• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PittaGAF

Gene Effect is soooooo good.
Sooooooo good.

Hands down one of the best games I ever played on the platform, period.
Would be the same if on PC, XLBA or PSN.
I'm towards the end (mission 17 out of 25) and the game continues to amaze me in every way.

Gratuitious Space Battles got an update...but the App Store won't let me install it.

So I download it on my computer and verify it's the updated version...and when I upload that one to the iPad, it still shows the old version as installed. I don't even.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's gonna be guud.

:)

So when do you guys think the new overhauled OP should hit? ASAP or waiting for OT5 (which seems so far away, 20k posts is the quota and I don't know if you can ask mods to lock a thread before that or if that'd be even fair to do)? Because I'm not sure the logistics of the challenges would go down smoothly without the new op stuff (again, thanks to LastWindow, Tunesmith and the others, you'll get fully credited in the op of course)... I'd have to look into that.
It's pretty fair to think that nobody would give a shit about a new OP for Thread4 at this point and it'd sure ruin a bit of the magic of Thread5 by getting a somewhat oldish OP for that... or not?

Real world problems.

We could just get Heel to spend the next few days making 7,000 different posts giving shit away, and get to OT5 really quickly.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

So when do you guys think the new overhauled OP should hit? ASAP or waiting for OT5 (which seems so far away, 20k posts is the quota and I don't know if you can ask mods to lock a thread before that or if that'd be even fair to do)? Because I'm not sure the logistics of the challenges would go down smoothly without the new op stuff (again, thanks to LastWindow, Tunesmith and the others, you'll get fully credited in the op of course)... I'd have to look into that.
It's pretty fair to think that nobody would give a shit about a new OP for Thread4 at this point and it'd sure ruin a bit of the magic of Thread5 by getting a somewhat oldish OP for that... or not?

Real world problems.

We could just get Heel to spend the next few days making 7,000 different posts giving shit away, and get to OT5 really quickly.

But seriously, probably just easier to replace the OP here with a new one, really.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there any iOS equivalent to those old 3D Pong flash games?

Also, best iOS pinball game?

Pinball Arcade hands down.

Gene Effect is soooooo good.
Sooooooo good.

Hands down one of the best games I ever played on the platform, period.
Would be the same if on PC, XLBA or PSN.
I'm towards the end (mission 17 out of 25) and the game continues to amaze me in every way.

Go on, know nothing about this game but I'm officially interested now

bubnbob

Banned
btw: I recall some people here finished Chaos Rings 2. Is it worth the ~$20? How's the balance of difficulty?

Hell YES it is. I think difficulty is just right. They nerfed a lot of stuff (especially how Genes are handled). I'm still doing the side missions, theres a bunch in post-game, and you can even get a bonus ending for doing them all. They fixed a ton of stuff. Love love love it

Square Enix remains king of iOS. As close to the quality of a console/portable game you will get.

Heel

But seriously, probably just easier to replace the OP here with a new one, really.

Don't tempt me, brah. I've elevated myself to posting sales and giving one sentence reviews like the rest of the thread. I hope you're happy.

Don't tempt me, brah. I've elevated myself to posting sales and giving one sentence reviews like the rest of the thread. I hope you're happy.

Haha. I don't mind you giving codes away really, you had some funny challenges. It's just nice now that it's a couple of posts every page rather than thirty posts (from various people) every page which basically steamroller over everything else.

It was just a bit excessive.

Wow. The touch arcade app seems to be pretty well done. I know there is a lot of dislike of TA here, but the app seems to be a good way to keep up with some of the new releases and whatnot.
Yeah I really like it. Although it's quite little laggy on some screens on my iPhone 4.

Real world problems.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I'll update that iCade post with info on the newer models. I haven't forgotten!

GeekyDad

This week's free Starbucks game is Lost Winds. It's pretty good, right?

Yeah, it's excellent. The controls on iOS are nowhere near as satisfying as they are on Wii, but the essence is still there. Could use a few more tweaks control-wise, but it makes a nice fit for the platform.

jlevel13

I tried Death Rally since it's "free" today, but I just couldn't get used to the virtual joystick steering - it truly felt horrible. The Reckless Racing 2 left and right controls seem like a much better way to do virtual controls with the overhead view...

Citizen K

Tribez is top-notch. I'm on my second island and it's still as addictive as ever. They did really well on the balancing in this game and the polish on it is terrific. Money/resources come in at just a good enough of a clip to where you don't get bored or you blow through the game too fast. After you settle in, you log in for about 10 minutes every few hours and plan your next path of growth.

It really would be a perfect Iphone game, but it's just too much for it to handle.

Tribez is announced for iPhone, looking forward to it!

ToxicAdam

Great news on Tribez for the IPhone. I think people will really enjoy it.

Death Rally is kind of fun. Definitely controls like ass compared to RR2, but it has great polish and nice progression. A worthwhile diversion, but not top of it's genre.

dantehemi

The giveaways are insufferable. It's just marketing, plain and simple. Reading this thread is like browsing Craigslist now. Where's the conversation?

And to the gimmie gimmie freebie crowd: The little thrill you get from "winning" a free code is the sensation of being manipulated by price games. Play something you actually want to play for once.

I kinda agree with this, I don't mind the give always, but it seems like now it's page after page of "this is free" "this is good" I remember when there was always a "game of the moment" and we all discussed and competed, thinking like: tiny wings, dungeon raid, mx motorsports, jet pack joy ride etc.....

I haven't been active in this forum for a while now, but I used to be and I miss how this thread used to be, but I still love iOS gaf and will continue to lurk this thread daily, just want to see the comraderie come back.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I kinda agree with this, I don't mind the give always, but it seems like now it's page after page of "this is free" "this is good" I remember when there was always a "game of the moment" and we all discussed and competed, thinking like: tiny wings, dungeon raid, mx motorsports, jet pack joy ride etc.....

I haven't been active in this forum for a while now, but I used to be and I miss how this thread used to be, but I still love iOS gaf and will continue to lurk this thread daily, just want to see the comraderie come back.
I think, for the most part, it's working itself out. The giveaways are slowly subsiding and (hopefully) being less like blatant marketing (with the exception of PikPok games). I think everything's going back to normal and this dissipating as an issue.

Anyway, is there any way to grab Lost Winds for free without going to Starbucks? I remember actually buying that for my Wii - it was pretty fun!

Also, is The Incredible Machine any good on here? That was one of my favorite PC games back in the day, but this version seems kinda dumbed down for iOS. Anyone play it?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I meant is it a local download, or do you get a card or something? I'm stuck in the hospital, so if it's something physical I could just have a friend swing by.

Heel

I meant is it a local download, or do you get a card or something? I'm stuck in the hospital, so if it's something physical I could just have a friend swing by.

You get a code, which were kindly shared in this thread. That's where the humor came in.

I will get you a code, okay? Now we're all friends.

Dacvak

You get a code, which were kindly shared in this thread. That's where the humor came in.

I will get you a code, okay? Now we're all friends.
Ah, gotcha. Anyway, don't worry about it. I've already played it on the Wii, so someone else can have it

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

I miss it when everyone was sort of playing the same game too but I guess that's also because there hasn't been an attention grabbing release like that lately, or there are just too many good options now. Hopefully the resurrection of the challenges will bring a bit of that back.

Could I get a code, too? I'm overseas. I'll be your bestest friend.
Same here, and on top of that I'll give one internets to the kind soul.

Heel

Could I get a code, too? I'm overseas. I'll be your bestest friend.

Same here, and on top of that I'll give one internets to the kind soul.

I'm pretty sure Starbucks codes are U.S. only.

Anyway, I'm not giving away codes anymore unless your name is dream. I'm too busy formulating my own hyperbolic complaint about giving away codes that tops "The giveaways are insufferable."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm pretty sure Starbucks codes are U.S. only.

Anyway, I'm not giving away codes anymore unless your name is dream. I'm too busy formulating my own hyperbolic complaint about giving away codes that tops "The giveaways are insufferable."
I have an extra US account for these cases but it's ok, at first I was going to reply only in response to dantehemi's post but then I decided to join the meta-fun of the giveaway drama and ask for a code to make people's eyes twitch from the begging.

11 straight posts above this one are nothing but people talking about either having or wanting free codes. Amazing. Remember when we had a thread about iOS gaming?

For the record, I think it's nice you guys are so generous, but I don't see why it has to come with trollbait snark, and I don't see why it has to be in this thread.

dantehemi

I played a couple minuites tonight, not sure how I feel about it yet, but Im pretty sure it's gonna get some good play time this week.

dantehemi

Forget the "my favorite game" question: it's been done, but what I want to know is what are some games people like to play while listening to podcast? So far I'm liking monster flip alot while listening to my ever growing backlog of podcasts, what are some others, past and present. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say dungeon raid must be a great podcast game (does it allow you to listen to iTunes while playing?)
I think this is a good group to put games into, as some find it difficult to play a game and be able to concentrate on the podcast at the same time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tribez is announced for iPhone, looking forward to it!

For real? Is there a release-date?

PS: I snagged four Starbucks codes for LostWinds but I guess since giveaways are frowned upon in here now I'll just throw them in the garbage? Is that how this thread now works?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why not make an IOS giveaway thread and make everybody happy? I imagine the only people who wouldn't like this are those who exploit this thread for marketing purposes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
this thread is basically a big ass ad for promoting your games with free codes now

It happens like twice a week, the rest it's other gaffers giving out free codes from the goodness of their hearts or because they found it somewhere (e.g. Starbucks), and then 20 posts of people complaining about how the 2 posts of giveaways take up too much valuable space in this thread that's supposedly only about DISCUSSIONS. From what I read in the title it says "gaming" thread, doesn't say "game discussion" thread, so I still don't understand what's wrong with giving away FREE things. I really don't. It's like complaining about getting too much change back.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It happens like twice a week, the rest it's other gaffers giving out free codes from the goodness of their hearts or because they found it somewhere (e.g. Starbucks), and then 20 posts of people complaining about how the 2 posts of giveaways take up too much valuable space in this thread that's supposedly only about DISCUSSIONS. From what I read in the title it says "gaming" thread, doesn't say "game discussion" thread, so I still don't understand what's wrong with giving away FREE things. I really don't. It's like complaining about getting too much change back.

Was this a problem in the previous 3 threads? Cuz I find it odd that it took until the 4th thread for all hell to break loose on what seemed like a non issue previously.

Was this a problem in the previous 3 threads? Cuz I find it odd that it took until the 4th thread for all hell to break loose on what seemed like a non issue previously.

I really think the complainers are just crying sour grapes because they never win anything. This thread gets hundreds of posts a day and maybe five or ten relate to giveaways. It is not an issue at all. But I really wish a mod would weigh in on one side or the other; either banish giveaways to their own thread, or declare them acceptable and silence the whiners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom