• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not in every case. I purchased Hungry Cat for my iPhone from the app store awhile back cause the wife loved it. The free version was even in the top 25 downloads for some time. When she got her own iPhone we went to download it and it was nowhere to be found. Gone from the app store as well as my purchase history.
I called Apple about it, and there was nothing they could do. So yeah, if I delete the game it's gone for good.

Another option would be to jailbreak your device and "pirate" the game you've already purchased.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know if it's just the cult of the new or what but I'm really digging Nightfall, even with the annoying thing where you have to connect twice to play online. Really can't wait for the expansions.

heringer

I don't know if it's just the cult of the new or what but I'm really digging Nightfall, even with the annoying thing where you have to connect twice to play online. Really can't wait for the expansions.

I did the tutorial and couldn't understand a thing, hah.

Will try again later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I did the tutorial and couldn't understand a thing, hah.

Will try again later.

I posted a slapped-together explanation in here and in the iOS BG thread if that helps. The tutorial is not really that great at teaching the game. It's medium complexity but not as inscrutable as the tutorial makes it seem.

dream

Question for anyone playing epic astro story. What do you do after you uncover every area and explore the 2 planets? I really have nothing left. There is one area left to uncover but my guys aren't powerful enough to kill the guys at the end, yet I can't really make enough money to level them.

Have you researched bridges yet? You can unlock the snow area with it.

As for money, at this point of the game, you'll probably want to set your factories to make chocolate cakes or foie gras steaks and sell them to tourists.

heringer

I posted a slapped-together explanation in here and in the iOS BG thread if that helps. The tutorial is not really that great at teaching the game. It's medium complexity but not as inscrutable as the tutorial makes it seem.

Glad to hear! I'll read your post now, thanks!

Goli

After seeing people here discuss and seeing the App Store page for Epic Astro Story, I got curious about the other Kairosoft games since they're all widely recommended in every iOS gaming webpage ever, and decided to get Game Dev Story to see how it was and see if I'd purchase Epic Astro Story and... ohmygod.
If Game Dev Story is this good, I can't imagine how the other games are; I am now a Kairosoft believer!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Glad to hear! I'll read your post now, thanks!

yeah don't feel bad. board games are pretty much my top hobby by far and nightfall was a total blur for me for the first day or so. believe it or not with just a little reading you can get to the point where every single thing that's happening off-turn makes complete sense. once it clicks it's VERY easy.

yogloo

After people here discuss and seeing the App Store page for Epic Astro Story, I got curious about the other Kairosoft games since they're all widely recommended in every iOS gaming webpage ever, and decided to get Game Dev Story to see how it was and see if I'd purchase Epic Astro Story and... ohmygod.
If Game Dev Story is this good, I can't imagine how the other games are; I am now a Kairosoft believer!

One of us!! One of us!!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
After people here discuss and seeing the App Store page for Epic Astro Story, I got curious about the other Kairosoft games since they're all widely recommended in every iOS gaming webpage ever, and decided to get Game Dev Story to see how it was and see if I'd purchase Epic Astro Story and... ohmygod.

GDS is probably the best one

With all the great content on the app store, it'd also be interesting to pick the absolute worst games. I mean, ones that have atrocious gameplay, art, janky controls, etc.

Or maybe to make it a little easier, the most disappointing ones due to either potential or hype.

Shaneus

With all the great content on the app store, it'd also be interesting to pick the absolute worst games. I mean, ones that have atrocious gameplay, art, janky controls, etc.

Or maybe to make it a little easier, the most disappointing ones due to either potential or hype.
Or you could go the ones that are bad but are so bad they're good... in a deliberate way. Like Realistic Summer Sports.

SteveWD40

For those that had issues with Saturday Morning RPG combat:

Started working on the first update today. We're going to start addressing some of the major concerns - shooting to have a mini-game toggle option in there. We're also going to address difficulty concerns as much as possible.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Not in every case. I purchased Hungry Cat for my iPhone from the app store awhile back cause the wife loved it. The free version was even in the top 25 downloads for some time. When she got her own iPhone we went to download it and it was nowhere to be found. Gone from the app store as well as my purchase history.
I called Apple about it, and there was nothing they could do. So yeah, if I delete the game it's gone for good.

And this is why I keep every app backed up on my PC. Especially the ones I really like . Heck, I even keep multiple versions of some games just in case the developers do some nefarious IAP shit and mess up my "full" version of a game. Lesson learned hopefully. Don't fully trust "the cloud".

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have you researched bridges yet? You can unlock the snow area with it.

As for money, at this point of the game, you'll probably want to set your factories to make chocolate cakes or foie gras steaks and sell them to tourists.

Maybe I still don't know the best way to play lol. Do you have to have as many people as factories and gardens? Did not know you could research bridges. :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't figure the damn factories out in epic astro story. I have 2 with fields attached to the front and back, but they aren't doing anything at all. Do I have to have one person per factory/garden?

I just can't make money lol.

For some reason that thread isn't coming up on search. Is Boardgame in the title? The link in the OP logs me out of GAF every time.

Zeth

1CCed Bug Princess 2 Original - Hard for 120mil, Gamecenter hasn't updated which has me worried but I have a lot of room for improvement. This was the first time I ventured away from Reco/Normal, used Palm w/ abnormal shot. I'm gonna have to read up on that because it seemed to boost my score a lot, especially in stage 5 with the 360 degree spread on A shot/green.

This is easily my favorite Cave shooter, for now. I need to put some work in on Maniac though, I'm not very good at chaining in general.

Edit: I suck at shmups, this is not a brag post, more of a progress report. I've never 1CCed DDPR on Hard. The Cave games with 3 difficulties are much harder than those with 4 it seems.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
1CCed Bug Princess 2 Original - Hard for 120mil, Gamecenter hasn't updated which has me worried but I have a lot of room for improvement. This was the first time I ventured away from Reco/Normal, used Palm w/ abnormal shot. I'm gonna have to read up on that because it seemed to boost my score a lot, especially in stage 5 with the 360 degree spread on A shot/green.

This is easily my favorite Cave shooter, for now. I need to put some work in on Maniac though, I'm not very good at chaining in general.

Edit: I suck at shmups, this is not a brag post, more of a progress report. I've never 1CCed DDPR on Hard. The Cave games with 3 difficulties are much harder than those with 4 it seems.

DDP has always been my favorite shmup, and it still is when it comes to bullet patterns, but damn if the enemy design in Bug Princess 2 isn't freaking amazing. The bullet patterns are ok, but I don't like the snake enemies in either Stage 3 or Stage 4 and how they block all your shots until they are killed.

I gave the Lite version of Espgaluda II a shot, but I don't like the shooting mechanics. I like the tried and true Shot versus Laser, didn't even really understand what was going on with the different kinds of shots in that one.

Bug Princess 2 is awesome though. I haven't 1CCed hard yet, got to stage 4 I think before crapping the bed.

Can you explain the differences between Abnormal and Normal shots?

I've been a bit disappointed, actually. It's close with Dominion for my favorite deck building game offline, but the implementation is very confusing, and the interface isn't very good. I can only imagine what a newbie to the game would think. Perhaps I just need to play a few more games in order to fully get the program.

I'm wondering why there are so many issues
With iOS achievements triggering...I've noticed it with Beat Sneak Agent, Anomoly Warzone Earth and now Scribblenauts. Some fire and some won't... I don't get it...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been a bit disappointed, actually. It's close with Dominion for my favorite deck building game offline, but the implementation is very confusing, and the interface isn't very good. I can only imagine what a newbie to the game would think. Perhaps I just need to play a few more games in order to fully get the program.

I like the game a lot, it reminds me a lot more of Dominion than Ascension, with the permanent middle row.

It has some UI flaws though:

-Server connection problems
-Friendlist won't show up for large friendlists
-It DESPERATELY needs something to show you all cards that you've aquired so far (similar to the green deck button in Ascension), otherwise it can get quite confusing with many multiplayer games, because I forget what I already have and can only see my discard pile.

I wanna buy a boardgame for my Ipad, but tbh....I'm not too familiar with those games.
I'm going for a short holiday soon, and those games seem fun to play with my wife.

I'm interested in Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride. Which one should I pick?

Smiley90

I wanna buy a boardgame for my Ipad, but tbh....I'm not too familiar with those games.
I'm going for a short holiday soon, and those games seem fun to play with my wife.

I'm interested in Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride. Which one should I pick?

Both. (Carcassonne is probably better, but if you're afraid of the price, Ticket to Ride is just as good. Also, careful, Ticket to Ride POCKET is the only one that has async multiplayer, but Ticket to Ride has more expansions! It's a weird situation, IMHO Pocket is better, even if you have an iPad.)

Both. (Carcassonne is probably better, but if you're afraid of the price, Ticket to Ride is just as good. Also, careful, Ticket to Ride POCKET is the only one that has async multiplayer, but Ticket to Ride has more expansions! It's a weird situation, IMHO Pocket is better, even if you have an iPad.)

Thanks! I'll buy TTR first and when I like it Carcassonne will be next :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
And this is why I keep every app backed up on my PC. Especially the ones I really like . Heck, I even keep multiple versions of some games just in case the developers do some nefarious IAP shit and mess up my "full" version of a game. Lesson learned hopefully. Don't fully trust "the cloud".

Another reason apps you've purchased previously won't show in your purchased list is if they were bought before your Apple ID was updated into an email address (wasn't mandatory pre iOS 5 and iCloud) if yours wasn't previously.

E.g. purchases done on account "appleid" won't show up in the purchase list once that account is changed to "appleid@me.com" or similar even though it's the same account and "appleid" ceases to exist.

Smiley90

Thanks! I'll buy TTR first and when I like it Carcassonne will be next :D

Just make sure you inform yourself about the differences between TTR Pocket and TTR. ;) Pocket is for iPhone and will thus not run at retina on ipad, but it has async play which is pretty great for online multiplayer... if you don't care about that, then you'll be fine with TTR :)

I like the game a lot, it reminds me a lot more of Dominion than Ascension, with the permanent middle row.

It has some UI flaws though:

-Server connection problems
-Friendlist won't show up for large friendlists
-It DESPERATELY needs something to show you all cards that you've aquired so far (similar to the green deck button in Ascension), otherwise it can get quite confusing with many multiplayer games, because I forget what I already have and can only see my discard pile.

One thing that I do really like is that it has a wound counter. The offline version doesn't have it, but could really use it. I usually just use a pen and paper to keep track, but some sticklers in the pen and paper world won't let you do that.

Smiley90

One thing that I do really like is that it has a wound counter. The offline version doesn't have it, but could really use it. I usually just use a pen and paper to keep track, but some sticklers in the pen and paper world won't let you do that.

By offline you mean real-life, not singleplayer, right? :D

Also, Drafting is awesome, I love it.

Zzoram

Is Civ Rev HD functional and does it control well?

It seems to not get updated often so I'm wondering if it's really buggy.

Mrbob

If I couldn't get into Game Dev Story what are the odds I'd like Astro Story?

Astro Story is quite different than Game Dev Story. Game Dev Story is a bit overrated. I think because it was first people keep it in a higher light. I like Game Dev Story, but Mega Mall Story, Grand Prix Story, and Pocket League are more enjoyable for me. They have more meat to their games. Game Dev is pretty simple overall. There are plenty of Lite versions available for Kairosoft games, check some out!

Didn't get a clear answer when I asked a few weeks back but has anyone played Yoot Tower with the latest update? I heard the release version was kind of spotty and was wondering if the update fixed anything.

heringer

yeah don't feel bad. board games are pretty much my top hobby by far and nightfall was a total blur for me for the first day or so. believe it or not with just a little reading you can get to the point where every single thing that's happening off-turn makes complete sense. once it clicks it's VERY easy.

Ah! Much better. Went to the tutorial for the second time and after your explanation post things ares starting to make sense now. Still not quite sure about a couple of things, but I'm getting there, thanks!

Smiley90

Ah! Much better. Went to the tutorial for the second time and after your explanation post things ares starting to make sense now. Still not quite sure about a couple of things, but I'm getting there, thanks!

There's also a pretty good manual if you go to the Options, it's 17 pages :p

Heel

Carc. Yes, I know the $10 plus expansion is a lot. But, you will play it. A lot. The price/value ratio is off the freakin charts.

Agreed, Carcassonne is straight crack. It was the first board game I bought for iOS and what I play most often on iPad now. It's like a gateway drug. I wasn't even really into board games before I got an iPad, just merely curious, and now I'm hooked.

Bento

Just wanted to say that I'm absolutely loving Bug Princess 2! :) Still not very good at it though, at 665th place in Maniac mode lol :p
Not looking forward to Ultra :(
I'm curious, is this the original arcade difficulty? Also congrats on the 1 credit maniac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom