• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Wichu

I like how it somehow appeared in the mobile games list.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. If anything, it should be on the 3DS list. It does have a Japanese iOS release, but that came out in 2015; the Japanese 3DS port was 2016, though.

EDIT: It is actually on the 3DS list, but didn't get enough points to chart.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Came across a good article discussing the central themes of Fata Morgana:(spoilers obviously) I think it's this powerful message of
"letting go of hatred and moving on doesn't necessarily equate to forgiveness"
that ultimately propelled Fata into my list of favorite fictional works. More often than not fiction tends to glorify
forgiveness
too much.

Thanks for the read mate. That was pretty nice.

Lime

Damn, just finished this after binging it for 3 days. It was a really good story that I rarely see in games. I'll have more thoughts on it later, but for now, I'm just digesting it.

Wark

This thread made me remember that I still gotta finish this game up. I was enjoying the story a lot in this game and wasn't like I got bored of it or anything; I only stopped playing it because my personal life got a little busy for a bit. And then once things eased up, Final Fantasy XV came out and stole what little free time I had.

Once I finish Resident Evil 7 up, I'll restart this game to refresh my memory and get me back into the mood of the story.

Guess I will be posting here now.

Why is the main ost track so good?

I seriously don't know, honestly. Just about the only thing this game leaves unclear haha.

Takaki Moriya's on Twitter and he's great (he found a tweet I made about him and thanked me a month later after I tweeted it, haha)

Usobuko

Banned
How many choices do I get to make?

I'm done with the first 2 chapters and more than the twist, I like how it manage to touch on its themes on a sufficient depth level that I appreciate.

How many choices do I get to make?

I'm done with the first 2 chapters and more than the twist, I like how it manage to touch on its themes on a sufficient depth level that I appreciate.
Most of the choices come later on, they are mostly binary choices that go to a bad end immediately if you pick the wrong one

Usobuko

Banned
Finished chapter 3, the twist was kinda obvious and I understand the motivation of each character.

What gets me for tragedy is that it's even more agonizing when it's within one's capacity avoid them. Kinda resonate in the current state of my life now.

Vazra

Finished chapter 3, the twist was kinda obvious and I understand the motivation of each character.

What gets me for tragedy is that it's even more agonizing when it's within one's capacity avoid them. Kinda resonate in the current state of my life now.
The earlier chapters can be a bit predictable but they are IMO a small fraction of what is about to come in the game and work more as set ups for future events. Hope you keep enjoying the game and posting impressions mate.

Knurek

Looking forward to reaction gifs whenever you're done with chapter 5.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
With the exception of ch2 going a bit long, I really enjoyed the early chapters. I could've read short story after short story until the end of time if they were all of that quality.

With the exception of ch2 going a bit long, I really enjoyed the early chapters. I could've read short story after short story until the end of time if they were all of that quality.

Agreed! The only qualm I have with the first half of the game is that perhaps the first chapter was a bit late to ramp up, but then again that's the reason it's so effective in the first place.

So yeah, pitch-perfect pacing. :p

SerRodrik

i completed the first door and it didn't really clicked with me. does it get better, should i go on?

I would say the doors continue to get better as they go on. At the very least, it should become obvious very quickly that the second door has a much different tone from the first.

BTA

I need to sleep, this game is consuming my free time like a demanding wife. Just a little more and I'll reach the end.

This Cicio version for the Vita trailer was terrific too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5JRsH3g6wY&feature=youtu.be

Oh dang, I hadn't heard that version before.

Still can't wait for Requiem; I forget if I posted here again upon finishing but this ended up being one of my favorite games of last year.
Still need to check out that prologue though, I think?

Usobuko

Banned
Final Chapter finally, too bad I only have time tmr.

I need to see the connection between the white haired girl and
morgana
. Please don't disappoint.

Usobuko

Banned
Finish the game, reach the final ending, ending 8. Mild spoilers ahead!

I quite like the first few stories not just because they were short and concise. What makes the stories powerful are the thematic insights at the end of each chapter. From the Mell who offered unconditional love in return for his desire to be loved, to the beast who admires the tranquility peace brings yet unable to suppress his urges to kill at times. These are fairly unconventional themes I encounter, there are nothing more interesting than to examine human's flaws that so many can relate or at least empathize with.

By chapter 4 and 5, you get the sense of an overarching story where bits and pieces of the puzzle, everything will come along eventually. Michel's intersex story and ultimately letting go of hatred at the last chapter would be rather hard to pull off but the game still manage to handle it convincingly and maturely. It does gets a little long-winded towards the end however as soon as I see the image of Morgana getting chained up, the desire for the pay off to all the work before gets stronger. Medieval times sure are rough, you can get a death sentence just because some guy you never met before accuse and start a rumor of you being a demon/witch.

You were able to bear them because they weren't your tragedies

No mdm,

We cry at tragedies because we draw parrallel with our own lives.

All in all, I quite like it. It would been perfect for me if they tone down the last part as its repetitive and because of my personal agency to see through this story. I very much want see how it resolves and how they ultimately made peace with one another.

Usobuko

Banned
Sorry for the triple post, I came across this where searching for Fata Morgana pov.

Oh man, I feel like a lot of music for Fata Morgana has you start off thinking ”this is such a nice tune and the lyrics sound so soft and sweet" but when you look at the actual translation it's like ”... oh". Have you seen the lyrics for ”Cicio"? WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED.

Any native speakers here that understand what the lyrics mean? This is by far my favorite ost in the game, I interested in figuring out its meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWuLJ8S0BE

Vazra

Sorry for the triple post, I came across this where searching for Fata Morgana pov.

Any native speakers here that understand what the lyrics mean? This is by far my favorite ost in the game, I interested in figuring out its meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWuLJ8S0BE

EDIT: NVM I didnt have the translated version like I thought I did smh

But yeah Cicio lyrics are... yeah

This is google translate version of the lyrics. Cant find the better translations I had before
Close your eyes and steal my ears
Your scream twitches me with closed mouth.
I'm still searching for pus or hunger.
Interior of our skins

Little by little the apple decays
Let's go lay down

I covered the various things in my dream
The wings of the avi, the stone shine
The beautiful flower-de-lis, and the cat orphan
Leg of the spider, and ...

Cicio, cicio, cicio, cicio ...

Please leave us in the hidden garden
We show the illusions, it's too much
Because all things and speak lies
I'm blue on the ground

Little and little water flowing
Let's go and play the ...

Cicio, cicio, cicio, cicio
Cicio, cicio, cicio, cicio

Despite some things you can figure out what is that about.

Jesus fuck. Though I guess it's appropriate for Fata Morgana to have that sort of lyrics in its most peaceful song.

Pretty sure that the Concert Hall mode in the game shows translated lyrics

Vazra

Jesus fuck. Though I guess it's appropriate for Fata Morgana to have that sort of lyrics in its most peaceful song.

Pretty sure that the Concert Hall mode in the game shows translated lyrics

I forgot. The lyrics are mixed with all my steam screenshots ugh
4a93e79edf.png

And another fan favorite.

Giruvegan

Waiting for translation news for -Another Episode- is killing me.
This has been my steam page for the past several months now.

I love this game so much.

Vazra

Waiting for translation news for -Another Episode- is killing me.
This has been my steam page for the past several months now.

I love this game so much.

I regret selling my wallpaper. But 13 bucks were worth selling it for and I was short on cash.

I know how you feel with Another Episode and more when I constantly play the soundtrack on Spotify after Im done with the first game OST

Vazra

So this thread is dead until a new player comes along?

Shame for one of my favorite gaming love stories.

At least it manages to pop up every few weeks and months since its release. It shows even later after release people pick it up and want to discuss the events. I wish more people did it here cause I see some in SteamGAF but in the end what matters is that everyone playing it so far has enjoyed it. Wish it sold better tho.

Melkaz

Steam is having another sale.

Buy The House in Fata Morgana
SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends 18 March
-25% 22,99€ --> 17,24€

Not a really big cut, exactly the same as during the last winter sales but guess i'll bite now. I was busy playing Steins;gate and Steins;gate 0 in Jan/Feb and now I need another VN fix!

_mail

I didn't see this thread, so I might as well post what I thought of the game when I played it earlier this year.

I have to say, I expected a bit more... tragedy? Hopelessness? I really enjoyed the first three doors, but
the fourth and the subsequent story
let me down a bit.

When I was playing, I was reminded of To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf: a novel that features the passing of time and its affects on a house and its inhabitants. Like that novel, I really enjoyed that in the game, [SPOILERthe house[/SPOILER] shifted and changed through time reflecting the internal and external states of the characters. I also really enjoyed the character of The Maid (
I thought that her origin story was cool, but I disliked that after 100s of years this personality just vanished in an instant

The best section of the game is without a doubt the second door, this is where my enjoyment peaked
and in my opinion when the game was at its best
, I feel that after this segment the game loses a bit of its edge.

The game is very well made, I enjoyed the soundtrack and visuals, I just prefer
more misfortune rather than a love story
. In retrospect, I really did enjoy playing through most of the game, but the fact that
the Giselle-Michael sequences are repeated around 4 times
really tired me out, making me glad when I finally finished.

Usobuko

Banned
^ You're not alone that feels the mid-last portion of the game drags.

This is why reminisce is a good thing, you remember the good parts and conveniently forget how it was narrated.

Taruranto

The game does have some pacing issues (Mostly chapter 2, 5 and some parts of 7), but compared to literally every VN ever is a roller-coaster with the exception of
chapter 8 with is basically like starting another VN.

When I was playing, I was reminded of To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf: a novel that features the passing of time and its affects on a house and its inhabitants. Like that novel, I really enjoyed that in the game,
the house
shifted and changed through time reflecting the internal and external states of the characters. I also really enjoyed the character of The Maid (
I thought that her origin story was cool, but I disliked that after 100s of years this personality just vanished in an instant

I remember thinking
the Maid "reverted" to Giselle too fast when I read it the first time (It didn't help that Door 8 has quite a lot of humor and jokes), but after re-reading some parts It doesn't bother me as much. I guess it's because I see her as Giselle first and not as "The Maid" now. "The Maid" was the cocoon she created to survive and Michel's love for her destroyed it. (Which sounds cheesy as hell lol)

Still, the
whole subversion of the maid's character is one of my favorite part of FM, especially if you play it with old sprite which makes her look totally inconspicuous. I would never have expected for her to become the "main heroine" of the story.

MilkBeard

During an interview, one of the creators said that they were inspired by novels from Tanith Lee. Has anyone read any of her books? I'm curious to read some if they have similarities in themes or settings.

Jimrpg

Bit off topic, but I watched Beauty and the Beast the 1991 movie, last night with my 3 year old daughter and was surprised how close the beast story in this game is to the movie. The difference is that the writing and plot development in the Fata Morgana is on another level. Obviously one is a 90 min movie and the other is a 30hr VN but still the Fata Morgana writing is amazing!

Top Bottom