• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hey folks. I picked up The House in Fata Morgana -Collected Edition- and recently Platinumed it, so I thought I'd offer up a few impressions. Apologies in advance for the image-heaviness!

I won't be discussing the content of the main game here. Instead, I'll be concentrating only on the quality of the port, the user interface/general presentation, and of course the new features.

• THE PACKAGE
FataMorBox.jpg
No-frills, basic Vita packaging with the original key art on the front and the new key art for the "-Reincarnation-" story (more on that below) on the back. (Only a brief textual reference is made to the expansion disc, "A Requiem for Innocence". Odd, considering neither the iOS or 3DS ports contained it.) The only contents of the package are the game card and a single-page, color instruction sheet. Sadly, this release had no limited edition of any kind.

• UI AND OVERALL PRESENTATION
Absolutely fantastic. Everything feels slick, polished, and very professional. None of the jank from the iOS or 3DS versions to be found, with every feature you'd expect of a top-shelf Vita visual novel. All the usual text speed, text skip, and volume controls, three choices of font, and voice options for the -Reincarnation- story. Touchscreen controls are also what you'd expect, with every feature of the game being accessible. One aspect I particularly enjoyed is the Log (fourth screenshot), which allows you to go back through text and rewind to any point. Standard fare for visual novels nowadays, but new to Fata Morgana. Oh, and the intro movie is all kinds of fabulous.

• IMAGE QUALITY
Running at 960x544 (Vita's native resolution), all character portraits are presented at their original size. Unfortunately, due to the aspect ratio difference versus the PC version, event CGs are often cropped or repositioned. Fortunately, they can be seen in their entirety in the gallery mode.

• EXTRAS MENU
Full of awesome and a breeze to navigate, the Extras menu offers access to all event CGs, tons of bonus illustrations spanning the long history of Fata Morgana from dojin to present, and an incredibly comprehensive music player with 115 (!) tracks. The lyrics for every vocal song can be viewed, and there are a plethora of songs here that do not appear on either the main game's soundtrack or the soundtrack to A Requiem for Innocence. All the new music from -Reincarnation- is here, too.

• ALL-NEW CONTENT
What most Japanese fans will be buying this for. -Collected Edition- features -Reincarnation-, an all-new story with the characters you know and love/hate in the present day, written by original scribe Keika Hanada. The new visual style might suggest a self-parodical comedy romp, but it's definitely Fata Morgana, if a tad more reserved. -Reincarnation- is fairly short at about three hours, and has no story branches. It is, however, fully voiced by a cast of A-list seiyuu—reprising their roles from the radio drama CDs—making for a very different experience indeed. Some will like it, some will hate it. Although it becomes available after fully completing the main story, longtime fans can unlock it immediately by answering several trivia questions. Finally, eighteen canonical short stories from various obscure sources are collected here, presented with music and background art. Most of them are quite short, but it's great to have them all in one place.

That about covers it. All in all, a fantastic product and inarguably the definitive version of The House in Fata Morgana. Now, the question is...are there any Western publishers awesome enough to wade through the multi-company licensing nightmare releasing it outside of Japan would require? Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• BONUS!
Say, if your Vita is set to Japanese region, don't forget to grab the two rad free themes!
Uno and dos.

Edit: Mosaics added on potential spoileriness.

takoyaki

All in all, a fantastic product and inarguably the definitive version of The House in Fata Morgana.

Agreed. I played through Fata Morgana on Vita for the first time after trying a bit of it on 3DS. The amount of options and bonus content in the Vita version really is fantastic. Touch screen controls were implemented very well and I appreciated the overabundance of save slots for unlocking all endings.

Thanks for your detailed impressions, I forgot to check out the lyrics in the soundtrack player.

Clov

The Vita version sounds great! I really wish that it would come over here, I'd love to have a physical copy of this gem. Not to mention all the new content...

KLoWn

• ALL-NEW CONTENT

What most Japanese fans will be buying this for. -Collected Edition- features -Reincarnation-, an all-new story with the characters you know and love/hate in the present day, written by original scribe Keika Hanada. The new visual style might suggest a self-parodical comedy romp, but it's definitely Fata Morgana, if a tad more reserved. -Reincarnation- is fairly short at about three hours, and has no story branches. It is, however, fully voiced by a cast of A-list seiyuu—reprising their roles from the radio drama CDs—making for a very different experience indeed. Some will like it, some will hate it. Finally, eighteen canonical short stories from various obscure sources are collected here, presented with music and background art. Most of them are quite short, but it's great to have them all in one place.
This is what MangaGamer currently is translating right?

Aokage

What are the chances of vita being translated? I really don't like playing visual novels on pc.

It's a mystery. Licensing issues would be rough. There are potentially three companies involved—Novectacle, HuneX (dramatic create), and MangaGamer.

But I have faith someone will step up to the plate.

Aokage

Should really spoiler some of those Vita screens. :X

Oh, crap. I didn't realize--Okay, I'll do that right now.

Edit: And done. That's about it, right? Nothing else really shows stuff that isn't in promo materials/on official websites.

butman

Agreed. I played through Fata Morgana on Vita for the first time after trying a bit of it on 3DS. The amount of options and bonus content in the Vita version really is fantastic. Touch screen controls were implemented very well and I appreciated the overabundance of save slots for unlocking all endings.

Thanks for your detailed impressions, I forgot to check out the lyrics in the soundtrack player.

There's a 3DS version???

takoyaki

There's a 3DS version???

There's one on the Japanese eShop. It's not the best version of the game because of the low resolution, but it's also only ¥950. They even redrew some of the art for the 3DS version which then carried over into the Vita version.

edit: yup, see above ;)

Edit: And done. That's about it, right? Nothing else really shows stuff that isn't in promo materials/on official websites.

maybe also blur out
the name Giselle, it's kind of a spoiler until you've finished the first 4 doors.

Taruranto

maybe also blur out
the name Giselle, it’s kind of a spoiler until you've finished the first 4 doors.

Yeah, that was I was thinking. Novectacle doesn't seem to care about spoilers much at this point, but in the west Fata is super-niche so better spoiler stuff as much you can, no harm done.

Aokage

Yeah, that was I was thinking. Novectacle doesn't seem to care about spoilers much at this point, but in the west Fata is super-niche so better spoiler stuff as much you can, no harm done.

Ah, very true. Fixed. Let us hope its niche-ness in the West may soon change...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I've never bemoaned the Vita's failure outside of Japan more than I have today, when I discovered the existence of this port. I would pay a questionably high amount of money for this. :(

The Vita's install base probably isn't the main reason a handheld port of a doujin visual novel that didn't sell well on Steam and may be complicated to license isn't getting localized.

I don't care to much for visual novels on PC, so I've been sleeping on this. But goddamn, I'd be there day one for a Vita version.

Jimrpg

What are the chances of vita being translated? I really don't like playing visual novels on pc.

Pretty much nonexistent unless it's a fan patch done through CFW.

I could see the fan patch happening because it's already been translated.

I don't care to much for visual novels on PC, so I've been sleeping on this. But goddamn, I'd be there day one for a Vita version.

I played on PC. While a vita version would be great, it's not something I would hold out for, the PC version is fine even if it's not as comfortable as a vita version.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
LOL that's not what I meant. I meant it's already translated on PC/Steam surely somebody can patch the vita version.
That would only encompass the main story. The prequel is still in translation and the new Vita exclusive bit is untouched. Not to mention all the UI elements.

I don't have high hopes for the small, unfocused community to do this.

KLoWn

You know what. Ya'll convinced me. I'll be picking this up once I finish up Persona 5.
Just so you know, it starts off kind of slow, but once you get past the beginning it really becomes some masterful shit.

Maybe not everyone thinks the beginning was slow, but if are like me I thought I'd give you a warning so you don't drop it too early.

You know what. Ya'll convinced me. I'll be picking this up once I finish up Persona 5.

Just so you know, it starts off kind of slow, but once you get past the beginning it really becomes some masterful shit.

Maybe not everyone thinks the beginning was slow, but if are like me I thought I'd give you a warning so you don't drop it too early.

Yeah, I've seen people say that the beginning dragged but I'd disagree. It does start off slow-paced, but I think it was great in terms of setting the tone and slowly immersing the reader into the VN's style.

MilkBeard

Yeah, I've seen people say that the beginning dragged but I'd disagree. It does start off slow-paced, but I think it was great in terms of setting the tone and slowly immersing the reader into the VN's style.

Yeah, I liked the beginning, and thought it was fine. By the time you get to the next 'part' shit ramps up anyway.

Shizuka

Any form of portability for me, maybe I should invest in a surface pro or something.

I tried getting it to run on my Windows tablet, but it didn't work back then. Still, I was really interested and decided to play it on my laptop. I'm glad I did, because it was completely worth it.

Aokage

Thanks so much for the RTs and goodwill, folks! All companies involved have retweeted it on the Japan side; it can happen!

Unison

What visual novel games would you guys recommend for a neophyte?

I've only played 999, Hotel Dusk and Danganronpa.

jonjonaug

What visual novel games would you guys recommend for a neophyte?

I've only played 999, Hotel Dusk and Danganronpa.

That depends, what are you going for?

Safe widely liked SFW games: Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0, all of the Ace Attorney games, Planetarian, Dangranronpa 2 (better than the first game), Higurashi, Umineko

The Silver Case is also cool but can be hard to get into if you don't appreciate Suda51's old school style. Think the slow/contemplative/confusing parts of Killer7 and that's the whole game.

Top Bottom