• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want more companion apps in the style of the Mass Effect Datapad app. I really enjoy how it connects to the actual game. I'll be playing a mission in 3, then save/quit and walk to class. Waiting for class, and reading notes on the app from my squad about the mission I just completed is just really neat to me. The Galactic Readiness stuff is cool too.

Datapad1.PNG
Datapad2.PNG
Datapad3.PNG

It's not a perfect fit for every game, but I could imagine it working well for games like Assassins Creed 3 (trade Galactic Readiness for Brotherhood Assassin missions, and Mail from the crew outside of the Animus). The Datapad app has just really impressed me, in ways that previous companion app things haven't before.

AEREC

I want more companion apps in the style of the Mass Effect Datapad app. I really enjoy how it connects to the actual game. I'll be playing a mission in 3, then save/quit and walk to class. Waiting for class, and reading notes on the app from my squad about the mission I just completed is just really neat to me. The Galactic Readiness stuff is cool too.

It's not a perfect fit for every game, but I could imagine it working well for games like Assassins Creed 3 (trade Galactic Readiness for Brotherhood Assassin missions, and Mail from the crew outside of the Animus). The Datapad app has just really impressed me, in ways that previous companion app things haven't before.

Thats pretty cool about the ME data-pad... downloading now.

Thats pretty cool about the ME data-pad... downloading now.

It's really added to my enjoyment of Mass Effect 3 (which I've already been enjoying quite a bit). Also having the Codex on iOS devices is a much better platform for that stuff than reading it in-game.

Ranger X

So? how is Epic Astro Story?

Is it a bit hard to control on Ipod or Iphone? I see screenshots with very small buildings and pieces

blackflag

Just experienced a pretty big bug in Nightfall. Anyone know who to report that to?

Just got in a situation where if I click to see between my hand and the minions I have played, and now all my cards disappeared and I can't see anything.

Edit: Nevermind, I think my discard pile was open and empty nd it was overlaying my hand and minions.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's the first link I saw

Nobody reads IGN for iOS news. Blame all your other editors out there for marking the site as IGNorant

Okay. Well, this is my story, with more hands-on impressions & details:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/122/1222492p1.html

There are screens of the new desert environment and Gem Forge and some other details as well:

http://www.ign.com/images/games/infinity-blade-ii-iphone-119380

GAF is against promotion of sites for personal gain, so what's the big deal here?

Touch Arcade is the go-to site for many iOS gamers.

I wasn't sure why someone would link to a post that says "Hey IGN has a bunch of Infinity Blade 2 details" instead of taking a moment to link to the post itself.

It's not a big deal. I just wanted to make sure where was no specific reason my story was snubbed. I've been posting on GAF for much much longer than I've been covering iOS games for IGN.

AEREC

Nobody reads IGN for iOS news. Blame all your other editors out there for marking the site as IGNorant

I check IGN from time to time for iOS reviews, as well as Slide to Play. Touch Arcade just looks sloppy to me.

I usually hear about most iOS news here in this thread first.

Chinner

Banned
i still ahvent gotten round to playing infinity blade 2. not sure why i havent relaly. have they fixed all the bugs yet?

Just experienced a pretty big bug in Nightfall. Anyone know who to report that to?

Just got in a situation where if I click to see between my hand and the minions I have played, and now all my cards disappeared and I can't see anything.

Can you reproduce it? Or that's the current state? Do a picture (power+home button)

Playdek Twitter or Facebook. But, they're at PAX East.

http://twitter.com/playdek

https://www.facebook.com/Playdek

So? how is Epic Astro Story?

Is it a bit hard to control on Ipod or Iphone? I see screenshots with very small buildings and pieces
I've only played it for 15 minutes so I can't really answer the first question, except I like the fact you can expand.
To answer your second question, I'm playing on a 4S and with the default zoom, I felt inaccurate at times but zooming in helps tremendously.

Fox Mulder

just out of curiosity. why will vice city be less dated? it came out 1 year later.

I didn't mean that GTA 3 felt dated purely on graphics.

Vice City has better characters, plot, setting, music, and personal nostalgia. It also received some gameplay refinements over GTA 3 which will be appreciated.

cackhyena

Mafro

Can anyone recommend a good iPad poker app for beginners? Preferably one that lets you play against AI to learn.

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah, the Mass Effect Datapad was awesome for the messages the characters sent you.. Until I beat the game, then I wanted to throw out everything Mass Effect-related that I owned. Once I beat the third game, it killed the series for me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'll wait for the first sale for Epic Astro Story to, I'm sure it'll drop down to like 2.99 at some point... too much other things to play right now (Nightfall, I'm looking at you, despite your online servers not working atm)

Also, if Vice City comes to iOS... oh god. One of my favourite games of the series, because it has by far the best time-decade in it, it was awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cross-posting from the iOS boardgame thread for anyone figuring out Nightfall. Happy to answer any questions:

-You start out the game with 12 basic cards (2 copies of 6 different weak cards in each of the 6 colors actually).
-At the beginning of the game and at the end of every turn, you draw your hand up to five cards from your draw deck.
-Then you perform all of the phases in order: Combat, Chain, Claim, Cleanup.
-Combat:
Let's skip for now even though it does come first because on Turn 1 you won't have any minions in play to engage in combat.

-Chain:
Funnest part of the game! The cards you have remaining in your hand (if any) you can play to the table. Each card has a big moon -- that is the card's color -- and a little moon or two -- that is what other cards that card can chain into. So I can play a card with a big purple moon and little red and yellow moons, and then if I have any cards with big red or yellow moons I can play one of those, and so forth until I can't "chain" anymore or I don't want to. Now is where it gets even snazzier: Going clockwise from you others can join your chain following the same rules you did and adding to the stack. Just like P1, you can add as many cards as you can chain or want to chain and then once you're done you're done for that round. Then the stack is resolved starting with the last-added card.

Here's a good place to talk about the two different kinds of cards (all cards = "orders") -- Minions & Actions. Minions resolve their chain effects when they come off the stack and then go into your "in play" area to both defend (if you want) and attack at start of your turn (mandatory). Actions just resolve and go to your discard.

Two other notes: "Kickers" mean that if you chain off a card and its main color is the color of the kicker, you get that bonus event. Actions that say "Your Chain" only give you the benefit when you play them on your turn, not others' chains. (The red start guy is like this.), but they still go to your in play area no matter what if they're minions (red start guy).

-Claim:
Buy cards! You can buy cards from your private archives or from the common archives -- as many as you can afford. You pay with "influence" which you get two of for free every buy phase -- and then you can discard cards in hand to get more influence to buy better stuff. The max price I think is 4, so you can often buy a couple cards every Claim phase. Try to get some decent chains going so you don't get stuck often. Everything you buy goes to the top of your discard, which gets reshuffled whenever you run out of cards in your draw deck (which will be many times a game). So you don't get them right away, but often pretty soon.

-Cleanup:
Draw back up to 5. If you have 1 card you held onto (didn't discard for influence), you draw 4, and so forth.

-Combat:
Remember this happens at the beginning of your turn! So as described under Chain you put Minions out to fight for you. Let's say I put two dudes out that have attack 3 and health 2 on a chain phase. They survive and the turn comes all the way back to me. Now I have to send them out to attack others. I get to choose which opponent they attack. Attack is simple -- send a guy out and the target has to decide whether to block (with his in-play minions) or eat the damage. Every point of damage that gets through gives a wound card, and of course person with the fewest wound cards at end of game wins. Then attackers get discarded (attackers never take damage). Blockers get discarded if their health goes to 0, or stick around if not.

Game ends when the wound pile has run out.

hth!

Smiley90

cross-posting from the iOS boardgame thread for anyone figuring out Nightfall. Happy to answer any questions:

-You start out the game with 12 basic cards (2 copies of 6 different weak cards in each of the 6 colors actually).
-At the beginning of the game and at the end of every turn, you draw your hand up to five cards from your draw deck.
-Then you perform all of the phases in order: Combat, Chain, Claim, Cleanup.
-Combat:
Let's skip for now even though it does come first because on Turn 1 you won't have any minions in play to engage in combat.

