• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The grey rubber circle pad on my 3DS came off!

whitehawk

Banned
8404940852_07db540d9e_c.jpg

By the way, this happened during a spirited online match of Mario Kart 7.
The d-pad also developed the cracking/chipped paint with regular use. Or maybe I have acid thumb grease.
Just slip it back on.

A blob of superglue might make the plastic raised more then normal or lob sided, you might want to get a cheap art brush, paint on some glue then stick it back on as even as possible, always best to start with less.

DonMigs85

A blob of superglue might make the plastic raised more then normal or lob sided, you might want to get a cheap art brush, paint on some glue then stick it back on as even as possible, always best to start with less.

Sounds like a good idea. Actually when I looked underneath, there only seemed to be glue residue on the right-side rim.

jeremy1456

Pity, but hopefully this is covered by warranty.

I might be mistaken, but i think the Vita sticks are solid pieces (as in not something that is glued in place), so it should take some force before they break.

My Vita sticks are extremely loose because one day I carried the system around in my backpack for a few hours.

I think they won't break, but they will do what the old N64 controllers did and become so loose they are barely useable.

DonMigs85

I'll probably wait a couple more years and see if Nintendo releases a 3DSi or something before I consider upgrading. At least this thing has the ambassador games.

If you don't let Nintendo know about this problem, then they may not fix their production issues. Future 3DS owners implore you to call Nintendo.

DonMigs85

If you don't let Nintendo know about this problem, then they may not fix their production issues. Future 3DS owners implore you to call Nintendo.

Problem is I'm not in America, land of milk and honey.
Also, I saw someone who had the same problem post on a 3DS forum that Nintendo wanted over $100 to fix the unit. Nyurrrh

HardRojo

The poor build and design quality of the OG 3DS are the reasons I'll be getting an XL before Pokemon and Ace Attorney 5 arrive, I tried the XL once and immediately fell in love with it, unlike the original 3DS.

DonMigs85

Okay, I put a tiny dot of cyanoacrylate and now it looks and feels better other than a small dimple near the middle of the pad.

Tangential, but the rubber on the analog stick on my main 360 controller is worn away on the bottom. Kind of weirds me out.

Soul_Pie

The original 3DS would have to be one of the flimsiest pieces of hardware Nintendo have ever made.

My circle pad is loose as well, I have to place a cloth down over the screen because of the screen scratching problem, the hinges are loose and move about while playing, the overall build quality is dreadful.

My brick original gameboy is in better shape.

DonMigs85

The original 3DS would have to be one of the flimsiest pieces of hardware Nintendo have ever made.

My circle pad is loose as well, I have to place a cloth down over the screen because of the screen scratching problem, the hinges are loose and move about while playing, the overall build quality is dreadful.

My brick original gameboy is in better shape.

I think the DS Lite was flimsier overall. At the very least, the bottom half of the 3DS feels pretty solid. Just wish it didn't have a painted body.

It reminds me of the slide pad on my old OG 3DS, which peeled off little by little:
I emailed Nintendo and they said they'd replace it for free, but I'm not in the USA so I didn't send it. I managed to sell it for $160 and bought an XL, no problems since then.

Nooooooo
I can snap it back on but it feels a bit funny/loose and can pop off again pretty easily.
Is glue my only real option? Scared I might make it worse

This reminds me of those horrible stories you read about men breaking their frenulum during sex. (Oh god, the horror)

But beyond that, can you call customer support at all? Kind of like normal DS repair... send it in for a fee and get it repaired.

This morning I traded my Grey XL with about 5 games including Mariokart 7 for a White XL with the preinstalled MK7. I Havent yet decided if this was a good idea or not... But the white is so pretty!

This just happened to me yesterday while playing Minish Cap. I didn't even notice it the moment it came off, but after a few minutes of it feeling weird I looked down and noticed sometging was off. Aside from the past 2 weeks I haven't even played with it in months, so I started to question if it was all in my head or not. Finally, I see the actual rubber piece next to my elbow.

tAh0WDE.jpg

Turns out that small little dot near the center is standard and the sides of the circle pad are trimmed ever so slightly. The actual circle feels like one of those chalk textured candies you'd get during valentine's day.

DonMigs85

Cracked d-pad, and I bet that screen is scratched too.

So glad with the XL. Even if I wasn't a hater of the original (in terms of aesthetics).

I guess one little benefit is that I don't really care much anymore about keeping this unit as pristine as possible. I'll run it into the ground then maybe upgrade to an XL at some point.
Both screens are protected though, and it's got a Hori TPU case.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man, this worries me. My old DS Lite had a problem with the charge fuse. Which I haven't even attempted to fix. And now I was worried about the 3DS doing the same thing.

This just adds one more thing to worry about with my 3DS XL console. I think Nintendo has a one year warranty. They have console repair shops too, but I've never relied on them outside the warranty.

If those places could fix it cheap I'd do that. Otherwise I'd get the best super glue on the market.

test_account

XP-39C²
My Vita sticks are extremely loose because one day I carried the system around in my backpack for a few hours.

I think they won't break, but they will do what the old N64 controllers did and become so loose they are barely useable.
Sounds like they got bent quite much and hard while they were in the backpack. I've used my Vita quite much since launch (over a year now) and the sticks still feel great on my device.

(Late reply from me, i didnt see your message before now, sorry).

Top Bottom