• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The grey rubber circle pad on my 3DS came off!

Duxxy3

Seriously, the original 3DS was poorly made.

Complain about the size and clarity of the original DS but that thing was a tank.

Lavapotamus

Neo Member
8404940852_07db540d9e_c.jpg

By the way, this happened during a spirited online match of Mario Kart 7.
The d-pad also developed the cracking/chipped paint with regular use. Or maybe I have acid thumb grease.

My aquatic blue 3DS' d-pad is cracking, too :( I don't even use it that often now

After playing a few 3DS games, I realize I hate the stock 3DS pad. Does anyone sell replacement tops?

I'd kill to have something like the new XBone controller grip around the side thingy. That seems really neat.

If you somehow cracked your Dpad that probably means you didn't take care of it very well to begin with.

This doesn't make any sense. The dpad is inside the chassis of the device itself, it's not like a smart phone where you can drop it and destroy the screen easily. Essentially you're implying that they've either dropped the unit with the housing open or have been so recklessly pressing the dpad that it is now breaking as a result. I find both of these things hard to believe

wilflare

is this a thread about 3DS (XL) hardware issues?

my 3DS XL powers off randomly... and now that I am no longer in the States.. it costs $100USD to get it fixed at a local gamestore... some CPU signal issues..

not sure to send it back to NoA.. (which I have to do by sending to a friend in US, have him send to Nintendo, Nintendo repairs and send it to him, and him to me)

:/ sigh

magnetic

The part around the headphone jack isn't just cracked but completely broken as well.

Do you carry the 3DS around in your jeans pocket? I know these things are portables, but they always seemed a bit too fragile for actual unprotected transportation.

is this a thread about 3DS (XL) hardware issues?
:/ sigh

Uhh, so... the shoulder buttons of my 3DS still don't work and it seems that sucking and blowing is no longer sufficient. Do you guys think it'd be okay if I used a can of compressed air, pressed it to the shoulder button and BONEY'd that sucker? Would it work or would it cause even worse damage?

I HAVE TO TAKE ANIMAL CROSSING SCREENSHOT AND OCD REARRANGE ME FE: A UNITS.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
My rubber analog pad dropped off too during my monster hunter session, but i fixed it easily with a little glue

Work as well as before with no problem now

Ecto311

Anyone know a place to buy the rubber part? Our dog some how got ahold of my daughters 2ds and the thumb stick is gone but for the plastic nub under it. Did some googling and theres replacements parts on ebay at good prices but none of them look to have the rubber that is gone.

Rich!

So can the rubber bit be replaced? If so, does anyone sell replacements, possibly with the same texture as the GameCube stick?

Because that would be awesome.

Roto13

This happened to mine last month.

I just plopped it back on and forgot about it. It can twist around under my thumb but IDGAF.

eeeeeh. Call Nintendo. If shit's in warranty they'll fix it right up.

I never had any problems with the circle pad on my OG 3DS; nooo, it was the hinge that decided to fuck up on me, oh and half my buttons. L & R stopped working at one point, and when the screen ribbon finally started to crack underneath the hinge the damn thing would just shut off unpredictably. My current 3DS on the other hand is a fucking beast man. This thing has gone through some shit. I've seen it dropped on concrete. I've seen it get run over by a fucking Avalanche. And of course its only issue is that fucking housing screen scratch problem - and how the FUCK has Nintendo not fixed that yet

fucking half of you at one point or another said:

hey gaf

Princess-bride-image.jpg

that shit is so fetch

DonMigs85

Has this issue been known to affect the 3DS XL? The circle pad design there appears different. For one thing, it's smaller in diameter.

vareon

Has this issue been known to affect the 3DS XL? The circle pad design there appears different. For one thing, it's smaller in diameter.
Mine doesn't feel good anymore. It felt like it can came off anytime. Got it last year, and this is after hundreds of hours of heavy MH3G usage. Last game I played was ALBW and this is where I really feel it.

Thorgal

It came off on my 3DS XL after a few years of use.

To be honest, i find the joystick better now without that stuff

Ecto311

Bump

Anyone know where to get parts for a 2ds thumb pad? Damn dog got ahold of my daughters and ripped it off and there is just a little plastic stud where it was.

clav

Is this a known problem for the 3DS XL and 2DS?

I stopped by a store to check out the 3DS XL once again during lunch, and I noticed this store's demo unit's circle pad was missing. Seems like it broke under use. Just a tiny stub. Not even the circular plastic was on there.

I wonder what is going to happen once Nintendo releases Smash for the 3DS.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is this a known problem for the 3DS XL and 2DS?

I stopped by a store to check out the 3DS XL once again during lunch, and I noticed this store's demo unit's circle pad was missing. Seems like it broke under use.

I wonder what is going to happen once Nintendo releases Smash for the 3DS.
Nice bump. And no, this only seems to occur with really rough usage.

SuperSah

Banned
My Circle Pad is great.

Over 60 hours of KIU, hundreds of SSF4 which requires severe motion and tons of MH3U, with zero signs of breakage.

This is on an OG 3DS, so come at me Smash.

clav

100 hours of Smash-to-dodge Kid Icarus Uprising and 80 hours of Dead or Alive: Dimensions - Circle Pad managed it like a champ. I guess you need to be really rough for the Circle Pad to come off.

My Circle Pad is great.

Over 60 hours of KIU, hundreds of SSF4 which requires severe motion and tons of MH3U, with zero signs of breakage.

This is on an OG 3DS, so come at me Smash.

OK. I might pick up a 2DS soon.

That 3DS XL screen though. However, I bumped up this thread for a reason upon seeing that demo unit.

I thought Nintendo had a reputation for building quality products that stand the test of time.

Been going back and forth because of build qualities.

That 3DS XL screen though. However, I bumped up this thread for a reason upon seeing that demo unit.

I thought Nintendo had a reputation for building quality products that stand the test of time.

I don't feel the 3DS/XL quality is on par with their earlier handhelds. Better than my white DS lite which developed a crack in the hinge and years later proceeded to break in half after dropping it a foot on a tile surface.

Mr-Joker

Banned

You really shouldn't judge a console build quality on a demo unit, they are never treated with the best of care.

clav

I don't feel the 3DS/XL quality is on par with their earlier handhelds. Better than my white DS lite which developed a crack in the hinge and years later proceeded to break in half after dropping it a foot on a tile surface.

My DS Lite has a small crack, which is why I want to lean towards a hingeless device.

We don't see smartphones with hinges any more.

You really shouldn't judge a console build quality on a demo unit, they are never treated with the best of care.

Demo units reveal a lot of things. I'm still trying to find a 2DS demo unit.

npa189

Oh man! I would try a dab of guerrilla glue, if that doesn't work call nintendo and see what they can/will do. That all black 3DS XL is really tempting no?

Top Bottom