• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo World Championship Finals | 24th - 26th March, 2017

Madness

Huke Skywalker really really shouldn't revert back to call of duty

Why not? It is clear as crystal how poorly this league run. Like Formal and Enable and others he will get 10x the sponsorships, exposure, fans and viewers. He is too good to be tied down to a second rate eSports league. And yet he is the best young Halo player since Ogre2.

belushy

Banned
If Huke wants to make more money, definitely go back to COD. He'll be on a top team in weeks. I hope he doesn't, though.

nomis

Why not? It is clear as crystal how poorly this league run. Like Formal and Enable and others he will get 10x the sponsorships, exposure, fans and viewers. He is too good to be tied down to a second rate eSports league. And yet he is the best young Halo player since Ogre2.

For selfish reasons on my part

He's exciting to watch in Halo 5 and by comparison CoD has terrible mechanics. If he's smart and wants money, yeah he should transition back though.

stay gold

I wonder if CoD going back to botg will affect Huke's decision at all. It was AW where he made his name right? A lot of the young players like Huke and Shottzy set themselves apart with crazy mastery of movement abilities.

jem0208

I don't know if Huke will leave. He's on a top 2 team at the moment in a game with massive prizepools.

There's no guarantee that he would get on as good a team if he moved back to CoD.

Madness

I don't know if Huke will leave. He's on a top 2 team at the moment in a game with massive prizepools.

There's no guarantee that he would get on as good a team if he moved back to CoD.

True. But Snip3down has hinted the same. It is inevitable Huke leaves. He may try the Ninja route of juggling two games. Infinite Warfare is garbage, so we will definitely at least see Huke for Pro League with Halo while he can still make some cash, but by November as the new CoD releases, I can see him shift away. He has the chops and friends from CoD still awaiting his return that teams will give him a shot. His reflexes and game ability means like Formal and Enable he'll be good within a small amount of time. It sucks because like I said, best young player I have seen since Ogre twins and especially Ogre2 to burst on the scene and play at such a consistent high level.

Trup1aya

Id love for him to stay, and the prize pools might be persuasive. But the sponsorship and streaming opportunities from COD might be more persuasive.

jem0208

Id love for him to stay, and the prize pools might be persuasive. But the sponsorship and streaming opportunities from COD might be more persuasive.
I dunno.

I hope he sticks around. I think being on a top 2 team which is definitely within striking distance of optic is a pretty big incentive as well.

On another note, I was thinking we should have a general HCS thread for pro league and scrims etc. Anyone else agree? It's been quite nice seeing a few people who aren't HaloGAF regulars talking about it here.

Trup1aya

I dunno.

I hope he sticks around. I think being on a top 2 team which is definitely within striking distance of optic is a pretty big incentive as well.

On another note, I was thinking we should have a general HCS thread for pro league and scrims etc. Anyone else agree? It's been quite nice seeing a few people who aren't HaloGAF regulars talking about it here.

Probably wouldn't hurt to make it more visible. Do other
Esports scenes have dedicated threads?

What do other leagues do that so significantly better?

Trup1aya

What do other leagues do that so significantly better?

Halo5 got off on the wrong foot by focusing to heavy on online competition and completely segregating 8 "pro" teams from everyone else at events. Only 2 AM teams would ever get to compete against pros per season, so they never get a chance to push themselves.

Then when they 343 decided to mix in LANs, the prize pools were tiny, the production schedule and formats were terrible, and again segmented everyone from the top 8 teams until the last day- No opportunities to make it into poolplay and get Fridays full days of high level competition

The online pro league is hampered by technical issues on 343s end and extreme incompetence from esl when it comes to handling ethics and rules violations. ESL/343 has also be horrible when it comes to securing venues, providing key logistical details, announcing dates and selling tickets in advance.

The entire Worlds qualification season was grossly unfair to anyone who didn't make it into esls pro league. Every event systematically stacked the deck against top AMs .

I can't think of anything hcs does that other leagues would want to emulate.

Halo5 got off on the wrong foot by focusing to heavy on online competition and completely segregating 8 "pro" teams from everyone else at events. Only 2 AM teams would ever get to compete against pros per season, so they never get a chance to push themselves.

Then when they 343 decided to mix in LANs, the prize pools were tiny, the production schedule and formats were terrible, and again segmented everyone from the top 8 teams until the last day- No opportunities to make it into poolplay and get Fridays full days of high level competition

The online pro league is hampered by technical issues on 343s end and extreme incompetence from esl when it comes to handling ethics and rules violations. ESL/343 has also be horrible when it comes to securing venues, providing key logistical details, announcing dates and selling tickets in advance.

