• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian top 25 games of 2015

wig

It's really weird to not see Halo in a lot of these end of the year lists. How the mighty have fallen...

Shari

v07ZRc.gif

Dat Bloodborne

Project Beast, oh how you delivered - well deserved top spot.

giphy.gif

These gifs show the framerate of the game accurately.

It's easily the worst game in the series.

It's not terrible or anything, but I can't respect any GOTY list it's on.

I can understand not including it because the Battank was awful. Every time one of the sections came up, I admittedly groaned. The side missions were terrible for the most part, there weren't any good boss battles, the Arkham Knight reveal was poorly done, the story could've been better and the Batmobile itself was just far too prominent in the game.

However, in retrospect, it's probably in my personal top 10 this year because it still gets a lot right like controls/predator missions/traversal. It didn't live up to the hype in any way, but I have more issues with a couple of the games on the list than I did with Batman.
I would rate it a 6.5/10.

Hanmik

I liked one by the Telegraph better

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/what-to-play/the-telegraph-game-awards-2015/

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:
VIVA SEIFERT in Her Story

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:
The WIitcher III: Wild Hunt

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:
HIDETAKA MIYAZAKI for Bloodborne

Best developer:
FROM SOFTWARE for Bloodborne and Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sin

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.

Sojgat

I can understand not including it because the Battank was awful. Every time one of the sections came up, I admittedly groaned. The side missions were terrible for the most part, there weren't any good boss battles and the Batmobile itself was just far too prominent in the game.

However, in retrospect, it's probably in my personal top 10 this year because it still gets a lot right like controls/predator missions/traversal. It didn't live up to the hype in any way, but I have more issues with a couple of the games on the list than I did with Batman.

I actually had zero problems with the Bat-tank stuff. If you upgraded along the right path it was fine. I love the way the Batmobile controlled, but it just wasn't properly utilized outside of the first few hours of the (mediocre) story.

As you say, the open world side mission designs were terrible, and also super repetitive. Combat and stealth mechanics were built on in clever ways, but actual encounters were significantly dumbed down for both. There weren't enough interior environments, and the ones included were underwhelming. Lack of real boss fights was a terrible decision, and made the game feel rushed and unfinished.
Deathstroke
fight basically being a repeat of a previous tank battle was just insulting. My biggest issue is the lack of a proper challenge mode, and the fact that it's essentially being sold back as DLC (and is still inferior to the modes from all the previous Arkham games).

Arkham Knight is just super disappointing on almost every level.

phanphare

Banned
Splatoon! every list with Splatoon as the highest Nintendo-developed game is alright by me

nice to see MH4U and Xenoblade as well. good list.

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:

Best developer:

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.

Bloodborne deserves best narrative as well. ;)
That's an excellent list!

Like I said, the British media really seems to love it. I predict Bloodborne will be Edge's game of the year as well, as they voted it 4th best game ever and gave it their only 2015 ten.

Geg

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:

Best developer:

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.
So did they like Bloodborne?

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:

Best developer:

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.

Now that's a fair list.

I actually had zero problems with the Bat-tank stuff. If you upgraded along the right path it was fine. I love the way the Batmobile controlled, but it just wasn't properly utilized outside of the first few hours of the (mediocre) story.

As you say, the open world side mission designs were terrible, and also super repetitive. Combat and stealth mechanics were built on in clever ways, but actual encounters were significantly dumbed down for both. There weren't enough interior environments, and the ones included were underwhelming. Lack of real boss fights was a terrible decision, and made the game feel rushed and unfinished.
Deathstroke
fight basically being a repeat of a previous tank battle was just insulting. My biggest issue is the lack of a proper challenge mode, and the fact that it's essentially being sold back as DLC (and is still inferior to the modes from all the previous Arkham games).

i just got the game, been playing for 10 hours straight. i love the batmobile and the tank so far, but your right, the game seems real dumbed down in regards of fist combat and stealth sections, sucks about the boss battles, they were some of the best parts in the batman games. they really do need to make a sequel in the future, the game still has tons of potential with how amazing it controls and the batmobile.

ethomaz

Banned

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:

Best developer:

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.
They nailed it... agree 100%.

sora87

The Guardian gets it right at least.

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:

Best developer:

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.

Wow, Telegraph putting actual dedicated gaming sites to shame with their accuracy.

Molemitts

Pretty strong list.

Best Art Direction:
Bloodborne

Best Sound Design:
Star Wars Battlefront

Best Level Design:
Bloodborne

Best Narrative:
Until Dawn

Best Performance:

Best Game Design:
Bloodborne

Technical achievement:

Best Use of Online:
Bloodborne

Best Independent Game:
Her Story

Best Director:

Best developer:

Best publisher:
DEVOLVER DIGITAL

Game of the Year:

Bloodborne.

I can't believe I agree with The Telegraph on something. (But Undertale should be best narrative and indie.)

Deathstroke

Yes! The lack of great interior environments was annoying. (it's one of my issues with MGSV as well) The story was mediocre, but still better than some games on the list, namely MGSV/Fallout 4.

I never really got too invested in the challenge mode stuff in the Batman games so I'm probably giving them a "pass" on that front, but they should be called out on that for sure. Too many of the challenges are Batmobile-related for my taste.

Arkham Asylum is still far and away my favorite in the series. The series never recaptured the horror-like vibe of the first game, which is weird considering Arkham Knight's antagonist is Scarecrow.

faridmon

Invicible inc.
Good shit!

The only thing that is missing is Sunless Sea and it would be the perfect list

and Blood Bourne staying away from no. 1 spot

Finaj

I wish I could like Bloodborne, but it's a Souls game, which means I have to despise it like all the others >_<

Great aesthetic, gameplay, lore... but the difficulty makes me want to break the disk and never play again.

I wish I could like Bloodborne, but it's a Souls game, which means I have to despise it like all the others >_<

Great aesthetic, gameplay, lore... but the difficulty makes me want to break the disk and never play again.
Is it really that hard ? For me, platformers are harder than every souls game. Also, you can play with other to make it easier.

Finaj

Is it really that hard ? For me, platformers are harder than every souls game. Also, you can play with other to make it easier.

Let me put it this way; Ori and the Blind Forest is a cake walk compared to the pain the Souls games cause me. I want to like them, but they're just not fun for me to play.

i bought dark souls 2 on ps3 and thought it was shit, controls like crap and looks like it, I'm gonna pick bloodborne after i finish batman, the combat looks much better, and faster then dark souls, and the graphics and art style looks million times better to me.

Top Bottom