• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
FF Tactics for iPad is out tonight.

Forum page on Touch Arcade suggesting it's been released in New Zealand: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=123448

Pics, click to biggen.

mzl.yssrgoqu.png

mzl.dhwpyivx.png

mzl.mwcbesyy.png

SmokyDave

Yeah, ouch. And people sweat it over 3 dollar games...

People used to sweat over <£5 C64 games and yet we all managed to survive when consoles brought along £39.99 price tags.

There's room for prices to go up on the app store. There'll be bitching and whinging at first, but people will adjust. In 5 years, kids will hear about the wild west days of 59p apps.

Enco

The hell is up with FF games and their shitty price tags?

I spent £5.99 on GTA China Town Wars and since then I've never spent more than £4. Mostly 69p apps.

Anilones

Can anyone give me a quick overview of FFT (gameplay-wise)? The most similar game I can think of, which I have played (and clocked over 100 hours), is Disgaea.

Zia

Edge reviewed Beat Sneak Bandit:

It’s a compliment to say that Beat Sneak Bandit feels like a Rhythm Tengoku minigame taken to its logical extreme; it’s constructed with a precision and a sense of mischief – and, in its final surprise, a generosity of spirit - that echoes the best work of the WarioWare team. The sole investment required here, then, is patience. If only all iOS games could be this passé. [9]

Interesting to note that this is only the second "9" Edge has awarded to a game this year, the first being Triple Town iOS.

Pastry

Banned
I was really interested in picking up FFT when it first came out and now that the iPad version is out I'm all meh. Took too long Square!

The hell is up with FF games and their shitty price tags?

I spent £5.99 on GTA China Town Wars and since then I've never spent more than £4. Mostly 69p apps.

They charge what the market will pay.

I enjoyed FFT... but won't buy it again. If they bring over FF4 ds to ios.... $20? Sure!

Meier

I've passed on FFT for iPhone since it's too much money IMO and this is even worse. There is a very, very slight chance I consider it in the next day or two because I'm gonna be on a 10 hour flight and it would be fun to have.. but I doubt it.

Pastry

Banned
One of the developers here mentioned they would be making a post soon with sales and market data regarding their iOS release. Anyone know what game/developer that was?

LevelNth

Banned
What's the verdict on Square's iPad games? I know I'll be getting FFT for sure, but are any of their other offerings good? I think there's a game Chaos something?

And how do Final Fantasy I, II, III and Chrono and Mana look on the iPad?

Any more impressions on WrestleFest? Touch Arcade thread doesn't seem very positive, but has anyone tried it on iPad with Blutrol? Seems like it would be perfect for that. Would give it a shot but I just sold my iPad in preparation for iPad 3!

Oxn

Quick question.

First time using itunes to purchase a game (GTA Chinatown Wars for $1)

So i purchased it like 4 days ago, how come it hasnt shown up on my bank log yet?

Do i have to like pay off a balance on itunes or something? Kinda like ebay when you sell something and u owe money but they charge you after every month or so?

FHIZ

Quick question.

So i purchased it like 4 days ago, how come it hasnt shown up on my bank log yet?

Do i have to like pay off a balance on itunes or something? Kinda like ebay when you sell something and u owe money but they charge you after every month or so?

iTunes billing is erratic at best. Sometimes they bill me the same day, sometimes it takes a few more days for the charge to be sent through. I have no idea what the system is for that.

Cheebo

Banned
What's the verdict on Square's iPad games? I know I'll be getting FFT for sure, but are any of their other offerings good? I think there's a game Chaos something?

III has a iPad verision and looks great.

Has there been any word that S-E will release IV?

numble

Quick question.

They need to pay credit card processing fees for each transaction, so they usually wait 1 week or so if its just a small amount to charge you what you bought for the whole week.

If you buy a lot in one day, they'll charge you right away though, I think.

Oxn

They need to pay credit card processing fees for each transaction, so they usually wait 1 week or so if its just a small amount to charge you what you bought for the whole week.

If you buy a lot in one day, they'll charge you right away though, I think.

make sense thanks.

I was afraid like it would turn into balance sitting in my itunes and im not aware of it and ruining my credit for a $1 game.

Meier

I bought their original RPG for it and didn't really care for it.. they put out a sequel I believe. Great graphics but just not very interesting IMO. I haven't bought any of their other titles since they're priced prohibitively IMO. Crystal Defenders has been on my appshopper wish list for about 2 years I think, hah.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I hate that the Simpsons game works with Origin, there's a few issues:

1) It checks for updates within the app and downloads them from within every time you start up the app - terrible for 3g users with a data plan who don't want to use the data on updating, and we won't know in advance if there's an update so it's hard to avoid.

2) no gamecenter, but origin support means that the "visit friends for a bonus" feature also works over origin - you can only play with friends if both you and your friend have origin

Crap. Haven't played the game enough to give feedback on the actual content, but those are two biiiiiig minuses right there.

plc268

SE are dicks for not making FFT an Universal app...

You could say that for a lot of games and devs, but at least most of those games aren't $16-$20.

I don't mind the idea of paying a premium price for certain games, but dammit, give me all the bells and whistles (universal app, cloud saving) if you're going to charge $20 for it. Look at ghost trick... $10, and I didn't bat an eye at it. That's a solid premium game done right.

Unfortunately, most Japanese devs have there heads stuck up you know where and don't understand how to price their games on iOS. You can charge more than $5, but give us a reason other than "it's your favorite game from 10 years ago!" Especially when you can get the same game much cheaper on other devices.

Long story short... give me a reason to buy the game, other than touch control.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's very good.

That's all I needed, the game basically had me at the description. Gaf feedback in <1min saying it's good too? BOUGHT.

Edit: waitwait, IAP cardpacks? And because they're in cash i take it there's no way o earn them by playing? Fuck. Now i'm unsure again.

mrkgoo

If I may just plug something here for a moment, we just released an update to Robot Unicorn Attack.

It's now a Universal app (no more separate iPhone and iPad version)
Performance and graphical clarity has been fixed on both older and retina devices
Still just 99 cents!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robot-unicorn-attack/id374791544?mt=8

/plug

I posted over on TA, but I'm guessing the dedicated iPad version is no longer supported. There's no reason to keep it around anymore, right? I can just delete it from my iPad?

If I may just plug something here for a moment, we just released an update to Robot Unicorn Attack.

It's now a Universal app (no more separate iPhone and iPad version)
Performance and graphical clarity has been fixed on both older and retina devices
Thank you, much appreciated!

The retina update before this looked nice but made the game so unresponsive that it was unplayable on my Touch 4.

Now it's more awesome than it ever was. The app starts up in like 2 seconds and is ready to go, which I find makes or breaks quickie type games like this. It's smooth as butter and most importantly, responsive again. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom