• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Aren't the iPad 3 & 4 or whatever in the same shell as iPad2? Why wouldn't they fit in a Core? Curious.

And I think iPhone 5 doesn't fit in the Jr. but you list that still. Although it seems more like a collectible anyway I guess.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cool. It supports iCade too. I bought their other game, Gridrunner, while waiting for it.

I might like Super Ox Wars more in the end, it's somewhat less psychedelic seemingly. Edit: nope, don't like the level design.

Oh and for non GAFer reviews I think Classic Game Room's iCade stuff are the best.
They got me so hyped for it to arrive already.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Aren't the iPad 3 & 4 or whatever in the same shell as iPad2? Why wouldn't they fit in a Core? Curious.

And I think iPhone 5 doesn't fit in the Jr. but you list that still. Although it seems more like a collectible anyway I guess.
iPad 3 and 4 are fatter than the iPad 2. But I don't know if that is the problem.

scaffa

Bought Cook Serve Delicous to play a bit during my vacation. I really want to enjoy it but the constant crashing makes this game unplayable om the ipad 2. It does not matter if i put the mem management on off, low or high. Sometimes I can succesfully play a day but in most cases it crashes and I have to start over again. What makes me bummed out the most is so far what i have played is very fun and i want to keep playing it but on the other hand I want to delete it and not recommend it to anyone.

Any suggestions on fixing this? Is there a way?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bought Cook Serve Delicous to play a bit during my vacation. I really want to enjoy it but the constant crashing makes this game unplayable om the ipad 2. It does not matter if i put the mem management on off, low or high. Sometimes I can succesfully play a day but in most cases it crashes and I have to start over again. What makes me bummed out the most is so far what i have played is very fun and i want to keep playing it but on the other hand I want to delete it and not recommend it to anyone.

Any suggestions on fixing this? Is there a way?
The good news is that there's a patch coming that's going to significantly help crashing via a new method of loading music. It should hit early next week or so (I submitted it last week). But try restarting the iPad before playing the game...I've heard that helps. Sorry for the crashes but I do know that patch is gonna help quite a bit. :)

Peterthumpa

OP should add to the FAQ that every main game from Gameloft ala Modern Combat 4 will run like shit regardless of the device.

Such a shitty company. With the amount of money they made with mobile gaming already one could expect that their releases would increase in quality but holy shit, such a train wreck in every regard.

Plus clones everywhere.

i0QZEBNaUaMHQ.png

The Grading Game | $0.99, Universal
A surprise release that is pretty freaking awesome. Fix grammar errors and typos has never been so fun! Who'd thought?
:mad:

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FYI on pricing on The Grading Game:

"Progress through more than 100 stimulating and unusual topics as you race against time to mark mistakes. Only $.99 -- 50% off for a limited time!"

Wonder what my first purchase will be this year. I'm pretty sure 2012 was Super Crate Box

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Why do some devs make their apps/games iOS 6 only? Unless it needs some feature that is exclusive to iOS 6, I just don't get it. I still haven't updated my iPad.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cool. It supports iCade too. I bought their other game, Gridrunner, while waiting for it.

I might like Super Ox Wars more in the end, it's somewhat less psychedelic seemingly. Edit: nope, don't like the level design.

Oh and for non GAFer reviews I think Classic Game Room's iCade stuff are the best.

They got me so hyped for it to arrive already.

Give it and Gridrunner some time, they are both incredible. Gridrunner is perfect on iCade but I think Ox Wars is better with touch.

Is it worth playing the first Infinity Blade, or should I just start with II? I've owned them both for months, and now I'm trying to manage my fridge.

smr00

Banned
I posted this in the ipad thread but i figured maybe someone here might be having the same problems as me.

So i bought a 16gb ipad 4 a few days ago and decided to buy a bunch of highly praised games like The Room and Real Racing 2 and TWD:assault since i am a huge TWD fan. Anyways all 3 of those games crash on menu and i have tried restarting the ipad, formatting it, deleting and re-installing the games and they still crash but i have about 16-17 other games that all work perfectly.. Is this just a think that will eventually be fixed? Am i fucked? anyone else having problems with The Room? Real Racing 2? If you are having these problems are you having them on the ipad 4?

Cth

The good news is that there's a patch coming that's going to significantly help crashing via a new method of loading music. It should hit early next week or so (I submitted it last week). But try restarting the iPad before playing the game...I've heard that helps. Sorry for the crashes but I do know that patch is gonna help quite a bit. :)

I had the same memory issue but rebooting it before playing the game fixes it every time.

Love the game!

PikaBitca

So I've been on a super monsters ate my condo kick. My high score is 170 billion, and looking at the Game Center scores I'm nowhere near the top scores! Anyone have tips on how to improve my scores?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So I've been on a super monsters ate my condo kick. My high score is 170 billion, and looking at the Game Center scores I'm nowhere near the top scores! Anyone have tips on how to improve my scores?

Cats and time will help you get into the Megazone more often and push those scores up.

Damn dude, are you sure you don't mean million? I thought I was pretty good and my high score is just under 7 billion, I'm in the top 5%.

What I usually do is just play for a few minutes since it seems like you get more garbage blocks (bombs, nukes, etc.) after you've got some decent combos, then activate the crab power and swipe everything away until you have three garbage blocks on the screen, switch to the green monster power and match the garbage blocks to get two cats, while still having the green power on make a match above the cats and you'll get instant Megazone. You want to do this with the cats as high in the tower as possible, then makes matches with blocks below the cats to continuously enter Megazone. When the two cats get to the bottom of the tower, make another cat (or two or three if you have the green power active), activate the dog power and make a match with the cats.

Follow that basic formula and you should be in good shape, assuming you meant to type "million." If you're really scoring 170 billion you're already pretty damn good at the game, good luck trying to top that. Keep at it until you're comfortably earning around 700 million - 1billion without powers, then start using those and your score will skyrocket. Obviously you're going to get your highest scores during Orient Expresses. The game is actually pretty deep, the more you play the more use you'll see in all the powers, when you should activate them and with what type of power. For example, you should have the blue unicorn power active any time you don't have to have another one going, you'll be surprised how much extra time you get if you're not using it often.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Been really addicted to Soul Calibur. Its like having a mini dreamcast in my pocket.

Anyone know when Shatter is coming to iOS?

PikaBitca

Damn dude, are you sure you don't mean million? I thought I was pretty good and my high score is just under 7 billion, I'm in the top 5%.

What I usually do is just play for a few minutes since it seems like you get more garbage blocks (bombs, nukes, etc.) after you've got some decent combos, then activate the crab power and swipe everything away until you have three garbage blocks on the screen, switch to the green monster power and match the garbage blocks to get two cats, while still having the green power on make a match above the cats and you'll get instant Megazone. You want to do this with the cats as high in the tower as possible, then makes matches with blocks below the cats to continuously enter Megazone. When the two cats get to the bottom of the tower, make another cat (or two or three if you have the green power active), activate the dog power and make a match with the cats.

Follow that basic formula and you should be in good shape, assuming you meant to type "million." If you're really scoring 170 billion you're already pretty damn good at the game, good luck trying to top that. Keep at it until you're comfortably earning around 700 million - 1billion without powers, then start using those and your score will skyrocket. Obviously you're going to get your highest scores during Orient Expresses. The game is actually pretty deep, the more you play the more use you'll see in all the powers, when you should activate them and with what type of power. For example, you should have the blue unicorn power active any time you don't have to have another one going, you'll be surprised how much extra time you get if you're not using it often.

Yeah 170 billion, which makes me 65th on the all time list atm. However, number one in the world is 900 something TRILLION, and even the score above mine is 300 billion.

I tend to use peace time, double good and slow chain power ups when I'm playing, and just try to chain match, using the green power up as much as possible to get the double upgraded combos and as many clock condos/piggies as possible. Right before I get into mega Zone ( either via the normal ways or three cats) I swap to yellow power.

I can't imagine how people get those trillion scores, only way I can think of is not breaking the chain (ie keep matching blocks consecutively). I find getting the chain up to 50 hard enough as it is!

Yeah 170 billion, which makes me 65th on the all time list atm. However, number one in the world is 900 something TRILLION, and even the score above mine is 300 billion.

I tend to use peace time, double good and slow chain power ups when I'm playing, and just try to chain match, using the green power up as much as possible to get the double upgraded combos and as many clock condos/piggies as possible. Right before I get into mega Zone ( either via the normal ways or three cats) I swap to yellow power.

I can't imagine how people get those trillion scores, only way I can think of is not breaking the chain (ie keep matching blocks consecutively). I find getting the chain up to 50 hard enough as it is!
65th worldwide is nowhere near the top scores!?!

I wouldn't worry about it, pretty sure hacking/ cheating is pretty common on iOS, I'm not sure there's a way to check if a score is legit but if I score seems suspiciously high it might be doctored. It's been a long time ago but IIRC a dev said in the old iOS OT that there was no way to punish or delete people posting phony scores.

PFD

I posted this in the ipad thread but i figured maybe someone here might be having the same problems as me.

So i bought a 16gb ipad 4 a few days ago and decided to buy a bunch of highly praised games like The Room and Real Racing 2 and TWD:assault since i am a huge TWD fan. Anyways all 3 of those games crash on menu and i have tried restarting the ipad, formatting it, deleting and re-installing the games and they still crash but i have about 16-17 other games that all work perfectly.. Is this just a think that will eventually be fixed? Am i fucked? anyone else having problems with The Room? Real Racing 2? If you are having these problems are you having them on the ipad 4?

This is strange. I would take it to Apple and ask for a replacement.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
One Mirror's Edge iOS code. X7MAXFWHMH67
------------------

So any Every Extend like game for iOS yet?

FGMPR

Banned
Props to Activision for the job they've done on The Lost Treasures of Infocom. The way they've packed in all the manuals, bonus materials, maps, feelies and invisiclues from the original releases is really impressive. As is the amount of games included, the streamlining of the games themselves (maps at the touch of a button, actual compass, the word save feature, the auto correct etc) and the overall feel of the menu's and interface.

It's a perfect update imo, and makes this really old-school genre fun and pretty painless to play.

Including the complete Zork I with all the extra's makes for an exceptional demo, too.

edit: I just noticed you have to buy the maps and invisiclues separate to the actual games, though at 99cents each for the lot its not too bad at all. $12.50 for the entire package is a nice price for this, seeing the love that clearly went into it, imo.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hundreds looks interesting.

I really wish Prevail would pop up soon, the devs have hinted that it's nearing release.

According to a recent Twitter post:

AI now navigate the galaxy freely, just give them a destination and they find transport, pick up passengers, fly, drive, walk
Which sounds really sweet. For those unfamiliar, here's how the devs initially described the game.

This is an open world/universe, where you have to discover ways to travel around, make alliances and solve a mystery. Find new places, life forms, architecture, vehicles, spaceships, weapons, animals etc.

It is a mission based game with a lot of choice and impact, visceral gameplay with large scale and variety. We are focused on adventure, experimentation and fun.
Old Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F6FSBz8K4Pg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom