• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this posted yet, but Lego Harry Potter (both games) are on sale for .99 right now. Haven't tried them yet so I can't recommend, but I'll bite.

Played some games that have been updated for iPhone 5 display, Asphalt 7 so great. It's going to gaming device.

Does rayman support the new display?

Any other suckers like me will be happy to know Simpsons Tapped Out got a Content Update. Raised the level cap too, just in time for me hitting 20.

Big Stuff:
Kearny - Premium Character

Quests:
Springfield Library/Martin Prince (Level 12 [i think])
Muntz House/Nelson (Level 21)

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Any other suckers like me will be happy to know Simpsons Tapped Out got a Content Update. Raised the level cap too, just in time for me hitting 20.

Big Stuff:
Kearny - Premium Character

Quests:
Springfield Library/Martin Prince (Level 12 [i think])
Muntz House/Nelson (Level 21)

I tried playing this game but got frustrated with long load times and the apparent fact that you can't have any real, uninterrupted fun without spending real money. I heard that an update made the load times much better, but can you have fun without shelling out cash?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I played tap out for a while, but when it became obvious that IAP is abysmal in the game, I deleted it.

I tried playing this game but got frustrated with long load times and the apparent fact that you can't have any real, uninterrupted fun without spending real money. I heard that an update made the load times much better, but can you have fun without shelling out cash?

Well, I never pay money to rush, but I have bought Premium Stuff because, I mean, come on, Hank Scorpio.

It's fun to me because the characters/jobs/quests are done so fucking well it's insane.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Infinite surf is free, haven't tried it yet but has a nice art style, gonna try it out but you can't beat free lol

I bought it, but it was only $2. The presentation is nice, but it's not very engaging, you just tilt a surf board across a slow moving, mostly horizontal plane and collect points. It's slow and it doesn't do a very good job of explaining what you're expected to to do. Plus, no music, in a game like this? Seems like a missed opportunity.

I haven't played it that long, though.

zonipoi

As someone who tries to read through this thread a couple times a week to keep track of stuff I might want to check out, I would also greatly appreciate a new, potentially monthly "Best of iOS" thread. I've tried using Touch Arcade and Slide to Play to keep track of interesting games but for my tastes they advocate way too many subpar, uninteresting games to be useful. On the other hand this thread has rarely disappointed when I've bought games that are well-liked.

Can't wait to get Rayman this weekend, I've been busy with school and have held off so as not to be distracted. Origins is my favorite game in a long time and you're holding right a majority of the time already (on non-exploratory runs, anyway) so presumably Jungle Run is pretty similar.

This is me. It's too hard to try and keep up with this thread so would love a monthly "Best of iOS" thread.

Also Rayman is great.

ToxicAdam

A couple under-the-radar freebies you want to check out:

Streak shooter - a 3 point shooting game. Real simple, Has multiple game modes that unlock and keeps stats. Global high scores are behind some IAP.

Castle Story - a kingdom builder ala Tribez. Not as pretty of a game, shares a lot graphically with a game like Pocket Potions. The progression in the game is a bit slower ... but it's a decent way to kill 15 mins a day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought I'd ask - for the people who must have hundreds of iOS games by now, how do you manage your collection? Do you keep the ipas? Do you try to keep some kind of catalog somewhere? Or do you treat them as disposable entertainment and just delete them and forget about them when you're done?

Ranger X

I thought I'd ask - for the people who must have hundreds of iOS games by now, how do you manage your collection? Do you keep the ipas? Do you try to keep some kind of catalog somewhere? Or do you treat them as disposable entertainment and just delete them and forget about them when you're done?

I always shop on my computer so everything is on my computer and I only synch certain things. I still keep alot of games on my Ipod though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I always shop on my computer so everything is on my computer and I only synch certain things. I still keep alot of games on my Ipod though.
Spending the last year buying 99 cent games and getting a lot of freebies means I have over 100 gigs of games. I'm just finding it hard to manage, especially since iTunes as an app manager is pretty... well, not easy to work with if you have a lot of apps.

I'm thinking of moving stuff to an external hard drive at this point, but that is the digital equivalent of putting games into a plastic tub and shoving it into the garage. lol

plc268

Spending the last year buying 99 cent games and getting a lot of freebies means I have over 100 gigs of games. I'm just finding it hard to manage, especially since iTunes as an app manager is pretty... well, not easy to work with if you have a lot of apps.

I'm thinking of moving stuff to an external hard drive at this point, but that is the digital equivalent of putting games into a plastic tub and shoving it into the garage. lol

Yea, I'm having the same issue sometimes.

I'll delete an app off my iphone or ipad, and the moment I plug it in, it resyncs the app over. Which is annoying, but then I can tell it to not sync.

What's more annoying, is the constant barrage of updates it wants me to install...

xJavonta

Banned

I'm thinking of doing this as well. But I'm going to get a large external USB 3.0 drive and use it for all of my iTunes stuff since I have a ton of music as well.

Whoa whoa, wait, what? oO iTunes keeps the stuff you have on the drive? It doesn't just associate a product with your account (a la steam)? That's... well, I wouldn't notice since I have a 3TB hard drive, but godamn, that's insanely stupid, if so.

Whoa whoa, wait, what? oO iTunes keeps the stuff you have on the drive? It doesn't just associate a product with your account (a la steam)? That's... well, I wouldn't notice since I have a 3TB hard drive, but godamn, that's insanely stupid, if so.

Pretty sure you can just download it again, or drag and drop the apps from the itunes folder.

polg

HALP iOS GAF!

I'm about to finish 10000000 and I'm worried nothing is going to fill that void during my (very short) commutes. :/

Has anyone tried Wizschool? it seems like what I'd like on a phone game...

HTuran

No, that's incorrect. You have a list of purchases and can download whatever.

I have no apps on my computer, and just download anything I want to play straight to my iPhone. Not really sure what the point is of downloading apps to a computer, since you can't play them there...

Pretty sure you can just download it again, or drag and drop the apps from the itunes folder.

Huh?!? Oo

I know I can DL things again, that's not what I asked, lol.

No, that's incorrect. You have a list of purchases and can download whatever.

I have no apps on my computer, and just download anything I want to play straight to my iPhone. Not really sure what the point is of downloading apps to a computer, since you can't play them there...

You posted 1 minute toolate.

Yeah I don't get it either, why DL iOS stuff to your conputer if it's unusable?

heringer

Been out of the loop for a week. What's new? What's awesome? What looks awesome but turns out to be shite?

Big week with Rayman, Lili, SFxT, Demon's Score, Lunar...

PittaGAF

I just completed The Room, it was indeed an awesome experience.
Not long (around 4-5 hours), neither difficult, but awesome....I liked every bit of the experience.
I really hope the already have The Room 2 submitted tough....

GeekyDad

I use Nintendo's refrigerator approach: erase shit as I go. There are a few things I moved their doc folders over with iExplorer to my computer, but otherwise I just erase what I'm not currently playing. It sucks to lose saves, but I can still download the games (most games, anyway) whenever I want.

SmokyDave

I generally keep all my shit on my iTunes server but do a lot of deleting / re-installing for smaller games where I don't care about my saves.

I thought you were well versed on iOS?

You really do seem like you've been in a time capsule for 5 years.

If a game is good and rather long I try to keep it, but if i've not played an app for a few months it usually goes, plus I am someone who replays games so for say Air Supremacy I will go back through it at some point.

Some games which save files online are great though, I still have my RR2 data from release and it even worked in the ipad HD version, still have all my cars no matter what.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Got majored screwed on galaxy on fire 2 hd in app purchase. I downloaded the hd game on my iphone 5 and restore my in app purchased and the valkryie one i bought before did not restore so i thought if i buy it again itunes will see it bought it before and get it for free, nope, they took my money again. I emailed itunes support but is there a number for them anywhere? i feel totally burned by this and i having issues with my itunes account as well with this new iphone 5.

Pachimari

Look what I came by at a store here in Denmark, to my surprise:

ipd8El.jpg

Is it the good or lesser good iCade?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Huh?!? Oo

I know I can DL things again, that's not what I asked, lol.

You posted 1 minute toolate.

Yeah I don't get it either, why DL iOS stuff to your conputer if it's unusable?

By default, iTunes keeps local copies of all your purchases in Media/Mobile Applicatons.

Main reason is for backup/quick re-sync purposes. Saves bandwidth to download it once to iTunes then propagate it via wifi to multiple devices.

I keep local copies since apps routinely gets removed from the cloud due to either Terms of Service violations (here MAME!, iDOS etc.) or developer's licenses expire, thus their apps gets removed and you can't download them again (purged from purchase history).

Also, should you move abroad and change your Apple ID's iTunes Store region by adding a new CC from a different country, your purchases from your previous region gets lost and can't be downloaded again.

So that's why any sane person would keep local copies of their purchases. Cloud schmoud.

matt360

Hey guys, I really need some help with my iPad. I mentioned a while back, but I cannot access the App Store on my home wifi network. It won't even get me to the screen where I can log out and then log back in again (which I also did anyways from general settings to no avail). The internet works just fine, I just can't access the App Store or iTunes Store. And it is only on my home wifi network. I can access it without any trouble anywhere else. There are certain times a day where if I'm lucky I can use it, but it's becoming more and more rare that I'll get so lucky.

This is a brand new 64GB wifi only iPad 3, and aside from this issue it works perfectly. Does this sound like a wifi thing more than an iPad thing, or is something wrong with my iPad.

I would really appreciate any help. I honestly have no idea what would prevent me from accessing the App Store but allow to me browse and play online games without any trouble.

Edit: I do not get the little pop up that says "Cannot access App Store" or "Cannot access iTunes Store". I'll tap on the App Store icon and it will simply take me to a blank page and act like it's trying to load until I close out of it eventually.

And to keep this on topic, any word on Walking Dead episode 3?

heringer

Street Fighter vs Tekken is fun. Very casual version of the game, but I'm enjoying it. Worth $3 for a few bouts online every once in a while.

ToxicAdam

HALP iOS GAF!

I'm about to finish 10000000 and I'm worried nothing is going to fill that void during my (very short) commutes. :/

Has anyone tried Wizschool? it seems like what I'd like on a phone game...

Ever try Ticket to Ride (Pocket)? It's free and a very nice game in short bursts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It does, but the only thing worse than managing the syncing of your apps in iTunes is managing your purchase history either through the phone or through iTunes.

Trust me, if it was as easy as Steam (doesn't force me to download when I buy something, allows for custom categories and offline searching), I wouldn't have this problem. Then again, I think I have a thousand apps in my history now. lol

Also, because companies are allowed to just pull their apps off the store, if you don't have a local copy, you are SOL unless you want to jailbreak and go shady. The only thing that immediately comes to mind is EA and the original Tetris (I have two versions of it installed at the moment), but I'm sure there are other apps that have simply disappeared. At least with Steam, when a company pulls its games, if you bought it, you can still redownload it.

I'm thinking of doing this as well. But I'm going to get a large external USB 3.0 drive and use it for all of my iTunes stuff since I have a ton of music as well.
Yeah. The only annoying thing is managing the syncing process. Either that, or you have to re-download the same game twice... or I suppose just give up on iTunes on a PC/Mac entirely.

Yea, I'm having the same issue sometimes.

I'll delete an app off my iphone or ipad, and the moment I plug it in, it resyncs the app over. Which is annoying, but then I can tell it to not sync.

What's more annoying, is the constant barrage of updates it wants me to install...
My friend suggested basically unchecking every app you have in the sync list and then only sync the new apps that you get. Which kind of works as long as you don't skip through the warnings that it will give you every time you try to sync and you don't mind scrolling through a large list of apps every time you want to copy over something new.

By default, iTunes keeps local copies of all your purchases in Media/Mobile Applicatons.

Main reason is for backup/quick re-sync purposes. Saves bandwidth to download it once to iTunes then propagate it via wifi to multiple devices.

I keep local copies since apps routinely gets removed from the cloud due to either Terms of Service violations (here MAME!, iDOS etc.) or developer's licenses expire, thus their apps gets removed and you can't download them again (purged from purchase history).

Also, should you move abroad and change your Apple ID's iTunes Store region by adding a new CC from a different country, your purchases from your previous region gets lost and can't be downloaded again.

So that's why any sane person would keep local copies of their purchases. Cloud schmoud.
Yeah, I still have MAME and iDOS squirreled away somewhere. I guess I just need to figure out a way to catalog this stuff manually. lol

I suppose wiping my iTunes library file and just starting fresh on that end will probably make "new" syncing infinitely more simple as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom