• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The grey rubber circle pad on my 3DS came off!

Ecto311

I finally broke down and called nintendo and they are going to fix it for free. THe dog bite marks are not that visible and I am hoping they just fix and return it. Not sure what the fix fee would be but the call was really good and they seem helpful.

The 2ds is a better device for me since my hands are bigger and even the XL is hard to hold.

Ecto311

gtZafA5l.jpg

Just came back after about a week. Even shipped from them overnight with the game and SD card in the package. Free replacement and it looks/works great. Couldn't believe they replaced it since my dog chewed it off but it was not a problem at all.

dock

I won a Toad 3DS in the competition and traded in my OG 3DS. The new one felt better made, and the dpad no longer 'squeaked' when pressed. I get the impression that they changed something about the 3DS casing in the first six months or so.

DonMigs85

I won a Toad 3DS in the competition and traded in my OG 3DS. The new one felt better made, and the dpad no longer 'squeaked' when pressed. I get the impression that they changed something about the 3DS casing in the first six months or so.

I wonder... They seem to have so many manufacturing variances nowadays.

That's what I'd like to know. It's smaller and seems tighter than on the OG 3DS.

As much as I hate to necrobump, I figured it should go in here.

The pad came off my XL. So yes, this is a thing that can happen.

I wasn't even using it roughly. Just normal wear and tear over two years and one month. (For the record, it popped off while I was playing Link's Awakening DX on the virtual console, so how rough could it possibly be?) I got an extended warranty (sort of) so after some wrangling I got a new unit to do the system transfer, and will later send in my original unit to get money back.

The analog control still works, and I can kinda sorta snap the pad back on but it's very loose. I'd rather not have to use the analog stick without a pad because the stick is kinda small and the edges feel pretty rough. It might feel like you have more control that way, but I imagine my thumb would end up looking like someone's palm after playing Mario Party on the N64.

The underside of the pad had a harder black plastic, cracked in six places, almost equidistant, and it looked like the circle where there was no plastic (where the stick was sitting) had an extra little triangle broken off next to it so the empty circle is now an empty teardrop. I presume it's that triangle that caused the whole thing to loosen and pop.

So there you go. I have no idea why it happened or if it's just something that happens, if it's preventable or not, but XL owners be aware this is not limited to an original 3DS issue.

You can fix it and have it feeling better than ever for the price of a circle pad pro. You just open em both and swap em out, internal hardware and all
That's if your plastic underneath the pad is broken. If its not I'd just deal with no rubber

You can fix it and have it feeling better than ever for the price of a circle pad pro. You just open em both and swap em out, internal hardware and all
That's if your plastic underneath the pad is broken. If its not I'd just deal with no rubber

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that if it happens again in a couple of years.

Yeah I fucked up my brothers pad beyond any hope for conventional repair and was surprised to find it better than new the following day. Used a 3ds xl and a regular CCP.

exfatal

8404940852_07db540d9e_c.jpg

By the way, this happened during a spirited online match of Mario Kart 7.
The d-pad also developed the cracking/chipped paint with regular use. Or maybe I have acid thumb grease.

tales of the abyss 3d? good taste in games my friend. sry about what happened but like many b4 super glue. or try playing with it off and see how its like

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Now is your chance! Glue on something that actually has grip!

Edit: Damn, this shit is old.

deadflower81

Neo Member
Just happened to me, thanks to Smash Bros. :(

The grey rubber on the top of the circle pad of my day-one Black 3DS came off, but luckily the plastic underneath it is perfect without any visible cracks.

Now i don't know what is better to do:

1- Leave the circle pad as it is, without the rubber cover.

2- Try to attach it again with a Loctite super glue (isn't it a bit corrosive?)

Any advice?

This happened to me a while ago. Its a simple fix.

Get a glue stick and put a small drop of glue where the center of the circle pad would rest.

Press the circle pad down firmly and move it around. After that leave the 3ds for about a day or two and you are good to go.

Broke my 3dsXL circle pad with smash about 10 months ago. After I did this I've had no issues since

Alright, it's glued back on and definitely isn't slipping like crazy - essentially feels like it should. Only issue is the small bump I imagine being from the dot of glue that you can feel while using it. Will that go away or am I just picky?

DonMigs85

Alright, it's glued back on and definitely isn't slipping like crazy - essentially feels like it should. Only issue is the small bump I imagine being from the dot of glue that you can feel while using it. Will that go away or am I just picky?
There's actually a tiny circular dimple that should have been aligned with the pad.

Trrzs

Mine, uh... just came off in pieces.

I don't know if glue will help me now.

Don't worry, this happened to me a year ago playing the Smash Bros Demo, I just fixed it with some cyanoacrylate glue and baking soda with very good results. I took pictures of the whole process, if you want, tomorrow I could make a brief tutorial with the pics on imgur. Here's a picture with the final results:

r85TmWf.jpg

Don't worry, this happened to me a year ago playing the Smash Bros Demo, I just fixed it with some cyanoacrylate glue and baking soda with very good results. I took pictures of the whole process, if you want, tomorrow I could make a brief tutorial with the pics on imgur. Here's a picture with the final results:

r85TmWf.jpg

Those are pretty good results! As good as new.... No warranty?

NeoRausch

r85TmWf.jpg

Isn't it missing something?

Trrzs

Those are pretty good results! As good as new.... No warranty?

Yes, they were great results, better than I expected. It worked perfectly until a month ago that my little niece broke it again haha, but I repair it a secodn time. And here in Mexico we don't have warranty directly with Nintendo, so I preferred to fix it on my own.

Isn't it missing something?

I posted that pic because you can appreciate the final results better and see the little pieces of broken plastic glued. It worked great and I just put the rubber back and voilá:

qNNR8AW.jpg

Top Bottom