• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ljohf.png

Welcome to the NeoGAF iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Official Thread, 4th Edition!

If you're new, this thread is for discussion and recommendation of all things gaming in the App Store. Don't be afraid to recommend or review a title, as any one comment can take a game from never-heard-of to an instant classic. We also have an organized list of GameCenter IDs of everyone here that takes part in the thread. Below you will find the official list, and how to get on the list, and the means to start competing with your fellow gamers.

1Y5kx.png

How to Become an Official GAF iOS GameCenter/OpenFeint Member

The List
updated daily

#RULES: How to get on the list / Update your profile / Add friends

• Send me a PM if you want to be added to the list or taken off the list, following this EXACT same text formatting

GAF Name = Name [GC] / Name [OF] / Name [Plus+] / Device

• When you add someone, add FROM GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name so to easily tell who's who and avoid unknown non-registered lurkers :)
  • Send Flunkie a pm if you are ALREADY on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS platform(s) owned (it's cool to know who has an iPad for all the games with separate SKUs), Plus+ profile or to just change your existing GC or OF profile. Please include your number on the list in your PM.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's ok to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFfers challenging us on the friends leaderboard.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option ;)
  • Don't add me as a friend unless you want to participate on the iOS Challenges (read below) and are aware of the 'name showing on the TOP Scores screenshots' deal (read the FAQ section for the how-to on hiding your real name to friends on Game Center)
  • Remember: your real name will be visible to your GC friends (read the FAQ section to find out how to avoid that

zpP3h.png

Is there a proper NeoGAF's App to use the forum on iOS?

Fellow NeoGaffer ckohler built an incredible web-app to give us the best way possible to browse/post on
NeoGAF from our iOS devices. It's constantly updated and you can even make requests on the specific thread (beware, the OP doesn't get updated often, so just go to the last page of the thread. It's freakin' awesome, you should really give it a try and see for yourself what an amazing job ckholer has done.

NeoGAF Mobile
A NeoGAF Web App |OT|

~

How to Hide Your Real Name on GameCenter

Remember, unless you do as told here, your IRL first and last name, taken from your Apple ID, will be shown to your GC friends since firmware update 4.3. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your proper nickname instead, here's how you do it:

• Open the GameCenter app
  • Go to the "ME" tab and tap the yellow ribbon that has your email written on it
  • Now chose "View my Account" and you'll be prompted for your password
  • Now scroll all the way down till the GC account section and tap on the Apple ID profile
  • Change you first name and last name (you must enter both) with whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Dash, Last Name: Kappei)

Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your buddies' GC friends list from now on; this will affect GC *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes (like me), you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card, like I do).

0EU62.png

NeoGAF's iOS Weekly Challenges:
Canabalt (Ends on Page 357, no dedicated thread) - Ended
Mr. Ninja (August 1st to August 7th, 2011) - Ended
Flick Kick Football (August 16th to August 23rd, 2011) - Ended
Hard Lines (September 1st to September 8th, 2011) - Ended
Bit.Trip.Beat Blitz (September 29th to October 6th, 00:01 (AM) GMT) - Ended

Rules:
•To participate you just need the game and to add Dash Kappei on Game Center (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
Add "From GAF," and your nickname on GAF or Dash won't add you.
•Screenshots of the TOP 20* scores (tbd) will be posted in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge threads, so DON'T add me on Gamecenter or at least don't compete in the weekly challenge if you don't want your real name to be shown. You can easily avoid your real name to appear if you follow the few simple steps on the FAQ Section above "How to Hide Your Real Name on Game Center".
•GAFFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
•Check the Master List Membership above if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play.
•Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
•You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted I can accept your GC's friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's an hour to go.
•Posting your new scores in this thread is encouraged as well as posting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.

Game-Specific iOS Official Threads:

Pocket Planes |OT| + NeoGAF's crew #NeoGAF
Draw Something: GAF meet-up + spreadsheet
Tiny Tower |OT|
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP Indy Hype
Angry Birds Space |OT|
Infinity Blade 2 |OT|
Hero Academy |OT| FREE iPhone MP strat from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs
NOVA 3 |OT| Gameloft's Unreal 3 powered Shooter sampler plate

Board & Card games: GAF iOS community:
If you play or are interested in playing/finding iOS board games (Carcassonne, Ascension, Ticket to Ride & more) and card games (Assassin's Creed: Recollection, Shadow Era TCG...) with an active GAF community, join us at
iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread.

NeoGAF's very own Best iOS Games List
Jedeye Sniv has put together a list of NeoGAF's favorite games!
"iOS gaffers voted to bring you NeoGAF's Best iOS Games of All Time."
The Official NeoGAF Best iOS Games of All Time

Links to Previous Official Threads:
iOS Gaming OT 1
iOS Gaming OT 2
iOS Gaming OT 3

Happy gaming, and, as always:
"Ciao, see you on the leaderboards!"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have any suggestion, bring any erroneous info to my attention or whatever you feel like, just shoot me a pm or drop a post in this thread.

Thanks to these guys for their contributions:
Flunkie for redacting the beloved OT3 while I was, er, banned and thus taking the reigns and doing an amazing job while adding the oh-so-cool factor to our Touch Gaming OTs!
Vyer and bathala for the tips on how to hide your real name in GC for the FAQ Section!
teamaxe for the cool banners!
Jedeye Sniv for the best iOS game voting thread!

dantehemi

Yes!!

Dash, you gonna setup a new challenge soon?

Started playing puzzle craft, and I'm loving this game so much. It's pure iOS crack :)

Dash Kappei

Man I've waited and waited to break the damn 20k barrier and now that it's time I'm on vacation (unexpected but welcomed!) in the Isle of Kos (Greece) till Sept 3rd. Which actually rocks but hey, I haven't forgot my OP duties for thread 5.
Finally today I've found a wifi spot since my hotel's doesn't get along with my iPad it seems, so I'm gonna put up the new OT without a title (suggestions welcomed, possibly with a pun in there) [edit: I've come up with one, hope you guys like it!] and with just the old stuff of |OT4| pasted on till I'm back in town in 15 days, and then update it with everything we've prepped.
Sorry mates :(

Especially my excuses go to Tunesmith who has done a kick-ass job with all the new layout and banners (and who has been ready for ages) but Sept 3rd (or 4th, lol) is not that far, isn't it? ;)
Also thanks go to LastWindow, Flunkie and all the other contributors.

I'll go on and post OT5 right now and let the mods decide if to lock this one right away or lock OT5 till this thread reaches 20k posts and then unleash the fury of the new iOS gaming thread.

I don't know when or if I'll be able to connect to GAF again, so same thing for the iOS GAF Membership requests and whatever, they're on hold till I'm back.

New thread will be called iOS Gaming Thread instead of the whole shenanigan, as per your requests!

Ciao, see ya soon gaffers have a nice summer! :)

Dash Kappei

Hi guys!
Gonna disconnect in a few minutes, if it's possible, I'd love for the mods to get me post#2 otherwise it'll be a bit difficult with the new stuff!
couldn't post in time to reserve it with this crappy wifi, damn.

Ciao!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hi guys!
Gonna disconnect in a few minutes, if it's possible, I'd love for the mods to get me post#2 otherwise it'll be a bit difficult with the new stuff!

Ciao!

Or move my post up one, I'll co-op this thread with Dash np. :)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hi guys!

Ciao!

Dammit dantehemi!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hi guys!

Ciao!

I can do this. It has been done.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yay, new thread. I'll try to keep up with this one this time.

So... who wants to do a recap of OT4 for us?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This thread is a lie! I have played a bunch of recommended games, even bought some too! I haven't played them for longer than a half an hour at best, and barely enjoy any of them.

Dash, you should have had the title as "IOS" just to piss us all off.

Good OT. Can't believe we are 5 threads old now...we've grown so much.

Here's where I come until the new thread to recommend the Bar Oasis series, like I'm known to do.

Oh and Jazz: Trump's Journey is pretty neat as well. I'm enjoying that quite a bit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
These threads sure fly. I've been playing FF Tactics but haven't had a lot of time to sink into anything else lately. Still checking the suggestions in these threads and snatching all those free deals as usual.

Have fun, Dash!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
New thread! I too am playing FFT finally. That game is both amazing and so hard it scares me from playing it. I just started chapter 3 and I'm worried it's about to start kicking my ass from some poor levelling choices. Fear!

GeekyDad

New thread! I too am playing FFT finally. That game is both amazing and so hard it scares me from playing it. I just started chapter 3 and I'm worried it's about to start kicking my ass from some poor levelling choices. Fear!

Leveling isn't too much of a concern in FFT; your abilities, though, are. Like folks have suggested in the past, just make sure you save your game to a separate slot anytime the game prompts you to save -- it's the game's way of letting you know you're about to take an ass beating you might need to better prepare for.

Does anyone know what happened to that Space Command game? Is it still coming out?

Well they did two kickstarters for a pc port, personally I don't see why they can't just get the damn game out on iOS first and go from there. Kickstarter has ruined a lot of indie games imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Simpsons Tapped Out is interesting for a Simpsons fan. It's nice to look at. I don't care for the Smurfs Village gameplay, though.

0OoO0

Anyone know a site where I can check the release dates for upcoming ios games? I want to know when does Age of Booty comes out!

kennah

This week - Dungeon Village, SUmmoner Wars, and trying really really hard to not double dip on Kingdom Rush (Can`t get past one of the levels - crashes my OG iPad)

Gaaraz

Shellrazer is probably the most fucking appealing game I've ever played on iOS - to call what I've faced a difficulty spike would be an understatement. Genuinely feel dissapointed by the devs for making it this way.

On a more positive note, I completed Swordigo earlier - great game that.

hyp

been here since OT1. and it just gets better. here are my recent plays:

gasketball
happy street
bad hotel
bug princess
wizorb
mole escape

all recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom