• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jimquisition - Winners & Losers E3 2017

The dialogue in Anthem was so obviously fake and scripted I thought it was just the characters speaking for a while haha.

That's, imo, one of the issues about scripted voice chat dialogue. It may mislead some people to believe that it's character chatter.

I definitely thought that was the case for that Rainbow Six E3 trailer a while back. It was in fact Jimquisition who made me realize it was not.

Necron

That Devolver conference really was something...

hnhdnh63gyi49khyerh3.gif

Absolutely surreal and deranged. A perfect encapsulation of the E3 experience. Loved it and I hope they do one next year.

LifeLike

Good lord!! That was fucking awesome Jim. Thanks for making me laugh and having the courage to say the things we all think out loud.

Budi

That's, imo, one of the issues about scripted voice chat dialogue. It may mislead some people to believe that it's character chatter.

I definitely thought that was the case for that Rainbow Six E3 trailer a while back. It was in fact Jimquisition who made me realize it was not.

It's a multiplayer game though, they were quite clearly presenting a multiplayer scenario. I don't think this can be pinned on Ubisoft for trying to mislead or something.

It's a multiplayer game though, they were quite clearly presenting a multiplayer scenario. I don't think this can be pinned on Ubisoft for trying to mislead or something.

Intentionally misleading or not, it definitely can be misleading, which is one of the issues of scripted multiplayer chatter.
And there's a lot of multiplayer games where the characters chat with each other. Especially if it isn't a versus scenario but PvE/AI.

Don't get the projared shade, he puts out some high quality content. He was completely off base with Nintendo's spotlight and giving it the worst grade of E3 worse then EA, but that's not really a reason to shit on the video or him.

Nepenthe

Cried at the Mario Odyssey possession segment, and am mad that I missed Devolver Digital's showing.

As for the mic chatter, it never comes off as authentic when it's so obviously scripted. I'm like a few other people here in that I initially thought it was the characters, and in that context I got a chuckle out of the "I got my suit over the weekend" line. Once I realized those were supposed to be the players, it got cringey.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I didn't think the Anthem co-op chatter was bad. It's ideal communication in a multiplayer game between two adults.

It was less forced than other similar attempts, but still hardly approaching reality.

Regardless, I definitely felt it stole away a lot of intent of the video as I spent more time thinking about the banter than taking in what is actually happening while watching.

I mean since it's a pre-recorded manufactured playthrough anyway, proper dev narration just works better.

Jimrpg

I thought the Anthem mic chat was far better than the horrendously cringey affairs Ubisoft has delivered in the past.

I didn't even really notice the Anthem mic chat was supposed to be fake but I don't go online much. It wasn't as bad as past fake chats I've seen on e3.

Yeah these scripted "player chatter" moments need to stop. Especially in Anthem they made it difficult to tell the difference in the player and the character. Partly because they sounded similar, both were female, and its straight up mixed entirely too well.

Real game chatter is rarely well mixed or sounds good professional. Theres no background noise, person listening to music, the game audio coming through someones mic because its too loud, little kids screaming ect.

At the very least they should start putting a little sentence there stating "simulated player chatter" or something.

Matty77

.... Good god that Gamestop commercial.
That was bad, I don't usually use the term cringe and think it is way overused especially here on GAF but if anything deserves the term cringeworthy that was it, made my skin crawl.

Almost made me embarrassed that this is my chosen hobby and that rarely happens to me.

nbraun80

ya idk, I didn't really find the anthem chat that bad, yeah it felt scripted, but i didn't feel it was that far off from a couple of friends doing a mission in party chat. I understand public games can be a shitfest, but if a party chat with friends sounds like that Division example you may want new friends. Also they talked about xp and bringing some other friends into the game session, not sure how that was confused as in game characters.

Majukun

can't say i would consider what happened to beyond good and evil "growing up with its audience"
if anything it seems like it became more childish

also,the devolver conference should have been played more straight to be funny for me.

red731

Holy shit just got to Half Life 2 screams 😄 😄

ed: Beyond fucking Good fucking and fuckin Evil 2 lmao tru tru

creatchee

Sure the announcement first was amazing, but in the middle of the speech and directly after the press conference when it was more and more clear what this is exactly, I can't remember any bigger live turn around disappointment in the last 4 years of E3 that were bigger.
The Xbox One Announcement where they tried to scam us live in the middle of the press conference, right in our faces, that was bigger, but now comes this. Right now, I would even expect Microtransactions shit to be in it. Who wants to bet?
Oh, the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announcement would come close, but is right behind BG&E2.

Christ, the Xbox One reveal is the Hillary's emails of video gaming at this point.

mclem

Yeah these scripted "player chatter" moments need to stop. Especially in Anthem they made it difficult to tell the difference in the player and the character. Partly because they sounded similar, both were female, and its straight up mixed entirely too well.

I think the idea of demonstrating how they're making strategic choices and how they're reacting to events is reasonable, but it never comes across as plausible. I'm wondering how well it'd work if they did the player chatter but without the fiction that they're people playing the game, instead entirely contextualising it as people demonstrating the game. Which is, after all, what they are.

Of course, then you could quite easily ask why they're using voice chat to demonstrate this at all when it's ultimately for the benefit of the viewing audience, and... that's a fair question. I suppose it still highlights the co-operation aspect if the 'main character' is telling the second player what to do.

Kin5290

I didn't think the Anthem co-op chatter was bad. It's ideal communication in a multiplayer game between two adults.

The Hunt coop chatter sounded like actual coop chatter. Anthem's sounds like it was written and performed by someone who has never played a RPG before.

Tawpgun

RE: the fake mic chatter

I think you need something in between real player talk as seen in E3 2016's Sea of Thieves gameplay reveal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlsN6EO2oU

and what was shown in Anthem/The Division.

The SoT reveal was just really cringey and had too much yelling but you can at least respect they used real players and their reactions.

I like this idea so I would perhaps use developers or the internal testers or community members and try to make sure they hit all the talking points you want to show off

-Freedom to choose what to do and when
-different strategies
-showing loadoats
etc

Top Bottom