• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Thanks guys for checking out End Night. Thanks also for the great feedback, it's really helpful.

Was actually terrified about the game releasing so took yesterday away from the internet and went snowboarding to avoid reviews : )

Congrats on the Touch Arcade review, it is sure to help drive sales. Best of luck to you!

i do have an iPhone version in the works, but still trying to get some elements working on that screen size, so hopefully have more information soon.

Just saw touch arcade just put up their review, it's 4/5 which is pretty exciting : )

Edit: Also, going to put up some numbers in the indy game development thread if anyone is interested in sales stuff for a low budget release like this

Wha?@ What is this Indie Dev thread that you speak of??

anyone know if pinball arcade performs better on ipad2?

i'm playing on ipad1 and the graphics are nice enough. textures can be a little murky at times. but i'm wondering if it runs at 60fps on ipad2? it definitely does not on ipad1.

dream

This is so fascinating.

http://aeiowu.com/365-puzzlejuice-emails-pt-1/

The developers of Puzzlejuice published the entire history of the game's development -- which, as it turns out, was all done via email -- chronicingly everything from the conception of the game to their concerns about the similarities between Puzzlejuice and Spell Tower to post-release problems they had to address.

Minsc

Gold Member
anyone know if pinball arcade performs better on ipad2?

i'm playing on ipad1 and the graphics are nice enough. textures can be a little murky at times. but i'm wondering if it runs at 60fps on ipad2? it definitely does not on ipad1.

As far as I understand the only difference currently is the iPad 2 has AA, performance is the same, it still gets choppy on one of the tables. I think the iOS/Android launches were pushed out a little early because they're free to update and Farsight could use a little cash. It feels like it's 60fps for the most part on an iPhone 4 to me, on Arabian Nights anyway. The camera pans as it zooms in and out are extremely smooth if not. Textures have been getting complaints as well, but again, on a smaller device like the iPhone, they actually look really sharp. I think in a few months it should be in tip-top shape! They need to focus on the console/PC/handheld releases, and then they can start really optimizing for the platforms and focusing on all the DLC tables.

From what I've read, the iPad 1 performance is significantly faster than the what I must assume to be the average Android device, people were complaining on their facebook page the beta performance of the Android port lacked quite a bit against an iPad.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I tried a table in the free version of Pinball Arcade, is there no fixed camera angle that doesn't zoom in places, like the fixed view in War Pinball and Pinball HD (btw I wish they'd let me update to that new version that unlocks all these tables in one making it similar to Pinball Arcade without rebuying)? Also, the interface is clunky. The rest seems good but I'm not sure I'll bite...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Spice Invaders is free and seems pretty good so far, and I'm not even a big fan of tower defence...

But the reviews say there's tons of crap IAP etc. Although all it shows in the list is "spice' which is basically earned in-game too and used to unlock upgrades and skills and stuff, I think. I'd say try it and decide yourself, it seems well put together.

GeekyDad

Spice Invaders is free and seems pretty good so far, and I'm not even a big fan of tower defence...

But the reviews say there's tons of crap IAP etc. Although all it shows in the list is "spice' which is basically earned in-game too and used to unlock upgrades and skills and stuff, I think. I'd say try it and decide yourself, it seems well put together.

Played through a hefty amount of the game, and I never felt the need to spend money on IAP. You can replay missions for spice and whatnot, and it's not too much of a grind. The multiplayer features were the highlight for me; otherwise, it was pretty much just like playing any number of TD games in Warcraft III -- competent but nothing special.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks man! I'm looking into both of those issues for the first patch

Sweet! I was playing earlier and got all the way to having the heli come in, i must have been no more than 30 secs away from it and got killed as I ran out of ammo. I yelled in fury. Tasty, awesome fury. You win this round, benSks...

Nelo Ice

Banned
So the iPhone versions of Tower Defense Lost Earth and iBlast Moki 2 are .99 yet for some reason I want to wait for the universal versions to drop in the rare case I ever get an iPad crazy or should I just get em anyway?

GeekyDad

Cut the Rope fans might wanna check out Not Without Incident. It's not perfect, but man, it has some really good stuff going on in it. Personally, I prefer it over CTR.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dash is coming back from ban-land in four days iirc, hopefully with a new iOS challenge system.

dream

So the iPhone versions of Tower Defense Lost Earth and iBlast Moki 2 are .99 yet for some reason I want to wait for the universal versions to drop in the rare case I ever get an iPad crazy or should I just get em anyway?

This is absolutely insane.

So I guess The Other Brothers is a platformer.

In response to what somebody said on Touch Arcade's forums:

If it would be simply "run, jump and collect" things game - I would be very disappointed. The art is awesome!

The developer said:

That's what you would expect from a Platformer isn't it? This is not a "Point&Click" game but we would love to hear ideas on how to spice things up if you have any. We do have a few things we want to try but we're always open for people's ideas.

Card Boy

Banned
I think Sega is having a sale, Sonic Cd, 4 a couple others are half price. Also Fifa 12 is $2.99 on iPad, but it's 1.09 gig....

Row

Banned

I never felt that was the case, seems like I'm constantly earning spice when I'm playing.

What I really like about the game is how slick it is, very nice visuals and overall design

Sometimes I really think no one knows what they're talking about when it comes to physics. I will be the first to admit I'm no expect, but it felt fine to me. You see people talking up the phyics of one game, then soon enough people saying it sucks. The visuals I'm not worried about, they'll be much, much better on other platforms as we've already seen, and most likely on iOS too, with updates.

There's no shortage of people who find the physics in Zen/FX series awful, and such people that feel they're pinball experts. Then you get people who say the same about The Pinball Arcade, but there's a consensus TPA's better than the physics in the Williams Collections from before (which people loved), but that's still not good enough for other people I suppose.

Then you get people who are more logical, and say those people just want heavier action, and are probably used to arcades where the tables are tilted more so the ball feels heavier, while Farsight is probably using near-mint tables on a more level "factory" setup. I'm pretty sure Farsight records footage of the tables being played and compares each tables timings and performance against what is in what they release, they do strive for perfection. today.

Good post, what I'll add to that is as pinball machines are mechanical devices they age with play so the ball will react slightly differently over time. So I can play the same pinball machines at two different locations and my performance will vary per machine. I've checked the tilt on the tables by looking at the screw legs to see if the table has been angled too high by an operator.

schick85

So I guess The Other Brothers is a platformer.

In response to what somebody said on Touch Arcade's forums:

The developer said:

Just play it safe by making it into a point & click adventure game, please. Those screenshots uploaded a few pages back look too good to be made into a mediorce platformer.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Good post, what I'll add to that is as pinball machines are mechanical devices they age with play so the ball will react slightly differently over time. So I can play the same pinball machines at two different locations and my performance will vary per machine. I've checked the tilt on the tables by looking at the screw legs to see if the table has been angled too high by an operator.

Yeah, after I spent more time with Pinball Arcade, I realized the physics aren't really as bad as I might have implied. In fact, when the ball's moving really fast, they're pretty darn good. There are just some small things that don't act properly, like the spinning bottle in the Arabian table - it spins too much with too gentle of a nudge from the ball, like it's super-greased or something. I've played that table a few times, and it's definitely not that loose. (Granted, that could have been the fault of my table.)

But really, after playing a while, it's not the physics that bother me. It's just the polish, in general. Compared to Zen Pinball on the iPad, this just looks bad. The lighting is really flat, the textures and geometry aren't very impressive, and some animations (like pulling the launcher back) are choppy or strange. Ironically, when I play Zen Pinball, it feels far more like an actual pinball table, even though it has fantastic things like a ball trail, and impossible geometry. Pinball Arcade plays much more like the Collection games (which obviously makes sense). There's nothing wrong with that... I LOVED the Williams Collection on the Wii. I guess since Pinball FX and Zen Pinball, I've come to expect more polish - both in the visuals, and just the overall feel of the game - and Pinball Arcade (on the iPad, at least) lacks that.

Still, it's a great deal for a buck. I'll even grab a few other tables when they come out. (I'm really hoping for Space Shuttle!)

yogloo

Would get this in a heartbeat but can't stomach the $15 tag. I'm not waiting for $0.99 or anything, but $5-$8 would be fine.

It's worth it. The only thing that's bugging me about Soul Calibur is that you can't assign more than 1 shortcut. I need A+B, B+K and a throw shortcut damn it!

Ash II gold is on sale for $3.

It's pretty much the 'season pass' one where all future chapters are free. Seems like a good deal.

Need to finish up 1 first though =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom