• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters Online (it's a MOBA)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really, if they made an Awesomenauts-style MOBA for consoles, with gameplay similar to a 2D Beat-em-Up and animation partially inspired by Metal Slug, I might play that just as much as fighters. This actually might be one my dream games that I never knew I wanted until now.

This right here.... interesting. The voices are horribly unfitting, but he actual gameplay could be fun, if it's unique enough.

If this dropped as a F2P on Next-Gen consoles, you can be sure I'd give it a shot!

Bricky

Do all MOBAs have the same basic layout? Like a base in each corner, lane down the middle, lanes to the left and right?

Most of them do. The layout of the lanes is such an important part of the game you can't just go change the amount you have or how they are located without some significant balance issues. Since there are so many roles and characters that work together in such a specific way in MOBA's adding maps is something that often comes with a complete rebalance of the items in the game, and there are a LOT of items in a MOBA. That's why most games stick to the 'standard' map.

I'm too casual to play MOBAs. At least with fighting games, I can casually play against the computer, or locally with friends who are equally as bad. I don't have the time to build enough skill to avoid getting booted from MOBA matches by assholes who have zero patience with people who don't live the game. Nevermind actually winning a match.
1. dota2 has bots and lan
2. dota2 has no kick option

ot: they could have made a fighting-sidescrolling moba, but chose a lol-style instead.

1. dota2 has bots and lan
2. dota2 has no kick option

ot: they could have made a fighting-sidescrolling moba, but chose a lol-style instead.

They probably chose the typical MOBA style (though LoL style does seem more correct as it seems like mechanics such as free teleport to base, summoner spells and the 4 spells + passive kits are going to be implemented) because it would look more recognizable for what it's suppose to be to their target audience. I think they didn't want to take any big risks with changing up the formula, which is kind of a shame.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Most of them do. The layout of the lanes is such an important part of the game you can't just go change the amount you have or how they are located without some significant balance issues. Since there are so many roles and characters that work together in such a specific way in MOBA's adding maps is something that often comes with a complete rebalance of the items in the game, and there are a LOT of items in a MOBA. That's why most games stick to the 'standard' map.

Well, they work in that way in MOBAs that exist today. No reason why a new game can't be designed to work with more maps, etc.

not like this...

not-like-this.gif

Top Bottom