• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Glad to have spotted this thread; I may be a frequent visitor. We just got our first Apple product of any kind, ever: an iPad 2: 32 GB, white, Verizon 3G (which I'll only activate while traveling), refurbished from Apple (extra $150 off).

I like the device, but my first act was to buy the $.99 version of Angry Birds (a couple of them) only to find they are not suited to my device; really shouldn't have the iPhone versions visible for the iPad. I got the $3.99 one right after but felt a wee bit ripped off.

It'll be a week or so before it stops being an Angry Birds simulator for the kids and we broaden it out a bit. Pretty great device, but it's a whole new tech ecosystem to figure out, and feels a bit daunting.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Glad to have spotted this thread; I may be a frequent visitor. We just got our first Apple product of any kind, ever: an iPad 2: 32 GB, white, Verizon 3G (which I'll only activate while traveling), refurbished from Apple (extra $150 off).

I like the device, but my first act was to buy the $.99 version of Angry Birds (a couple of them) only to find they are not suited to my device; really shouldn't have the iPhone versions visible for the iPad. I got the $3.99 one right after but felt a wee bit ripped off.

It'll be a week or so before it stops being an Angry Birds simulator for the kids and we broaden it out a bit. Pretty great device, but it's a whole new tech ecosystem to figure out, and feels a bit daunting.

Make sure to check out the first post of this thread, lots of great lists, links and recommendations in it! And feel free to ask for personal recommendations too, whatever you're looking for ;)

You could request a refund from Apple via their ExpressLane web site. I was able to get a refund when I accidentally purchased the iPhone version of a game rather than the iPad version.

....and be sure to download something like appshopper. It'll help with sorting your catalog and giving you the best info on deals for iOS.

Still playing Bug Princess 2.

Beat Ultra on Normal just now. Went through 2 continues. Sometimes I wonder how the hell I dodged these bullets. I couldn't do this on the 360, lol. Thank you, touch controls.

6 more achievements left and I don't expect to get them any time soon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah! Much better. Went to the tutorial for the second time and after your explanation post things ares starting to make sense now. Still not quite sure about a couple of things, but I'm getting there, thanks!

yeah feel free to ask too. most of us have/are working through the little minor questions

Smiley90

yeah feel free to ask too. most of us have/are working through the little minor questions

Hey AstroLad, do you know which achievements unlock the Promo cards in Nightfall? I've only unlocked Zombie Horde so far and have no idea how... or how to unlock the others.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey AstroLad, do you know which achievements unlock the Promo cards in Nightfall? I've only unlocked Zombie Horde so far and have no idea how... or how to unlock the others.

stolen from BGG:

Zombie Horde - win the tutorial game
Lisaveta - chain 1000 orders (I think this was the achievement)
Shadow Seven - win a 4 or 5 player game with less than 5 wounds

Smiley90

stolen from BGG:

Zombie Horde - win the tutorial game
Lisaveta - chain 1000 orders (I think this was the achievement)
Shadow Seven - win a 4 or 5 player game with less than 5 wounds

... well, fuck. Lisaveta and especially Shadow Seven are ridiculously OP. Rightfully hard to get I guess :/

Smiley90

When you unlock a promo card, are you the only one able to use it or is everybody in that game able to?

Everyone, when you start the game in the details you can choose to include/exclude it, and it can be randomly assigned/drafted like a normal card stack. There'll be 7 of them as well, just like any other card. In draft, it'll mostly not be in a private archive though, because anyone smart enough will discard it before it can be drafted :p

Zeth

Still playing Bug Princess 2.

Beat Ultra on Normal just now. Went through 2 continues. Sometimes I wonder how the hell I dodged these bullets. I couldn't do this on the 360, lol. Thank you, touch controls.

6 more achievements left and I don't expect to get them any time soon.

I feel the same way after some of my good runs, feels like it's just muscle memory, like there's no way I can consciously dodge all these bullets. Or something like that. Maniac is killing me, even on normal I end up dying before the stage 5 1up.

I like the original scoring more than maniac, I think I need to watch some play throughs to figure it out. It's basically just building meter and lazering when it's red for double gems, right?

IllumiNate

Been playing DDPR HD and loving it so far, this is my first Cave shooter. I'm wondering how some things work like some bullets look like they hit me but I pass through them. During the first boss battle when your trapped between his lasers and he throws blue fireballs at you, is there a way to avoid them without using a bomb?
I'm on lvl 3 now and have used a continue, how many lives and continues do we get?

Been playing DDPR HD and loving it so far, this is my first Cave shooter. I'm wondering how some things work like some bullets look like they hit me but I pass through them. During the first boss battle when your trapped between his lasers and he throws blue fireballs at you, is there a way to avoid them without using a bomb?
I'm on lvl 3 now and have used a continue, how many lives and continues do we get?

Flashing dot on the roof of your ship is the hitbox, not the actual ship.

Agreed, Carcassonne is straight crack. It was the first board game I bought for iOS and what I play most often on iPad now. It's like a gateway drug. I wasn't even really into board games before I got an iPad, just merely curious, and now I'm hooked.

Played traditional Carc round a table with my wife and in-laws tonight. If you think the digital versions are fun, it gets even better when you bring in the co-op/competitive interactions you can have. Digital Carc is easier to play at the pub with mates or on a train though. :)

Zeth

Switch your shot to laser and you can push back enemy lasers so you're not trapped. Most of the games add additional continues every other game over, not sure if it's the same for DDPR.

Ravenmark is what you want sir. Kickass game.

What he said. Not a huge fan of the genre but if you are, it's amazing.

bubnbob

Banned
Been trying new games all day, so many good ones. Is there any tactics rpg? Like Fire emblen, fftactics, advance wars, etc

Shining Force is on iOS, only a dollar.

Mecho Wars
Ravenmark
Great Little War Game
Hunters
Hunters 2
Squids (close enough)

edit:

Dungeon Crawlers (on sale for $1)
Song Summoner
The War of Eustrath
Military Madness
Transformers G1 Awakening

Vire

Welcome friend!

Be sure to check out Beat Sneak Bandit, Infinity Blade and Where's My Water for iPad.

Really cool exclusives.

Also Draw Something is a great freebie.

Santiako

Shining Force is on iOS, only a dollar.

Mecho Wars
Ravenmark
Great Little War Game
Hunters
Hunters 2
Squids (close enough)

edit:

Dungeon Crawlers (on sale for $1)
Song Summoner
The War of Eustrath
Military Madness
Transformers G1 Awakening

Thanks, I'll look into these.

ToxicAdam

Geez, I am already developing a backlog on this platform. Finished Swordigo, Reckless Racing 2 and almost done with Undercroft ... But still haven't touched Hunters 2, Bards Tale or FSRpg!

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
I am massively obsessed with Hero Academy after trying it on the ipad. Bought the dwarves today and think I am going to end up buying all the factions to show my support. Fantastic game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So anyone picked up Fealty?

Looks interesting, but I haven't even played the physical version.

ha! we were just talking about it in the ios board-game thread because the online seems to be up and running. realllly perfect game for asynchronous play. very few turns, but pretty tactically interesting for an abstract game. drop me an invite (astrolad) there's also a few other people with the game listed in our spreadsheet if you want to start something up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom