• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian top 25 games of 2015

Denton

Soma should be higher and missing Dying Light completely is just shameful. Would put Fallout much lower as well. Other than that, good list.

As an Englishman I don't recognize The Guardian as a fair journalism media outlet.

I don't disagree with this list (it's only someones opinion anyway), but The Guardian are known for pushing agenda instead of fairly covering the news. They'll spin press releases where they should be asking questions to those that put out such things.

I think my only real issues with that list is Tales from the Borderlands over Until Dawn. TftB was a well told story but it's still the same old Telltale formula where they may as well not even bother giving you choices because they don't matter one bit. Whereas I felt Until Dawn used the medium far, far better, didn't run on a shit engine and the story was just as well written.

Otherwise very good list.

banagher

15. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture
tumblr_mtc3hh4XVM1svv6yyo2_500.gif

Sojgat

Rainbow 6, Tomb Raider, and Dying Light should be on there, but that's actually a pretty good list.

Is TTK going to be eligible for GAF GOTY?

geordiemp

Best games =! best sellers. I mena otherwise FIFA 16 would be up there as well.

FIFA is a good game, thankfully the UK market has better tastes than gaming journalists. Luckily most gamers ignore gaming press and their niche tastes and we have a PAL chart

Elandyll

Banned
Something for everybody, and my personal Goty placing 1st... GJ Guardian ;)

Afaik that's the 2nd goty award for BB, after Empire Online.

leeh

No Halo 5? lol.

Good to see Ori on there, absolutely fab platformer. Best one I've played in years.

Withnail

As an Englishman I don't recognize The Guardian as a fair journalism media outlet.

I don't disagree with this list (it's only someones opinion anyway), but The Guardian are known for pushing agenda instead of fairly covering the news. They'll spin press releases where they should be asking questions to those that put out such things.

And as another Englishman I consider the Guardian to be the only decent newspaper in the country.

geordiemp

Not really, its written from an RPG stand point, I like shooters and to me most of those games are still in my backlog waiting to be opened.

Thankfully my gaming tastes align with what is popular in UK.

Sicious

Neo Member
Nice list. Glad to see Beginner's guide here. This list also makes me want to try Soma, i've wishlisted it on Steam some time ago but never bought it.

And as another Englishman I consider the Guardian to be the only decent newspaper in the country.

To be fair, I used to read it on a daily basis. Then I started noticing parts in their news reports that was opinion based rather than factual. I'd rather news was kept factual and not interlaced with opinion.

I also noticed that opinion pieces were spin on press releases, and more often than not, no further actual journalism (like asking questions to the person they are writing about) was ever done.

I hold the Daily Mail and The Guardian in the same contempt.

It's not.

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Critic's choice: 24
Reader's choice: 10

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Critic's choice: 11 (PC Gamer not included on the site yet)
Reader's choice: 0

3. Bloodborne

Critic's choice: 8 (Guardian not included on the site yet)
Reader's choice: 1

3. Fallout 4:

Critic's choice: 8
Reader's choice: 1

5. Life is Strange

Critic's choice: 2

There are various other games with one award apiece as well. (Undertale, Batman, Sunless Sea, Tomb Raider, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Prune, Cibele, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Solid list aside from "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture," which was a slog to play through.

Tapejara

This list serves to remind me that I need to catch up on a lot of games. Lots of great games on that list, most of which I have yet to play.

Just noticed Batman wasn't on the list. It had its share of design issues, but I think it deserves a place in the top 25. Controls were really fluid and predator missions were fun.

KraytarJ

Life is Strange, Undertale, Splatoon. All there, List checks out. Interesting to see someone actually place Monster Hunter, I feel like no one remembers that came out this year. Overall that's a pretty damn good list.

Kssio_Aug

The list is more or less on par with my experience this year.

Sadly, none of those games (except MH4) were that great for me though. A good top 25 imo, but a shame of a list considering the overall quality of it.

Top Bottom