• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joker to be played by Heath Ledger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

Wendo said:
heathjoker.jpg

Same source pic as posted before, but this one looks quite good. It's weird how Jokerish his facial features are with the right makeup.

Damn, that doesn't look bad at all actually. It's actually very Killing Joke-esque.

batman-killingjoke.jpg

joke.jpg

teiresias

I'm still not seeing why I shouldn't be google imaging Heath Ledger . . . maybe it's because I'm gay.

[EDIT] Oh . . . I see . . . :lol :lol

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
I have no problem with the casting of Ledger. He got major props from me when I saw Lords of Dogtown. I saw him in the first 10 minutes. Then had no idea where he was until about an hour and a half in. Not even realizing I had seen him the entire time. He's a very good character actor, and I can only pray that he'll do The Joker justice.

P.S.
I too was hoping for Depp, still. The Ledger choice came out of no where.

Dude, you all know that Batman Begins > all other batman movies.

And Cillian Murphy (sp) was awsome in it, as well. He takes the cake as the man with the most Irish Name ever!

hobart

Well... this has been reported as being a true on Batman of Film... site dedicated to the films of Batman... good news source... was also very careful about reporting anything.

Seems as if the offer was "leaked" at Comic-con on purpose... looks like Nolan got his man. They've got two years to pull it off. W/e... the sequel will be fine.

Site: Batman on Film

TheRob

_40303459_dafoe_240wire.jpg

I know he was already a villain in another superhero movie, Spider-Man, but Willem Dafoe would make the perfect Joker. Sadly, this is not the image I wanted to find, but anyone familiar with Spider-Man should remember the scene in which he has this huge evil grin with his eyes all bulging. I immediately thought of Joke when I saw him, and especially when he did that.

Look at him, he's got the chin, nose, and even the freakin' smile. Willem Dafoe FTW!

Edit: Here's another good one to compare Dafoe with Joker.

dafoejs46802699bz5.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
many epic quotes in this thread.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Bloody well better not be. He sucks!

Suburban Cowboy said:
at the end of BB they say he wears a mask. I think ledger could pull of joker if the costume consists of a latex mask instead of just paint.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I don't prefer Ledger, not because of Brokeback, but because he just seems like too much of a pretty boy for the role and seeing him dance around like the Joker would be more of a "laugh at" than "laugh with" thing IMO. I can't imagine him giving an evil laugh that was actually decent. Nolan probably has a different vision of the character (That is, if these rumors are true), but from what I can imagine, this gy just doesn't seem like he would fit the character.

siege said:
Ledger brings the star power, but he would make an awful Joker. I hope it doesn't come to be.

GIVE THIS MAN A PRIZE
thirty said:
heath ledger is a great actor. he'll prove all you haters wrong.

:D :lol :D
Teh Hamburglar said:
"This thread needs an enema!"

180px-Jokermovie.jpg

Haha! I was thinking of bumping this thread up the other night but thought it would just give a mod an excuse to ban me so I didn't. Still hilarious to read through.

Lebron

it's amazing how totally off base all the Heath as Joker mock ups were before the big unveiling. Trust in Nolan indeed.

Jado

Banned
DoctorWho said:
This post should win some sort of fucking prize.

I think this thread is the embodiment of my problem with NeoGAF as a whole.

On Gaf and other similar message boards, full of guys in their late teens/early 20s with tunnel vision, spending the day posting as if they know so much more than professionals with years of expertise in their respective work fields. This bullshit is already going down in the Watchmen trailer thread. With gaming, you instantly had hordes of guys complaining about the new entries of Diablo and SC not looking *exactly* how they think it should.

bill0527

This thread is everything that's wrong with the internet. Too many people who feel the need to share opinions that suck and then the hivemind decides to follow them.

Burai

shitonmychest57
SpeedingUpToStop probably loses this thread hardest as he's now sporting a Heath Joker avatar. That's 180tastic.

ToxicAdam

Is there really a lot of crow in this thread? I see as many (or more) that say Ledger would do a good job. Certainly not the same kind of hate that Shia Labouf got when it was announced he was in Indy.

bill0527 said:
This thread is everything that's wrong with the internet. Too many people who feel the need to share opinions that suck and then the hivemind decides to follow them.

You pretty much nailed it.

Blackjack

Frank the Great said:
Heath Ledger is going to play the Joker?

That'll never work. It'll be either Depp or Brody, Ledger is too much of a prettyboy.
I hear he played a GAY GUY once. So, you know. Obviously his Joker will be super gay, too. That's how that works, right?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
jett said:
He won't get the chance to prove anything. :p

And I actually don't mind Ledger, but as the Joker? Feck no.

28vq3if.jpg

Had to be done... he actually posted several times early in the thread saying no way he should be joker ending with a "why nolan why *cries*" :lol

Shinobi

Morbid Angel said:

:lol

Jado said:
On Gaf and other similar message boards, full of guys in their late teens/early 20s with tunnel vision, spending the day posting as if they know so much more than professionals with years of expertise in their respective work fields. This bullshit is already going down in the Watchmen trailer thread. With gaming, you instantly had hordes of guys complaining about the new entries of Diablo and SC not looking *exactly* how they think it should.

Indeed...it's always been thus. Most people just can't see the forest from the trees.

I always figured, if Nolan is cool with Ledger, there must be something there. Alas most people were just looking at who'd play Nicholson's Joker, instead of the Joker that Nolan had in mind.

What's even funnier is how Nicholson's Joker has basically been turned into a footnote. :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Burai said:
SpeedingUpToStop probably loses this thread hardest as he's now sporting a Heath Joker avatar. That's 180tastic.
What can I say? If this thread took place after I'm Not There (or even The Prestige), I would have had a different opinion. He really was a pretty boy in all of his major roles: 10 things I hate about you, Knight's tale, Brokeback. Even the Patriot. to say he was menacing in anything popular film he's been in would be a lie. There's really two opinions in this thread: People who trused Nolan (which I would've been one of if this thread took place after the Prestige was released) and people who were skeptical of Ledger (whcih i wouldN'T have been one of if this thread took place after I'm Not There). I guess I'll eat crow, but it's not like any of us ever had any solid evidence of his true ability.

bill0527 said:
Oh please. You act as if the film was over with production when this thread came about. To say Ledger wouldn't be convincing was not a huge deal back then. Get over yourself. we really oughta be bumping the thread where the first trailer with Ledger in it was revealed - then we'll see where the real crow is.

Zio

bill0527 said:

i like that word, hivemind.

i just saw the movie last night. heath did an impeccable performance. i felt sad during the movie thinking he's gone now :(

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I guess I'll eat crow, but it's not like any of us ever had any solid evidence of his true ability.

Even though he was a "pretty boy" in Brokeback Mountain (I mean, who gives a fuck what he was a "pretty boy" in - not that I agree entirely with that term with his role in that movie), his role showed his ability to transform. I mean, I get it, people around here are more impressed with comic book films than gay cowboy films, but even if I had some issues with the film, it certainly showed his "true" ability as an actor.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Love To Love You Baby said:
Even though he was a "pretty boy" in Brokeback Mountain (I mean, who gives a fuck what he was a "pretty boy" in - not that I agree entirely with that term with his role in that movie), his role showed his ability to transform. I mean, I get it, people around here are more impressed with comic book films than gay cowboy films, but even if I had some issues with the film, it certainly showed his "true" ability as an actor.
Like i said though, there was no menace in any of his roles. He could transform for sympathetic characters, but absolutely nothing he's done indicated that he could be a symbol of pure evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom