• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a look around app shopper and found Mech Guardian, which looks pretty to say the least.

Then I noticed something eerily familiar...

o9XEM.jpg

Started working on the first update today. We're going to start addressing some of the major concerns - shooting to have a mini-game toggle option in there. We're also going to address difficulty concerns as much as possible.

So apparently they will address the taptaptaptap of saturday morning rpg. That's cool.

Mildly off topic, but I have over 1GB of "other" on my iPhone. Is there some way to find out what that is? It's kind of a lot.

On topic, ish, does anyone know if there's something special about this app icon? As far as I know it was first used for Chain Link Pro, but I've seen at least ten apps using it since then. I don't understand why they're all stealing the same random icon.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm really enjoying Finger Shot RPG, even though it's unbalanced as fuck, beyond stupid AI, and some really annoying sponge units that are beyond tedious to kill when your mages are like oiled up hockey pucks who fly across the map from being tapped.

If they'd polish it up it'd be a really good game, but they seemed to just focus on putting in more units instead of really balancing the units they were making.

Too many guys do 1 damage to someone even though they are leveled up, and others do way too much damage (or take damage) that they are 1-shot killed too easy.

Anyhow, it was free.. I almost feel bad bitching about it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bug Princess for $2.99. Mind as well grab it later tonight...I still have yet to play Espgaluda 2. I have Esp 2, Dodonpachi, and Bug Princess 2 and haven't beaten any of them. But whatever, Cave rox

soldat7

Yeah I've been playing nightfall. It is amazing. So much more depth than Ascention although I like that game as well. I've only been playing single player 1v1 so far to get used to the mechanics. I think I've got them down now.

Can you access your friends list in this one (Nightfall)? You never could in Ascension until they patched it and you still can't in Food Fight (if you have more than like 50 or 100 GC friends or something...)

sladeums

Can you access your friends list in this one (Nightfall)? You never could in Ascension until they patched it and you still can't in Food Fight (if you have more than like 50 or 100 GC friends or something...)

yes you can access your friends list, see if they are online and view their stats

soldat7

yes you can access your friends list, see if they are online and view their stats

Nope. This is a bug they've had in every app they've released (related to high number of friends in friends list.) Try to connect to server and it fails. Try again and it succeeds, yet the friends list is completely empty. Ascension had this problem (but was patched quickly), Food Fight suffers from it to this day, and now Nightfall.

Might request a refund from Apple.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nope. This is a bug they've had in every app they've released (related to high number of friends in friends list.) Try to connect to server and it fails. Try again and it succeeds, yet the friends list is completely empty. Ascension had this problem (but was patched quickly), Food Fight suffers from it to this day, and now Nightfall.

Might request a refund from Apple.

Motherfuckers. Although they did fix it in Ascension to the point where Ascension works pretty flawessly overall now. Also there are lots of us playing Nightfall right now soldat I'm sure you can get people to invite you from the thread -- that's what I'm doing. Hell half the open public games right now are people from the iOS boardgaming thread.

Game is very fun 2P and 4P it's real cool to do the drafts.

soldat7

Motherfuckers. Although they did fix it in Ascension to the point where Ascension works pretty flawessly overall now. Also there are lots of us playing Nightfall right now soldat I'm sure you can get people to invite you from the thread -- that's what I'm doing. Hell half the open public games right now are people from the iOS boardgaming thread.

Game is very fun 2P and 4P it's real cool to do the drafts.

Cool beans. Now to learn how to play this sucker...after my homework. :|

I've just started playing Assassins Creed Recollections, and I really don't get it. I did the whole tutorial but it still makes pretty much 0 sense to me. Are the other deck building games as complicated, and similar in how they play?
What aren't you grokking? There are a couple of aspect that the tutorial doesn't explain well. The one that bit me in the ass a bunch was that once you control a region, your opponent can still score in it and eventually steal control of it away from you.

Also as I understand the genre, it's not a DBG, it's a straight up CCG, played in real time. I wouldn't even bother with the deck (sequence) building aspect until well into the single player campaign. I did the whole campaign and half of the challenges using nothing but the initial deck.

seady

Anyone tried the new Skylanders game?

Also, LostWinds controls is freaking horrible. The ambiguity of the swiping mechanic is made even worse with the no-feedback touch screen. I never played the Wii game, is it just as crap?

cross-posting from the iOS boardgame thread for anyone figuring out Nightfall. Happy to answer any questions:

-You start out the game with 12 basic cards (2 copies of 6 different weak cards in each of the 6 colors actually).
-At the beginning of the game and at the end of every turn, you draw your hand up to five cards from your draw deck.
-Then you perform all of the phases in order: Combat, Chain, Claim, Cleanup.
-Combat:
Let's skip for now even though it does come first because on Turn 1 you won't have any minions in play to engage in combat.

-Chain:
Funnest part of the game! The cards you have remaining in your hand (if any) you can play to the table. Each card has a big moon -- that is the card's color -- and a little moon or two -- that is what other cards that card can chain into. So I can play a card with a big purple moon and little red and yellow moons, and then if I have any cards with big red or yellow moons I can play one of those, and so forth until I can't "chain" anymore or I don't want to. Now is where it gets even snazzier: Going clockwise from you others can join your chain following the same rules you did and adding to the stack. Just like P1, you can add as many cards as you can chain or want to chain and then once you're done you're done for that round. Then the stack is resolved starting with the last-added card.

Here's a good place to talk about the two different kinds of cards (all cards = "orders") -- Minions & Actions. Minions resolve their chain effects when they come off the stack and then go into your "in play" area to both defend (if you want) and attack at start of your turn (mandatory). Actions just resolve and go to your discard.

Two other notes: "Kickers" mean that if you chain off a card and its main color is the color of the kicker, you get that bonus event. Actions that say "Your Chain" only give you the benefit when you play them on your turn, not others' chains. (The red start guy is like this.), but they still go to your in play area no matter what if they're minions (red start guy).

-Claim:
Buy cards! You can buy cards from your private archives or from the common archives -- as many as you can afford. You pay with "influence" which you get two of for free every buy phase -- and then you can discard cards in hand to get more influence to buy better stuff. The max price I think is 4, so you can often buy a couple cards every Claim phase. Try to get some decent chains going so you don't get stuck often. Everything you buy goes to the top of your discard, which gets reshuffled whenever you run out of cards in your draw deck (which will be many times a game). So you don't get them right away, but often pretty soon.

-Cleanup:
Draw back up to 5. If you have 1 card you held onto (didn't discard for influence), you draw 4, and so forth.

-Combat:
Remember this happens at the beginning of your turn! So as described under Chain you put Minions out to fight for you. Let's say I put two dudes out that have attack 3 and health 2 on a chain phase. They survive and the turn comes all the way back to me. Now I have to send them out to attack others. I get to choose which opponent they attack. Attack is simple -- send a guy out and the target has to decide whether to block (with his in-play minions) or eat the damage. Every point of damage that gets through gives a wound card, and of course person with the fewest wound cards at end of game wins. Then attackers get discarded (attackers never take damage). Blockers get discarded if their health goes to 0, or stick around if not.

Game ends when the wound pile has run out.

hth!

is this the new Carc companion game?

GeekyDad

Also, LostWinds controls is freaking horrible. The ambiguity of the swiping mechanic is made even worse with the no-feedback touch screen. I never played the Wii game, is it just as crap?

The two LostWinds games are a couple of the best games on Wii, Wiiware or otherwise. Personally, I think they're the two games that, in the history of the system, have probably done the most in terms of making practical use of the controls in the way we were all led to believe Wii was intended for as a gaming system.

Downloaded the iPhone version, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I do know, however, there are different control options. You may want to play around with those a bit.

Why is Sword & Poker 1-2 no longer on the store? It's not even on my purchase list either.

So if I delete it OR there's an ios firmware update and it no longer works than I can never play this amazing gem again.

What gives?

Heel

Why is Sword & Poker 1-2 no longer on the store? It's not even on my purchase list either.

So if I delete it OR there's an ios firmware update and it no longer works than I can never play this amazing gem again.

What gives?

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this. I WANT TO BUY THEM!

vehn

Can someone take a picture of Epic Astro Story on their 4S? I mean is everything a bit blurry still?

I'm playing it on the new iPad and it was the iPhone size by default, had to 2X it to make it almost full screen (as usual for iPhone games). Looks pretty much the same as game dev story

sladeums

all these 2K titles are on sale
$1 for iPhone, $2 for iPad versions

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Sid Meier's Pirates!
NBA 2K12 for iPad 
2K Sports NHL 2K11

Proc

Sid Meier's Pirates! for iPad 
NBA 2K12 for iPad 
2K Sports NHL 2K11
I'm starting to see the appeal of buying tons of games. The frequency of good game sales is on par with steam. I'm getting both sid games for sure.

Heel

Sid Meier's Pirates! for iPad 
NBA 2K12 for iPad 
2K Sports NHL 2K11

Great deal! Glad I waited on Civ and Pirates now.

I'm starting to see the appeal of buying tons of games. The frequency of good game sales is on par with steam. I'm getting both sid games for sure.

Yeah, now to actually play some of them...haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom