• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hate for Carbs

velociraptor

Maybe, but do you think 3000 calories of carrots and steak is processed in the same as 3000 calories Snickers and potato chips?

Not only will you gain weight faster on the Snickers and chips, you will probably develop diabetes pretty quickly. That won't happen with steak and carrots.

I'm just pointing out that simply counting calories is useless for overall health and weight. I think it's useless in general since our bodies don't actually burn anything. If they did we would be on fire.
Citation needed.

RM8

I just had corn pizza and fries for dinner, lol. Earlier today I had a big beef and rice bowl. I'm almost 30 years old and I remain borderline underweight despite loving and mostly eating carbs :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If you have any doubts about a ketogenic diet and its benefits all you have to do is try it out yourself. Get your blood work done before you switch over and compare those results to blood work after you are in ketosis for a month or two.

h1nch

Calories in vs. Calories out is all that matters in terms of weightloss.

However carbs are not very satiating(sp?) and don't have the nutritional benefits of protein or veggies.

So if you need a lazy simple way to try and eat healthier carbs are where to cut.

I 100% disagree. I lived by this rule for years and never saw meaningful results. In my experience, practicing cal in / cal out as technique to lose weight will result in feeling hungry all the time. It's not *just* calories, but what kind of calories you take in.

The Google talk I posted on the previous page discusses this, starting at 24:45 - https://youtu.be/M6vpFV6Wkl4?t=24m45s

Try different diets and use the one the optimizes you're mood or body. For one it high carb for others it's low carb.

I know I feel like shit on high carb vs low carb diet. But sometimes I like to eat that ice cream or enjoy a ice cold beer on a sunny day.

ChryZ

Carbs are cheap and most people consume too much of them without the means to apply the energy surplus. They get fat, start a diet, cut out the carbs and get results. Revelation galore: "omg, carbs made me fat".

conpfreak

Carbs are cheap and most people consume too much of them without the means to apply the energy surplus. They get fat, start a diet, cut out the carbs and get results. Revelation galore: "omg, carbs made me fat".

This. And I still haven't seen any substantial evidence in this thread about what "excessive" carbs is and how having carbs in your diet eventually leads to type-2 diabetes. I get it, keto works for many, but pushing narratives about carbs making people fat and diseased without proper context is irresponsible.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This. And I still haven't seen any substantial evidence in this thread about what "excessive" carbs is and how having carbs in your diet eventually leads to type-2 diabetes. I get it, keto works for many, but pushing narratives about carbs making people fat and diseased without proper context is irresponsible.

Go on a ketogenic diet for a month. Compare blood work after to blood work before.

From what I understood the muscles can store about 200 grams of glucose and the liver can store about 70 grams of glucose.
A standard western diet is quickly going over that storage so excess glucose needs to be stored in fat cells.
But I have not looked into it that much too be sure.

Google is your friend. There's plenty of evidence readily available.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Well, you obviously haven't sought it out. Not sure why you expect the people in this thread to lay it all out for you.

McLovin

Hey man people are different. I prefer a low carb diet over a regular one because when I eat carbs I get hungry again later. Like no matter how much I eat. I could easily eat 5-6000 calories and go to sleep hungry as fuck. Where if I eat low carb I'll eat 1500 and be full. It probably has to do with genetics. If your hungry all the time and way overweight it might be the carbs. If you're not that much overweight and are just over eating then its probably not the carbs. Also I wouldn't shun all carbs(low glysemic ones are ok) But processed sugar carbs are straight up poison. Try not eating any sugar for a month and see how your body responds. I had nights that were where I would wake up from a food nightmare in a cold sweat. It all stopped like after 6 weeks. It was ultimately good for me though because then I could do things like eat one piece of candy and stop, before I would eat the whole bag uncontrollably.

Vice

Most of the junky calories people get are carb-loaded. When I looked at going low-carb it mostly eliminated all the junk, sweet beverages and easy to eat filler food (bread, rice, potatoes, etc.) There are a lot of quality carbs people can eat though, but the fun ones are pretty poor nutritionally. Imo.

I fully recommend a no carb diet to anyone looking to lose weight without a medical condition, not because I think carbs are unhealthy but because many of the foods that are unhealthy are also carb heavy, and going no carb helps change your palette. I think slowly reintroducing carbs via healthy foods is a better route. My taste palette changed tremendously after doing a ketogenic diet for a few months.