The entire Worlds qualification season was grossly unfair to anyone who didn't make it into esls pro league. Every event systematically stacked the deck against top AMs .

I can't think of anything hcs does that other leagues would want to emulate.

All I can do is sigh, was just looking at some GoW stuff and it seems to be in a much better hands with MLG. However, that is a discussion for another thread.

Trup1aya

All I can do is sigh, was just looking at some GoW stuff and it seems to be in a much better hands with MLG. However, that is a discussion for another thread.

Its staggering how healthy gears' competitive scene is when you now how much bigger the Halo franchise is. It doesn't make any sense. Halo should be bigger in every metric, but they run pretty much neck and neck, with GoW surpassing halo in some ways.

-For example, hwc qualifier LANs struggled top 20k viewers on twitch. Halo online pro league struggles for 8k. GoW's online 'fight night' pulled 20k.

Its all because TCs & MLGs approach is about building a community, while HCS has been about picking favorites.

It's very telling when Gears has more esports orgs investing than halo does. Also, why does Gears have all team skins available for purchase while 343 drip feeds them, and 2 of the teams they released skins for have since dropped out of Halo? Its Cray.

Its staggering how healthy gears' competitive scene is when you now how much bigger the Halo franchise is. It doesn't make any sense. Halo should be bigger in every metric, but they run pretty much neck and neck, with GoW surpassing halo in some ways.

-For example, hwc qualifier LANs struggled top 20k viewers on twitch. Halo online pro league struggles for 8k. GoW's online 'fight night' pulled 20k.

Its all because TCs & MLGs approach is about building a community, while HCS has been about picking favorites.

It's very telling when Gears has more esports orgs investing than halo does. Also, why does Gears have all team skins available for purchase while 343 drip feeds them, and 2 of the teams they released skins for have since dropped out of Halo? Its Cray.

Man this is depressing. So why doesn't halo just go back to mlg?

343 what the fuck are you guys doing?? I saw like 50k people on twitch watching, you have to put on a better show than that.

If halo dies, I'll know who to blame.

When man, gears is looking alright, looking at their esport page had me shock, had no idea how good it's looking. Which to say the least is great, I'm also a gears fan as well.

Man this is depressing. So why doesn't halo just go back to mlg?

343 what the fuck are you guys doing?? I saw like 50k people on twitch watching, you have to put on a better show than that.

If halo dies, I'll know who to blame.

Actually it reached 71.3k on twitch...Not sure about other avenues, but that's a decent amount of eyes to see things they won't forget. Also not sure why they can't go back to MLG, I'm sure might be a contract or something maybe?

Anyway, overall the matches were clutch for the most part imagine how hype it would of been with a nice big crowd of passionate halo fans, ah!

Will be looking to see if ESL or 343i have anything to say, I'm expecting not. Hopefully they take the criticism and handle better next time...

When man, gears is looking alright, looking at their esport page had me shock, had no idea how good it's looking. Which to say the least is great, I'm also a gears fan as well.

Actually it reached 71.3k on twitch...Not sure about other avenues, but that's a decent amount of eyes to see things they won't forget. Also not sure why they can't go back to MLG, I'm sure might be a contract or something maybe?

Anyway, overall the matches were clutch for the most part imagine how hype it would of been with a nice big crowd of passionate halo fans, ah!

Will be looking to see if ESL or 343i have anything to say, I'm expecting not. Hopefully they take the criticism and handle better next time...

yeah the matches were good on twitch, but if youre there and its underwhelming, that kinda sucks.

Trup1aya

Here's the venue for the upcoming gears tournament.
TXJeoWl.jpg

This game generates less money that halo and its esports scene had never been quite as popular...

So they couldn't afford an overflow tent or balloons

Madness

For selfish reasons on my part

He's exciting to watch in Halo 5 and by comparison CoD has terrible mechanics. If he's smart and wants money, yeah he should transition back though.

Just a heads up, Huke was running 8's with Formal and whatnot. He has been playing CoD a lot more. With World War II coming, I am certain he tries his hand at CoD as soon as he hits 18. Hopefully we get some nice Pro League summer and fall finals before that. Maybe he can try and do both for a bit. Halo 5 meta won't change, pretty much has the game down.

Top Bottom