• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo World Championship Finals | 24th - 26th March, 2017

jem0208

C7aSGa1V4AAVGSF.jpg:large

What is it?
The HWC finals are where the 12 best Halo 5 teams in the world gather to compete for a share of a $1'000'000 prize pool and the chance to become a Halo World Champion.

When is it?
The tournament begins with group play this Friday, 24th of March, at 10am PT (5pm GMT). It will run throughout the weekend culminating in the Grand Finals on Sunday evening.

Where is it?
The action will take place at ESL Campus in Burbank, CA. However, you can watch the main stream live at twitch.tv/Halo, beam.pro/Halo, facebook.com/Halo, or esl.twitter.com. There will also be a side stream at twitch.tv/ESL_Halo and facebook.com/ESLHalo.

Format
Group Stage
  • Round-robin group stage featuring four groups each consisting of three teams
  • The top two teams with the best record in each group begin in Winners Round 1 of the Double Elimination Bracket
  • The one team with the worst record in each group begin in Loser’s Round 1 of the Double Elimination Bracket
  • Best of 5 matches
Bracket Stage
  • 12-team double elimination bracket
  • 8 teams starting in Winners Bracket
  • 4 teams starting in Losers Bracket
  • Best of 7 matches

Bracket:
http://pro.eslgaming.com/halo/worldchampionship/standings/

Teams

Schedule
Results from Friday available here: http://pro.eslgaming.com/halo/worldchampionship/schedule/#?matchday=1

Saturday - Main stream:
  • 10:00 PT - WB Semis: Str8 vs Liquid
  • 11:45 PT - LB Round 1: Supremacy vs EnVyUs
  • 13:30 PT - LB Round 1: London Conspiracy vs Crowd Pleasers
  • 15:15 PT - LB Round 2: x vs y
  • 17:00 PT - LB Quarterfinals: x vs y
  • 16:45 PT - WB Finals: x vs y

Saturday - Bravo stream:
  • 10:00 PT - WB Semis: Optic vs Luminosity
  • 11:45 PT - LB Round 1: Immunity vs FAB
  • 13:30 PT - LB Round 1: SoaR vs Splyce
  • 15:15 PT - LB Round 2: x vs y
  • 17:00 PT - LB Quarterfinals: x vs y

C7nxJ-iVwAAzUPJ.jpg

Links
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/esports
Finals preview. - Includes extra info such as team composition, full schedule and prize pool distribution.
Trailer.
@Halo
@HCS
@ESLHalo

6RNt0R5.gif

BizzyBum

I feel this will be much better than last year's Worlds.

Optic (old CLG) are still the favorite but many other teams have caught up to them so they are not the unbeatable force they were at the start of Halo 5.

Both Envyus and Liquid have a strong chance to win it all.

These tournaments are always one sided because the North American teams are head and shoulders better than the other International teams.

IDK how they choose who qualifies and who doesn't.

Somnia

These tournaments are always one sided because the North American teams are head and shoulders better than the other International teams.

It's that way with a lot of games, but sometimes flipped to be in Korea's favor or China's, etc.

Just how it is with the competitive scene.

Watched a few of the qualifiers and they have a pretty good thing going on with it right now. Looking forward to tuning into it this weekend then.

jem0208

Can't wait! Go Str8

edit: Only suggestion for the OP would be team rosters listed, Jem. Looks great!
I started doing that but the post got really, really long so I decided against it.

Each region had separate qualifiers consisting of a string of online tournaments and LANs.

In NA the top 6 teams of the Las Vegas Qualifers LAN got to worlds and then a 7th team was determined by the winner of the online last chance qualifier.

The EU was similar however only the top 3 teams make it worlds.

In LATAM and ANZ only the top team makes it.

I haven't watched much this season, but I am excited for this!!

Also the free reqs are nice, almost done with them!!!

Fuck Cratos, but go Naded!

Madness

They cut down a lot of the NA teams this time as well so you'll see fewer of the well known pros play. I agree. People like to hype up the 'World' aspect of the tournament. But it is just a word. The reality is, aside from maybe 1 UK team, no one else will even really challenge. Last HWC, aside from Epsilon featuring Jimbo and the Buk twins, every other non-NA team was slaughtered. Let's see how it is this weekend though. As a HCS fan, I am more excited to continue playing Mass Effect than watching HWC for some reason...

jem0208

They cut down a lot of the NA teams this time as well so you'll see fewer of the well known pros play. I agree. People like to hype up the 'World' aspect of the tournament. But it is just a word. The reality is, aside from maybe 1 UK team, no one else will even really challenge. Last HWC, aside from Epsilon featuring Jimbo and the Buk twins, every other non-NA team was slaughtered. Let's see how it is this weekend though. As a HCS fan, I am more excited to continue playing Mass Effect than watching HWC for some reason...

You say that but Immunity are looking pretty damn good. They beat Splyce 7-6 in scims last night and took 3 games off of EnVy the other day. I could see them making it out of pools above Splyce.

We all know non NA teams aren't as strong, but you need other regions representing to support competitive halo in those parts of the world... In Australia and New Zealand you wouldn't have a scene without this imo, nobody else is running tournaments afaik.

You say that but Immunity are looking pretty damn good. They beat Splyce 7-6 in scims last night and took 3 games off of EnVy the other day. I could see them making it out of pools above Splyce.

Wow, that's pretty interesting.
And FAB is the number 1 EU team yeah, those guys are in a favourable pool, they could make it through.

jem0208

Cool ESPN article about Victory X:

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/18978409/halo-victory-x-had-everything-last-seven-years

Apparently this is his 61st major event. That's insane.

Wow, that's pretty interesting.
And FAB is the number 1 EU team yeah?
Yup, they're the favourite out of the international teams. I think if they match up against the right team in the brackets they could make it higher than top 8 though. I could see them beating Splyce or Luminosity.

Jaraghan

Wait did Naded not make it to Worlds? He is on team Panda, no?

Edit: nevermind. They changed from Panda to Crowd Pleasers. Lets go Naded!!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Already informed the wife to vacate the house, it's a halo weekend.

Hoping for LG to show up, but they haven't scrimmed like at all recently. Expecting top 8.

jem0208

Splyce have been putting in the work today, 3 full scrims:

http://www.halodatahive.com

Managed to beat Crowd Pleasers 9-4 as well...

Already informed the wife to vacate the house, it's a halo weekend.

Hoping for LG to show up, but they haven't scrimmed like at all recently. Expecting top 8.
Ninja had an H1Z1 tourney over the weekend, not sure why they haven't scrimmed since. Not a good sign imo. I'm rooting for LG to do well.
Cratos is a weird dude...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Splyce have been putting in the work today, 3 full scrims:

http://www.halodatahive.com

Managed to beat Crowd Pleasers 9-4 as well...

Ninja had an H1Z1 tourney over the weekend, not sure why they haven't scrimmed since. Not a good sign imo. I'm rooting for LG to do well.

Cratos is a weird dude...

Yeah, saw that. But I've seen him on twitch a few times this week streaming h1z1 and as you said, no luminosity streams. They had a rough start as a team and only somewhat recently really started to click. Hope that progress isn't erased after this break of sorts.

Right during March Madness, phooey. I know they already added the HCS Req pack, but will there be any REQs available just for the actual tourney weekend?

BizzyBum

Right during March Madness, phooey. I know they already added the HCS Req pack, but will there be any REQs available just for the actual tourney weekend?

They give out codes for free gold packs during the streams at random times. If you can't watch the streams keep checking the Halo 5 OT as people post the codes but they usually expire within 5 minutes so you need to be quick.

Yeah I think OG has this. But I am rooting for Envyous. Snipedown was a bit slacking last few games with the sniper rifle. Pistola was amazing.

Also if you can watch this on Beam.pro. Quality is better and fewer people watching makes for a better chat.

jem0208

Updated OP with Saturday and Sunday schedules.

Looks like they're trying their hardest to avoid a Championship monday situation again this time.

belushy

Banned
Hoping Status Quo can win, but Instinct has been going off. I also can't see Warriors or Triggers Down beating Believe The Hype in their pool.

belushy

Banned
Wonder if there will be future announcements at some point this weekend. We know about Dreamhack obviously, but not if the pro league format will change (still hoping for 10 teams) or anything for the am scene.

brawly

Tsquared is playing again? Guess commentating wasn't enough for good old Tom.

Might give this a watch. Loved watching Halo 2/Halo 3 MLG and I still recognize some faces.

Top Bottom