Septimius

To reply generally to the things going on in this thread, and to reply to OP.

The "western diet" of the modern world has started leaning heavy on carbs and fats. Asian diet leans on carbs and protein. Mediterranean diet is heavy on protein and fat. Both the typical Asian and Mediterranean diets seem to give less obesity. The easy answer to this is the metabolic process of gaining fat. For your fat cells to open, you need insulin. For insulin to be released, you need carbs. If you primarily eat carbs and protein, fat is missing. If you eat protein and fat, carbs is missing. Going super-low carb essentially makes it virtually impossible for the body to gain fat. There's process called neoglucogenesis wherein proteins are converted to glucose. However, that process demands quite some energy. This means the low carb diet has some merit to it. The issue is that this can affect your brain's ability to perform. Some studies suggest that short term memory is affect, while atkins.com refutes this as being the transitional period to using ketones as fuel.

So, why cut out carbs? Well, it essentially cuts out all trash food. Try getting disgustingly full when you can't eat bread, chocolate or chips. You prevent fat gain, by limiting insulin in your bloodstream. You are also reverting if your body is starting to get insensitive to insulin. Certain stages of diabetes has been shown to be reversible, given a healthy diet. As such, it's an effective way to cut out crap from your life.

But, carbs themselves do not lead to diabetes. That's traditional carbs. Whole grain foods. That's carbs that sustains and fuel you. Have you seen a sugar cane? There's basically no sugar in one. It's all just fiber. The more refined the carbs are, the more dangerous they are to your body. Having a carb-heavy diet in today's society likely means eating a lot of flour that's as close to sugar as you can get it. You may order the bread that looks "brown and healthy" at the deli. Wasn't Subway's "whole grain sub" basically shown to be the least healthy one? It's a minefield of enriched flours and dodgy marketing. It's likely not wholesome, full of complex carbs. What's even worse is that you're likely eating a lot of sugar.

And sugar is really the enemy that's often used interchangeably with "carbs" in this thread, and sugar is no good. There's a good book called "Suicide by Sugar" that I'd recommend. It goes to show just how sugar fucks up your body. It shows how it ruins mineral interconnected processes of the body. Even worse, sugar in the US likely also means a lot of HFCS, where the HF stands for High Fructose. Robert Lustig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8zpM7rd2UU) has some incredible light to shine on just how fucked up fructose is. You know how drinking destroys your liver? And how you say that the liver is the filtering system of the body? A substance that only the liver can process is referred to as a poison. Fructose can only be processed by the liver. Even ethanol can be used by cells in your body.

For those saying it's an excuse for lazy people. To you I say fuck you. That's a stupid and ignorant view to take. Sugar is addictive as hell. You can't blame people individually for the health epidemic hitting us. The reason why people were leaner in the 60s wasn't because we weren't as lazy. The genetics were the same. People were just as lazy. We just didn't have that much crap food around us. Now food conglomerates are spending billions annually to ensure that people keep eating their crap food. They keep finding new ways to set you up for failure, and people are told they can stop being fat if they just stop being lazy. If they choose low carb to change their diet, they are actively doing something. Can't that be applauded? That's actually doing something about the situation. What more would you want?

HeelPower

if you're talking about just getting your weight down sure. obviously eating less will help with that. but even then i think people worry too much about what diet plan to use rather than just simple calorie math

I found that changing the kinds of food that I eat helped me a lot more than trying to eat less of my old terrible diet.

I think picking better options goes a lot farther than calorie math which often ends up making people hungry and frustrated.

To reply generally to the things going on in this thread, and to reply to OP.

The "western diet" of the modern world has started leaning heavy on carbs and fats. Asian diet leans on carbs and protein. Mediterranean diet is heavy on protein and fat. Both the typical Asian and Mediterranean diets seem to give less obesity. The easy answer to this is the metabolic process of gaining fat. For your fat cells to open, you need insulin. For insulin to be released, you need carbs. If you primarily eat carbs and protein, fat is missing. If you eat protein and fat, carbs is missing. Going super-low carb essentially makes it virtually impossible for the body to gain fat. There's process called neoglucogenesis wherein proteins are converted to glucose. However, that process demands quite some energy. This means the low carb diet has some merit to it. The issue is that this can affect your brain's ability to perform. Some studies suggest that short term memory is affect, while atkins.com refutes this as being the transitional period to using ketones as fuel.

So, why cut out carbs? Well, it essentially cuts out all trash food. Try getting disgustingly full when you can't eat bread, chocolate or chips. You prevent fat gain, by limiting insulin in your bloodstream. You are also reverting if your body is starting to get insensitive to insulin. Certain stages of diabetes has been shown to be reversible, given a healthy diet. As such, it's an effective way to cut out crap from your life.

But, carbs themselves do not lead to diabetes. That's traditional carbs. Whole grain foods. That's carbs that sustains and fuel you. Have you seen a sugar cane? There's basically no sugar in one. It's all just fiber. The more refined the carbs are, the more dangerous they are to your body. Having a carb-heavy diet in today's society likely means eating a lot of flour that's as close to sugar as you can get it. You may order the bread that looks "brown and healthy" at the deli. Wasn't Subway's "whole grain sub" basically shown to be the least healthy one? It's a minefield of enriched flours and dodgy marketing. It's likely not wholesome, full of complex carbs. What's even worse is that you're likely eating a lot of sugar.

And sugar is really the enemy that's often used interchangeably with "carbs" in this thread, and sugar is no good. There's a good book called "Suicide by Sugar" that I'd recommend. It goes to show just how sugar fucks up your body. It shows how it ruins mineral interconnected processes of the body. Even worse, sugar in the US likely also means a lot of HFCS, where the HF stands for High Fructose. Robert Lustig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8zpM7rd2UU) has some incredible light to shine on just how fucked up fructose is. You know how drinking destroys your liver? And how you say that the liver is the filtering system of the body? A substance that only the liver can process is referred to as a poison. Fructose can only be processed by the liver. Even ethanol can be used by cells in your body.

For those saying it's an excuse for lazy people. To you I say fuck you. That's a stupid and ignorant view to take. Sugar is addictive as hell. You can't blame people individually for the health epidemic hitting us. The reason why people were leaner in the 60s wasn't because we weren't as lazy. The genetics were the same. People were just as lazy. We just didn't have that much crap food around us. Now food conglomerates are spending billions annually to ensure that people keep eating their crap food. They keep finding new ways to set you up for failure, and people are told they can stop being fat if they just stop being lazy. If they choose low carb to change their diet, they are actively doing something. Can't that be applauded? That's actually doing something about the situation. What more would you want?

Well said.

Over the past year I have developed a hatred for "big sugar", and I am still trying to kick my addiction. I am not overweight but I have just started a keto diet in hopes that I will change my food tastes. My girlfriend is doing it with me so hopefully we can keep each other strong lol

IceCold

If you have any doubts about a ketogenic diet and its benefits all you have to do is try it out yourself. Get your blood work done before you switch over and compare those results to blood work after you are in ketosis for a month or two.

Yup, everything else is moot. I have first hand proof of it working and know people that reversed their pre-diabetic diagnosis. People are too caught up with reading crap on the internet and too skeptical.

Just.do.it.

1-3 months and you'll see the difference. If it doesn't work, you won't die, and you can come back in this thread and bitch to keto peeps about how they are all wrong and you're right. And if it works, you'll be healthier and your doctor will be happy and confused. Win-win.

But from my experience it's amazing how eating lard, butter, coconut oil, and eggs gives you a better blood work than people eating carbs and even vegetarians. That's all the proof I need ✌️

I 100% disagree. I lived by this rule for years and never saw meaningful results. In my experience, practicing cal in / cal out as technique to lose weight will result in feeling hungry all the time. It's not *just* calories, but what kind of calories you take in.

The Google talk I posted on the previous page discusses this, starting at 24:45 - https://youtu.be/M6vpFV6Wkl4?t=24m45s

Well yeah, eating a bowl of candy is not gonna be as filling as eating a bowl of oatmeal. In my experience, meticulously counting calories always results in weight loss. Even if I log my shitty large Jack-in-the-box 1,500 calorie meal and factor it in to my weight loss routine, I still lose weight. Yeah high density snacks aren't filling but that's not what the argument is. You'll feel hungry eating 5 candy bars for the entire day but it would still be possible to lose weight on it.

Overall, if a specific diet is too hard, be it keto, low-carb, w/e, just do the old fashioned way. Properly portion your meals, count your calories, and exercise regularly. It's not rocket science.

Top Bottom