• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters Online (it's a MOBA)

.... I'd play it. No shame. I'd play it.

Do all MOBAs have the same basic layout? Like a base in each corner, lane down the middle, lanes to the left and right?

Some games (Heroes of Newerth for example) have other maps made for 3v3, or other 5v5 maps but in general they're never as well known or as popular as the standard three lane map you always see (single lane All Random All Middle maps aside). Players like that sort of familiarity, I suppose.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Do all MOBAs have the same basic layout? Like a base in each corner, lane down the middle, lanes to the left and right?
LoL has a few different gamemodes with different maps, but pretty much. HoN, LoL and Dota all use the same basic lane layout with a river in the middle - the jungles are still different though.

Dawngate's map is very different. Two lanes and a top and bottom jungle with objectives

danthefan

Some games (Heroes of Newerth for example) have other maps made for 3v3, or other 5v5 maps but in general they're never as well known or as popular as the standard three lane map you always see (single lane All Random All Middle maps aside). Players like that sort of familiarity, I suppose.

LoL has a few different gamemodes with different maps, but pretty much. HoN, LoL and Dota all use the same basic lane layout with a river in the middle - the jungles are still different though.

Dawngate's map is very different. Two lanes and a top and bottom jungle with objectives

Thanks. I'm sure you can guess I'm not much of a MOBA player. I've heard DOTA is a bit like gaming crack and I don't have 1000 hours to put into it, alas.

Thanks. I'm sure you can guess I'm not much of a MOBA player. I've heard DOTA is a bit like gaming crack and I don't have 1000 hours to put into it, alas.

A lot of the times it seems like people either like them or don't enjoy them/don't play them and don't plan to play them, it's rare to see a middle ground there.

Maybe a KoF one will change that since it'll probably consist of players banding together for SNK's sake

Loona

Not sure about this, but more money in SNK's general direction isn't a bad thing - if this gets an international release in english I'll probably give it a spin.

For those more familar with the genre, which free game does it seem to be resembling the most, if one feels like training for it?

Seems even the chinese without the proper licence know how to do a better "KoF" Game...

136103.jpg

20111129153427193.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I believe thats King of Combat, and they actually have the KOF license.
They recently announced Terry Bogard and Benimaru Nikaido as playable characters.

I believe thats King of Combat, and they actually have the KOF license.
They recently announced Terry Bogard and Benimaru Nikaido as playable characters.

They have it now? It started of as a Clone though, a really shameless one, that played a lot like KoF. But seems they got the official licence now. Thats cool.

Dec

I'm too casual to play MOBAs. At least with fighting games, I can casually play against the computer, or locally with friends who are equally as bad. I don't have the time to build enough skill to avoid getting booted from MOBA matches by assholes who have zero patience with people who don't live the game. Nevermind actually winning a match.

You can play against bots in MOBA's too. Even you and 4 bots vs. 5 bots and you can choose how skilled the bots are in Dota 2.

Did I say five? I meant eight. Anyway, it's called Days of Memories and it was originally done for cell phones and some of them were on the DS too. Here's a writeup about them if you're curious.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/daysofmemories/daysofmemories.htm

Eh, I'll play it just because it's KoF but oh god the voices. It's not like SNK is even the one working on it so I can't get mad about it.

Cellphones with a collection of them on DS. It's not really a KoF dating game, it's SNK in general.

One of the things I remember the most is that in I think it was the fourth one you play a girl and can be bff with Ash Crimson and do your nails together in one event. If you want to look them up they're called Days of Memories.

Those games justify their existence even if only because of the cgs >.>
Thank you guys.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
They have it now? It started of as a Clone though, a really shameless one, that played a lot like KoF. But seems they got the official licence now. Thats cool.
They have characters that play exactly like Kyo,Iori (XIII),Leona,Athena and Benimaru

I_D

Awesomenauts is a 2d MOBA with top, middle, and bottom lanes; which, IMO, makes it way more fun than most MOBAs. In all of the 3d MOBAs, the lanes are all basically the same thing, but Awesomenauts can really add variety to the lanes due to height differences.

I've been dying for a MOBA with real fighting controls, but I can already tell from the screenshots and videos that this KoF game uses the mouse. Why even use KoF if it doesn't have any proper fighting? It might as well be a racing game.

Awesomenauts is a 2d MOBA with top, middle, and bottom lanes; which, IMO, makes it way more fun than most MOBAs. In all of the 3d MOBAs, the lanes are all basically the same thing, but Awesomenauts can really add variety to the lanes due to height differences.

I've been dying for a MOBA with real fighting controls, but I can already tell from the screenshots and videos that this KoF game uses the mouse. Why even use KoF if it doesn't have any proper fighting? It might as well be a racing game.

Or a Shoot 'em up or pachinko or a card game....shit what genre have KOF not touched yet?

webrunner

Kart of Fighting?

But seriously, wasn't there already an MMORPG called King of Fighters Online in Korea?

-MD-

I guess that's a plus for DOTA2, but I still hear that the community is pretty toxic to newcomers/casual players. I can see why the genre is popular. Just not for me.

I'm actually pretty competitive in mostly everything I play and I still couldn't handle DOTA 2's community. I played for 150 hours and dealt with it but gave up. Booted it up again last week for the first time all year and had someone typing in game for over an hour telling me to uninstall.

Hastati

I'm actually pretty competitive in mostly everything I play and I still couldn't handle DOTA 2's community. I played for 150 hours and dealt with it but gave up. Booted it up again last week for the first time all year and had someone typing in game for over an hour telling me to uninstall.

That's really terrible. Has Valve talked about community moderation problems like this, or is it about as well managed as their customer support?

That's really terrible. Has Valve talked about community moderation problems like this, or is it about as well managed as their customer support?

Both Valve and Riot are taking steps to quell the infamous community that their games bring, but there's only so much that can be done.

-MD-

They have a pretty strict report system but the problem with that is the game is free to play so people just ignore it and make alt accounts.

I have a friend that's really into DOTA 2 and has like 10 steam accounts he switches back and forth because he's always getting reported and gets played in a lower priority queue/mic banned due to it.

The community is toxic.

And simply not being oversensitive about it can help a lot, by the way.

That would work if it wasn't happening in almost every single match you play in. It gets tiring.

Not to mention if you aren't playing up to someones standards they'll just announce that they've given up and now you're down players, the game is lost and you're stuck there for 30+ minutes eating a loss.

And simply not being oversensitive about it can help a lot, by the way.

There's some truth to this, but usually not being a dick in the first place makes a bigger difference than having to ignore the dude being a dick.

Some people are just being pricks because of internet anonymity.

Some people are going to get uncontrollably salty over something simple like "gg" at the end of a game.

Some people are just kids who don't even know what the n-word means.

Sentenza

That would work if it wasn't happening in almost every single match you play in. It gets tiring.
Yeah, can't really say it happens to me. And it's not like I'm a particularly good player. I would argue the opposite.

By the way, most of the times the worst it can happen is someone saying "OMG you are bad, you suck" etc, and repeating it a few times if he's mad.
Interestingly enough, the more vocal and angry they tend to be, more likely they prove themselves the worst players in the team. And just ignoring them usually helps a lot.

Still, I can't help but feel that all the rants about the "extremely toxic community" are blown incredibly out of proportion, when you compare it with -let's say- playing CoD with a bunch of screaming teenagers on XBL.

P.S. It's also worth noting that, while I still refrain from insulting them because I don't see the point of it, newbies who didn't even bother learning the most basic principles of the game against bots and dive in the matchmaking while being completely clueless about the mechanics can understandably be rage-inducing companions even for what usually are the most mild-mannered players.

There's some truth to this, but usually not being a dick in the first place makes a bigger difference than having to ignore the dude being a dick..
Oh, I agree on this. And I could add that sometimes just admitting a mistake instead of acting over-defensive and/or flaming back someone who just criticized you can get you a long way.

shaowebb

Oh God Yes I will play this.!

more info

At this point in time, very little is known about The King of Fighters Online, but an official website has been launched with videos detailing skills for Kyo, Terry, Joe, Iori, and Tizoc. Screenshots reveal that Ralf, Kasumi, Kula, Vanessa, Shion, Billy, Maxima, and other series veterans will also be making appearances in the title.

Holy crap Shion is back! YES!

Also...TIZOC FOOTAGE
Dat Justice Hurricane...

Haunted

A King of Fighters moba?

Really?

That's... incredible, somehow. Mobas are the new FPS are the new mascot platformers are the new adventure games.

Z..

This could be interesting if you were in direct control of the character, instead of isometric. Come to think of it, why aren't there any MOBAs like that? Oo

I hate companies that just jump on these Fads expecting to make money. First it was FPS, then MMO, then facebook and mobile/social gaming, now its MOBA time

I'm curious to what they want out of this. Do they want a meta where everyone just tries to faceroll each other as soon as a move is off cooldown or do they want specific rolls played and filled?

KoF metagolem Terry incoming?

After looking at the gameplay videos I'm kinda excited, I wish Terry had more Knockback Effects or something akin to Vi, especially with his Power Geyser (slows no pop up,stun, or knock back)

I love the sound of the hit confirms the most. There's times when playing League that I'd feel unsure if I was using a skill correctly because I couldn't hear a decent sound that confirmed it.

Also judging by Iori's basic attacks (seems to be an ADC) I'm thinking that characters may have their combos in the basic attack.

It'd be nice to see a Moba that incorporated more hitstuns and animations kinda like fighting games though, but the confirm sound is lovely, other than that.

Dat Justice Hurricane needs to be a gif.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Curious how characters with grapple moves will work in this.

I did see Tizoc right?

Top Bottom