• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Watching South Sea Alliance showing anti EFSF sentiment makes me sad that there are no Glemy type character in Zeon remnants to actually use the anti EFSF sentiment to their advantage.

If only, the Zeon Remnants allied themselves with the middle East, South Sea Alliance and Africa Continent Rebels, even EFSF would had hard time cracking the rebellion especially when they need tons of resources to rebuild their armies after OYW.

They do end up teaming up with the SSA and are potentially poised to produce multiple Psycho Zakus

Finished Zeta, I love the look of this kit. My only complaint it there is next to no way to get it to be able to hold the Hyper Mega Launcher.

Also heres a look at all my built kits so far. I've been slowly growing my collection since late 2014. I still have Shining Gundam along with X-1 Crossbone. (Also I'll build my action bases eventually so kits like Unicorn are not just standing.)

resized them for you:
N1MdwU3.png
1HXK8nn.png
gJKzX3K.png
SRNUBrZ.png

casiopao

They do end up teaming up with the SSA and are potentially poised to produce multiple Psycho Zakus

Wonderful.^^ Now, if only some Zeon Remnants is smart enough to plant their movement to coincide at same time rather than doing different rebellion movement on each different set of time.T_T

Varuna Tears in 0081
Ops Stardust in 0083
And now, SSA liberation in 0081 i think?

Doing all of this at once would guarantee EFSF to suffer badly there.^^

Can anyone recommend a kit that's easier to deal with in terms of decals/stickers for a beginner? I've finished the initial assembly of that Build Strike and that was easily the most difficult part and I don't think I did it particularly well. Still planning to do some panel lining and possibly some top coat (still need to get some of the latter).

Can anyone recommend a kit that's easier to deal with in terms of decals/stickers for a beginner? I've finished the initial assembly of that Build Strike and that was easily the most difficult part and I don't think I did it particularly well. Still planning to do some panel lining and possibly some top coat (still need to get some of the latter).

What series are you interested in? If any series is fine then look into my suggestions. My suggestions are based off my memory, so they might not be completely accurate.

If you want to stick with high grades then the EZ8 is pretty good, it has some decals but mostly big decals for detail.

I don't think that the Throne Zwei has any stickers/decals besides the eyes and GN reactor. I could be wrong, but I remember it being a straight forward little kit.

The hg Shiden from IBO is a pretty great little kit, but really most of the IBO hg kits are pretty good. The Shiden in particular only has a few tiny foil stickers for details, and they can be ignored or even be replaced with basic paint since their pretty much just black, red, and yellow dots/triangles.

You could also try some of the nongrade 1/100 IBO kits if you want to try something a little​ larger, but still not quite as complex as a master grade. My brother built the Vidar just the other week having no experience with modeling or gunpla.

The correct answer is always either Talgeese I or Turn X.
Is Talgeese easy to build? MG Rezel was a bit nerve wracking with how they designed some key parts. Do I need four hands to put the booster on? I've been leaning towards either a Gouf Custom or Zaku just cause they look simpler to build.

Beth Cyra

Is Talgeese easy to build? MG Rezel was a bit nerve wracking with how they designed some key parts. Do I need four hands to put the booster on? I've been leaning towards either a Gouf Custom or Zaku just cause they look simpler to build.
Extremely simple build on Tall.
Unique as it doesn't over use the GXXX frame from the other Wing suits but it's super easy and simple with only the back pack being anything slightly complicated.

Extremely simple build on Tall.
Unique as it doesn't over use the GXXX frame from the other Wing suits but it's super easy and simple with only the back pack being anything slightly complicated.
And this is the MG? There are no "WTF were they thinking" pieces? Glad it's simple. Maybe it's what I should build before my MG Shenlong...while on the topic how hard is the Shenlong build? I've kept it boxed up after dealing with the Rezel, which is mostly done, just didn't build the shield of all things.

Paltheos

I'm expecting separate releases for Unicorn and Destroy Mode like the HGUC but if it can actually transform that'll be insane. I'd have to see it to believe it.

Hahahaha, hellll no. If it couldn't transform, there would've been no reason for the enhanced HGUC FA Unicorn with the beam javelins and, more importantly, the sticker decals that was released around the time of the RG Sinanju.

No, this is it, man. Bandai's going for the gold. This is going to be a transforming 1/144 Unicorn. God help us.

What series are you interested in? If any series is fine then look into my suggestions. My suggestions are based off my memory, so they might not be completely accurate.

If you want to stick with high grades then the EZ8 is pretty good, it has some decals but mostly big decals for detail.

I don't think that the Throne Zwei has any stickers/decals besides the eyes and GN reactor. I could be wrong, but I remember it being a straight forward little kit.

The hg Shiden from IBO is a pretty great little kit, but really most of the IBO hg kits are pretty good. The Shiden in particular only has a few tiny foil stickers for details, and they can be ignored or even be replaced with basic paint since their pretty much just black, red, and yellow dots/triangles.

You could also try some of the nongrade 1/100 IBO kits if you want to try something a little​ larger, but still not quite as complex as a master grade. My brother built the Vidar just the other week having no experience with modeling or gunpla.

Thank you for the recommendations! I suppose I've been looking more at IBO lately due to its recency. The Vidar is probably my favorite design from the series, so I'll look into that 1/100. Other than that I'm pretty open to anything, though I guess I have a UC bias. I just need more practice with getting decals on properly.

I was looking at the MG Hi-Nu ver. Ka...may take the plunge on that and hope I don't screw it up too badly. The Hi-Nu is definitely up there with my all-time favorite designs.

Thank you for the recommendations! I suppose I've been looking more at IBO lately due to its recency. The Vidar is probably my favorite design from the series, so I'll look into that 1/100. Other than that I'm pretty open to anything, though I guess I have a UC bias. I just need more practice with getting decals on properly.

I was looking at the MG Hi-Nu ver. Ka...may take the plunge on that and hope I don't screw it up too badly. The Hi-Nu is definitely up there with my all-time favorite designs.
Get the HGUC Nu first, practice on some other suits and then take the plunge. I would never want to mess up an expensive model that I love.

NEO0MJ

Get the HGUC Nu first, practice on some other suits and then take the plunge. I would never want to mess up an expensive model that I love.

For snap on model kits I don't think there's a need to buy small gunpla first in order to practice. My second Gunpla was The O and it came out fine. As long as you do some reading and build carefully you're golden.
My first was a 1/144 NG Gundam Aesculapius, and a knock of at that! Still, I was so desperate for model kits at the time that I was OK with it. Didn't even realize until I opened the box and the colors were all wrong in comparison to the box art.

For snap on model kits I don't think there's a need to buy small gunpla first in order to practice. My second Gunpla was The O and it came out fine. As long as you do some reading and build carefully you're golden.
My first was a 1/144 NG Gundam Aesculapius, and a knock of at that! Still, I was so desperate for model kits at the time that I was OK with it. Didn't even realize until I opened the box and the colors were all wrong in comparison to the box art.
True, I don't read the instructions super carefully, which is something I really need to start doing. On the HG Nu, I put the wrong funnels on the first time and had to redo them to get them to connect right. I guess I just assume everybody is going to make my noob errors.

duckroll

Out of all the RGs I have built, I felt the Char Z'Gok had the easiest sticker decals. It's a good balance between looking nice, not being braindead pointless, and still being fairly straightforward and hard to fuck up.

Plus the kit rocks.

my question is will unicorn come with insane RG stickers. i don't see any decals on the unicorn.

Wut? The Unicorn has tons of tiny red and white decals for detailing. It'll definitely have those and be a nightmare at 1/144.

ramyeon

So during my huge binge of classic Gundam series awhile back I hit a wall with Gundam X. Shit was just so boring. I think I have like 10 episodes left but just can't bring myself to watch them.

Might just move on to Turn A Gundam, which I've heard nothing but good things about and have been wanting to get into for awhile now.

Laputa_94

Decided to go straight into building my MG of Shining Gundam. Definitely the fastest build I have done, this is a walk in the park compared to some of my other kits (*cough Full armor *cough). Now I just have a few decals to put on along with the majority of panel lining.

The P-Bandai of Possibility.

Figured it was coming. I'm expecting it to be a new level in grenades, so if it can actually hold together, I'll be impressed.

my question is will unicorn come with insane RG stickers. i don't see any decals on the unicorn.

The MGs have a buttload of decals.

ramyeon

Yooooo. Watched the first two episodes of Turn A and wow! Don't know why I slept on this for so long. The setting and animation are fantastic. Reminds me of 90s Ghibli aesthetically. I have no idea what's going on still in typical Tomino story telling fashion it's a bit all over the place narratively, but it seems like an interesting set up. I'm sold just with the aesthetics and setting alone though, so refreshing after all the drab colours and ugly character designs of Gundam X.

Out of all the RGs I have built, I felt the Char Z'Gok had the easiest sticker decals. It's a good balance between looking nice, not being braindead pointless, and still being fairly straightforward and hard to fuck up.

Plus the kit rocks.

Wut? The Unicorn has tons of tiny red and white decals for detailing. It'll definitely have those and be a nightmare at 1/144.
oh thanks! didn't know that
Yooooo. Watched the first two episodes of Turn A and wow! Don't know why I slept on this for so long. The setting and animation are fantastic. Reminds me of 90s Ghibli aesthetically. I have no idea what's going on still in typical Tomino story telling fashion it's a bit all over the place narratively, but it seems like an interesting set up. I'm sold just with the aesthetics and setting alone though, so refreshing after all the drab colours and ugly character designs of Gundam X.
turn A has a good story i think it's different bc it's written by a westerner.

NEO0MJ

No, Tomino wrote it. A westerner did the mecha designs (Syd Mead iirc).

Yep. Though he didn't design all of them. Still, many of the highlights such as Turn X, Turn A, and Sumo were his designs.
Fun fact, Sumo was actually based on his original draft design for the Turn A but Bandai didn't like how far it strayed from the archtype.

Plus the kit rocks.

Huh, never would have considered the Z'Gok at all before, but that RG version actually looks pretty cool. Think I may just go for that to at least get some experience on an RG build. Thanks for the recommendation!

Huh, never would have considered the Z'Gok at all before, but that RG version actually looks pretty cool. Think I may just go for that to at least get some experience on an RG build. Thanks for the recommendation!
Sounds like a good idea compared to me who almost tried to get is RG start on the RG Sinanju.

AALLx

If you want something that's a bit easy to build, slightly cheap (compared to other MGs), and has very strong joints, get this guy

My biggest issue with the IBO 1/100 line is the weak joints, especially pelvis. You might want to consider super gluing some of the joints to strengthen them.

crossposting:
Hey gundamGAF,

i finished rearranging my display table, it used to be gundams until last night:
f7Th545l.png

i converted it into a VF-1 display table =)
KJ1VK3th.png

Paltheos

MG Buster ordered. Honestly it's the one I was always least interested in among the initial 5 Gundams from SEED, but maybe it'll surprise me.

Apparently almost everyone who's ever built the thing has felt the same way and walked away loving it after building this kit, so hey there's that.

Top Bottom