-Chain:
Funnest part of the game! The cards you have remaining in your hand (if any) you can play to the table. Each card has a big moon -- that is the card's color -- and a little moon or two -- that is what other cards that card can chain into. So I can play a card with a big purple moon and little red and yellow moons, and then if I have any cards with big red or yellow moons I can play one of those, and so forth until I can't "chain" anymore or I don't want to. Now is where it gets even snazzier: Going clockwise from you others can join your chain following the same rules you did and adding to the stack. Just like P1, you can add as many cards as you can chain or want to chain and then once you're done you're done for that round. Then the stack is resolved starting with the last-added card.

Here's a good place to talk about the two different kinds of cards (all cards = "orders") -- Minions & Actions. Minions resolve their chain effects when they come off the stack and then go into your "in play" area to both defend (if you want) and attack at start of your turn (mandatory). Actions just resolve and go to your discard.

Two other notes: "Kickers" mean that if you chain off a card and its main color is the color of the kicker, you get that bonus event. Actions that say "Your Chain" only give you the benefit when you play them on your turn, not others' chains. (The red start guy is like this.), but they still go to your in play area no matter what if they're minions (red start guy).

-Claim:
Buy cards! You can buy cards from your private archives or from the common archives -- as many as you can afford. You pay with "influence" which you get two of for free every buy phase -- and then you can discard cards in hand to get more influence to buy better stuff. The max price I think is 4, so you can often buy a couple cards every Claim phase. Try to get some decent chains going so you don't get stuck often. Everything you buy goes to the top of your discard, which gets reshuffled whenever you run out of cards in your draw deck (which will be many times a game). So you don't get them right away, but often pretty soon.

-Cleanup:
Draw back up to 5. If you have 1 card you held onto (didn't discard for influence), you draw 4, and so forth.

-Combat:
Remember this happens at the beginning of your turn! So as described under Chain you put Minions out to fight for you. Let's say I put two dudes out that have attack 3 and health 2 on a chain phase. They survive and the turn comes all the way back to me. Now I have to send them out to attack others. I get to choose which opponent they attack. Attack is simple -- send a guy out and the target has to decide whether to block (with his in-play minions) or eat the damage. Every point of damage that gets through gives a wound card, and of course person with the fewest wound cards at end of game wins. Then attackers get discarded (attackers never take damage). Blockers get discarded if their health goes to 0, or stick around if not.

Game ends when the wound pile has run out.

hth!

ACTUALLY, YOUR minions fight at the end of HIS turn, and HIS minions fight at the end of YOUR turn. Which makes adding your own minions to an opponents chain even more awesome, because they'll be in attacking in combat right away. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No, your minions only attack at the start of your own turn. This is probably more evident in 3-5p games. See page 11 here: http://www.nightfallgame.com/files/2011/02/AEG-NF-Rulebook.pdf

If you have any minions in play at the start of your turn, you must use them to attack other
players. Each minion attacks one of your opponents. You can send multiple minions against
the same opponent, or divide your minions among opponents as you see fit.
You must send all your attackers at once. Once your attackers are assigned, resolve each
combat in the order you choose.

Smiley90

No, your minions only attack at the start of your own turn. This is probably more evident in 3-5p games. See page 11 here: http://www.nightfallgame.com/files/2011/02/AEG-NF-Rulebook.pdf

Ah I got confused by the ingame-layout, when turns end and when they start. "End of his turn / very start of your turn" is the same thing, I just thought the combat was still part of the other's turn, but it is in fact the start of your own turn, you're right. it's just the VERY first thing, and that's why it confused me, sorry :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah in the 2P game it's probably mostly the same, but not in 3+. The point is you only get one attack shot per round around the table.

I have been ADDICTED to Dice Soccer recently.

It's one of those free to plays that really would have been better as a 3 dollar download- some grinding required, and it's a bit buggy- but damn, if it isn't amazingly fun.

blackflag

Yeah I've been playing nightfall. It is amazing. So much more depth than Ascention although I like that game as well. I've only been playing single player 1v1 so far to get used to the mechanics. I think I've got them down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom