into the air. It landed with blanket and pillow on the bottom. No recording but it was a true reaction.

whalesex

Neo Member
Maybe I'm just working on assumption here, but I really do think there is a generational gap between people here and what sort of reactions they enjoy. Maybe I'm just old, but I personally cannot stand the "react even more crazy because I'm on camera" crowd. While I'm not so ignorant to say that Giant Bomb isn't cynical, at least I feel like they're real, all of the time. They've followed and have been a part of the industry for so long that they can see through the BS and that's why so many people like them. They still get excited about stuff but they don't have to play it up just to appease the viewers.

I should point out, I'm not calling out any other media outlets, just saying that I have always enjoyed Giant Bomb's approach over the Youtube/ Twitch crowd.

Also, this is what it's all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8y6yAG180

Budi

Yeeeeaaah no.

Don't do this, were you one of those who were complaining "lol that grill is a fake gamer, not excited!" about the GT reactions since Elyse wasn't jumping around?

IHaveIce

Banned
This gif is not real ..

https://youtu.be/hqF4nc0_chk?t=1h23m20s

this is the actual reveal of Shenmue 3. Stop spreading fake gifs !

what a bunch of boring men, how is this entertaining? I don't watch any of those outlets on a regular basis, but why would you watch a reaction stream by people who sit there like it is torture for them.

Edit: Before someone misunderstands, I'm not judging their reactions every reacts in a different way, but if you search a stream of an outlet that is reacting to the conferences instead of just watching the conferences it self, why one were all of them just sit there and just drop cynical snarks all around.. I mean you can have the same shit on gaf everyday.

p2535748

Yeah, so they didn't like Shenmue, Ico/SotC, or FF7. ok.

In addition to everything other people have said, let's be accurate about what was announced. It was an incredibly long in development game reemerging, a Kickstarter for a sequel to a cult hit, and a remake that hadn't even started development.

I'm not saying you can't get excited for those things, I'm just saying that there's ample reason for some healthy skepticism.

whalesex

Neo Member
what a bunch of boring men, how is this entertaining? I don't watch any of those outlets on a regular basis, but why would you watch a reaction stream by people who sit there like it is torture for them.

Because they're not "reaction streams" so much as commentary. They always have insightful things to say about the content being shown rather than going: "OH MY GOD I CANT BELIEVE IT. THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE."

Plus, Shenmue was never a good game....yep, I said it.

Budi

Some people want something more of substance and not just people screaming in excitement or looking at trailers with their mouths open. From industry professionals there's a lot of other commentary to give. Luckily EZA offers it all, genuine excitement, love for games and substance!

kpaadet

Same reason why some watch people that will rip out their own hair in excitement for every little announcement I suppose, because you find enjoyment in their commentary and respect their option on games.

Tagyhag

I will always assume that anyone who likes those overly exaggerated to E3 is also a fan of those Youtubers who act like they're being killed after a simple jumpscare.

I can understand enthusiasm, but come on, I'm an adult, you're not fooling me.

In addition to everything other people have said, let's be accurate about what was announced. It was an incredibly long in development game reemerging, a Kickstarter for a sequel to a cult hit, and a remake that hadn't even started development.

I'm not saying you can't get excited for those things, I'm just saying that there's ample reason for some healthy skepticism.

Yes, I can understand people being angry about Giant Bomb not shitting their pants in anticipation, especially if you're a Sony and/or Shenmue fanboy. But take a step back from your bias, and realize just exactly what was announced.

I will always assume that anyone who likes those overly exaggerated to E3 is also a fan of those Youtubers who act like they're being killed after a simple jumpscare.

I can understand enthusiasm, but come on, I'm an adult, you're not fooling me.

Yes, I can understand people being angry about Giant Bomb not shitting their pants in anticipation, especially if you're a Sony and/or Shenmue fanboy. But take a step back from your bias, and realize just exactly what was announced.
Man you ppl I tell ya

Top Bottom